Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Middle Distance Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

dna_leri wrote: »
    I agree with the theory that positive splits are best for an 800m PB. My PB was very slightly positive - I think 61/61.5. I would suggest for most of us that aiming for even splits is best, how well we do will then depend on how strong we can finish i.e. how much (or little) we slow down in the second half. For me that is the same in the 1500/mile, I have not enough experience in 3000m to say. In both 800 and 1500/mile the 3rd quarter of the race is critical mentally as well as physically in maintaining pace and concentration.

When trying to win or place in a race, tactics play an important role and are secondary to times. I think as a competitor you need to be able to handle the range of tactics but ultimately you will play to your strengths. So if you are a strength based endurance runner you may lead from the front or kick from 400m. If you are a speed based runner then you may trust your final kick to get you home. Anyone planning to race should "train your kick". Steve Magness explains this well http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2011/10/training-to-kick.html

Going into a championship type race (like this weekend) I will have plan A,B,C&D which ranges from "run from the front" to "kick in the last 50/100m". Depending on who shows up or how they decide to race, I will change my plan.

BTW the quote about only having two moves in an 800m race (one offensive and one defensive) originates from Peter Coe and if you watch some of those great Coe/Ovett duels is broadly true.
    Really useful, thanks! I had a quick skim of the article and will digest it later, there's a lot of info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

I once read that the majority of best 800m races ever run were done by running each 200m 3% slower than the one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

From my own experience

800m

Have only ran one but the first half lap felt so easy (65s). Really felt more like a 70s lap and busted a gut on the 2nd lap but still only ran 2.10. I think it would be very hard to negative split here but personally I think I'd have to go for as even pace as possible.

1500/Mile

Haven't ran a 1500 yet but have ran a couple of miles. I would say I've negative splitted them all and like to pick it up on the second last lap and really go for it from far out due to lack of a kick. 2nd lap I think is the most crucial here because you don't want to be pushing too hard but you don't want to leak time either. Took me a few races to judge this right.

In a similar manner to the mile, I like to pick it up from half way or 4 laps to go and then steadily increase the effort each lap. Again its easy to lose valuable seconds on the the second and third laps. You're not fresh like the first lap and its too far out to think about getting in to real discomfort. If you can have someone call out your lap splits to keep you honest then this is a great help. You normally get this at the graded meets.

Interesting sample from 3k time trial we used to do every month down the club (in the glory days, when we used have a track :rolleyes:) Maybe a bit of an extreme example but don't think I could have ran a much faster time on the day.

3k_zpsowfqrjbi.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mile and 15 you defo want fairly even splits to run to your potential, with the 1st lap about 2 or 3 seconds quicker than the rest. Sticking to the target split 3rd lap the real test, last lap adrenaline will take you over the line unless you totally overcooked it ha. 800 a tricker beast to get right, the 3% per 200 grand if you are coming from an anaerobic base, the quicker initial 200s won't take as much out of you, but I'm more of a 15/3k runner and definitely find more even splits to be more effective .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks everyone, really useful info there, you can't beat experience. The next step now is to see where I'm at and how to apply this info. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Sacksian wrote: »

Ooooh, a 1500 to kick things off. Was secretly hoping for a 3k like last year when I still have a bit of endurance from the XC but I won't complain. :D

Look forward to seeing you out there Sacksian. What grade for the 1500 are you thinking? Looks to be a bit of overlap between the A and the B in previous results for in and around the times we'd be anticipating. To be honest, I'm still not sure what that is for me :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Seems like my multiple suggestions of putting the 100/400/1500 on one programme, and 200/800/3000 on the other were graciously ignored. Won't bother giving feedback in future as it seems to be a waste of time.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Seems like my multiple suggestions of putting the 100/400/1500 on one programme, and 200/800/3000 on the other were graciously ignored. Won't bother giving feedback in future as it seems to be a waste of time.

I can't see why they wouldn't go for this :confused:. Seems the only sensible option. The last thing you want is two events next to each other in distance taking place on the same night.

I can't see why they wouldn't go for this :confused:. Seems the only sensible option. The last thing you want is two events next to each other in distance taking place on the same night.

Exactly. It's how the interclub season was structured in Melbourne and it's so damn simple it's ridiculous. It's seems like suggestions fall on deaf ears when it comes to athletics here. Frustrating.

• Advertisement

Ooooh, a 1500 to kick things off. Was secretly hoping for a 3k like last year when I still have a bit of endurance from the XC but I won't complain. :D

Look forward to seeing you out there Sacksian. What grade for the 1500 are you thinking? Looks to be a bit of overlap between the A and the B in previous results for in and around the times we'd be anticipating. To be honest, I'm still not sure what that is for me :o.

To be honest, KU, I’m just going for whatever grade you’re not in - I’m thinking a sit-and-kick in grade D might be the confidence booster I need?! But I wouldn’t be surprised to see two full ‘A’ races.

Road relays are the weekend before, so I’ll see what sort of condition my condition is in. Hamstring willing, I may even do the 200m!

I think the Bs were won in around 4:20 last year, is that right?

