Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from North to South - any advice on firearm cert

Options
  • 07-01-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks,

I'm going to be moving to Galway from N. Ireland in the next 6 months and I currently hold a gun licence for a shotgun in the North (still a few years left on it).

Does anyone know if I can transfer my existing cert to an Irish one as if it were a renewal application or would I have to apply for a new Irish cert as though I've never held a firearm cert before? :(

Is it hard to get a firearm cert in Ireland even if you hold one from another "country" :rolleyes:. I have no convictions etc.

Hard to find any info on psni and garda websites so any advice at all is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Will be a completely new application..you'll have to have your land permissions etc. sorted out before you apply too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

A buddy of mine did this recently and he had to wait until he'd been living here 6 months before he could even apply for a full certificate here as there's a residency requirement in the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anas Acuta

I did this a few years ago, one way round it is to apply for an out of state licence from your UK/NI address costs €40 a year per gun. Once you have that you are legal to hold a gun in Ireland - then go and see your local FO in Galway and explain your predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Anas Acuta wrote: »
    I did this a few years ago, one way round it is to apply for an out of state licence from your UK/NI address costs €40 a year per gun. Once you have that you are legal to hold a gun in Ireland - then go and see your local FO in Galway and explain your predicament.

Surely the out of state licence is for a UK/NI licence holder to visit ROI not live in ROI. It's not a "predicament" as you call it, more like trying to circumvent the law.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When getting a non-resident's visitors pass for shooting in Ireland you must declare the arrival date, and departure date. You might be granted it on the basis of staying for a "years holiday" and in the interim apply for a full Irish license.

I'm no legal expert but i don't see the issue with this process if you are granted the year long visitor's pass. You have followed all laws, and done it legally. The only issue i could see is if the application for the years holiday is refused (i don't think they would issue it based on you being in the Republic for an entire year as it's not a holiday), or if the license takes longer to process than remains on the visitors pass (allowing for 6 months residency, and at least 3 months processing time). You would need to return the firearm to NI for storage/sale.

The last thing would be the actual non-resident's pass. When applying for it you do so honestly and in good faith. To apply for one knowing you are actually moving may be classed as a fraudulent application and if you apply for a license on the firearm during the period the pass is valid they will soon cop on to it.

It is a loophole to the process, but without having more experience to the specifics of the process and the legalities involved i'd be very cautious about following that route.

If it were me i'd store the gun in NI, live for the 6 months in ROI, then apply for the license, and have it all nice, legal, and above reproach.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aibhlinn

Thanks to everyone who replied, I know a few have mentioned about the visitor's pass and 6 months is long enough to wait to apply for a new licence (though I guess it gives me time to find a landowner or two who wouldn't mind me traipsing about) but I'd rather everything was above board...just in case (call me over cautious!).

Was having a read through the Irish cert application and it says to provide evidence of competency...I take it holding of a NI firearm cert would count?

Just saw some folks asking on other threads about it depending on the garda station etc if you needed to go on a training course.

Thanks
    Aibhlinn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Aibhlinn wrote: »
    Was having a read through the Irish cert application and it says to provide evidence of competency...I take it holding of a NI firearm cert would count?

Should be just fine.

Training courses are not mandatory only proof of competence to hold the firearm. The fact you are already a licensed firearm holder should be perfect to show competence.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anas Acuta

rsole1 wrote: »
    Surely the out of state licence is for a UK/NI licence holder to visit ROI not live in ROI. It's not a "predicament" as you call it, more like trying to circumvent the law.

Rsole1, I had been an out of state licence holder for 15 years + before I knew I was moving to ROI. The local FOI could not have been more helpful when applying for my new Irish licence.

Once it was granted I simply sent my old NI licence back to the PSNI with a covering letter and copy of my new Irish licence.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

FWIW I know a UK shooter on a non-resident permit for more than a year with the full knowledge and cooperation of the local Gardai.

It may not have been the intended purpose of the non-resident permit but if you're open about it with your local Gardai I would imagine they'd be happy to give you a non-resident permit to cover the 6 month gap.

Advertisement