Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Hotel

Options
  • 07-01-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭

Travelling to New York with my partner soon and just looking for a bit of advice on a suitable hotel to stay in. Looking to stay near to Times Square. Don't expect to spend much time in the hotel itself except at night. Price wise would be hoping to pay below 1500 - 1600 euro for 6 nights. Have googled alot of various hotels and read reviews, lots of choices so it's proving difficult to pick one so as I say any solid advice is very welcome. :) And if this needs to be moved to some other thread can someone please do so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Consider the Hyatt Grand Central or Fitzpatricks at Grand Central station. It's a short walk to Times Square from either or you can take the T train from the station, it takes under 5 minutes and is purely a shuttle from the station to Times Square. Personally I think it's a better location, not a tourist trap, close to Lexington Avenue and being so close to the subway really opens up the city to you. You should get either under budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

^ excellent advice.

Last time I was in NY with family, we stayed in the Hyatt. Makes it very easy to get around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99

New York hotels can be extremely expensive compared to other cities. A quick check on the Hyatt shows its somewhere north of £200 for random nights in March, which actually isn't bad.

However if you are looking something cheaper, that doesn't need to be a hotel per se, I'd strongly advise checking out the radio city apartments. Between 6th and 7th avenue on west 49th. Comes in around £120 a night for the same dates. I've stayed here, and it was fine for my requirements. They regularly sell out, so you might be out of luck.

You can check it out on tripadvisor, type in radio city apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to go with the Fitzpatrick Grand Central. I see on their website that a credit card is needed at check-in to the hotel. I only have a Visa debit card, do you think that is a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

would imagine Visa debit would be grand-
    How did you get on in the end?
    Looking at headin there myself this year maybe april and prices seem crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

munster87 wrote: »
    Travelling to New York with my partner soon and just looking for a bit of advice on a suitable hotel to stay in. Looking to stay near to Times Square. Don't expect to spend much time in the hotel itself except at night. Price wise would be hoping to pay below 1500 - 1600 euro for 6 nights. Have googled alot of various hotels and read reviews, lots of choices so it's proving difficult to pick one so as I say any solid advice is very welcome. :) And if this needs to be moved to some other thread can someone please do so?

We're going to NYC on Feb 20th for 5 nights. We booked the Da Vinci Hotel, it's a 3 star hotel. It's 244 west 56th street so it a few blocks south of Central Park, at the top end of Midtown you might say.

We got it for €390 for the 5 nights on booking.com. Local taxes to be paid in NY. It's kinda a no frill kinda place but we just need somewhere to sleep. We plan to do all over our eating (including breakfast) & drinking elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We got it for €390 for the 5 nights on booking.com. Local taxes to be paid in NY.

Do you know how much those 'local taxes' will amount to?

Not asking others, just if the poster above has done the research properly.
    $3.50 per night, plus 14.375% of room rental charges

coylemj wrote: »
    Do you know how much those 'local taxes' will amount to?

Not asking others, just if the poster above has done the research properly.
    $3.50 per night, plus 14.375% of room rental charges
    YES! It clearly states on the website what the local charges are and that they are payable as an extra, over & above booking.com's prices. FYI its €11.2125 per night - at current rates $3.50 amounts to €2.86. Still at €92 per night it's good value IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

munster87 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I think I am going to go with the Fitzpatrick Grand Central. I see on their website that a credit card is needed at check-in to the hotel. I only have a Visa debit card, do you think that is a problem?

Worth finding out if they pre-authorise the card because if so, and you use a debit card, it will tie up available funds from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

YES! It clearly states on the website what the local charges are and that they are payable as an extra, over & above booking.com's prices. FYI its €11.2125 per night - at current rates $3.50 amounts to €2.86. Still at €92 per night it's good value IMO

Pity you didn't choose to be equally clear about the taxes in your first post. It would help others doing research on NYC hotels if you quote the inclusive price, especially when you knew it all along.

So €390 for your five nights is actually €460!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Just booked the herald square hotel for st patricks week (Sun-Sun) for 867e all taxes paid.
    Great reviews, and just off broadway.

coylemj wrote: »
    Pity you didn't choose to be equally clear about the taxes in your first post. It would help others doing research on NYC hotels if you quote the inclusive price, especially when you knew it all along.

So €390 for your five nights is actually €460!

Humblest of humble apologies coylemj. How could I be so stupi...... I'm off for a session of self flagellation now as punishment......That'll teach me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

No contest - Sofitel

Email them in advance, tell them it's a special occasion, you will get an upgrade

Location is unbeatable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I stayed 6 nights in Intercontinental Times Square. Paid 1100 on hotwire.com. Couldnt recommend the hotel highly enough, top class. 4 and half star hotel. Check the reviews on tripadvisor. It's only 1 block from Times Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

https://www.airbnb.ie/

I've used it and saved so much money on a great location! Especially as all i wanted was a bed. You pay the site and they pay the "seller" as long as you don't have any complaints. So it helps you not get scammed(but still don't be ignorant to scammers! )

I got a great apartment in Chelsea for 650 for 7 nights. Bargain!

Advertisement