Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sochi Olympic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

robinph wrote: »
    The only way that the competitors to leave their event is through the mixed zone with the media. And that being a single file lane past each new station you basically have to chat or you would look even worse by just blanking your own national media.

Was actually chatting with a guy on the underground during London 2012 who was a doctor for Harlequins Rugby or something normally, but was volunteering in the stadium as part of the medical staff. He said that the only way a competitor could get an excuse to not go through the mixed zone, and not get in trouble for it, was if he said so as the track doctor. Not sure what penalty they would give, but you only get out of the event another way by him putting you on a stretcher.

didnt know this , all grand if your winning but as we have seen , nightmare when your down and emotional.

and above post about Bode , its about the track action not getting a cheap headline and some journos bring the whole spectacle down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

tunguska wrote: »
    NBC reporter being a bit of a twat with her interview of Bode Miller after the mens super G.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/02/bode-miller-cries-interview.html

Bode has all ready said he had no problem with the interview or the questions so no big deal.

Florence Bell crashed out at gate 12 today unlucky in tough conditions and with little experience. But experience for the future I hope

Conor Lyne got the worst bib possible with his seeding which is a shame but he has in previous races destroyed his bib placing and moved up 15-30 places, let's hope tomorrow is his day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Pierre Vaultier…. wow. Did his ACL in December. So impressive to come back from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Pierre Vaultier…. wow. Did his ACL in December. So impressive to come back from that.
    And De Le Rue who came fourth was in a coma a month a go, the Frenchies had a great comeback yesterday! :) It's a long time since I saw someone so delighted to come fourth! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Fattes wrote: »
    Bode has all ready said he had no problem with the interview or the questions so no big deal.

Thats because he's a classy guy, probably too classy, she was being way too pushy and needed to exercise a little common sense. Hopefully Bode wont call it quits though and will be back for Korea in 4 yrs time.
    Ski-cross tomorrow......gonna be carnage.

The Norwegians were unreal in the biathlon relay. Unbeatable!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Another medal for the UK. Just have to decide what colour it is tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

And De Le Rue who came fourth was in a coma a month a go, the Frenchies had a great comeback yesterday! :) It's a long time since I saw someone so delighted to come fourth! :)

Good snowboarding pedigree in that family. I watched Xavier in 'mission steep' a couple months ago and it was absolutely mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Has anyone been watching the Biathlon races? Some great races this Olympics, following Martin Fourcade, he was pipped at the post by 3 cm this morning in the mass start!
    Absoluvely wrote: »
    The one shot that Fourcade missed really cost him.
    It restores Norway as favourites to win the medals table as well.
    Very true.
    It cost him but at the same time, it was impressive how he caught up as well.
    tunguska wrote: »
    Absolutley. I logged on here today expecting everybody to be buzzing about that race, but barely a word???? Phenomenal race, fourcade's shooting was perfect, especially at the last stop. But what was Svendsen at throwing his arms into the air and almost getting done on the line. Shades of Steve Ovett there.......

Had the chance to follow the race from Martin Fourcade's home ground in Font Romeu yesterday. The atmosphere was unreal there!

The image (after the 3rd shooting IIRC) when Svendsen and Moravec were climbing the hill and, in the back, Fourcade appeared out of a corner charging on them like a predator on its preys gave shivers to the whole room and will probably remain as one of THE image of these Winter Olympics, at least for us in France :D. His last shooting was immense too. Hurrying up his shooting to put the pressure on them. Fair play to Svendsen to keep calm and not make any mistake. He managed his race extremely well and was a little bit fresher for the final sprint. Fourcade made the mistake of opening the inner last curve to let Svendsen pass him. He said it was deliberate as he wanted to benefit from his motion to overtake him in the home stretch but reacted too late...

Biathlon is a really exciting sport to watch anyhow. Looking forward to the relays now.

Norway were impressive in the mixed relay this afternoon. They've already taken a psychological advantage for the other relays. It's a pity Anais Bescond bungled completely her first shooting. It killed all our medal chances frown.png. Should she be more clinical with her shooting she could well be on 3 medals by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Conor had a bit of a mare in the GS today a DNF but the end result was no surprise Ligety and Pantierau the two most consistent GS skiers all year

Men's ski cross in the AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

fannymagee wrote: »

I hope you realize that pic is photoshopped, and that it's a fake news website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

GvidoR wrote: »
    I hope you realize that pic is photoshopped, and that it's a fake news website.

Did you miss the wink in that post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Did you miss the wink in that post?

