Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies...

• 07-01-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi
    Looking for information about this course in ul, any information would be helpful and especially if you did this course i would like to hear your thoughts and experiences. I like the sound of it because i want to keep up my language and travel, im not too sure what area i want to go into and this course is supposedly very broad. I dont do history or any business subject so im not sure would that be a disadvantage or what!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

Yeah ive read through that already. Im more looking for the different careers you can get into and looking to found out peoples experiences, what there doing now etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 2btw2

I'm a fourth year student of European Studies. I picked the course for one thing only and that was to study French but I found political studies as the most interesting part of the course. I didn't really know what to do with my life and I felt that the course would be quite broad and would give me more direction in my future career.

The course was the best decision of my life. I ending up taking French, Spanish, Sociology, Politics and Economics route. I got to work with an engineering company in France and study for a year in Spain. The course is so varied, with most topics focus on issues in European society. I feel that the course has allowed me to take a more global perspective of the world.

I'm almost at the end of my time in UL and I already have a job sorted in Canada. Most other students in the course have either jobs lined up or are going on to do a Masters or PHD. Everyone is taking a really different route, some are continuing with Languages, some like my self are going down the business route and others are continuing with politics.

I feel like course has helped me develop as an individual, I got to travel and work as part of the course and this really helps you stand out when applying for jobs when you graduate. However I must say, that if you plan on staying in Ireland after you graduate, you might find your options are a bit limited. The way the course is designed you will probably find that there are better options for you abroad, especially with the languages. Most people European Studies graduates tend to work abroad first and then some return to Ireland once they have gained professional experience in their field.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement