Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a demilled firearm to Ireland

Options
  • 08-01-2014 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I want to order a demilled AK47 (fully demilled according to German law with documents) and have it posted to Ireland

Has anyone done this before? any issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Even best case (which would be a straight pull configuration) I be AMAZED if you got that licenced.

It'd be ruled out on aesthetic alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stingerbar wrote: »
    (fully demilled according to German law with documents)

What's fully demilled according to German law entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I remember it being done before, but since that incident landed the student involved not only in hot water with the Gardai, but with the NCAD as well (he'd imported two AK47s for an art project without telling anyone)... I'd really really recommend you talk to your local super before doing anything!

The technical aspect of it is that yes, if it's been put beyond use, you can have one for decorative purposes just with the permission of the local super (if it was in working order, it'd be a class A firearm under EU law and not licencable at all in Ireland or in most of the EU for that matter). In practice though, it really is all down to your local super.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Thanks for the replies, wasnt sure if this was the correct forum. The firearms are fully demilled, drilled, pins removed, etc for decorative purposes only. If the local super has to be contacted I might give it a miss so, it would probably be the same for replicas correct?

Here's the site anyway
    http://www.zib-militaria.de/epages/61431412.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61431412/Categories/%22Original%20Deko%20Waffen%22

If you mean replica AK47s in the sense of airsoft AK47s, no, you can buy those over the counter. It's the real thing (specifically the put-beyond-use real thing) that needs the local super's permission (the working real thing would, strictly speaking, need the permission of the Minister for Justice :pac: ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Vegeta wrote: »
    What's fully demilled according to German law entail?

Barrel drilled out in six consecutive places not smaller than a 1/4 the bore size , One hole to contain a steel pin the same dia as the drill hole arc welded in place.
    Chamber to be welded shut with arc weld . Bolt face to be defaced by cutting,grinding as well as firing pin hole to be cut and welded shut with arc weld. Mags and trigger mechanism can still function.
    IOW up to UK "old spec" deactivation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Barrel drilled out in six consecutive places not smaller than a 1/4 the bore size , One hole to contain a steel pin the same dia as the drill hole arc welded in place.
    Chamber to be welded shut with arc weld . Bolt face to be defaced by cutting,grinding as well as firing pin hole to be cut and welded shut with arc weld. Mags and trigger mechanism can still function.
    IOW up to UK "old spec" deactivation.

Thanks Grizz, sounds thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

aha - I had taken "demilled" to mean reconfigured from military spec (converted to semi or single shot), as opposed to being deactivated. My mistake.

Have a chat with some of the reenactor groups - they seem to be able to sort out such permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Stingerbar wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, wasnt sure if this was the correct forum. The firearms are fully demilled, drilled, pins removed, etc for decorative purposes only. If the local super has to be contacted I might give it a miss so, it would probably be the same for replicas correct?

Here's the site anyway
    http://www.zib-militaria.de/epages/61431412.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61431412/Categories/%22Original%20Deko%20Waffen%22

It's only a chat with the Super so it's no big effort really. Either he will allow you to have it or not.

The only hassle is trying to get to speak to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

If its fully de activated as indicated, are they still classed as firearms? If not then there should be no problem but that's only my opinion, most probably there are some rediculous restrictions as with everything here. It always baffles me that an airsoft gun producing less than one jule is not a firearm but a moderator is a firearm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Not regarded as firearm, you just need a letter of permission from your super.

Blay wrote: »
    Not regarded as firearm, you just need a letter of permission from your super.
    Moderators are firearms under the law (read the section one definition of what "firearm" means in the Act).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sparks wrote: »
    Moderators are firearms under the law (read the section one definition of what "firearm" means in the Act).

I meant the AK.

Strictly speaking (in fact, not even all that strictly), still a firearm as well -- oddly, the law in Ireland has no provision for put-beyond-use firearms, in fact they explicitly state in the law that they're still firearms:
    Section 1 wrote:
    “firearm” means—

(f) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be,

The AGS have just always handled the relatively tiny number of people with decorative deacts using section 2(5) as a kind of catch-all general purpose permission slip.

Advertisement