Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

It was an excellent result and there seems to be a great bunch of lads coming through but let's face it, gaelic football is a minority sport in tipp.
    I'd say soccer and rugby are probably more popular.

It's been the poor relation for a long time now. The county board don't even seem too bothered with it. Most clubs ignore it for the most part but field a team to fulfil the fixture and help towards building fitness ahead of the hurling season. From playing in mid tipp we never once trained with the large ball and I know it was similar in most of the clubs in mid and North tipp at least.

I'm sure some people will start jumping on the bandwagon soon especially if they can follow it up with some silverware. But the fact remains that people in tipp aren't overly concerned with football, not to mention the under 21's.

Id prefer the hurling myself (lets face it for me no other sport on the globe beats it for speed skill and physicality) but GAA to me is all about shouting for your local team or county regardless of whether its Football or Hurling. Although i genuinely like to watch both sports. I realise everyone takes it on a different basis and football perhaps suffers due to the devotion and admiration for hurling in this county. I was in Portlaoise for the minor quarter final back in 2011 and we definitely outnumbered the other three footballing counties supporters that day so success and fanship is about capturing the public imagination really. You have to earn the right to get a following.

I think we can yield a bit of success out of football in this county but the catch-22 in terms of promotion of both at the moment is that we have a lot of lads who are fairly good at the two.

Funnily you mention the hurling clubs using football for fitness. Overheard a player from my own club Mullinahone tell someone that they would prefer to be senior football because schedule and preparation wise its better to them then intermediate in terms of preparing for the Senior hurling championship. Real sign of the times because they were a football stronghold for many years until John Leahy made the breakthrough.

In terms of Milltown Malbay id imagine youd be aware of a 650 strong support there unlike if say the game had been played in Thurles or Ennis yeah? Not a bad turn out for a one sided game where the supporters of the favourites had to travel the far side of West Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Your post is generally spot on up to the bit ive highlighted. You see the frustrating thing is we are good enough and have proved it when we went toe to toe with the Cats in both 09 and 10. We coasted to the final in 11 barring the Clare game where we nearly got caught and our intensity plombed in the final. We've never quite reached the heights of the Sheedy years since he left. Ok i felt we were sort of unlucky last year in Nowlan but the real craw about this whole thing is that we go into a negative spiral after winning an All ireland instead of pushing on and reaching new levels. We done it after 01 and we have done it yet again. We cant keep putting it down to bad luck or 'meeting a better team'. Yes Kilkenny are a fine team but we've proven we can compete with and beat them for two years running but since then nothing.

No one is imagining things and our lads just arent playing quite near what they are capable of. No one got involved in rucks the other day. To see lads just standing looking on is a truly awful sight at any level of importance.

I agree that its too defeatist to just accept that we are not good enough. We were the best team in 2010 and went toe to toe with the greatest ever in 2009. I don't believe any of the teams since that time have come anywhere near that level. The Cork team that played in the All-Ireland last year would have been on the train home at half-time in either 2009 and 2010 all-ireland.

Re Nowlan Park last year, I can't agree that we were unlucky. We met a Kilkenny at its lowest ebb in the entire Cody era and in the second half of that match our forwards took such a hiding off their backs, that the guards should have been called. We were actually lucky we met a Kilkenny team whose forwards were playing very poorly and our backs did quite well, otherwise we would have got a good beating.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I agree that its too defeatist to just accept that we are not good enough. We were the best team in 2010 and went toe to toe with the greatest ever in 2009. I don't believe any of the teams since that time have come anywhere near that level. The Cork team that played in the All-Ireland last year would have been on the train home at half-time in either 2009 and 2010 all-ireland.

Re Nowlan Park last year, I can't agree that we were unlucky. We met a Kilkenny at its lowest ebb in the entire Cody era and in the second half of that match our forwards took such a hiding off their backs, that the guards should have been called. We were actually lucky we met a Kilkenny team whose forwards were playing very poorly and our backs did quite well, otherwise we would have got a good beating.

Oh i accept we werent good enough but WHY is what id like to know. We didnt we evolve as a team into an even better animal after 2010? It was well within our sphere.

There just seems to be too much of a willingness to shrug the shoulders and not take a good long hard look at what we could possibly be doing wrong. The lack of intensity is the most obvious thing from the stand. There is even little boys and girls in the primary game that bring more intensity to the table then the sh*te we are witnessing at present. Eamon O'Shea called them 'Men of honour' last year. They are far far from it.

