Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Middle Distance Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

oldrunner wrote: »
    800m tonight in Drogheda & District A.C. graded meet tonight - see their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/drogheda.districtac?fref=ts

Not sure if they have another one.

Next 800 in Dublin Graded meet is not until July 29th

Thanks oldrunner. I think it's going to have to be a time trial. I'm sure someone from my club will be roped in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

oldrunner wrote: »
    800m tonight in Drogheda & District A.C. graded meet tonight - see their Facebook page.

Not sure if they have another one.

Next 800 in Dublin Graded meet is not until July 29th

Another 800m in Drogheda in 4 weeks' time (Thursday, 9th July).

Oiriallach wrote: »
    Another 800m in Drogheda in 4 weeks' time (Thursday, 9th July).

Thanks for that! I'll pencil it in for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Silly question maybe but what length spike is most appropriate for a 1500m race on a dry day?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Silly question maybe but what length spike is most appropriate for a 1500m race on a dry day?

What type of spike shape are you using?
    Depending on the track I think 7mm is the longest you can wear, I rarely see them in shops though.
    I just leave my 5mm needle spikes in for all conditions and never had an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Depending on the track I think 7mm is the longest you can wear, I rarely see them in shops though.

5mm is the most acceptable. i wouldn't risk a 7mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Yea, I just use the 6mm spikes. Didn't know you can get them in 5 and 7. All I've ever seen are multiples of three. Saw a couple of the younger lads using what looked like 9mm spikes and thought I might be missing a trick :)

I have a couple of different spike shapes but currently using the traditional metal cone shape.

To be honest, I don't think it would make much if a difference but just wanted to see what the consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ugh the annoying wait for results after graded ha, hitting the refresh button every few minutes! Fairly sure it wasn't a pb but clinging onto that 1% chance ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ugh the annoying wait for results after graded ha, hitting the refresh button every few minutes! Fairly sure it wasn't a pb but clinging onto that 1% chance ha!

I would never walk out of the venue without finding out my result. I usually just go up to where the results are being compiled. Never have they not told me. You guys have to stop torturing yourselves like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I would never walk out of the venue without finding out my result. I usually just go up to where the results are being compiled. Never have they not told me. You guys have to stop torturing yourselves like this.
    I went back to the office and checked my time. Now I'm hitting [F5] every few minutes to see if they rounded it up in the official results, thereby negating my PB. A really nice, helpful bunch of people, the graded meets organizers.

• Advertisement

I usually do, but got distracted with a long cool down last night. Do they have results and names printed out immediately or is there much data entry on the evening itself? If all the names are in It would take very little effort to do as the IMC do and grab a photo and upload to their fb for a live feed. If they do have loads of names to enter, the simple solution is to remove on the night entries, online open until 2pm that day which is plenty time for an athlete to decide if they are running or not.

I usually do, but got distracted with a long cool down last night. Do they have results and names printed out immediately or is there much data entry on the evening itself? If all the names are in It would take very little effort to do as the IMC do and grab a photo and upload to their fb for a live feed. If they do have loads of names to enter, the simple solution is to remove on the night entries, online open until 2pm that day which is plenty time for an athlete to decide if they are running or not.

Yeh they have to do a fair bit of data entry I think which is why a time of 56.30 for example always shows up as 56.3, or 12.00 shows up as 12. They don't seem to bother making sure each entry in the spreadsheet is to hundredth of a second if there's a 0 involved. No big deal, it just looks a bit shoddy in the results.

When I see the results on the night, it is usually in handwritten form. They seem to then enter them into an excel spreadsheet after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Just a reminder that Drogheda's graded meet is this Thursday, it's for 100m, 400m & mile. Might be of interest to someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Just a reminder that Drogheda's last graded meet is this Thursday, it's for 100m, 400m & mile. Might be of interest to someone!

I thought there was another Drogheda meet scheduled for Thursday, 9th July, with a 200m, 800m & 5000m. Has that one been cancelled?

Sorry it's a bit early, not sure why I said last! I'm not sure how many more there are, i'll check

Edit: Yes July 9th for the last one, thanks :)

Bit late reporting this but ran my first graded meet last Wednesday in maybe 24 or 25 years :eek: It was a slightly disappointing 5:12 1500m but have had some great advice from KU about focussing on the second lap and not letting the pace drop too much.
    If my Achilles behaves, I'll be running a mile at the BR invitational meet tomorrow night. I'd really appreciate some advice about how to approach this tactically. I have no idea what the women's standard will be but I hope to run about 5:30-5:40. Thanks in advance.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Bit late reporting this but ran my first graded meet last Wednesday in maybe 24 or 25 years :eek: It was a slightly disappointing 5:12 1500m but have had some great advice from KU about focussing on the second lap and not letting the pace drop too much.
    If my Achilles behaves, I'll be running a mile at the BR invitational meet tomorrow night. I'd really appreciate some advice about how to approach this tactically. I have no idea what the women's standard will be but I hope to run about 5:30-5:40. Thanks in advance.

