Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion Fertility and progesterone/cysts?

Options
  • 07-01-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have PCOS and was told that due to a short luteal phase and low levels of the hormone progesterone that natural conception might be difficult. However I did become pregnant last year and was delighted.
    Sadly I lost my baby and can't help thinking it was the PCOS that caused it. My doctor gave me a letter for Merrion Fertility clinic but I'm wondering will be make me repeat all the tests I already had? My friend advised me that they would also want to test my husband. This is very off-putting as I already know the problem is me. He has children already. I have had my hormone levels and PCOS confirmed so will they take my history into account and just treat me? Or will they insist on doing everything from scratch?

I worry that I may need treatment to facilitate a healthy pregnancy but I know already that my husband would be too embarrassed to go for tests. He thinks it will happen naturally ''eventually'' as his other children happened easily.

I feel so frustrated and hopeless. I wish my baby was never lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I have PCOS and was told that due to a short luteal phase and low levels of the hormone progesterone that natural conception might be difficult. However I did become pregnant last year and was delighted.
    Sadly I lost my baby and can't help thinking it was the PCOS that caused it. My doctor gave me a letter for Merrion Fertility clinic but I'm wondering will be make me repeat all the tests I already had? My friend advised me that they would also want to test my husband. This is very off-putting as I already know the problem is me. He has children already. I have had my hormone levels and PCOS confirmed so will they take my history into account and just treat me? Or will they insist on doing everything from scratch?

I worry that I may need treatment to facilitate a healthy pregnancy but I know already that my husband would be too embarrassed to go for tests. He thinks it will happen naturally ''eventually'' as his other children happened easily.

I feel so frustrated and hopeless. I wish my baby was never lost.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, it's devastating, I know. Merrion may not want to repeat all tests (I know someone who went for a consultation recently and brought her file from another fertility clinic) but in my experience they will want to repeat some. They may also want you to go for a transvaginal ultrasound and some basic blood tests before your appointment, to confirm the PCOS diagnosis and confirm there is nothing else going on. I suspect they will want your husband to do a semen analysis, as they do need to know if there are any issues on that side. It is only one test - small in the scheme of what we have to go through! Having children in the past does not mean an issue hasn't arisen in the meantime. He will also need to be with you at your consultations and some appointments as he will need to sign consent before you start certain treatments, so he needs to be involved in this process, you can't do this on your own, nor should you be expected to. The clinic will be clear on when he needs to attend. You will really need his support emotionally too so try to get him on board.

I wish you the very best of luck, try to look on this positively, you are going to see experts in the area and people who have experience in dealing with cases like yours every day, so hopefully you will be successful soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I've been attending the merrion clinic also.
    When they make the appointment for you they'll usually send you a document with a list of all the tests you need done.You then get these done before you have your first consultation so that the doctor has all of the information in advance. If you've had some of the tests on the list done already, then get copies of the test results from your GP and send them in to the clinic. When i had my first appointment i'd had my progesterone tested by the GP about 2 months beforehand so they didn't make me re-do that.

How long ago did you have your tests done? If it was a while ago, they'll probably want them repeated as things change over time. They will also likely want additional tests that you may not have had done, e.g. AMH. Have you already had an ultrasound to confirm the PCOS? If you have then get copies of the results, if not then as contrary_mary says they'll want to do one. They will need to test your husband as just because he has children doesn't mean everything is fine now, again things change over time and there is no point in treating you if there is also a problem with your husband. If your husband has an issue with the test he can produce the sample at home as long as you can bring it in to the clinic within an hour or so.

Advertisement