Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

got my permit today

• 07-01-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if someone can help me, ive done my theory test, passed and went to the NDLS center about 2 months ago, I got my licence earlier today.

The thing is, it says its a permit for a category AM, ive already booked my IDT lessons for the category A full licence

But with just an AM permit I wont be aloud to do my IDT on a 600cc?
    I asked the guys in the NDLS centre if the form was filled in properly for the category A and they said it was all okay.

Im obviously new to the biker scene, I have my full irish car licence since '08 but everything has changed since then with categories and lessons etc.

Can someone explain to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Your permit will have to read A in order to do the ibt for the unrestricted min 595 cc, 50 kw, 180 kg +-5kg.
    If you only got the AM, that will only cover a moped max 50cc and top speed of 45kph

Get back to the ndls and get them to correct the error, and get the correct category on your permit BEFORE you do the ibt.

if you do ibt with an AM L/Permit, you will be issued with an AM cert. If you are issued with a higher a1,a2,or A, the rsa will make it null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Just wondering if you put a cross in the Cat A box on the form yourself?

I did as that is the permit i want, but when I was at the window the girl put an x in all the other bike category boxes too and said "Cat A covers all these anyway as its the highest, so I will include them...". I didnt think twice about it at the time.

Hoping I dont get sent a permit for anything other than Cat A now after reading OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

beefjerky wrote: »

I did as that is the permit i want, but when I was at the window the girl put an x in all the other bike category boxes too and said "Cat A covers all these anyway as its the highest, so I will include them...". I didnt think twice about it at the time.

Hoping I dont get sent a permit for anything other than Cat A now after reading OP!!

You have to keep an eye on them.
    When I was applying for my unrestricted A, the girl behind the counter tipexed out A and put in A2!.
    I asked what she was doing she said I already had A and needed A2.
    Had to make her change it back, some of them don't have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭yr one

chrismon wrote: »
    You have to keep an eye on them.
    When I was applying for my unrestricted A, the girl behind the counter tipexed out A and put in A2!.
    I asked what she was doing she said I already had A and needed A2.
    Had to make her change it back, some of them don't have a clue.

I think thats what may have happened with mine, im a girl and they assumed I would only drive a moped.. when i asked the lads at the help desk they said no love moped is this one..
    Im going to go back up asap and ask them to put the category A onto it, its a pain in the butt though cause ive waited 2 months for this licence!!! :(

I won't be going far on a gsxr with a moped licence :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davefitz27

Girl did the same thing on mine and I thought nothing of it, hopefully its ok. She also said would only take 3/4 weeks to receive which doesn't seem likely if some people are waiting 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

davefitz27 wrote: »
    Girl did the same thing on mine and I thought nothing of it, hopefully its ok. She also said would only take 3/4 weeks to receive which doesn't seem likely if some people are waiting 2 months.

Yeah its a bit worrying alright she told me 3-5 weeks, so to be "safe" i booked my IBT in advance but made sure i gave myself 8 weeks just in case.

Hopefully I dont have to cancel and rebook for either it being ages arriving or it being in the wrong category... or both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

yr one wrote: »
    I think thats what may have happened with mine, im a girl and they assumed I would only drive a moped.. when i asked the lads at the help desk they said no love moped is this one..
    Im going to go back up asap and ask them to put the category A onto it, its a pain in the butt though cause ive waited 2 months for this licence!!! :(

I hope you get it sorted out quick enoough Yr one. And fair play for getting into bikes! We need more fresh blood!

What type of gsxr?
    How much is your insurance costing you of you don't mind me asking?
    Insurance company wouldn't touch me on a gsxr when I stated.

What type of gsxr?
    How much is your insurance costing you of you don't mind me asking?
    Insurance company wouldn't touch me on a gsxr when I stated.

Ive not gotten quotes :/
    I know i should have, but the bikes not mine yet, ive got my eye on one, it comes restricted so im hoping if I drive it restriced for a year maybe 2, then I can get insurance on it better unrestricted, ive been to some bike shops and I dont know why, but they seem to think I should have a cruiser.. ive nothing against them, I just know what I want, I like good looking bikes and cars, the gsxr has great styling and I found it more comfortable than the cbr to sit on.

I started my first day today on the bike, started on a 125 suzuki (to prove ive a bit of sence) not sure the name, then bumped up to a 600 honda hornet, loving it, im a total newbee to bikes but since I took a spin on one (2 hour intro thingy on a private track) im hooked :)

Yeah its a bit worrying alright she told me 3-5 weeks, so to be "safe" i booked my IBT in advance but made sure i gave myself 8 weeks just in case.

Hopefully I dont have to cancel and rebook for either it being ages arriving or it being in the wrong category... or both!

I think you can use the slip/reciept they give you as proof?

I started my IBT today, Ive not yet gotten my licence back, I rang the NDLS and they said I would have to repeat the process :(
    So rather than loosing my 500euro that ive pre paid, my instructor is letting me do it, the unusual thing is the man I was speaking to from the NDLS said I could do the IBT once the instructor was okay with it, its not like the full licence with the engine output specific category, a pernit for a bike is a permit.. just depends on what one you want to go for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

I know i should have, but the bikes not mine yet, ive got my eye on one, it comes restricted so im hoping if I drive it restriced for a year maybe 2, then I can get insurance on it better unrestricted, ive been to some bike shops and I dont know why, but they seem to think I should have a cruiser.. ive nothing against them, I just know what I want, I like good looking bikes and cars, the gsxr has great styling and I found it more comfortable than the cbr to sit on.

I started my first day today on the bike, started on a 125 suzuki (to prove ive a bit of sence) not sure the name, then bumped up to a 600 honda hornet, loving it, im a total newbee to bikes but since I took a spin on one (2 hour intro thingy on a private track) im hooked :)

Oh cool, a Hornet! May I ask where you're doing your IBT, please?

Get a quote before you buy anything!
    I got a quote for a 99 bandit for 500, bought a 00 model and it was an extra 150 because of the slight different model.
    Be very careful.
    Great to hear of more people getting into bikes.
    Enjoy it.

Get a quote before you buy anything!
    I got a quote for a 99 bandit for 500, bought a 00 model and it was an extra 150 because of the slight different model.
    Be very careful.
    Great to hear of more people getting into bikes.
    Enjoy it.

Will do, I finished the IBT today so I cant wait :) as far as I know its 6 months until I can do the full test, so time to get looking at bikes :)

Will do, I finished the IBT today so I cant wait :) as far as I know its 6 months until I can do the full test, so time to get looking at bikes :)

Are you over 24?
    Have a look at 600 bandits,fazers and hornets.
    Best job for someone starting out insurance wise :)
    Im driving just less than 2 years and looking at my first gsxr now :D

Are you over 24?
    Have a look at 600 bandits,fazers and hornets.
    Best job for someone starting out insurance wise :)
    Im driving just less than 2 years and looking at my first gsxr now :D

Yes im 26, id have to have the bandit lowered, im 5'6'' so I like to be able to put my feet flat onto the ground :)

Yes im 26, id have to have the bandit lowered, im 5'6'' so I like to be able to put my feet flat onto the ground :)

I have friends smaller than you driving bikes, you will be sound :)
    Enjoy the rest of your ibt, great crack.

Advertisement