What's the BR Invitational? Where is it on?

What's the BR Invitational? Where is it on?

Oops left out a word: invitational mile meet. It's hosted by Bray Runners at the Shoreline Charlesland track.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Looking at options for races as the end of the T&F season draws closer...

Does anyone know if guests can compete at the National League final on the bank holiday weekend? I know there were plenty guesting last Sunday at Round 2, just can't remember if it's the same at the final.

happygoose wrote: »

Does anyone know if guests can compete at the National League final on the bank holiday weekend? I know there were plenty guesting last Sunday at Round 2, just can't remember if it's the same at the final.

I'm 99.99% certain there are no guest entries allowed for League Final. Worth sending off an email to AAI though just in case.

• Advertisement

Yep, doesn't seem like it is allowed
    12. Non scoring guest athletes may be accommodated in qualifying rounds at
    the discretion of the Official in charge at the venue, but will not be
    allowed in the final.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/events/LEAGUE_IN_DETAIL_2.pdf

There's some senior races on this Saturday at the YDL meet on the Mary Peters track in Belfast:

http://www.athleticsni.org/download/files/Timetable-YDLRd3.pdf

I'm heading up for a 400m. It's a huge trek without a car, but without this race I face a 3 week gap of no 400m race leading into Nationals. I have absolutely no idea what sort of standard or numbers there will be.

Yep, doesn't seem like it is allowed

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/events/LEAGUE_IN_DETAIL_2.pdf

There's some senior races on this Saturday at the YDL meet on the Mary Peters track in Belfast:

http://www.athleticsni.org/download/files/Timetable-YDLRd3.pdf

I'm heading up for a 400m. It's a huge trek without a car, but without this race I face a 3 week gap of no 400m race leading into Nationals. I have absolutely no idea what sort of standard or numbers there will be.

Cheers! Thought it may have been the case alright.

I was hoping to run the BH weekend but it looks like the options are limited enough now.

Can't you guest in Tullamore at National Masters this weekend rather than travel up north?

Cheers! Thought it may have been the case alright.

I was hoping to run the BH weekend but it looks like the options are limited enough now.

Can't you guest in Tullamore at National Masters this weekend rather than travel up north?

From what I've heard guests are not allowed at masters. I tried to get into NI masters which have smaller numbers and they wouldn't allow it, so no chance of nationals allowing it. Just looked at a recent result from a senior 400 at YDL and there were 7 guys, all between 51 and 58, so should be worth the journey.

Have you got many races in this track season? How have they gone?

Yeh not a whole lot left now. One graded, and nationals is it really. There's some event in Greystones the weekend after nationals to try encourage road runners to try track, but it has been dreadfully advertised. I'm away for it anyway.

From what I've heard guests are not allowed at masters. I tried to get into NI masters which have smaller numbers and they wouldn't allow it, so no chance of nationals allowing it. Just looked at a recent result from a senior 400 at YDL and there were 7 guys, all between 51 and 58, so should be worth the journey.

Have you got many races in this track season? How have they gone?

Yeh not a whole lot left now. One graded, and nationals is it really. There's some event in Greystones the weekend after nationals to try encourage road runners to try track, but it has been dreadfully advertised. I'm away for it anyway.

Cheers for this, that's a good standard, should be worth the trip so. The seasons practically gone :/

Got down to 2:05 at Le Cheile's IMC, having done nothing track specific, then I got injured. Got back last weekend for the NL.

At the Masters this weekend in the 800, will do a 400 in Drogheda tomorrow night as prep for it. Hope to hit 56. I'll do the graded 800 in Tallaght the following Wed night and that looks to be it, bar a run out in Nationals to better my time, but it'd be a paddy last in the heat jobby. Haven't managed to get much in this year but it's been fun. Hope to hit 2:02/2:03 by this day next week and chase the sub 2 dream next year.

Track makes for an interesting change, it's just been hard to get places to train, plus there are few enough people with the same goals so you mostly end up going it alone in training. I will persist with 400/800, it might get me out of doing XC over the winter and into the warmth of a gym :)

Yeh not a whole lot left now. One graded, and nationals is it really. There's some event in Greystones the weekend after nationals to try encourage road runners to try track, but it has been dreadfully advertised . I'm away for it anyway.

Thanks. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thanks. :p
    In fairness, I went looking for details when it was mentioned above, and couldn't find anything. Linky?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    In fairness, I went looking for details when it was mentioned above, and couldn't find anything. Linky?

https://www.facebook.com/events/904250796323673/

Happygoose I'm running the 400 tomorrow as well, pb is 61.5 from graded so aiming to beat that anyway.

has anyone ever turned up to a race and used blocks without trying them before?

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    has anyone ever turned up to a race and used blocks without trying them before?
    Yep!

Advertisement