Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moderator unica sensor 10 users? Advice/tips

• 07-01-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Anyone with a moderator unica sensor 10 any tips on solid fuel to use. Economies etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

What are you burning at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Marycelineok

Working way through various grades of coal. Light boiler with Polish coal, then use red flame. These work out very expensive. Trying to top up with slack ? beans these throw out good heat. Only problem is can only put on when set temp reached because of smoke. ( not in smokeless area) Also appears to be more tarry than other fuel

Tried turf - too ashy and needs constant refills. Also tried logs didn't really work - by the time put last logs on clothes were full of smoke. Didn't last long.

Just wondered what other peoples experiences are and what is most economical fuel to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Sorry im no expert when it comes to fueling such boiler, when I do come across them the homeowner usuall has a ready supply of hardwood fuels locally.
    do you mind me asking your reason for installing.

We are in a house built 10 years ago with oil ch. Cost over €2,500 per year and a bag of coal for living room fire each week. Ch was only on about. 8 hours a day. House was cold and draughty.

People locally started installing Polish slack boilers and said they only cost € 30 per week to run. We researched them and visited people who has installed them. We decided to go for one with several safety devices and minimum temp return pipe rather than basic boiler.

We do not have a supply of hardwood locally and our trial of local logs was not a great success

Ran it yesterday on coal topped with red flame and finally black boiler beans. One filling lasted nine hours and it does not seem too tarry this morning. I estimate this will cost us about €240 per month in winter. There is little saving but we have constant heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fox 1

What size is your house how long did you run they boiler for. And what make off boiler did you go for.and what size of boiler did you go for .sorry for silly question but I am going to put one in and people tell me it is good to talk thanks again fox

• Advertisement

We have 4 bedrooms, living room and conservatory. We have 22 radiators. The boiler was installed a year ago. The temperature within the house is controlled by radiator thermostats. The house is very warm. At the start it was too hot but we now have it very comfortable. The boiler uses about 24 to 30 kgs of fuel per day. We use a mix of coal, redflame(smokeless) and back boiler beans. Cost range from 22 to 40 cents per kg. Unfortunately we can't burn the cheapest all the time because of the amount of smoke generated by the beans particulary in wet heavy weather. We have found putting asmall amount of beans on at a time is best. We burn it 24 hours per day. It will keep going for up to 5 days but then needs ashes removing. Daily riddling only removes a small amout of ashes.

The boiler is quite messy and requires cleaning about every 7 to 10 days. Couldn't do without it now but don't like mess. The model is Moderator Unica Sensor. I think it is 25kw model. Happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CHAHH

Hi Mary,

Hows the moderator going for you, i'm thinking of installing the same boiler and using mainly turf. i live in the sticks so smoke isn't an issue.

Regards,

Chaah

Advertisement