Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Go direct to TV

• 08-01-2014 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Looking at a number of alternatives in order to have Sky Go stream directly to a TV.

Apple TV is out since Sky blocked jailbroken iOS devices from working with the Sky Go app.

Android Sticks tickled my fancy. USB sized devices which plug into TVs via a HDMI port. Sky Go and Android doesn't go well together however. Are there any known Android Sticks which can run Sky Go ? Are there any Mini PCs which can plug into a HDMI port which are capable of running windows so it can then run Sky GO ?

I guess the last place to look would be to a cheap PC running windows and connect to my TV. This obviously would be the most expensive. Acer Revo maybe ?

Anyone have any luck getting this done ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

The last time I looked into this, an xbox was the best solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

T-K-O wrote: »
    The last time I looked into this, an xbox was the best solution
    and still is

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1dVHszHoPE

These guys somehow managed to get Sky Go working on the Minix Neo 7.
    Trouble is I can't find how they managed to do it. The brief article associated with this video on their website gives nothing away...and is in Italian.

Skygo from my Ultrabook to my Tv is pretty much top quality. The laziness in me decided I needed an Android box to replace having to get up..turn the laptop on and connect it up...and replace sticking a USB in my tv for movies...or using the PS3 Media Server.

So I bought the Minix for XBMC ...and a wish for Skygo going forward.

The laptop is still the best option I have for Sky really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

uRbaN wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1dVHszHoPE

These guys somehow managed to get Sky Go working on the Minix Neo 7.
    Trouble is I can't find how they managed to do it. The brief article associated with this video on their website gives nothing away...and is in Italian.

Skygo from my Ultrabook to my Tv is pretty much top quality. The laziness in me decided I needed an Android box to replace having to get up..turn the laptop on and connect it up...and replace sticking a USB in my tv for movies...or using the PS3 Media Server.

So I bought the Minix for XBMC ...and a wish for Skygo going forward.

The laptop is still the best option I have for Sky really.

I've been tooling around with XBMC on my raspberry pi the last few days. I'd love to be able to watch my sky go through it, for similar reasons to yourself i.e. I'd never be arsed getting up and hooking something up to the telly. Have you done any research into getting Sky GO on xbmc? I just googled it and there's a 100 page thread on xbmc.org and some videos on youtube, but I suspect the focus has been on xbmc for windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

RonnieL wrote: »
    I've been tooling around with XBMC on my raspberry pi the last few days. I'd love to be able to watch my sky go through it, for similar reasons to yourself i.e. I'd never be arsed getting up and hooking something up to the telly. Have you done any research into getting Sky GO on xbmc? I just googled it and there's a 100 page thread on xbmc.org and some videos on youtube, but I suspect the focus has been on xbmc for windows.

I have been doing copius amount of research mainly Android based. There does appear to be some success re: XBMC for Windows..but I glossed over that so I honestly don't know if that still works.

I did find the source article for the Youtube link above.
    They used a Hacked Sky Go apk, rooted the machine and used HDMI Virtual Switch to hide the HDMI from the app.

Unfortunately the App is for Sky Italia...and force closes on launch.
    Its the Laptop / iPad for me currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭RonnieL

uRbaN wrote: »
    I have been doing copius amount of research mainly Android based. There does appear to be some success re: XBMC for Windows..but I glossed over that so I honestly don't know if that still works.

I did find the source article for the Youtube link above.
    They used a Hacked Sky Go apk, rooted the machine and used HDMI Virtual Switch to hide the HDMI from the app.

Unfortunately the App is for Sky Italia...and force closes on launch.
    Its the Laptop / iPad for me currently.

Oh well. If you have any success in the future, be sure to reply here. I'll do the same in the unlikely event that I figure something out.

Advertisement