Nope, I missed to put a "tongue out" smiley in my post! :P

Nope, I missed to put a "tongue out" smiley in my post! :P

Oh thank God ;-) Although your question made me laugh more than the article did!! Now, where's that tongue out smiley ;-P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Awesome finish in the skicross. Three guys on their backside and photo finish which literally comes down to a fingernail deciding who goes through. :D

brilliant viewing the ski cross :)
    last couple of days , will miss these olympics :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Watching the Bronze Medal match in the Womans Curling, was looking forward to the ski cross but had to give up due to poor picture quality. Picture went just at the finish of the first qtr final, and again when replaying and showing the photo. Continued to have ststic during the next race.

:(

Oh My God! :eek:

Women's ice hockey, USA vs Sweden.

2nd period just started and USA is leading with 3:0 (shots on goal are 37:2)
    The game ended with a score 6:1

USA had 70 shots on goal, Sweden had 9. :eek:

Yeah there's now quite a big shift in level between Canada & USA and the rest of the world..

fryup wrote: »
    can ice hockey games not end in a draw?? that was a group match so i can't understand the need for peno's
    Ice hockey games can't end in a draw. If the score is tied after first 60 minutes, the game goes into 5 minute overtime. The first team to score wins the game. If no goal is scored, the game goes into a shootout.
    The way the competition works, every match is worth exactly three table points. A regular-time victory gives you all 3 points. An overtime- or penalties-victory gives you 2 points with the losers getting the other point.

I don't think draws are allowed in any big hockey tournaments. They always play overtime to find a winner. Same in basketball.

I think I've only half-answered your question though. You'd probably have to look into the history of the event to find out why they don't use a 6-Nations-style format or a Premier League-style format.

I think the rules differ from one country to another. I also think that international rules changed back in 2006-07.
    When I was playing in France (though never made it to senior level ; stopped at under -17, -18) we were not playing overtime in the regular season. I experienced one overtime game in a play-off round and we played 2 periods of 5 minutes (sudden-death type) followed by a shootout if necessary (that we eventually won :D).

Found all info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtime_%28sports%29#Ice_hockey
    The bold part explains what we're seeing at these Winter Olympics ;).
    Ties are common in ice hockey due to the game's low-scoring nature. If the score is tied at the end of regulation play, certain leagues play overtime.
    • NHL (regular season): If a game is tied after regulation time (three 20-minute periods), the teams play in a sudden death five-minute overtime period, with a goaltender and four skaters per side (as opposed to the standard five). If nobody scores in the overtime period, the teams engage in a "penalty shootout" where 3 skaters, selected by the head coaches on the teams, go one-on-one against the opposing goaltender, taking the puck at center ice for a "penalty shot." If the shootout remains tied after the initial 3 rounds, the shootout continues in a sudden-death fashion; no player may participate in a shootout twice unless the entire active roster (excluding the backup goaltender) has been exhausted, which so far has never happened. The greatest number of shooters in a single shootout was 30 during a game between the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals. Rangers defensemen Marek Malik gave New York a 3–2 shootout and game victory on a trick move.
    The 5-minute overtime period was introduced for regular season games beginning with the 1983–84 NHL season, but with teams at full strength on the ice. Overtime in the regular season was reduced to four skaters a side starting in the 2000–2001 season The "shootout" was introduced for the 2005–06 NHL regular season. Previously, ties during the regular season were allowed to stand if not resolved in overtime.
    • NHL (post-season): Following an intermission, an additional full 20-minute period is played. Teams remain at full strength unless this is affected by penalties during the third period. A goal ends the game in sudden death; if neither team scores, another intermission is taken, followed by an additional overtime period. The teams change ends of the ice for each period. This has made for lengthy games in the history of the NHL playoffs, with some games going as far as five or six overtimes before the deciding goal is scored.
    • NCAA (regular season): If a game is tied at the end of regulation, the teams play a sudden-death 5-minute overtime. Both teams play at full strength, unless affected by penalties. If neither team scores during overtime, the game ends in a tie.
    • NCAA (in-season tournaments): For tournaments held during the season (such as the Beanpot and Great Lakes Invitational), in which advancement or determination of a champion is necessary, organizers have the option of either using the post-season overtime procedure or using the regular-season procedure followed by a penalty shootout. Statistics from a shootout are not counted by the NCAA, and a game decided by a shootout is considered a tie for NCAA tournament selection purposes.
    • NCAA (post-season): Same as the NHL overtime procedure above, except that all overtimes are played with the teams defending the same ends as for the third period. Games decided in overtime are considered wins or losses rather than ties, regardless of how many overtimes are played.
    • International (round robin): As of the 2007 IIHF World Championships, the IIHF instituted the "three point rule", which not only awarded the winning team three points for a regulation win, but awarded them two points for a win in a 5 minute overtime period or a Game Winning Shot (shootout). Games in IIHF round robins can therefore no longer end in a tie. In the World Cup of Hockey in 2004, the NHL's tiebreaking procedure at the time was followed: there was a five-minute sudden death period at four skaters per side, and if the score remained tied after the overtime period, it stood as a tie. The game between Sweden and Finland ended in a 4–4 tie after 65 minutes.
    • International (medal rounds): Various tiebreaking procedures have been used for international tournaments, with all of them save one (World Cup of Hockey 2004) following a common theme: one period varying in length of sudden-death overtime followed by a shootout of five skaters per side (as opposed to the NHL's three skaters per side; it also differs in that if the shootout does not resolve the tie, the same five skaters then shoot again). The length of the overtime period has varied between 5, 10, and 20 minutes, and 5-on-5 and 4-on-4 formats have been used. The most recent format used was at the 2010 Olympics (particularly in the gold medal game); there were 20 minutes of 4-on-4 followed by a shootout. In 2006, it was 20 minutes of 5-on-5. All men's games ended in regulation during the medal rounds, while the women's semifinal between the United States and Sweden required a shootout to determine the winner. At the World Cup of Hockey in 2004, the NHL's postseason tiebreaking procedure was used (multiple 20-minute periods of 5-on-5 until a goal is scored). The only overtime game in the playoff round was the semifinal between the Czech Republic and Canada. Canada won 4–3 with a goal 2 minutes and 16 seconds into the first overtime period.

