Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitting?

Options
  • 07-01-2014 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

Whats the going rate for babysitting at the moment?
    Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

111 views and no reply! Jaysus...

I'll rephrase:
    How much do you pay your babysitter?
    Needing services of one Friday night, usually the granny does it, but cant this time. So... What does one pay? Is it a per/hour rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Usually, it's per hour. How old is the child to be minded? If they're of school-age, or at a playgroup perhaps you could ask round the Mums see who they use. Or you could even arrange for the child to have a sleepover at a trusted friend's. That's how I was hired as a babysitter back in London.

However - times have changed. You need to make very careful checks about any prospective babysitter you hire. I'm not sure about the law here, but back in London, some people are even demanding police checks before they hire anyone.

Usually, it's per hour. How old is the child to be minded? If they're of school-age, or at a playgroup perhaps you could ask round the Mums see who they use. Or you could even arrange for the child to have a sleepover at a trusted friend's. That's how I was hired as a babysitter back in London.

However - times have changed. You need to make very careful checks about any prospective babysitter you hire. I'm not sure about the law here, but back in London, some people are even demanding police checks before they hire anyone.

nice one! the babysitter is a neighour, know the familly well Very decent kid. 3 small sprogs, all under 6 for a couple of hours.
    What would be considered reasonable?

If it's an overnighter, bung them a fifty & a nice bottle of wine...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm well now I know lets say if I am babysitting from around 7 - 12 or one I get €50 - €60 if this an overnighter It would normally be €100 depending how late the next day they were..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

I've 2 kids under 5yr and pay €10 an hour + taxi fair home. Pricy enough

Does anyone here need a babysitter just incase I put it out there that I am there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

10 euro an hour for watching tv CRAZY . my daughter babysits and she charges 5 euro an hour

cordub wrote: »
    10 euro an hour for watching tv CRAZY . my daughter babysits and she charges 5 euro an hour

Then she's seriously undercharging. When I babysat in London 20+ years ago, I charged £5 ph. Plus the parents either drove me home, or paid for a taxi.

E10 isn't unreasonable IMO. Especially if the caretaker is a childcare professional. If the parents crib about the rate, then they should stay home!

Then she's seriously undercharging. When I babysat in London 20+ years ago, I charged £5 ph. Plus the parents either drove me home, or paid for a taxi.

E10 isn't unreasonable IMO. Especially if the caretaker is a childcare professional. If the parents crib about the rate, then they should stay home!

At some of the prices above, you'd have to! !
    By the time i dedeucted ESB, sky, heating, cans of pepsi, crisps, choclate, it worked out as 40 quid for 8 to 1am.
    Into the hand, not too bad i thought, she seemed delighted.

• Advertisement

LeNNoX wrote: »
    I've 2 kids under 5yr and pay €10 an hour + taxi fair home. Pricy enough

Should have mentioned the babysitter is from the creche, so yes a childcare professional + the kids know her so that's less worrying if they wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

At some of the prices above, you'd have to! !
    By the time i dedeucted ESB, sky, heating, cans of pepsi, crisps, choclate, it worked out as 40 quid for 8 to 1am.
    Into the hand, not too bad i thought, she seemed delighted.

Just curious, what do you mean deducted for ESB, SKY and Heating?

murphym7 wrote: »
    Just curious, what do you mean deducted for ESB, SKY and Heating?
    that was a joke. a crap one

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

It was a great joke!

I babysat from 2002-2013 and always got about €8 an hour, plus any petrol money for driving I did and a lift home/taxi when I was younger. It's not *just* watching tv but that totally depends on the time you're going out and the time the kids are going to bed. If you're going out at 7 and bedtime is 8.30 then it could be 2 hours of running around after toddlers followed by 5 hours staring at a wall, but a teenager deserves to be paid well for those hours spent minding the kids! It's a big responsibility and €5 an hour isn't great...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

that was a joke. a crap one

I’m embarrassed, I should have got that one. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

10 euro an hour for someone with childcare qualifications.
    Anytime ive babysat the children were younger than a yr old or older with special needs so no sitting on the sofa for the night.
    My own kids are nearly 6 & 3 & mostly sleep from 7pm but we cant afford to go out but if we did then a babysitter wouldnt have much work to do, depends on the children really

I hate babysitting kids who just sit in front of the TV now unless it is like a pizza and a movie night or something but otherwise its just boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bethanynicole

I am a 22-year old American girl who recently graduated from a University here. I have also recently studied at UCC. I am looking to spend the upcoming year living in Ireland and am wondering if anyone would have any babysitting jobs or au pair opportunities available in Cork. I have a great deal of babysitting experience as well as other work experience and would be willing to provide references. I am very reliable, friendly, outgoing, and mature.

Does anyone know of any such opportunities? If not, do you have any advice as to the best way to go about finding such a job?

Hi bethanynicole,

I'm not aware of any opportunities but would recommend checking the Cork Au-Pair Facebook pages.

+ have a look on www.aupair-world.net

Best of luck,
    Lenny

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

€100 per week and you can get yourself am au pair guys !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Meghan36

When I started out I said €5 cause I didn't wanna be scabby but now I babysit for so many families and learnt my lesson when the other families asked me so I charge around the €7 but the first family that I said €5 to ask me the most and I normally sit for 6-7 hours and even on school days and I feel like I'm being ripped off but don't know how to address it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Meghan36 wrote: »
    When I started out I said €5 cause I didn't wanna be scabby but now I babysit for so many families and learnt my lesson when the other families asked me so I charge around the €7 but the first family that I said €5 to ask me the most and I normally sit for 6-7 hours and even on school days and I feel like I'm being ripped off but don't know how to address it

you are being ripped off. To be honest with you, even at €7 you are being underpaid. Speak to the parents and let them know you need to raise your fees in line with what you are getting from other families.
    I pay €10 an hour and €12 for any hour after midnight, needless to say my babysitter is always available to work for me. (to mind two children, both over 6, so very little minding in them).

Advertisement