Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Tippee steam steriliser - anyone have one? Need your experience

Options
  • 08-01-2014 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have a Tommy Tippee steam steriliser (not the microwave one). This model has a grey plate on the base which is what heats the water to steam. I have been using this steriliser just over 2 weeks and have descaled it twice. The white plastic stand the bottles go in turns brown at the area directly above the grey plate. I am very careful to use the recommended amount of water. I also get a kind of scorched smell from the steriliser at times.

I am just wondering if this is normal for this steamer or if it is faulty? I have resorted to using my backup cold water steriliser as I am a bit put off by the discolouration. I should add that this doesn't improve particularly after being descaled either. Also although our water is a bit hard, I wouldn't say it is very much so and wouldn't normally have to descale my other appliances like the kettle that often.

This is my first experience of using a steriliser and I don't know if I am just being over concerned and this is normal and caused by the high temperature and nothing to worry about. Or should I return it to mothercare? It's a hassle to get to my nearest branch now that the twins are here!

If anyone else is using this steriliser can you let me know if you have noticed the same thing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi folks

I have a Tommy Tippee steam steriliser (not the microwave one). This model has a grey plate on the base which is what heats the water to steam. I have been using this steriliser just over 2 weeks and have descaled it twice. The white plastic stand the bottles go in turns brown at the area directly above the grey plate. I am very careful to use the recommended amount of water. I also get a kind of scorched smell from the steriliser at times.

I am just wondering if this is normal for this steamer or if it is faulty? I have resorted to using my backup cold water steriliser as I am a bit put off by the discolouration. I should add that this doesn't improve particularly after being descaled either. Also although our water is a bit hard, I wouldn't say it is very much so and wouldn't normally have to descale my other appliances like the kettle that often.

This is my first experience of using a steriliser and I don't know if I am just being over concerned and this is normal and caused by the high temperature and nothing to worry about. Or should I return it to mothercare? It's a hassle to get to my nearest branch now that the twins are here!

If anyone else is using this steriliser can you let me know if you have noticed the same thing?

Thanks!

Hi there! We have 2 of these sterilisers. One in my mums house and one in our house. They are about a year old now and I've never had to descale them! The plate is only a tiny bit brown and the while stands are perfect. I only put the stands in the dishwasher once every so often. And then they only get the tiniest tinge I yellow I them.

Maybe your water is a little harder than ours but i wouldnt think you should be getting a scorched smell! Perhaps you got a faulty one? I'd take it straight back to the shop... Especially if you're getting a burning smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi there! We have 2 of these sterilisers. One in my mums house and one in our house. They are about a year old now and I've never had to descale them! The plate is only a tiny bit brown and the while stands are perfect. I only put the stands in the dishwasher once every so often. And then they only get the tiniest tinge I yellow I them.

Maybe your water is a little harder than ours but i wouldnt think you should be getting a scorched smell! Perhaps you got a faulty one? I'd take it straight back to the shop... Especially if you're getting a burning smell.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking - that it's faulty? I think the problem is actually the timer on it - it takes way longer than 5 mins for the cycle so I think the problem is caused by the unit running for too long and still running when no water is left in it. First time it seemed to take ages I thought hubby must've put too much water in. To be honest I usually start it when I pop the kettle on and then just leave it to run and don't pay any heed to it until I am ready to make the bottles. But I noticed the other day that it took way longer than 5 mins. I must actually time it this morning and if it is longer than 5 mins that would explain the scorching and discolouration.

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We have it, been using it over a year. Ours needs descaling about once a week because our water is very hard. I've no idea how long it takes, I just put it on and leave it. I use citric acid and scrub it well and its perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yeah that's what I'm thinking - that it's faulty? I think the problem is actually the timer on it - it takes way longer than 5 mins for the cycle so I think the problem is caused by the unit running for too long and still running when no water is left in it. First time it seemed to take ages I thought hubby must've put too much water in. To be honest I usually start it when I pop the kettle on and then just leave it to run and don't pay any heed to it until I am ready to make the bottles. But I noticed the other day that it took way longer than 5 mins. I must actually time it this morning and if it is longer than 5 mins that would explain the scorching and discolouration.

Thanks for your reply!

Yea sometimes the sterilising cycle can take longer if you put more than the 80ml of water into it. But as you said you are putting in the correct amount if def say there's something wrong with it.

Also, in our 2 sterilisers there is always a little bit of water left in the bottom after each cycle as we have to tip it out wch time we're putting on a new cycle. So if yours is using up all the water the cycle Is going way too long.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Advertisement