Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vet bedding

• 08-01-2014 11:33am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question, my two have outside kennels for when we are out longer than 6 hours, rarely used!
    But I was wondering in this wet weather would vet bedding be best for inside their kennels.
    At the minute the small one has a pillow and the big one has a duvet but as you can imagine they sometimes get wet.

They are both open kennels as both are scared of doors! they're in a protected location, but as unpredictable as our weather is, it means that sometimes the rain would blow in.

Other question, is it safe to leave a coat on a dog outside unmonitored?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Before my outdoor dog died (a rescue, never could get him to come indoors - PTS at 17 a couple months ago) I would take his duvet out of his kennel and drape it in the boiler shed to dry off (if it got a bit wet from driving rain) - I had a few that I would rotate. Since your dogs are only in the kennel when you are out, this might work? - or if you dont have a boiler shed/whatever, you could just hang them to dry somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

The Vet bed would be more suitable as any wet from the dog goes to the bottom
    of the vet bed and the top part stays dry.
    Duvets,pillows etc will all just stay wet and they absorb any moisture if it's damp.
    Vet bed is the business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Student2014

Can you recommend a good value place online to buy PnH vet bedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

you can get it here!

I invested in some one for indoors and outdoors about 8 years ago and they are still perfect!!

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/251997

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/298732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you are anywhere near Dublin, pop along to one of the dog shows in swords and you will get vet bed at great price. Much cheaper than online.
    There's the big ikc show on 15th march.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Apologies if this question has already been answered! Is vet bed comfy enough for a dog to lie on by itself? Or do you put it on top of a bed? I am thinking it would look neater and nicer in my front room! Lol lol my dogs have super cosy beds at night time this would be just for downstairs when we are in front room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I put it in a bed for my cats but it's perfectly fine without anything under, in use it with nothing under in crates, and vets use it without anything under (bar maybe newspaper for soakage) when pets are in the clinic!

I put it in a bed for my cats but it's perfectly fine without anything under, in use it with nothing under in crates, and vets use it without anything under (bar maybe newspaper for soakage) when pets are in the clinic!

Thanks for that! My dogs are around 30kg. I asked on vets yesterday and they said they use it on its own. My problem is I have never seen it in the flesh! How much should I be paying for it? I will be buying online as am due baby any day. How thick is it? I saw one for a special one for old dogs or are they all the same? Apologies for all the questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm not sure how much it costs as I got it at pet expo/cat shows and they are generally cheapest at those kind of things, and the are about an inch thick I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

Positive dog training in Sandyford ind estate are selling 5 ft x 4 ft of vet bed for €35:)
    Pet shops sell for about €25 a ft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What about this one? Would 100cm x 75cm be ok for a labrador?
    http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_group.asp?dept_id=317&pg_id=640
    I want to buy 3 of them?

Millem wrote: »
    What about this one? Would 100cm x 75cm be ok for a labrador?
    http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_group.asp?dept_id=317&pg_id=640

Thats what size I always get for my retriever :) I have Bronte Glen vet bed years and it's good as new.

tk123 wrote: »
    Thats what size I always get for my retriever :) I have Bronte Glen vet bed years and it's good as new.

Is this a good price tk123? I wonder would it fit in parcel motel? Otherwise I can get it off amazon maybe.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Traditional-Puppy-Bedding-100x75/dp/B004WOX9H6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1389466797&sr=1-1&keywords=vet+bed
    3 including delivery to Ireland is around €54 (roughly) but if it fit in parcel motel it would be cheaper :)
    Or this http://www.petnhome.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=12063{1}137
    £18 delivery to Ireland or £5 delivery to uk + parcel motel
    There seems to be a few brands; vetbed, profleece, bronte glen and pnh. Are they all as good as each other?

Is this a good price tk123? I wonder would it fit in parcel motel? Otherwise I can get it off amazon maybe.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Traditional-Puppy-Bedding-100x75/dp/B004WOX9H6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1389466797&sr=1-1&keywords=vet+bed
    3 including delivery to Ireland is around €54 (roughly) but if it fit in parcel motel it would be cheaper :)
    There seems to be a few brands; vetbed, profleece, bronte glen and pnh. Are they all as good as each other?

I paid €45 at Pet Expo for 2 huge pieces approx. 100 x 150 at Pet Expo a few years ago. I'm not sure if 3 pieces would fit in the parcel motel locker - you might be better off just paying their shipping (it was 2 day when i got a crate off them) or get it from amazon? Getting a roll of it and cutting it to size could work out cheaper too.

I paid €45 at Pet Expo for 2 huge pieces approx. 100 x 150 at Pet Expo a few years ago. I'm not sure if 3 pieces would fit in the parcel motel locker - you might be better off just paying their shipping (it was 2 day when i got a crate off them) or get it from amazon? Getting a roll of it and cutting it to size could work out cheaper too.

Would white get filthy? I need a light colour as they are yellow!

I have the wheat/gold colour and find it great - does show up the hair and doesn't get that dirty looking.

I have the wheat/gold colour and find it great - does show up the hair and doesn't get that dirty looking.

White one from amazon is €56 for 3m x 75cm. It is for puppies? Dog food direct sell profleece I might ring him on Monday as it would be €50ish with him but he might give me a discount if I buy it in one piece? Dog food direct are actually doing 3 for 2 or 4 for 3! Is it comfy enough for your golden to lie on for a few hours by itself? I wonder though is the profleece that dog food direct sell any good? http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/profleece-bedding-118-cm-x-75cm/ this is the best deal I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

One thing they don't tell you about Vet Bed is that you need to wash it several times before use, it moults when new and if your dog is a licker they'l get a monster hairball. Even though I've always prewashed ours, I still find fibre reinforced poos in the garden, weirder still is when it's been raining a lot and all that's left is a poo shaped lump of vet bed wool.

It is definitely THE best bedding though even when they've knocked their water bowl over on it it was still dry to touch. It's very expensive, but it goes on forever, we decided that our several ones were a bit shabby so went through a series of "cheaper" options, when we had spent more than twice what the vet bed would have cost us and filled a few bins with the tattered remnants, we went back to vet bed.

The breeder we got one of our dogs from used the pawprint vet bed as her front room rug, it was about 8 foot square, must have cost a fortune.

Cedrus wrote: »
    One thing they don't tell you about Vet Bed is that you need to wash it several times before use, it moults when new and if your dog is a licker they'l get a monster hairball. Even though I've always prewashed ours, I still find fibre reinforced poos in the garden, weirder still is when it's been raining a lot and all that's left is a poo shaped lump of vet bed wool.

It is definitely THE best bedding though even when they've knocked their water bowl over on it it was still dry to touch. It's very expensive, but it goes on forever, we decided that our several ones were a bit shabby so went through a series of "cheaper" options, when we had spent more than twice what the vet bed would have cost us and filled a few bins with the tattered remnants, we went back to vet bed.

The breeder we got one of our dogs from used the pawprint vet bed as her front room rug, it was about 8 foot square, must have cost a fortune.

I want to do what your breeder did for the "good" room! I need something lightish in colour. I am going to get it in one piece then I can cut it up if I want! But I reckon 3m will be enough ! I reckon though dog food direct will be my best bet! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FBDYCQE/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALFFVOUR67REK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I want to do what your breeder did for the "good" room! I need something lightish in colour. I am going to get it in one piece then I can cut it up if I want! But I reckon 3m will be enough ! I reckon though dog food direct will be my best bet! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FBDYCQE/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALFFVOUR67REK

Vet Bed is usually about 1 metre-ish wide so I assume she stitched 3-4 pieces together.

Advertisement