I've run 4 1500s, I think, 3 Championship (all after an 800 a few hours earlier) and one National League so I'd like to experience a faster race where I could be dragged around to a quicker time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nice to have a 1500m at the first meet, means you can see exactly where you are and what you need to do to get to where you want to be! :)

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nice to have a 1500m at the first meet, means you can see exactly where you are and what you need to do to get to where you want to be! :)

...if you are a 1500m runner that is :)

pconn062 wrote: »

Yeah, I think a 1500 will be good as an indicator of what shape you're in (a 3k might be even better but personally I probably would have chickened out and gone for an 8 if that option had been there!).

Still 5 or weeks to go but it's pretty non-stop once it starts...

I think the Bs were won in around 4:20 last year, is that right?

I've run 4 1500s, I think, 3 Championship (all after an 800 a few hours earlier) and one National League so I'd like to experience a faster race where I could be dragged around to a quicker time.

Looks like the B's are generally won in 4.10 to 4.20 and the last 4-5 in the 'A' race would be in the 4.10 to 4.20 bracket too. Think I'll go for the 'B' race anyway. Going out too fast would kill me at this stage of the year. Must chat to the coach about getting some proper middle distance work done. Need some sharpening up, big time :D

Looks like the B's are generally won in 4.10 to 4.20 and the last 4-5 in the 'A' race would be in the 4.10 to 4.20 bracket too. Think I'll go for the 'B' race anyway. Going out too fast would kill me at this stage of the year. Must chat to the coach about getting some proper middle distance work done. Need some sharpening up, big time :D

Well, you have 5 weeks so see how your training goes - and the road relays - but you're probably selling yourself a bit short. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you under 4:15 first time out and even much faster wouldn't surprise me. No pressure!

Your xc races and training shows that, aerobically, you're in great shape. That's the hard part! But you'll know more yourself once you've done a couple of 1500 sessions - and you'd expect them to be faster than your equivalent training last year so you have the speed, you just need to put some race pace work in; that and the races themselves will sharpen you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Same day as my local County 5k road race, which is a mad quick course and loadsa local rivalry etc Ughhhhh. But track wins every time ha. Don't thin I've ever done an A 15 before but probably time to step up the grade.

Don't know how but I missed the programme for the 2nd graded earlier, which is here

100 / 800 / 3000m.

I'll probably miss this one but, presumably, some a/r head-to-heads in this one too!

They seem to be sticking them up bit by bit. Number three is there now.

400/Mile/5000

• Advertisement

By constantly refreshing the Dublin Athletics site in the hope the other programmes will appear, you get a reminder of what it feels like waiting for Graded results to be published.

All part of the preparation.

Graded Meeting Number 4.

Loving the suspense of the one by one unveiling of meets. What will be in store for meet 5? 200m and 400m on the same day? I wouldn't bet against it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Loving the suspense of the one by one unveiling of meets. What will be in store for meet 5? 200m and 400m on the same day? I wouldn't bet against it!!

I don't think it's a coincidence that all the meets announced so far have had one sprint, one middle distance, and one distance race.

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think it's a coincidence that all the meets announced so far have had one sprint, one middle distance, and one distance race.

Are the Dublin Champs being run over 2 or 3 meets this year? If two meets then 200 and 400 will be on same meet as 100 and 800 is on the other. But maybe it's over 3 days this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

What's the story behind the Dublin Endurance Project

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

eldiva wrote: »
    What's the story behind the Dublin Endurance Project

Athletics Ireland providing some funding to the Graded Meets to provide more track races for distance runners, part of a general drive to improve standards in distance running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hope to get to one of these events during the summer, i be grade d and at the back but hopefully it be an experience

And here's the final line-up:

Meeting 1 - 22nd April - is 10,000 / 200 / 1500
    Meeting 2 - 6th May - is 100/800/3000
    Meeting 3 - 20th May - is 400/mile/5000
    Meeting 4 - 3rd June - is 100/800/3000 - Championship
    Meeting 5 - 17th June - is 200/1500/5000 - Championship
    Meeting 6 - 1st July - is 2000m steeplechase / 400 Championship / 3000
    Meeting 7 - 15th July - is 100/400/1500
    Meeting 8 - 29th July - is 200/800 & DMR (4/8/12/16) Mixed team - format TBC

Think that's right.

And here's the final line-up:

Meeting 1 - 22nd April - is 10,000 / 200 / 1500
    Meeting 2 - 6th May - is 100/800/3000
    Meeting 3 - 20th May - is 400/mile/5000
    Meeting 4 - 3rd June - is 100/800/3000 - Championship
    Meeting 5 - 17th June - is 200/1500/5000 - Championship
    Meeting 6 - 1st July - is 2000m steeplechase / 400 Championship / 3000
    Meeting 7 - 15th July - is 100/400/1500
    Meeting 8 - 29th July - is 200/800 & DMR (4/8/12/16) Mixed team - format TBC

Think that's right.

3 rounds of championship is a good shout. To be honest the programme is a huge improvement on last year. No crazy event clashes that I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

3 rounds of championship is a good shout. To be honest the programme is a huge improvement on last year. No crazy event clashes that I can see.

What would the lowest standard for men be like over 1,500 - 5,000 ?

Advertisement