Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Middle Distance Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

pconn062 wrote: »
    So I see a lot of you guys have started speed sessions already, I was thinking of maybe holding off until the end of the month but might start this week (I feel left out!). I have been doing mostly 5k work up until now with the odd tempo run thrown in (while struggling to get back from injury, which seems like it is finally gone). I'm also thinking of introducing a second weekly session this week, so maybe a speed session and alternating a hill/tempo session.

Are we getting itchy feet yet, first Graded Meet is in two weeks! Anyone running it?

I should be at the Graded Meets. The coach I think wants us to run the 800m but he's very fickle so is liable to a change of heart. Could be the 3k either.

What are you planning on running PConn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Stazza wrote: »
    He wants to race me in the National Masters Champs in August:D

Ya moving up to 1500 this year. You up for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

dna_leri wrote: »

I've read your log from start to finish, so I now know why you're affectionately and respectfully known as, The Sligo Silver Speedo :D If I'm still alive in August, I'm planning on giving it a go, but I'm not sure whether I'll do the 1500m or the 5000m. But just so you know in advance, if I do the 1500m, it'll be hard from the gun - none of this sit and assemble your Zimmer stuff. ;)

Stazza wrote: »
    I've read your log from start to finish, so I now know why you're affectionately and respectfully known as, The Sligo Silver Speedo :D If I'm still alive in August, I'm planning on giving it a go, but I'm not sure whether I'll do the 1500m or the 5000m. But just so you know in advance, if I do the 1500m, it'll be hard from the gun - none of this sit and assemble your Zimmer stuff. ;)

I have not worn them grey speedos in years. :-D

No matter how hard you go from the gun it will still be the last 200 that matters. Keep working on that kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sacksian wrote: »
    This series does cover a wide range of abilities, so might be worth checking beforehand that they're doing a few races (I'm sure they will do at least two) if you're going for a time.

Regardless, it's still a nice chance to run a good mile. I think there's normally good crowds from Civil Service Harriers and (possibly?) Drogheda & District there. My lungs and legs are still recovering from the mile at the relays yesterday, so I won't make it!

Thanks for that, I have heard that the standard can be a bit hit or miss. Hopefully they have a few lads in the 4:50-5:00 mile pace. Haven't decided fully yet if I'll head up.
    I should be at the Graded Meets. The coach I think wants us to run the 800m but he's very fickle so is liable to a change of heart. Could be the 3k either.

What are you planning on running PConn?

I think I will run the 800m and see how I get on. Never ran an 800m when I was fit and although I won't be really fit by then it should be a good opener for the season. I had initially thought about doing the 3k but the coach is pushing me towards the 800m. I'll be down a few grades from you either way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I won't start speed sessions (race pace or faster) before May - it's a long season and I won't do any of the early meets. However I am starting to head that direction with hill sprints and strides now. I would recommend that for someone coming back from injury too. It gets the body ready for the faster stuff. They can then transition into 150s or 200s over the next few weeks.

I am in a similar boat as you but for different reasons. With all the strength stuff I have been doing over the winter I have been spending the last weeks slowly incorporating a bit of lighter speed stuff to prep the body for fear of injury so as such have been using strides, turnover 200s and hills as a way of slowly introducing speed.

Tomorrow is my first faster than 5k track session since about mid Dec early Jan, a weird sort of excitement for a bit of faster stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I honestly don't know whether to do 800 or 3k at the graded either! I'll see what way sessions go over the next 2weeks, I'll do one 800 session along the line, and if my calves don't lockup and I can manage 60sec/lap pace for that session then I might just be ready to wing an 800, otherwise its 3k, and go out like a looney from the gun at mile pace ha!

Lads its all about the 3k, that's where all the cool kids will be:cool:

Timmaay wrote: »
    I honestly don't know whether to do 800 or 3k at the graded either! I'll see what way sessions go over the next 2weeks, I'll do one 800 session along the line, and if my calves don't lockup and I can manage 60sec/lap pace for that session then I might just be ready to wing an 800, otherwise its 3k, and go out like a looney from the gun at mile pace ha!

