Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried my husky puppy is younger than the age her breeders said she is!

• 08-01-2014 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hiya, I purchased a beautiful female black and white husky puppy yesterday.
    I have had dogs before but this is my first time owning a husky, hence I'm looking for some advice on something I'm worried about!

Basically, her breeder told us she was around 9 weeks old, which I believed as I'd never really seen a young husky pup before so I wasn't sure what to expect when it comes to size etc., but after bringing her home and letting her settle in I just started to wonder if she should be that small for her age, considering Siberians are a large enough breed. So I searched '9 week old husky' on google images and all the pictures that came up just seemed bigger than her! These puppies had fully pointed upright ears, longer looking legs and just looked more developed in general. So I googled 6 week old huskies and they seemed to be more of a match to her size & level of development.

I know I may just be being paranoid because this is my first time owning one of these lovely dogs, but the main reason I'm worried is because I know it can have long term health effects on a dog if they're weaned from their mother too early and I just want to make sure she's 100% healthy!

The puppy is very placid, she sleeps alot but she does get very playful too at times, she tries her best to howl & bark and she does seem strong. She eats & drinks okay too.
    I know that usually in a litter there is a smaller younger looking puppy, but I saw pictures of the whole litter that were taken the day before we got her and they all looked the same size, so that's really what got me worrying about her age.

Thanks in advancesmile.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113763183@N04/11827867253/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113763183@N04/11828014564/in/photostream/
    photostream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

does she have a vaccination cert from the vet?

tbh even if she is 6 weeks old. she would have been weaned from the mother anyway. Is she eating and drinking ok?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Without having even read your post, I looked at your pics and assumed her to be aged around 10 to 12 weeks.
    She's way too developed to be only 6 weeks old.
    Ears on prick-eared dogs will often flop until they're finished teething, sometimes just the one ear will flop.
    The one observation I'd have is that she looks a litte wormy, her belly is a little distended and her coat a tad on the stary side. So, if you haven't already, get a nice, gentle puppy wormer for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lana madalena

amandaf675 wrote: »
    does she have a vaccination cert from the vet?

tbh even if she is 6 weeks old. she would have been weaned from the mother anyway. Is she eating and drinking ok?

Yes, it says she had her first 2 primary vaccinations on the 18th of December. There's 2 stickers, one says Eurican L and the other says Nobivac DHPPi.

She's eating and drinking fine, loves her food and she's brightened up a lot today. Chewing the cushions, wagging her tail a lot and just being very playful :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

I wouldnt be worried so! But she needs her other vaccinations asap :D
    She will be quiet and shy until she gets to know her surroundings!

DBB wrote: »
    Without having even read your post, I looked at your pics and assumed her to be aged around 10 to 12 weeks.
    She's way too developed to be only 6 weeks old.
    Ears on prick-eared dogs will often flop until they're finished teething, sometimes just the one ear will flop.
    The one observation I'd have is that she looks a litte wormy, her belly is a little distended and her coat a tad on the stary side. So, if you haven't already, get a nice, gentle puppy wormer for her.

That's great, you've put my mind at rest.

I did think she looked a little bloated myself, so that's why then. We were told she was wormed before but they didn't tell us when the most recent one was was done, so I'll definitely mention it to the vet :-)

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yes, it says she had her first 2 primary vaccinations on the 18th of December. There's 2 stickers, one says Eurican L and the other says Nobivac DHPPi.

She's eating and drinking fine, loves her food and she's brightened up a lot today. Chewing the cushions, wagging her tail a lot and just being very playful :-)

She has a lovely little face! :P

Have you taken her to the vet yet? Our vet does free puppy checks, however if it's 3 weeks since she had her first vac. then you need to schedule the next set. Some brands have 4 weeks between doses and some have 2 so you may be too late depending on which brand it is and may have to start from scratch.

amandaf675 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be worried so! But she needs her other vaccinations asap :D
    She will be quiet and shy until she gets to know her surroundings!

Well she's going to the vet on Friday so she'll have her 2nd vaccinations done then :-)

Thanks for the help!

tk123 wrote: »
    She has a lovely little face! :P

Have you taken her to the vet yet? Our vet does free puppy checks, however if it's 3 weeks since she had her first vac. then you need to schedule the next set. Some brands have 4 weeks between doses and some have 2 so you may be too late depending on which brand it is and may have to start from scratch.

She is a little cutie alright! :-)

No, not yet but I'm bringing her down on Friday for an over all check up, get whatever she needs done and get her microchipped. Hopefully we won't have to start all over again with the vaccinations, but even if we do the vet will have her sorted in no time :-)

Advertisement