Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the differences/similarities in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European C

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

One is UK legislation the other Irish :-) to be honest never compared them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

+ the 2003 is set at a subconstitutional level, whatever that turns out to to and that the 1998 was been a political punch-bag for elements of the Tory part.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lons3

Manach wrote: »
    + the 2003 is set at a subconstitutional level, whatever that turns out to to and that the 1998 was been a political punch-bag for elements of the Tory part.

In what way did they use it as a punch-bag in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lons3

I'm trying to see how I can apply Nolan's article on the convergence of HRA and negligence to Irish Law ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

lons3 wrote: »
    In what way did they use it as a punch-bag in the UK?
    Offhand, Cameron and other have blamed the act for pandering excessively to the perceived rights culture and the inability to deport terrorist suspects. There was moves to scrap the act and replace it with a slimmed down version which would have been based on more traditional notions of liberties, but this likely got blocked by the liberals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

lons3 wrote: »
    I'm trying to see how I can apply Nolan's article on the convergence of HRA and negligence to Irish Law ðŸ‘

For Ireland you would probably want to sub in constitutional rights for the HRA. We still tend to deal primarily in terms of ECHR as an interprative aid to our own constitution.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

Having to do your own homework is not a breach of either.

Advertisement