Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - Kitty safe 'arium

Options
  • 08-01-2014 10:53am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, bit of a background but I'm a foster family of cats and got my own cats; they young once are about 2-3 kilo of weight and sometimes decides to zoom around like someone promised free kitty nip if they break the sound barrier and easily knock over items multiple times their weight.

As part of making their life more interesting I'm looking at creating a environment for them to look into (note I'm not decided on what type of animals to keep in it but unlikely to be fish but more on that later) to keep them entertained and stimulate them. Ideally active during the day (as we want our cats to sleep during the night) but not required. Hence I'm looking at setting up something with animals that move around (don't need to be anything to extreme speed but enough to cach the attention of a cat) that's very easily maintained and can with stand kitties walking/jumping on/off it. Obviously I don't want animals that would be afraid if a cat sticks their face up or paw the glass when it's on the other side.

In terms of size I'd like to keep it relatively small (ideally below 1m on any side) and avoid needing to be fixed to a wall if possible.

The only thing I've seen so far was a 50cm hanging ball of glass with frogs in it as example but I'm open for any ideas to be honest. I've had an aquarium as a youngster but nothing since (and those fishes tended to die a lot and reading this forum I did pretty much everything wrong but cela vie) of relevant experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

If you go the fish way, then avoid wild caught fish.

These are generally more skittish than fish bred in captivity for generations.

I find catfish (Corydoras) and angelfish are very calm.

Angelfish are ideal as they are slow swimmers, can grow quite large, and more likely to draw attention of the cats.

Advertisement