Point taken re Nowlan. I felt though when Woodlock ran at them the space opened up but you were probably referring to the high and holy hail mary balls that the Kilkenny backs mopped up on and your spot on. Had their forwards clicked that day we were in for a trimming and yes your right that was Kilkenny at their lowest. So if we can beat Kilkenny arguably at their highest going for five in a row then why the hell cant we beat them at their lowest?

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

I think we can yield a bit of success out of football in this county but the catch-22 in terms of promotion of both at the moment is that we have a lot of lads who are fairly good at the two.

Funnily you mention the hurling clubs using football for fitness. Overheard a player from my own club Mullinahone tell someone that they would prefer to be senior football because schedule and preparation wise its better to them then intermediate in terms of preparing for the Senior hurling championship. Real sign of the times because they were a football stronghold for many years until John Leahy made the breakthrough.

Regarding the catch 22 situation , players have to be realistic , the current Tipp Hurling Squad , despite the bad results , it will be hard to break into the Squad , even if there was a change of Management ( which I doubt ) so lads should give the Football a go .

I found it strange that Mullinahone pulled out of the South Senior Football Championship last year . It was the week before they played and were beaten by Nenagh in the County SHC , being realistic , Mullinahone were never going to win the County SHC last year . Also that they looked to be relegated to Intermediate for this year considering the effort they put in 2011 to win the County Intermediate and regain Senior status under the guideance of the great Franny Kelly .

When you look at Kilcormac/K in the last 2 years winning the Offaly SHC and in the last 2 years winning the Offaly Junior and Intermediate Football Championships as well . I know they are looking forward to playing Senior Football this year !

Regarding the catch 22 situation , players have to be realistic , the current Tipp Hurling Squad , despite the bad results , it will be hard to break into the Squad , even if there was a change of Management ( which I doubt ) so lads should give the Football a go .

I found it strange that Mullinahone pulled out of the South Senior Football Championship last year . It was the week before they played and were beaten by Nenagh in the County SHC , being realistic , Mullinahone were never going to win the County SHC last year . Also that they looked to be relegated to Intermediate for this year considering the effort they put in 2011 to win the County Intermediate and regain Senior status under the guideance of the great Franny Kelly .

When you look at Kilcormac/K in the last 2 years winning the Offaly SHC and in the last 2 years winning the Offaly Junior and Intermediate Football Championships as well . I know they are looking forward to playing Senior Football this year !

Fair point. The comment i heard one of the players mention predates last year by a bit - circa 2010 or so perhaps even well before that.

Back to last year you might have a point but i suppose if there was more supporters from Mullinahone going to attend the hurling which id imagine there was, then they probably decided to concentrate on the hurling more. While they were hammered out the gate i suppose the club sees themselves more as a hurling club now. Football has become an afterthought almost. Personally we might be better opting to stay intermediate in football. Were sort of between two stools because we are good enough to win an intermediate county football and yet were third world in terms of Senior football. Far too small a squad and the same lads that are good at one are good at the other such as The Currans, Jack Shelly, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The Tipperary Senior Hurling to play Dublin in round 5 of the Allianz Hurling League at Semple Stadium on Sunday shows 4 changes from the team which lost to Galway last weekend. Darragh Egan replaces Darren Gleeson in goal while Conor O’Brien, Kieran Bergin and Jason Forde are introduced in place of Padraic Maher (injury), Conor Kenny (illness) and Michael Heffernan.

Tipperary (SH v Dublin) – Darragh Egan (Kildangan); Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh), Conor O’Mahony (Newport), Cathal Barrett (Holycross-Ballycahill); Conor O’Brien (Eire Og Annacarty), Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh – Captain), Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields); Kieran Bergin (Killenaule), Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch); John O’Dwyer (Killenaule), Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), James Woodlock (Drom & Inch); Jason Forde (Silvermines), Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch), Patrick Maher (Lorrha-Dorrha)

Bonner in the corner is madness - just naming him there I take it - Bubbles has to be closer to goals - robbing peter pay paul again - apart from our full back the backs very light - no height

new midfield again - back to MCGrath - who we know cannot mix it at midfield against the very best anymore

noelie at center....

