Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

We tend to focus on the negative too much but James Barry and Cathal Barrett have been two really good finds this year. Barrett is playing like an experienced senior. Bit more meat on him he'll be grand. Barry was fantastic when he came on today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Barry should have lots of confidence due to how he performs at college level. Captain as well. He was the best secondary school hurler I ever saw. Unbelievable center back at that age - reading of the game was brilliant. Then he had some very tough injuries over a few years. Hopefully he can get back on track - The worrying thing is....Padraic Maher was injured - o'shea brought in conor o'brien - then when cahill got injured he played Barry - why not give him a chance before this...

he said tipp missing seven for cork - is it lar, curran, padraic maher, cahill, bonner, woodlock (maybe?) Who else? Maybe he got his sums wrong but then again he is the head of the maths department in NUIG so hardly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We tend to focus on the negative too much but James Barry and Cathal Barrett have been two really good finds this year. Barrett is playing like an experienced senior. Bit more meat on him he'll be grand. Barry was fantastic when he came on today
    I agree TG but it's forwards we need,bubbles was bad today but I know he has it in him,Forde was poor again.last week we tried Kenny and Heffernan and both were taken off and not a score between them,today EOS picked Paddy Murphy again when woodlock cried off and he was hopeless again,no new forwards stepping up to the plate.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Was very impressed with James Barry I must say. Looked very dependable under the high ball and was willing to burst out once he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Thurles it is for the hurling.dublin.an Waterford in walsh park.clare an laois in.portlaoise

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    I agree TG but it's forwards we need,bubbles was bad today but I know he has it in him,Forde was poor again.last week we tried Kenny and Heffernan and both were taken off and not a score between them,today EOS picked Paddy Murphy again when woodlock cried off and he was hopeless again,no new forwards stepping up to the plate.:(

Your right there. Fear not though. Niall O'Meara, , and possibly the likes of Dylan Fitzelle and Colm O'Riordan could get a try out yet. We also have Stephen O'Brien, Mark McCarthy, Jack Shelley, and Colm Canning in the pipeline. A mate of mine told me Canning played really well in an u21 challenge against Kilkenny recently. And of course don't forget the shadow of Lar still looms around. I hope we'll see him at some stage. Give him the freedom of the 40 and he'll cause havoc. Great reader of the game

Noel played really well yesterday so we'd hope he'll have turned the corner at long last. Id thought id never see the day where Noel is forcing an opposition player to concede a sideline ball. Callanan may have also turned his own corner and matured and i think also that Bubbles will be good when it matters.

Forde and Murphy wont make it though. I thought Forde might have become a real asset but he just dont seem up to it. Murphy isnt good enough either. Has a poor touch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Your right there. Fear not though. Niall O'Meara, , and possibly the likes of Dylan Fitzelle and Colm O'Riordan could get a try out yet. We also have Stephen O'Brien, Mark McCarthy, Jack Shelley, and Colm Canning in the pipeline. A mate of mine told me Canning played really well in an u21 challenge against Kilkenny recently. And of course don't forget the shadow of Lar still looms around. I hope we'll see him at some stage. Give him the freedom of the 40 and he'll cause havoc. Great reader of the game

Noel played really well yesterday so we'd hope he'll have turned the corner at long last. Id thought id never see the day where Noel is forcing an opposition player to concede a sideline ball. Callanan may have also turned his own corner and matured and i think also that Bubbles will be good when it matters.

Forde and Murphy wont make it though. I thought Forde might have become a real asset but he just dont seem up to it. Murphy isnt good enough either. Has a poor touch
    If Forde and Murphy are not good enough and Colm Canning is then he must have improved a hell of a lot since I last saw him play. Canning has nothing of the intercounty pedigree of either Forde or Murphy and wouldn't have same level of club experience either event taking into account him playing for Toome.
    Forde is 20 years old and Murphy is 24. Quite difficult to say they wont make it. Forde will suffer from overhype and too much anticipation considering how he has been talked up since he was about 13/14 years of age but considering his performances all up the ranks I think he will do so at adult level as well
    A lot of those lads you name could be fine senior players but in a few years time. They are quite a bit off the pace now
    Hopefully Seamus has matured as he was a lazy but extremely talented player all at underage and in school but so often never showed his real potential but he has been much better recently

If Forde and Murphy are not good enough and Colm Canning is then he must have improved a hell of a lot since I last saw him play. Canning has nothing of the intercounty pedigree of either Forde or Murphy and wouldn't have same level of club experience either event taking into account him playing for Toome.
    Forde is 20 years old and Murphy is 24. Quite difficult to say they wont make it. Forde will suffer from overhype and too much anticipation considering how he has been talked up since he was about 13/14 years of age but considering his performances all up the ranks I think he will do so at adult level as well
    A lot of those lads you name could be fine senior players but in a few years time. They are quite a bit off the pace now
    Hopefully Seamus has matured as he was a lazy but extremely talented player all at underage and in school but so often never showed his real potential but he has been much better recently

Well your from North Tipp so you'd know better then me tbf to you. i also thought Buggy O'Meara was that strong full forward we were crying out for first time i seen him and it didnt prove the case really so time will tell. The KK full back in that challenge may not have been up to much either.

