Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Middle Distance Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Might try and make it for the 3k, hope there's some depth or I might come last!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Are you still running the 800
    on Wednesday? Would you normally do what sounds like a tough session so close to a race?

Well I wouldn't considering it a seriously tough session, as I said the aim was to be as comfortable for as long as possible. I certainly wasn't pushing to the same extent that I have been in previous sessions when I can barely stand up after. And I did it in the morning, so the guts of 3days before the race Wednesday night. Wed isn't a huge focus for me either, just a season opener.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Might try and make it for the 3k, hope there's some depth or I might come last!

If your going from Wicklow let me know, no point both of us driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

My calves are only just starting to feel normal again, so should be OK for tomorrow night. Can't believe how long it took them to recover from that session last week.

So, can be be like the marathon runners and check the weather every five minutes?! I glanced at it today and according to Met Eireann we are looking alright, maybe the odd shower and seemingly light enough breezes.

pconn062 wrote: »
    My calves are only just starting to feel normal again, so should be OK for tomorrow night. Can't believe how long it took them to recover from that session last week.

Kiely I'll admit defeat, that session on Monday was probably too hard too soon, calves still tight today. I'll do the race tonight definitely but I'll have to be more cautious in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Timmaay wrote: »
    Kiely I'll admit defeat, that session on Monday was probably too hard too soon, calves still tight today. I'll do the race tonight definitely but I'll have to be more cautious in future.

I think sessions that close to a race (even not a target one) the most you can get away with is a light RP session.

Something as simple as 2x200, 2x400, 2x200 (400s @ 1500 pace) would be the max.

If your worried about missing a session for the week the Galen Rupp approach is probably the best one* (i.e after race doing tempo style work for short distances or turnover after long races) may seem a bit mad but I think its less stress on the body to have Wed super hard day and then allow till Saturday to recover for the next session compared to inadequate recovery in between session and race and then another session in the week.

I remember popping down to a meet a few years back (funny enough I think you organised it) ran terrible (sit and kick not the approach when you don't have wheels :D) and decided to follow the session up with the fartlek on the roads. I actually felt fine on the session and I think the body copes better extending the hard effort from the race (though talking like 20-30 min rec) with the overloading than it would with underrecovering.

*Not talking definitive answer here more a case of running through my thought process on the matter

Finally bit the bullet. Went with B, for me its first race in a long season with plenty of 3ks to do (although I may have to contend with a few obstacles in some of them :D)

Also signifies the start of track season proper for me (i.e start of speed work) as moving into competition phase of training come next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ecoli wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet. Went with B, for me its first race in a long season with plenty of 3ks to do (although I may have to contend with a few obstacles in some of them :D)

Also signifies the start of track season proper for me (i.e start of speed work) as moving into competition phase of training come next week.

I decided not to change in the end so you'll have some company at least. Hopefully there'll be a few around the 9.10-9.20 mark and it will make things a little easier on us.

Hopefully there'll be a few aiming around the 9.10-9.20 mark and it will make things a little easier on us.

FYP there given my lack of 3k work might not go to plan :D

ecoli wrote: »

Looks like there was only 2 x 3k races at this stage last year, not sure how they were grouped, A & (B,C+D) or (A+B) & (C+D)?

Edit: just checked the site (B+C) & A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'm in the 'A'. Hopefully I won't regret it. I'm confident about the first 1600, it's just the next 1400 I'm worried about - I'm definitely open to a last-minute change of grade!

Should be a good night anyway...there'll be loads doing the 800s and I'd say both 3ks will be packed too.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Should be a good night anyway...there'll be loads doing the 800s and I'd say both 3ks will be packed too.

I would say so. The one thing about looking at last years results as a guide, I think a number of people who would normally do the gradeds in Santry/Irishtown found it a bit of hassle to travel out to Tallaght (given traffic at the time). I would imagine this meet will probably have a little more depth by comparison

Those aren't "light brezes". :(

Some great running tonight by the boardsies, how did everyone get on?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Some great running tonight by the boardsies, how did everyone get on?

Good opening meet. The 3k was very busy. Two races in both the B/C grade and the A grade. A boards winner in the first B/C race and I almost made it a double in the second one but was pipped in the final straight.