Where is Paul Curran - Niall O'meara - why not try Denis Maher for a whole game -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The week has gone by so fast I forgot the team was been named tonight,Paudie out sick is the last thing we needed going in to a game as important as this.It's going to be tough but I hope we can get a much needed win.

Bonner in the corner is madness - just naming him there I take it - Bubbles has to be closer to goals - robbing peter pay paul again - apart from our full back the backs very light - no height

new midfield again - back to MCGrath - who we know cannot mix it at midfield against the very best anymore

noelie at center....

Where is Paul Curran - Niall O'meara - why not try Denis Maher for a whole game -
    Agree about Dennis Maher he should be getting a chance,I would love to see Curran back on the scene but as far as I know he has a long time injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

That's a terrible team selection tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 conor_db

I can see that forward line changing a lot through out the game. Bubbles will probably be in the corner with bonner out on the wing, callinan noel and bubbles will probably switch in and out aswel. I really think they should throw in dennis instead of woodlock on the wing at least give him a chance, but by the way its goin woodlock and keiran will be switched as well causing the midfield to be disrupted again. really think we should settle on 2 midfielders and let them the time to learn to play off eachother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Is Corbett injured or being rested til Championship ? Still fancy ye to beat us to be honest . Outside of Parnell we struggle and are very one dimensional

TheNap wrote: »
    Is Corbett injured or being rested til Championship ? Still fancy ye to beat us to be honest . Outside of Parnell we struggle and are very one dimensional

Have you seen us lately? We've been absolutely piss poor. Pure fúckin rancid. Ill hold my bets for now

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Premier View

Anybody seen Kieran McGeeney around the set up. I was amazed when he was asked to join the set up. O'Shea said he was a born winner, where exactly was that now. Not in Kildare, and if he is taking about Armagh, not sure they would be a template for winners either.
    Again it seemed a hopeful appointment, and it seems to be having the oppisite effect that the manager would have wanted.
    maybe i am wrong, but I have never seen Tipperary less motivated than this year. Normally we give the league a bit of a rattle.
    I am not saying McGeeney is in any way at fault, but he has added nothing to the party.

Anybody seen Kieran McGeeney around the set up. I was amazed when he was asked to join the set up. O'Shea said he was a born winner, where exactly was that now. Not in Kildare, and if he is taking about Armagh, not sure they would be a template for winners either.
    Again it seemed a hopeful appointment, and it seems to be having the oppisite effect that the manager would have wanted.
    maybe i am wrong, but I have never seen Tipperary less motivated than this year. Normally we give the league a bit of a rattle.
    I am not saying McGeeney is in any way at fault, but he has added nothing to the party.

Your right there. Were pissing money away at this stage. Like you id agree its not geezers fault but psychology probably isnt the most immediate issue with this team. Will we do a French rugby maybe and save our best til last?

*Frantically clutching at straws here* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Have you seen us lately? We've been absolutely piss poor. Pure fúckin rancid. Ill hold my bets for now

I have family in Tipp so would support them after Dublin , I've seen most of your games this year ... I really think O'Shea is disregarding the league and concentrating on May . The only problem I see is not having a full back at the moment . I'm surprised Bergin hasn't been tried there . I know he's been playing in the half forward line but I think he has the attributes to make a good full back

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Lads , what do ye think of the new Fixtures/Results section on the Tipp website ? I think it is all over the place and poorly run , preferred the old one .

Lads , what do ye think of the new Fixtures/Results section on the Tipp website ? I think it is all over the place and poorly run , preferred the old one .

I was no fan of the last one but this is an even further step down. Would be nice if the Tipp GAA archives could have a complete and up to date results database for every result involving Tipperary inter-county teams or clubs. Especially would like to see how the format has changed over the years for each competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Premier View

It seems to be the modern trend having a huge back room staff. I was reading John McIntyre in the Examiner, and he was saying that the problem was there was to many chiefs.
    I Think most of sport is attitude. The management is not inspiring confidence, the Players look nervous and edgy. We used to have a bit of a swagger about us, all good teams have that.
    I dont think I have ever seen a Tipp team so devoid of energy and aggression to be honest. Still as you say Tipp Gunner we have to hope,and the Rosary Beads are going to Semple Stadium tomorrow. One win can change a campaign, or a season, and build some momentum.
    Tommorow is huge for our season, a win would dispel some of that negativity. There is so much gloom about the way things are going.
    Our players and management were talking big at the start of the year,its time to deliver on those promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

speaking of fixtures... cahir u21's went out and bet kilsheelan yesterday in the south final throw in @4pm... the same cahir team are lining out in the county semi final today against upperchurch @4pm... player welfare? no.. player abuse..