No doubt Forde has the stick work but he is not showing any of the dynamism and leadership at the moment that he did at underage. It could be a matter of finding his feet but he needs to step it up a notch or two or his career could pass him by. He also lacks pace. Paddy does alot of good things. Yesterday he ran all the way back to the half back line to receive a pass but undone all his work when the poor diagonal ball he played towards the wing forward didn't even pass the first man. Now it could be just nerves but he has been relatively poor during this league campaign. The stick he gets from the stand is totally uncalled for but I cant see him making too much of a dramatic improvement.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

speaking of fixtures... cahir u21's went out and bet kilsheelan yesterday in the south final throw in @4pm... the same cahir team are lining out in the county semi final today against upperchurch @4pm... player welfare? no.. player abuse..

According to the South Board Chairman Joe Brennan on Tipp FM tonight , the fixture was meant to be played on the Friday night but THE 2 CLUBS involved wanted it played on Saturday knowing that the winner would have to play again the next day :rolleyes: .
    Good discussion on Tipp FM involving Walty and Joe Hannigan about the fixtures situation . The whole thing is bizarre considering the Final won`t be played until the beginning of May !

Far too many dismissals of young players trying to learn their trade at senior inter county. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't mind if these players had got championship experience and a couple of chances at championship. I know guys are expressing an opinion and judgment. But then they call call for lads that are fresh out of minor or still under 21 to be included...mind boggling really. I mentioned the tough time Lar had starting out before but also another guy would be Declan Fanning who took a couple of years to get to grips with it, after a late start in intercounty hurling, and played plenty of championship years before he came good. Not to mention Conor O'Mahony had a very up and down first two years and John O'Brien had a long apprenticeship. All had their detractors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

According to the South Board Chairman Joe Brennan on Tipp FM tonight , the fixture was meant to be played on the Friday night but THE 2 CLUBS involved wanted it played on Saturday knowing that the winner would have to play again the next day :rolleyes: .
    Good discussion on Tipp FM involving Walty and Joe Hannigan about the fixtures situation . The whole thing is bizarre considering the Final won`t be played until the beginning of May !

Even the fact that a county semi was fixed for two days after a south final is ridiculous.. how can someone defend that... "ah they'll be grand after 48 hours, young men like them"

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Even the fact that a county semi was fixed for two days after a south final is ridiculous.. how can someone defend that... "ah they'll be grand after 48 hours, young men like them"

And Bill Maher and Liam Casey out with the County Under 21`s on Wednesday as well . As I said the Final won`t be played until the beginning of May .
    It gets worse , the North B competition is at the Semi Final stage and even though the Final isn`t until the beginning of May , because they haven`t played of the North Competition before last weekend there will be no North Team in the County Semi :confused: !

It took Tommy Dunne three years to get to grips with inter county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

What are people's thoughts on some of the uninjured players we have not seen yet this year? Namely Corbett and John O'Brien. Are these players going to make an appearance at all during the league if Tipp proceed to later stages? Are they being kept for Championship? Or could there be some retirements lurking in the background?

Corbett definitely still has something to offer, watching him skin Paul Murphy (one of the best backs in the country at present) a couple of times last year in Nowlan Park before he was forced off with injury was a delight to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Comordha wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on some of the uninjured players we have not seen yet this year? Namely Corbett and John O'Brien. Are these players going to make an appearance at all during the league if Tipp proceed to later stages? Are they being kept for Championship? Or could there be some retirements lurking in the background?

Corbett definitely still has something to offer, watching him skin Paul Murphy (one of the best backs in the country at present) a couple of times last year in Nowlan Park before he was forced off with injury was a delight to watch.

John O'brien trained Tuesday night and is back in the squad. Lar is due to return next week.
    Long evenings are almost in so expect a few of the lads to start returning.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I take it that means John O' Brien is on board for the season. One poster some pages back was unsure if he was staying on the panel. Good to have him around. He was one of our few good players against Limerick last season IIRC and can win ball. I also imagine he can provide leadership among the forwards.

