Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oculus Rift Workshop.

• 08-01-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭

Approx one week ago I purchased a Dev kit Oculus Rift from Adverts. (stumbled onto it)

Plugged it into my PC - Did the 2 minute register with https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/

Downloaded : Oculus Configuration utility - configuration took 1 minute to do.
    Downloaded : Oculus World Demo

Put on the Head unit and loaded up Tuscany demo. http://goo.gl/7AQEol

At this point, two things happened.

1/ My life experience in gaming took, "one giant leap forward."
    2/ Realised the Potential for this hardware, is off the CHART

Quickly Hungry for more, I downloaded rollorcoaster demo : http://goo.gl/FgEY5S

then went onto steam and downloaded war thunder for Free : http://goo.gl/YdXd20

then purchased Strike Suit zero : http://goo.gl/Ukg6rp

Few more Interesting things I tried was :-

Spacewalk - (very cool to be a spaceman)
    VR_Cinema - very cool to be in an empty Cinema house.
    Light in the Night - Firework with audio reactive fireworks.
    Now looking into iracing, need to get a Logitech G27 first.

Now after the Fun, I'm looking into how to build something myself, something simple

Using VR Player, you can watch simple 2D movies that's reactive to the Oculus Rift.

Pictures on http://phereo.com/popular have Oculus Rift support and look VERY 3 dimensional.

Does anyone have any more experience, with this hardware. or maybe unity which ports well with this hardware

I'd like to start off with making a box in sketchup/3dmax. then being able to walk around it. using simple keyboard commands. "WSAD", of which viewing through the Oculus rift would be real-time.

"Razor - Hydra" support and integration would be a project further down the line.

My limited understanding at the moment would be I would have to build in blender- import into unity. then create application.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I haven't looked yet at how unity works with the Oculus Rift.
    But you can create a simple character controller from the standard packages that come with unity.
    Then create some planes for floor and even again for walls and with a unity cube in the center.
    But for complex models later, you would need something like Blender alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Getting it working in Unity is very straightforward - they provide a package which gives you a custom camera controller to use in your scene that does all the necessary work. Last year's Unite (yearly Unity3D developer conference) had a good introductory talk on how to get it up an running.

The only trick is that Rift integration requires the Pro version of Unity because the final image warping requires render-to-texture functionality. I've heard it's possible to get it working in the free version with various workarounds, but haven't tried that myself. You can probably find more information on the MTBS Oculus forum or the official developer forums.

The good news is that each Rift devkit comes with a 4-month Unity Pro trial. You claim it with the email address that originally bought the kit, so you'll have to contact whoever you bought the kit off and hope they haven't activated the Unity trial yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Thanks for the Great Info, Will look into it.

Is Unity the only option available at the moment, Whats the learning curve like>?

How were your experiences with the Rift?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Unreal also supports the Rift, but I don't have any experience with that. From what I can tell the implementation isn't as good (more latency than with Unity) and the support is lagging. Unreal is generally accepted as having a much steeper learning curve than Unity, and the community support for Unity is miles ahead.

Of course if you're a coder then you can also just directly use the C++ SDK and do whatever you want. The Unity plugin is just a wrapper for this.

As for my experiences, I'm a fan. I first got a demo of it by Nate and Palmer in a corridor at Siggraph a couple of years ago when it was just a bare circuit board that you held to your face. I was sick to my stomach for most of the next session, but the potential was obvious. I see big things ahead for VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SlickanTwisted

iracing is mental but def takes a bit of getting used to. there is a couple of problems to iron out but being a dev kit its miles bettter then anything else out there. www.riftenabled.com is where you get all the latest rift games and demos. i for one cant wait for the consumer version and will happly pay more then the dev kit. it the dev kit was all we were getting i would be happy with that too but know that there is sooooo much more to come when they release it this year. from what i have seen they now have led lights in teh head mount which are used to track head movement via a camera to add more realism to the expriance. also the screeens are oled so definetly gonna piss all over the the 1080 dev kit. get a fantec wheel instead of the logitec. me personally its better. i have the csr wheel and pedal set but will be upgrading to teh clubsports base wheel and pedals in the next 4 weeks. see you on the track sometime ?

• Advertisement

Yep, found a Fantec wheel on adverts, hopefull try out IRacing end of next week with the Oculus Rift.

Not really good at driving games, but interested in the experiance.

Looking at the unity programme now, and how I'm going to get my head around it.

Would be great to get a few lessons in it somehow, somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

W0LFMAN wrote: »

I'd go just for a chance to try it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

W0LFMAN wrote: »

RedXIV wrote: »

What try out the Rift???

Its excellent, its potential is massive.

Been trolling the Oculus Forums and stumbled onto a few more interesting Topics/ideas.

360 videos used in VR player. not many available, but was given a few links.

1 was a 360 video of a fish tank. which was cool.
    1 was a striptease which was very cool. (NSFW)

I'm telling you, this thing is going to change so many industries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Try Elite Dangerous. By far the best experience i have tried yet. Really benefits from having a HOTAS setup.

Advertisement