• Advertisement

Kilkenny as I said - favourites along with Clare. Especially after today. They look scary again with Power back - Larkin and Hogan beginning to look trim. JJ back too.

How serious are the Cahill and Bonner Maher injuries?

So Cork next...I actually don't think going far in this league will help - We need to focus on that first championship game

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

For anyone who doesn't already know, Tipp match is being shown on TG4 at the minute

So Cork next...I actually don't think going far in this league will help - We need to focus on that first championship game

Id much prefer to finish top four, have the security of div 1A hurling next year, and get as much competitive games in as possible before the Limerick match rather then face a relegation dogfight down in Waterford where we could potentially relegate to 1b and lose next years competitive games.

With all due respect to 1B counties its much better to be playing Kilkenny and Clare next year then playing Laois and Wexford.

We're in bonus territory now. If we were out of the league we'd only be arranging challenges and the only reason the counties voted on the current format is to get as much competitive games as possible. Ideal situation really. Anything happens in the league now i dont give a sh*t as we're in 1A next year. That was number 1 objective.

As for the performance today i thought it was much improved and great to see the bit of fight there in order to get the seven point swing on Dublin. Though luckily Dublin didnt strike me as a team who were aware that all they needed was one more point in order to guarantee 1A hurling next year

The league is great for Kilkenny as the leinster championship starts later - Mid to late June before Kilkenny face meaningful opposition if they get it.

Great to be back to winning ways again today,might not have been the greatest of performances but by god it was badly needed,I would give credit to Noel Mc Grath for bringing us back into the game with a couple of great points in the 2nd half showing his best form in a while.Callinan was good again today and the bonner doing what he does best winning ball and running with it,I also think Egan is in for a run in goal after a couple of great saves.

tippspur wrote: »
    Great to be back to winning ways again today,might not have been the greatest of performances but by god it was badly needed,I would give credit to Noel Mc Grath for bringing us back into the game with a couple of great points in the 2nd half showing his best form in a while.Callinan was good again today and the bonner doing what he does best winning ball and running with it,I also think Egan is in for a run in goal after a couple of great saves.

I am very satisfied after today. Ill take a battling performance any day of the week and no one gets a battle out of you as much as Dublin rest assure. Cake walks only give us a sense of entitlement we dont deserve and serve no purpose.

Dublin to their credit are one of the contenders for this all ireland so any win over them is a huge boost. They have an unreal panel of players and i think they have the beatings of the Clare's and Kilkenny's of this world come summer time. I was shocked though they didnt take a score the closing seconds when it was on. Did they realise that it could have sent them into the quarters? Either way i think they will beat Waterford. Just as they stablise under one manager they oust him so its hard to be sympathetic for the Deise.

Really impressed with Noels application today. It was something his game had been really lacking since we won the all Ireland. O'Shea gave an interview on Tipp FM during the week and seemed to hint that he might need a more physical type of forward. Coupled with sweeping Noel off last Sunday at half time the penny might have finally dropped for some of our boys.

Callinan has been relatively decent all year and a free role similar to the one Lar assumes might suit him the finest.

One thing i noticed today though is that we really need to anticipate the breaking ball more but otherwise am delighted to be getting Cork next weekend. An ideal test whatever the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

speaking of fixtures... cahir u21's went out and bet kilsheelan yesterday in the south final throw in @4pm... the same cahir team are lining out in the county semi final today against upperchurch @4pm... player welfare? no.. player abuse..

Result of that was a draw after extra time a lot of football played over the weekend.

O'Shea has said Tipp will be without 7 of their championship team for the cork game

• Advertisement

O'Shea has said Tipp will be without 7 of their championship team for the cork game

Hmmm. Thats interesting and a great way of keeping the lads guessing. I notice he has been more hands on the last week.

Last week he took off Noel McGrath and during this week he implied on Tipp FM that the hurlers lack physicality but if they didnt learn how to be physical he had no problem looking elsewhere for players. Given that O'Riordan and co are on the horizon the penny must have finally dropped for the boys. Still raw in parts but a big big change in attitude today. Even had we ended up in bottom two id have fancied us for next week.

Advertisement