I thought he was gone - a lot of these players have had their foot to the floor for a long time - best thing for them is to have a break - hopefully they can refuel and find the necessary hunger

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Tipperary on Sunday at 3.45pm in Thurles will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    2. Damien Cahalane (St. Finbarr's)
    3. Eoin Keane (St. Finbarr's)
    4. Killian Burke (Midleton)
    5. Lorcán Mc Loughlin (Kanturk)
    6. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    7. William Egan (Kilbrin)
    8. Daniel Kearney (Sarsfields)
    9. Paul Haughney (Midleton)
    10. Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr)
    11. Seamus Harnedy (St. Ita’s)
    12. Patrick Cronin (Bishopstown - Captain)
    13. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)
    14. Conor Lehane (Midleton)
    15. Jamie Coughlan (Newtownshandrum)

Subs
    16. Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle)
    17. Colm Spillane (Castlelyons)
    18. Stephen White (Ballygarvan)
    19. Mark Ellis (Millstreet)
    20. Rob O’Shea (Carrigaline)
    21. Michael O’Sullivan (Tracton)
    22. Brian Hartnett (Midleton)
    23. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    24. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
    25. Cormac Murphy (Mallow)
    There are six changes to the team for Sunday’s quarter-final. Damien Cahalane gets a first Senior Hurling start of the season at corner back, as does Midleton’s Killian Burke in the other corner, replacing the injured Kilian Murphy and Shane O'Neill. Eoin Keane comes in at full back in place of Stephen McDonnell who has work commitments abroad. William Egan returns to the side in place of Stephen White, while Paul Haughney starts at mid-field with Pa Cronin moving to wing forward. With Stephen Moylan out injured, Jamie Coughlan comes in at corner forward, and Brian Hartnett is on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Paul Curran supposed to on the way back soon also after a hip operation.

Hope that shoulder injury isn't too serious:

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=212815

I guess O'Brien was the seventh member of the Championship team...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hope that shoulder injury isn't too serious:

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tipperary/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=212815

I guess O'Brien was the seventh member of the Championship team...

damaged the colarbone and was advised to rest for 3 weeks, nothing too serious, Gar Ryan has rejoined the panel aswell following a long term injury.

Love to see Gar Ryan get right and back to his best....

The development of that superb under 21 team has been hampered by the loss of the two hard men who had immense work rates - Hennessy and Ryan - hopefully Ryan does not suffer the same fate as Hennessy- a huge loss to Tipp hurling

Love to see Gar Ryan get right and back to his best....

The development of that superb under 21 team has been hampered by the loss of the two hard men who had immense work rates - Hennessy and Ryan - hopefully Ryan does not suffer the same fate as Hennessy- a huge loss to Tipp hurling

Gar Ryan wasn't part of the u21 team in 2010, he is a year older than that.

He had a lot of underage success - must have won two minor All-Irelands?

He had a lot of underage success - must have won two minor All-Irelands?

Just the one, he was part of the 2006 team that stoped Joe Cannings bid for 3 in a row.

You're right:

Gearoid was born on August 26th, 1988. Gearoid plays for the Templederry Kenyons club. Gearoid made his National Hurling League debut against Cork in February 2009, scoring a point from play. Gearoid won an All-Ireland Minor Hurling medal with Tipperary in 2006, lining out at midfield in the final. Gearoid was also on the Tipperary Intermediate Hurling panel in 2007 and 2008 Gearoid was part of the Tipperary Under 21 Hurling panel in 2007, 2008 and 2009, winning a Munster medal in 2008. Gearoid made his Championship debut as a substitute against Cork in the 2009 Munster Senior Hurling Championship. Gearoid has won 3 Munster Senior Hurling medals. Gearoid Ryan won the man of the match award in the 2010 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final against Galway, scoring 1-2 from play. Gearoid played wing-forward on the Tipperary team which captured the 2010 All-Ireland Senior Hurling title, scoring a point in the final. Gearoid was nominated for an All-Star award in 2010 in the half-forward line and in 2011 at midfield. Gearoid lined out at wing-forward for the Munster hurlers in the 2012 Inter-Provincial competition.

Tipperary (SH v Cork) – Darragh Egan (Kildangan); Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh), Conor O’Mahony (Newport), Conor O’Brien (Eire Og Annacarty / Donohill); James Barry (Upperchurch-Drombane), Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh), Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch); Kieran Bergin (Killenaule), James Woodlock (Drom & Inch); Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney), John O’Dwyer (Killenaule); Shane Bourke (JK Brackens), Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch), Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Good to see Niall O' Meara start but is corner forward the best place for him? I imagine he could come out to half forward - possible switch with Denis Maher? Is that his usual position?

Cork have a new full back line so that area could be exposed.

Advertisement