Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 12-month - USA Sept 2014

Options
  • 08-01-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi i am looking into doing the 12month usa visa.. starting september 2014. i am thinking of going to san Francisco.. just worried about getting a job and accomodation set up. has anyone done this before? any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭GavK

Hey! I'm in Boston on that Visa since September, heading to Chicago next week. You should definitely go for it. What do you want to know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 usa2014sanfran

Did you find a paid job ok in boston when you arrived? That's what I'm nervous about mostly.. And finding accommodation haha!

Yeah theres plenty of work out here. Whats your degree in ? I got a job with a marketing company out here but I want to go back to Chicago because I was on a J1 there last year and loved it. I know how you feel but once you get over here you'll be flying

Yeah I know what you mean. I am doing a business and IT degree - so I could go into different fields. Are you leaving your job in Boston then to go to Chicago? Did you get your visa with usit or IIIC?

I've a business degree. When they tell you you have to get a job related to your degree that means it just has to be related to a module you studied during college. I did a marketing class in 2nd year so that enabled me to work with the marketing company out here. Go with the IIIC they are alot cheaper than USIT. I went with USIT and they robbed me blind.

• Advertisement

how did you find the job searching process when you got to the states?? or did you have something organised before you went over? I'm definately going to go with IIIC

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AnnaBooBoo

It's really hard to find a paid job sometimes. I did the year visa last year and went to NYC where I thought there would be sooooooo many paid jobs I would be up to my ears trying to pick just the one but alas there were basically none!! All unpaid internships with such huge demand and interest even getting an interview was an achievement in itself!

My friend went to Boston and got sorted straight away almost very jealous but maybe you might have better luck in San Fran.

Advertisement