I had a great plan to set my Garmin to lap by position so I could keep an eye on my lap times but then forgot to charge the watch. No great loss anyway as there was a coach from Donore calling out the lap splits. Was hoping for 73/74s all the way but after an opening 73, the pace dropped to 76 for the next two so I took to the lead. Brought it back down to 74s and maybe the last two were a little quicker. Hard to tell. Completely tied up in the last 50m when I made a final effort to hold my lead but delighted with the overall effort. My legs have never been so spent after a race. Roll on the 1500!

How did you get on on the 800?

I was happy with how I executed my race, 1st and last laps were my quickest and the middle ones were even splits - 9:51 for an 8 sec masters PB.

Great night (though the way it was dragging on it was nearly early morning by the time it finished :D)

Got lucky myself with all you speed merchants in the second race and only left me, Maria and a lad who they wouldn't wait for him to change into spikes.

The fear of being chicked was certainly a huge motivator those last 800:D

The one thing I took from the race though was the need for those lung busting sessions all things considered not sure I had the wheels to make the body push 100% but that will come in time over the summer.

Good opening meet. The 3k was very busy. Two races in both the B/C grade and the A grade. A boards winner in the first B/C race and I almost made it a double in the second one but was pipped in the final straight.

I had a great plan to set my Garmin to lap by position so I could keep an eye on my lap times but then forgot to charge the watch. No great loss anyway as there was a coach from Donore calling out the lap splits. Was hoping for 73/74s all the way but after an opening 73, the pace dropped to 76 for the next two so I took to the lead. Brought it back down to 74s and maybe the last two were a little quicker. Hard to tell. Completely tied up in the last 50m when I made a final effort to hold my lead but delighted with the overall effort. My legs have never been so spent after a race. Roll on the 1500!

How did you get on on the 800?

That was a great race you had, you ran really strong and it was great to watch. Shame he pipped you that close to the line but a great performance none the less.

2:12 I think for me in the 800m. Happy enough considering I wasn't really running a month ago due to injury! No speed there but held the pace throughout both laps so can't complain. Already looking forward to the next one.

2.03/4 for me, so in around what I expected. 30sec for the 1st 200m didn't feel hugely comfy, felt great with 300 to go so took the lead, only to die an utter death with 150 to go, dropped back to 4th. Still plenty of work to be done, I think I'm definitely lacking some speed yet to be honest, I really need to be able for a comfortable 58 1st lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Not a very enjoyable race for me, to be honest. A last-minute loss of confidence had me switching to the B: absolutely the right decision - would have been very ugly in the 'A' for me last night! I got out well but just didn't do anything at all after that; didn't go past anyone, couldn't kick. I just stayed behind the same two guys for the next 7.5 laps. KU and the ultimate winner went past us after about 2 laps, I think, and that was that. Really disappointed on the jog home last night, just a very flat race for me (despite the good group that was in it), so obviously wasn't as fit or as fast as I thought I was!

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Will stop crying into my coffee and start thinking about the next race - probably the Irishtown mile, going to skip Tallaght in two weeks. Won't get to do an 800 until Leinster.

• Advertisement

Sacksian wrote: »
    Anyway, onwards and upwards. Will stop crying into my coffee and start thinking about the next race - probably the Irishtown mile, going to skip Tallaght in two weeks. Won't get to do an 800 until Leinster.

Well as I say to any kid in the local club who have a poor race etc, your bad days make the good days even sweeter.

Well as I say to any kid in the local club who have a poor race etc, your bad days make the good days even sweeter.

Did you get your car back yet :pac:

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Did you get your car back yet :pac:

On the bus now! Hopefully i won't get arrested for breaking into myown car!

No sign of results yet??

No sign of results yet??

Yea, I know I was furtively F5ing the web page all day today at work. Of course now that I'm back home, I've, ahem, loads of better things to be doing.

Doesn't seem like the new system has sped things up greatly.

Just on the topic of speeding things up, that online system didn't seem to help matters much?! An hour behind is pretty bad, last 3k race didn't get going until close to 10pm. Was it mostly down to the sprints?

Yea, I know I was furtively F5ing the web page all day today at work. Of course now that I'm back home, I've, ahem, loads of better things to be doing.

Doesn't seem like the new system has sped things up greatly.

Have ya broke the f5 key yet?

Given team results from the Leinster 10 miler are still not available from the previous week either my advice would be save your poor little f5 button :D

Ye of little faith, they're going to post the results for the graded meet and the 10 miler any minute now.........

.......any minute now.........

.......any minute now........

• Advertisement

Results are up!

Advertisement