That's the only way you know how :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Lads its all about the 3k, that's where all the cool kids will be:cool:

Ah now, 800 is where the sh&t goes down in fairness, it sorts the boys from the men, just this one alittle early in the season for me ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Seriously? How come you’re moving up to 1500m? The 400m/800m double is so much rarer than the 800m/1500m (and you’ve got the speed for both).

Throw in a couple of 1500s for sure but, based on your description of your training from your log and the sessions you seem to enjoy most, you seem to be a natural 400m/800m guy and you could definitely do the 400m/800m double in August!

Current plan is to do the 'B' 3k at the Graded. I did 4.46 for the mile leg at the Relays on Sunday so hoping to get under 9.20 for 3k. Have only run one before so should get a PB anyway!

Current plan is to do the 'B' 3k at the Graded. I did 4.46 for the mile leg at the Relays on Sunday so hoping to get under 9.20 for 3k. Have only run one before so should get a PB anyway!

Might be joining you so. Similar target myself off shape I am in. Always do be worried about lining up in B for the first graded of the year. People tend to over estimate there current form and jump into A and can leave B a little light at the top some times and you running on your own.

Coming in to this off a soft PB and a very good season opening session so hoping to be on board the PB train myself :D

Might be joining you so. Similar target myself off shape I am in. Always do be worried about lining up in B for the first graded of the year. People tend to over estimate there current form and jump into A and can leave B a little light at the top some times and you running on your own.

Coming in to this off a soft PB and a very good season opening session so hoping to be on board the PB train myself :D

Might also be joining you on this one. Ran 9.21 last year I think, so sub 9.20 would also be the aim. If we're all running then we should get a good pace group going. I think last year the 'B' and 'C' race were amalgamated and I finished second. Winner was about 10 seconds ahead and third was another 10 seconds behind so not much to work off during the race. Back of the 'A' race could be a better option. Must look up last years results.

Seriously? How come you’re moving up to 1500m? The 400m/800m double is so much rarer than the 800m/1500m (and you’ve got the speed for both).

Throw in a couple of 1500s for sure but, based on your description of your training from your log and the sessions you seem to enjoy most, you seem to be a natural 400m/800m guy and you could definitely do the 400m/800m double in August!

To be honest I have not fully decided which events to do in August but thanks for the vote of confidence. If I was just interested in winning, I would go for 400m but I would prefer to work on improving my times this year and my 1500 certainly needs work. Any double is difficult with timing but improved endurance is essential - so that's been my focus for the past 10+ weeks anyway and should benefit my 1500m time.

You are going well with 4:46 for a long mile. What's your aim for the summer?

1st night back in spikes last night. Calves letting me know today what they think of that :(

Might also be joining you on this one. Ran 9.21 last year I think, so sub 9.20 would also be the aim. If we're all running then we should get a good pace group going. I think last year the 'B' and 'C' race were amalgamated and I finished second. Winner was about 10 seconds ahead and third was another 10 seconds behind so not much to work off during the race. Back of the 'A' race could be a better option. Must look up last years results.

If there are a few aiming for a similar target, it might make more sense to be sweepers for the 'A', rather than the vanguard in the 'B'?? I *will* draft off any pace group that is formed!

9.10 / 9.11 seemed to be the rear of the 'A' race last year.

To be honest I have not fully decided which events to do in August but thanks for the vote of confidence. If I was just interested in winning, I would go for 400m but I would prefer to work on improving my times this year and my 1500 certainly needs work. Any double is difficult with timing but improved endurance is essential - so that's been my focus for the past 10+ weeks anyway and should benefit my 1500m time.

You are going well with 4:46 for a long mile. What's your aim for the summer?

Fair enough - a 400m/800m double at the Masters would be some achievement though... my aim is to improve my 800 time by August but I'll also be concentrating on 1500 until July probably! But I wouldn't be as fast over 400 as you and I think my hamstrings would detach themselves if I tried an 800 before June.

Been injured and sick on and off since the start of this year so still don't feel like I've had a decent run at training yet but Sunday was a good run, given the conditions, course and the fact it felt a little tactical in places.

