Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New iCloud/Apple ID?

• 07-01-2014 10:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I hope to pick up an iPad over the next week but need some help figuring something out!

When I originally got my iPhone 2.5 years ago my Macbook was not up to date enough to actually sync with it so I went via my dad's laptop, and his Apple ID. Now, on the account are two iPhones (mine and my mam's). I want to switch to my own account now as I have the latest software, and want iPhone and iPad together.

Can I move just my device to my own Apple ID without making a balls of it?! I know I can change the email address of the account, but I need a whole new account. My dad still uses his. I briefly spoke to someone in CompuB and they said it couldn't be done without going through a reset of my phone.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭brianhickey

Twee. wrote: »
    Hi, I hope to pick up an iPad over the next week but need some help figuring something out!

When I originally got my iPhone 2.5 years ago my Macbook was not up to date enough to actually sync with it so I went via my dad's laptop, and his Apple ID. Now, on the account are two iPhones (mine and my mam's). I want to switch to my own account now as I have the latest software, and want iPhone and iPad together.

Can I move just my device to my own Apple ID without making a balls of it?! I know I can change the email address of the account, but I need a whole new account. My dad still uses his. I briefly spoke to someone in CompuB and they said it couldn't be done without going through a reset of my phone.

Any ideas?

You can move to a new account fairly easily. The main issue I can think of is paid content, are there many apps that you need that you don't want to pay for again? You can have apps from two different accounts on the same machine, but updates are tedious, you have to sign in to the other account to update. No need to reset as far as I know, just sign out in Settings>iTunes and App Store, then tap create new account. If you follow that through it should eventually give you the opportunity to sync to iCloud, then all of your current contacts etc will be synced to the new account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

My wife & I both use my AppleID for apps, movies and music from the iTunes store, but she uses a separate AppleID for her email, contacts and notes, etc and everything works fine for all devices.
    I'd suggest that you use your AppleID for your iCloud email, contacts, notes etc, but stick with your dad's ID for the iTunes store, to keep updates simple, as brianhickey says, and to avoid having to buy some apps twice for devices in the same household.

Advertisement