Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Camps

Options
  • 08-01-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering if anybody knows of any decent triathlon training camps around May this year?

Or any advise for planning 10 days of training in Europe somewhere? Obviously a camp would be ideal..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

bredward wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody knows of any decent triathlon training camps around May this year?

Or any advise for planning 10 days of training in Europe somewhere? Obviously a camp would be ideal..

Check out Tri Sports Lanzarote, very good base to either do your own training or follow a camp. They have a 25mtr pool at their villa and biking in Lanza will make you strong!! http://www.trisportslanzarote.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

bredward wrote: »

Why May? Unless your key race is September is going to be counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bredward

tunney wrote: »
    Why May? Unless your key race is September is going to be counter productive.

Yes my key race is the end of august..

I suppose I'd be open to late April as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i think its not quite correct that a camp in May is counterproductive per se (for only distance one could certainly build a good case if it's the most valuable for full time working athelte (or better said earlier would be better) .

But what would be ones reasoning for it being counterproductive,
    if one does an Ironman end June beginning of July?
    for an ironman 5-8 weeks form the race would be perfect to get the big miles in and break up the boredom by training in a different place.
    i would certainly consider to go to the place the race is on and train on the course.

Also depends how one recovers from a flight,
    personally in May, I would think of going to Mallorca Sardinia catalonia rather canary islands is better its a a shorter flight (flying makes tired) that can give more training time than going to the canary islands ( which are great december january and maybe beginning of february)

ALso defo not altitude for a 10 day camp. Some elevation can be ok but i would suggest that 1500m is pretty much the highest one should consider. Ie a 10 day camp in st moritz, fount romeau would be madness ( for a full time working athelte) as you dodnt have time to adapt and waste valuable time with easier training .and of course may is too early in the year as weather not stable.

Sardina is a fantastic location, especially for people like me who have La Santa phobia ( much more cycle routes and choices than mallorca or lanza ) many quiet roads and amazing beaches all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

peter kern wrote: »

Sardina is a fantastic location, especially for people like me who have La Santa phobia ( much more cycle routes and choices than mallorca or lanza ) many quiet roads and amazing beaches all over the country.

Got to agree with that. Went with the club last year in April and had a fantastic week (April is always a bit uncertain). Road surfaces were pretty good and once you are off the main roads the traffic is very quiet. More than enough hills too, especially as we were based in a valley so no matter what way we went it was a climb. Scenery is stunning, beaches are fantastic and we even got a few open water swims in. Also plenty of places to run and we were close enough to get regular use from a swimming pool that's filled and heated from thermal springs.

I'm organising to be back again at beginning of April and have a few longer and tougher routes planned. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bredward

anyone have any experience with Embrace sports??

http://embracesports.co.uk/upcoming_holidays/irondistance.html

Advertisement