Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying for BTEA

Options
  • 07-01-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I have applied for Nursing as a mature student.I am currently unemployed and will be relying on the BTEA if i'm offered a place.
    Nursing places are very competitive and it's probably unlikely i will get in but i wont know unless i try. My problem is will i have to stay on the Dole and unemployed until the offers come out in July to be eligible for BTEA??

I have completed a Healthcare support course and can work as a healthcare assistant. I would hate to stay on the dole and not be offered a place after wasting six months when i could have been working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Fame and Demise

You have to be on the dole for 9 months before to qualify for BTEA. I had to defer an offer I got because I wasn't on it 9 months. They might take a couple of weeks off if they're in a good mood but other than that there's no leeway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You need to have built up 234 signing days immediately before starting the course. This means that you can do some part time work as long as you have received Jobseekers for at least 234 days, (not counting Sundays) before the course starts. So if you are on the 'X's and O's system, claiming for some days and working others you can still qualify for BTEA.
    Qualifying Conditions

To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance (second level or third level option), a person must secure a place on an approved course (as specified above) and satisfy the following conditions immediately prior to the commencement of the first year of the course (see 1.14.9):

(A) at least 21 years of age (at least 24 years of age for an approved postgraduate qualification)

and

in receipt of one of the following social welfare payments for at least 3 months ( 78 days) for Second Level Option (SLO) and 9 months (234 days) for Third Level Option (TLO). [Linking rules may apply 1.11 and also see section 1.12]

Note: strict adherence to the condition in relation to qualifying days will be applied in all cases
    • Jobseekers Allowance
    • Jobseekers Benefit
    • Farm Assist
    • One-Parent Family Payment
    • Deserted Wife's Allowance
    • Deserted Wife's Benefit
    • Widow's/Widower's Non-Contributory Pension
    • Widow's/Widower's Contributory Pension
    • Prisoners Wife's Allowance
    • Carer's Allowance

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#1.9

Advertisement