Hmmm I'd be more of an 800 man but all this talk of a low 9s 3k is well tempting me, abit of smackdown talk and I'll be definitely up for it!

Stinker of a session lastnight, 1k in 3min pace, 2mins jog, 400m at 800pace, and 3 sets of them. I wanted to drop out so bad last k, but kept it up when I wasn't too far off pace at the 800split, well happy with it, great mental preparation. Very easy recovery jog tonight.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmmm I'd be more of an 800 man but all this talk of a low 9s 3k is well tempting me, abit of smackdown talk and I'll be definitely up for it!

Stinker of a session lastnight, 1k in 3min pace, 2mins jog, 400m at 800pace, and 3 sets of them. I wanted to drop out so bad last k, but kept it up when I wasn't too far off pace at the 800split, well happy with it, great mental preparation. Very easy recovery jog tonight.

Solid session

How do you find doing them early season? Always find them sort of sessions a struggle unless I am in great shape and am coming into a peak?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, now you have me thinking about the 3k! I was initially going for the 800m to shock the body a bit but I will be in much better 3k shape by then than 800m. I won't be in either the B or A grade though! Maybe C, would love to run 9.55 but don't think I'll be in that shape by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I get back to Ireland 8 days before the first graded meet. Training has been non existent due to being cautious over an Achilles/ heal issue and due to intense backpacking which has my feet feeling the burn (thanks European cobblestones!!). Hopefully I can start training the day after I get back and ease back into it. First meet is very soon but as I love racing I reckon I may give it a go to see where I am at. 100m and an 800m. Not experienced with how the graded meets work, AAI registration, etc etc. Have only ever run one, as a guest, so should be fun, albeit daunting. I fear the break since the Australian season will have done damage to the peak fitness levels I had in late February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The website for online entry is now live at www.dublinathletics.com
    All athletes must enter on line - this is to enable the generation of start sheets from on line entries.
    Online entries close at 1pm on the day of competition.

However payment can be deferred until the night. A series payment of €50 can be made on the first night.

RayCun wrote: »

The website for online entry is now live at www.dublinathletics.com
    All athletes must enter on line - this is to enable the generation of start sheets from on line entries.
    Online entries close at 1pm on the day of competition.

However payment can be deferred until the night. A series payment of €50 can be made on the first night.

A huge step forward. Gonna miss the days of holding off putting my name down for a grade until the last min to see who is running what field though :P

A huge step forward. Gonna miss the days of holding off putting my name down for a grade until the last min to see who is running what field though :P

Was just thinking the same thing: "wait... he's running in the B grade?! Feck that I'm going in the C race!".

pconn062 wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same thing: "wait... he's running in the B grade?! Feck that I'm going in the C race!".

Remember making the opposite mistake before aswell thinking "right I am not in great shape so ill just go C, wait what is that fecker doing in B he is in worse shape than me :p"

Re: switching grades. I registered online for a couple last year but was still able to switch grades on the night.

Can't get my head around how registering for the series online works? I won't know what races I'm doing a couple of days before each meet so when do I do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I won't know what races I'm doing a couple of days before each meet so when do I do that?

my read of the mail is that online entry closes at lunchtime on the day of the meet, so you can enter the morning of the race

After reading about the various fast sessions you guys are doing, I'm starting to think now that I'd really like to do the 800 on Wednesday. Is there anything better than running as fast as you can for 2 and a bit minutes??!

Decisions...decisions...the 3000 could be a real test but would love to know how far off 800 shape I am and the 800 is probably better prep for the mile at the end of May.

Have done a few 1500/mile sessions but nothing faster yet. Might leave it until the last minute to decide but, if I do, I'm robbing that 8 x 100m pace session someone mentioned!

• Advertisement

What ever happened to this forum being dominated by long distance runners? :D

I remember back in the good old days 8x100 was something you did after your session :p

Looks like it could be pretty lonely in the 3k, still about a month from having that sort off speed in the legs.

Got the official start of track season "how you fixed for the leagues?" beckoning from the club so I better get cracking on hurdle work soon.

Advertisement