Full article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtime_%28ice_hockey%29
    By the way, to finish this giant post :D, just a word on the national nightmare in Russia today with yesterday's upset result. Though, to me Finland was favorite. Always an underrated team.

I am very pleased they made it to the semis and would love see them getting the gold.

I really enjoy their playing based on a collective passing game, using their skating skills and technical skills stick in hand rather than their physicality. Teemu Selanne goal yesterday was a good example of that (the "grand-dad" 44 years of age is still there :eek:!). Yesterday's game was some kind of a lesson in that perspective. The Russians tried to much to win the game on their own with their star players (Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk etc...) and were pretty rough in their checkings. I'm glad the opposite tactic worked :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

God, the BBC coverage! It's completely silly! They have a camera on a shopping trolley, one of the guests the other day did a dance, their 'studio' is the outside cordoned off part of a cafe. Hardly any of the commentators are experts in the sport they are commenting on. They laughed when a competitor fell on a down hill ski course. They make up silly pet names for groups and people.

They think that just because they are **** at winter sports compared with countries with mountain ranges and ski resorts they can act the maggot and treat the thing like a free holiday and a farce. Claire Balding is the lead anchor on the highlight show... if there was a horse attached to skiis she'd be perfect but there isn't and she doesn't have a clue. :mad:

cloudatlas wrote: »
    God, the BBC coverage! It's completely silly! They have a camera on a shopping trolley, one of the guests the other day did a dance, their 'studio' is the outside cordoned off part of a cafe. Hardly any of the commentators are experts in the sport they are commenting on. They laughed when a competitor fell on a down hill ski course. They make up silly pet names for groups and people.

They think that just because they are **** at winter sports compared with countries with mountain ranges and ski resorts they can act the maggot and treat the thing like a free holiday and a farce. Claire Balding is the lead anchor on the highlight show... if there was a horse attached to skiis she'd be perfect but there isn't and she doesn't have a clue. :mad:

Lol- Loved this rant Cloudatlas!! Fair point though, I've only seen a few bits of BBC coverage but it does seem a bit giddy :-)

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    brilliant viewing the ski cross :)
    last couple of days , will miss these olympics :(

Proving again why ski cross is the finest ski discipline there is right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

WIthout the BBC effort we would be stuck with nothing, lets face it
    At least online BBC site we can see everything including Irish athletes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's a shame you're not a fan of it. Im actually really enjoying the coverage from the bbc. Claire Balding is a sports presenter so there's no reason why she shouldn't anchor the highlights show. She interviews 'the experts' about the discipline they've just shown. She can't know everything about everything.

Here in France, I've been finding French tv coverage pretty good. They try to give a wide range of all the sports, but also making sure to cover the events French athletes are participating in. Then if they can't show a particular event because of a clash, you can see it on the net apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

some fine looking women in the curling yesterday :)

vicki adams of GB and christina bertup of sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

jvan wrote: »
    That's a shame you're not a fan of it. Im actually really enjoying the coverage from the bbc. Claire Balding is a sports presenter so there's no reason why she shouldn't anchor the highlights show. She interviews 'the experts' about the discipline they've just shown. She can't know everything about everything.

I'm enjoying the events despite the BBC's irreverance for the competition. I like a bit of humour thrown in but the silliness is prevasive and wouldn't have been the norm during the summer olympic coverage. Another example: they have a mock up of a podium that they superimpose cut outs of the GB medal winners so far and have them jump up and down on it :confused: ??? It's something a child would do. The athletes have trained for years to compete and I think the bbc are just taking the piss because they are sore losers at the end of the day, 'we aren't winning so **** it' kind of attitude.

