Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fifa 2014 - Long time since I played Fifa ...

Options
  • 07-01-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

I have never played Fifa before but I got it with my xbox one so I thought I'd give it a go. Struggling a bit since I don't know a lot about soccer and the FUT is not the easiest when you don't know which club the players belong to.

I'm keeping a blog of my efforts
    http://mandomizer.com/?p=28

I managed to get promoted :D But now I seem to get my ass kicked because nearly every other team im playing against runs faster, kicks better and generally sucks less..

My last Fifa was on the SNES and everything was so much easier, short pass long pass run and shoot :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xcellor wrote: »
    I have never played Fifa before but I got it with my xbox one so I thought I'd give it a go. Struggling a bit since I don't know a lot about soccer and the FUT is not the easiest when you don't know which club the players belong to.

I'm keeping a blog of my efforts
    http://mandomizer.com/?p=28

I managed to get promoted :D But now I seem to get my ass kicked because nearly every other team im playing against runs faster, kicks better and generally sucks less..

My last Fifa was on the SNES and everything was so much easier, short pass long pass run and shoot :)

ITS CALLED "FOOTBALL"

Dont stress :D just keep playing , practice and you'll get better
    fifa 14 on the xbox one is alot better then on the 360 in my opinion, game just seems so fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

First of all fair play to you for getting stuck in (theres a football term you can use as you wish). But you are totally jumping in at the deep end regarding ultimate team, as it is a very complex game mode. The idea is to build a team with 100 chemistry, they don't really tell you how big a deal chemistry is, but it is absolutely huge. If you don't have all players on max chemistry by linking by league or nationality, and you play someone who does, it's nearly impossible to win. Don't open packs, just play the CPU to earn coins and look for cheap gold players on the market. My recommendation would be to pick a league and build a team from that league.

Regarding your blog question on CAM's etc. The difference between a CAM and a CM is that a CAM will normally operate behind the strikers, building attacks through the middle and getting in the box. A CM has much more defensive responsibility and his main role is linking the defence to the attack.

For getting used to the game and the way people play it, I recommend Seasons mode, which is essentially online ranked matches, where you use the teams already in the game. If you are enjoying Ultimate Team then stick with it, and we have an Ultimate Team thread here where lads will offer suggestions if you are buying players or need to find a good formation.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Thanks for the input. I like the game which surprised me ...

I was just hoping for a more newbie mode. Or being able to choose a team and play a league/world cup.

I remember this from the SNES version ages ago. I'll keep at it, maybe just single player. I got my ass whooped online haha I could have not been playing and it probably would have done a better job!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    For getting used to the game and the way people play it, I recommend Seasons mode, which is essentially online ranked matches, where you use the teams already in the game.
    Best of luck.

This sounds like a good idea.. I'll try this option out don't think I saw it...

Cheers.

And if you just want to play a league against the CPU then Career mode > Manager career is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Jez... I've been playing football games year on year since Italia 90 on the Megadrive.
    From the early FIFA's on Megadrive through all the various versions that tried their hands(ISS, This is Football, PES, Club Football) through the PS1/PS2 era onto FIFA 08-14.
    I reckon I've played 90% of every football game made(missed the odd FIFA when PES ruled).

I couldn't imagine my life without all the hours I wasted playing football games. Must have a few 100k games played. Maybe even a million :pac:

Jez... I've been playing football games year on year since Italia 90 on the Megadrive.
    From the early FIFA's on Megadrive through all the various versions that tried their hands(ISS, This is Football, PES, Club Football) through the PS1/PS2 era onto FIFA 08-14.
    I reckon I've played 90% of every football game made(missed the odd FIFA when PES ruled).

I couldn't imagine my life without all the hours I wasted playing football games. Must have a few 100k games played. Maybe even a million :pac:

I'm exactly the same.

First football game I owned was Italia 90 on the Megadrive, then ISS 64 on the N64. Some crackers in there like Actua Soccer, Ronaldo V-Football, UEFA Champions League, all the World Cup/Euro games, until Pro Evo took over, I jumped on board at PES2 and actually played both FIFA and PES from 06, even represented Ireland at a few major gaming tournaments from FIFA 06-09.

Gaming has always been a hobby of mine but football games in particular have always been a passion.

I'm exactly the same.

First football game I owned was Italia 90 on the Megadrive, then ISS 64 on the N64. Some crackers in there like Actua Soccer, Ronaldo V-Football, UEFA Champions League, all the World Cup/Euro games, until Pro Evo took over, I jumped on board at PES2 and actually played both FIFA and PES from 06, even represented Ireland at a few major gaming tournaments from FIFA 06-09.

Gaming has always been a hobby of mine but football games in particular have always been a passion.

Well I think football games have come on miles. I remember some of the top down football games. :eek:

Slightly too realistic now! Still I wish there was a button to tell the ref f*ck off when he gives a penalty against me.

One thing I have found in Fifa is that the commentary is a bit one sided they tend to always be like ref worshiping.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I'm exactly the same.

Im guessing im a bit older as my first computer was a Sinclair Spectrum 48k back in the 80's. Some great football games back in the day, but you both left out Sensible Soccer - the greatest football game ever made! My Amiga got worn out from that game alone. Kick off was my first console football game but I had them all, Italia 90, ISS, This is Football, PES, FIFA..no matter what computer or console I had there was always football games being played.
    Still I wish there was a button to tell the ref f*ck off when he gives a penalty against me.

If you have an xbox and the kinect apparently in Fifa 13 and 14 you can get reprimanded for cursing at the ref. In 14 if you are playing manager mode you get a letter from the club about your behavior and all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭IanLAD

i just dont get fifa ultimate team!! and id say ive had almost every fifa since 1998

• Advertisement

The ability to dive and go for two-footed lunges in This Is Football made it the most fun local multiplayer game, and the game of choice of me and my mates until PES took over.

Advertisement