Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowry's Furniture Shop, Kilkenny

Options
  • 07-01-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Has anyone had dealings with Lowry's Furniture Shop in Kilkenny? In recent dealings with them in relation to a faulty three piece suite, I have to say that their customer service experience lets a lot to be desired. This issue has been ongoing since 9th November 2013 and it has yet to be resolved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you provide some specifics on the issue that you're facing? This will help posters give you advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fiery84

dudara wrote: »
    Can you provide some specifics on the issue that you're facing? This will help posters give you advice.

A leather three piece suite was purchased from this store in July 2012. In October 2013, we noticed a tear in the leather and that the leather started to wear in places. The store was contacted in early November.

This first problem still wasn't resolved and the middle part of the settee collapsed on the 20th December.

The store has yet to resolve this problem which is now ongoing for two months. I am looking for a refund for all the three piece suite and the poor customer service which has been received but the store is insisting on replacing the three piece suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Does it not sound like reasonable customer service if they're offering to replace it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me or am I missing something?

Seems to me the reason this is being held up so long is because you wont accept the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What caused the tear? That sounds like something that happened on your watch.

If the leather is wearing so soon, then that doesn't sound like the sofa was of good enough quality. But again, are you putting it through a lot of use? i.e. kids jumping up and down.

A replacement sounds perfectly reasonable in this scenario and well within your rights under consumer law.

If an item is defective, or not fit for purpose intended, then you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It's not up to you to choose, instead it's supposed to be mutually agreeable between you and the supplier. If you reject a reasonable offer, then you're not placing yourself in a good position to proceed further.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Replacement sounds perfectly reasonable to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Op is totally unreasonable in looking for a refund. Store being excellent and fully 100% meeting their obligations.

I suppose if you had a fault wih a car after almost a year and a half, you would be expecting a full refund too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I thought by Consumer Law the shop have the option 1. To repair or 2. Replace or 3. To Refund. By the same law the shop gets to pick which one of the three they do.

Looks like the issue is with you rather than the customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Miaireland wrote: »
    I thought by Consumer Law the shop have the option 1. To repair or 2. Replace or 3. To Refund. By the same law the shop gets to pick which one of the three they do.

Looks like the issue is with you rather than the customer service.

They get to pick which option they want to offer but they don't get to dictate which option you settle on. It's a process of agreeing on a reasonable solution or letting the Court decide it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

slimjimmc wrote: »
    They get to pick which option they want to offer but they don't get to dictate which option you settle on. It's a process of agreeing on a reasonable solution or letting the Court decide it for you.
    In most circumstances, if the seller offers one of the three standard remedies the court will not entertain a plaintiff who refuses that remedy.

The exceptions would be where (a) the remedy was patently unreasonable (e.g. offering a "replacement" that was not like-for-like) or (b) a particular remedy had been tried and was not satisfactory (e.g. an effort at repair had already been tried and had failed).

• Advertisement
Advertisement