Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tug Toy / Chew Toy for powerful breed?

• 08-01-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Hi Yall

Here's the short version :

I've been looking for the past hour on the internet for a toy for a Doberman with a powerful chew.

Ideally I'm looking for a big tuggable chew toy, that will last a couple of months at least, and isn't made of Nylon as that's too loud on the hardwood floors.

That's it! :)

The long version aka The back story:

I've recently worked out his favourite toys are ones that are large enough for me to try and grab off him and play tug with. This is his favourite pass time in the world... Go grab big toy - come past me to see if I'll try and take it off me - pretend to walk away - make another pass and see if I'll try and take it off him.

I had a 3 large rubber ring toy that was great for tugging. One day it became a 2 ring toy and finally a one ring toy but he loved it, until it finally completely broke.

He just got a massive rubber bone for xmas from a well meaning friend (I had to say thanks a million but he'll have that in bits within a week). Sure enough now that's also dead.

I've gotten him Kongs but he's just not interested. (I don't like putting stuff inside them as it just gets messy.) I've given him Nylon bones but against the wood floors it's loud so I took them away.

So ideally a big hard rubber tug toy is what I'm after, that if he sat and chewed on for a few weeks wouldn't break.

I've ordered one of these
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/ropes_funstuff/rings/129779#more
    would be great if it was a bit bigger as it would make it better for tug games.

Something we can both get a handle on you know. Ideally something you've used yourself as I find lots of things that are advertised as 'tough' aren't Doberman tough :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I'd suggest having a look at the Kong Wubba. We got the puppy one for our lab, he loves it, throws it around, chews on it, plays tug with us and it's still in the same shape 5 months later (well, it needs a wash but that's it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

get him a good chew rope, ours has demolished most of his toys but he loves his rope, he'll eventually get it broken down as well it'll take him a long time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BZ2L1DW/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=pet-supplies something like this but chunkier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

@robocode - H robocode. Yip the Kong stuff is really good stuff. The Kong Wubba I know however from looking at it would be in tatters in a few weeks tops. Possibly even quicker. Dobermans have a really powerful bite, they just chew chew chew chew and their biting is scissor like in action. My previous Doberman was even worse than this one, he was able to chew the big red Kong toy into bits, only the x-large black extreme version stood up to him. My current Doberman is not as bad but still anything less than the large red Kong and it's in bits. Thanks anyway though :)

@wexie, @tk123 - Yip I've bought a number of those in the past and they're all in the graveyard. I swear his biting is like scissors. Anything that could possibly be cut with scissors will end up looking like it was cut to pieces but scissors all over my living room floor within a day or two.

You can see why I'm desperate enough to come here and ask now huh? :) Nothing lasts! :)

I've found these
    http://www.preciouspetscavan.ie/shop/dogs/dog-toys/rubber-tugger-detail
    http://www.petworlddirect.ie/p/seriously-strong-rubber-extreme-tugger/187039118
    http://www.petworlddirect.ie/p/toyz-twist-tugger/187039147

Which could be good but again could be another waste of money. It doesn't seem like that much but €6-€7 plus shipping, every week or two adds up to be another monthly bill I don't really need :) Hence why I'm hoping someone will say hey Sticky, get one of these tuggers, if you're Doberman can destroy it I'll buy you a pint :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

My dog destroys the strongest of supposedly strong toys rapid too, even those "seriously strong" things didnt last anytime. She has one of those rubber tuggers and pays no heed to it whatsoever as she just likes ropes better.

I did find a really good rope toy in tk maxx before christmas. It's so big and strong it actually looks like a hangmans noose which is a bit disturbing but despite getting plenty of action there's minimal damage to it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is he biting thru the ropes/tugs as you're playing with them or when he's left alone with them? If it's when he's left alone you could maybe buy one that's just for when you play together and not for him to be left alone with to chew - at least that way you won't be spending a fortune?

@Tea Tree - that's it, he'll destroy things which say extra tough on them.

@tk123 - yes what you're said is correct 100% but the problem is the solution you're presented I've tried and it doesn't work. Eventually I'll forget to take it away and then I'll look behind me and boom.. bits of the toy everywhere. Plus half of the 'fun part' of the game he likes to play is getting me to chase him, then playing tug, then he wins and he goes and triumphantly chews on the toy. It would kinda suck for him if I took his prize off him everytime. Plus is a great way of keeping him entertained. The tug toy will have little 'value' until it seems like I want it. If I play tug with him even for 20 seconds and he 'wins' then he makes sure to lay down somewhere within eye shot and chew his toy like the king. So ideally I want a tug toy that's chew resistant for this reason ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

i use a short length of lifting strap off a ratchet tie down with a knot in the middle , doesnt cost much and lasts ages

Hi everyone OP here again just reporting back with a conclusion.

I was ordering some dog food from zooplus.ie and I ordered this ring toy at the same time http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/ropes_funstuff/rings/129779

I was afraid it might be too small or it might not be tough enough. But I have to say it's almost totally perfect. I'm very happy with it! And it's only a fiver. My Doberman loves it and its' very easy to play tug with and he can chew on it after 'winning' as much as he wants.

Id' highly recommend them to anyone with a powerful chewer or anyone with a dog that loves to play tug! Thanks guys!!! :D:D

Advertisement