I think the coverage is great. Not taking themselves too seriously, not spending too much of my license fee on renting a studio, most of the presenters being out in the middle of the park amongst the goings on (only Hazel Irvine appears to have an indoors job). Getting people involved in the social media side of things, they had Southampton FC playing "curling" in their dressing room yesterday.
    Claire Balding is an excellent sports presenter now after doing an excellent job for the Channel 4 Paralympic coverage in 2012. Rather her than them sticking Gary Linekar in as the main lead.

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying the events despite the BBC's irreverance for the competition. I like a bit of humour thrown in but the silliness is prevasive and wouldn't have been the norm during the summer olympic coverage. Another example: they have a mock up of a podium that they superimpose cut outs of the GB medal winners so far and have them jump up and down on it :confused: ??? It's something a child would do. The athletes have trained for years to compete and I think the bbc are just taking the piss because they are sore losers at the end of the day, 'we aren't winning so **** it' kind of attitude.

They were doing the same level of sillyness in the Gabby Logan highlights show during London Olympics, but none of that was considered taking the piss. It's just appropriate levels of not taking yourself too seriously.

Now there were complaints from the lack of seriousness during the first slopestyle competition where UK got a bronze. There was a bit more silliness than normal at that point, but nothing I thought was worth complaining to the BBC over.

Here in France, I've been finding French tv coverage pretty good. They try to give a wide range of all the sports, but also making sure to cover the events French athletes are participating in. Then if they can't show a particular event because of a clash, you can see it on the net apparently.

Yeah you can choose which live event you want to follow on www.francetvsport.fr (you can all give it a try but I think you can only access it from French territories). You can even see replays of events (there just seems to be a problem with the women ice hockey final which is raging :mad:). Same as London Olympics and I think Vancouver 2010 was the same too.
    Good to have some expert consultants from pretty much each sport too.
    That being said we are a winter sport country so it is expected that we get a proper high standard coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Far too much curling for my liking! Real pity Eurosport didn't get in on the action as they would have given far more coverage of the Nordic events etc. in fairness to the bbc at least the games are getting a lot of air time.

omega man wrote: »
    Far too much curling for my liking! Real pity Eurosport didn't get in on the action as they would have given far more coverage of the Nordic events etc. in fairness to the bbc at least the games are getting a lot of air time.

Every event is being covered live on the red button, just they have to show the actual UK interest stuff on the real TV channels whenever it's on, and with curling resulting in two medals that is the right choice. If there was an Irish competitor in the ice fishing competition you'd rightly be expecting RTE to be devoting a large chunk of their coverage to that if they were in with a medal chance regardless of how boring it might be to watch for the non-ice fishing aficionados.

i think Claire Balding has been great, she has been given a lot of space to let her character shine through.

and i welcome some humour and fun being brought back into sport!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Florence Bell (IRL) will be doing her first run in the Slalom in a minute.

PM me for a link!

Currently 50th position (3rd last) after her first run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Watching the curling final through my fingers here. Team GB completely falling apart. Feel sorry for em.

The guys doing the first 4 stones for UK in each end are making loads of mistakes by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    i think Claire Balding has been great

In fairness, she sounds like she's about to cry at the moment

I guess that Italy are lucky that the failed test was done before there were any qualifying rounds in the 4 man bob, the team still gets to take part though as they can bring in another athlete:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26289156

A German biathlete has also failed a test.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Elise Christie must be the most unfortunate athlete at these games

• Advertisement

devastated :(

Surely once, maybe twice is unfortunate but 3 times...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Have they said what she was penalised for? I thought she was sure to be put through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Have they said what she was penalised for? I thought she was sure to be put through.

No the commentators can't figure it out

apparently she was penalised for impeding another racer
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26070442

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

A harsh decision I think. Hopefully she'll be back in 4 years, she's obviously fast enough for medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is that why she's getting abuse online? some people think she's a cheat? or are there other reasons?

fryup wrote: »
    is that why she's getting abuse online? some people think she's a cheat? or are there other reasons?

She can hardly be cheating if she's getting penalised in each race. People are just abusing her online because they are idiots.

she was getting the abuse from Korea.
    the girl she bumped with in the 1st race was a big medal hope as well and i suppose the idiots there took to twitter to blame elise.

maybe a few numpties from over here were sending abusive messages but my understanding was that it was only from Korea for the above reason.

She certainly isnt a cheat :) from what i seen of her she was miles ahead of everyone and with a better rub of the green would of taken 3 medals and at least one gold.

all our family were glued to the screen today and we were all devastated for her :( cruel really but she will be back and if she focuses her obvious talent we have a Winter Olympics legend in the making.

Give it a rest with the British sentimentalities guys.

She "walked the line" in at least 2 of them. I watched her interviews and it was clear she knew she cheated. She bent the rules and got caught. She knew it, she knew we knew it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement