Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

Good to see Niall O' Meara start but is corner forward the best place for him? I imagine he could come out to half forward - possible switch with Denis Maher? Is that his usual position?

Cork have a new full back line so that area could be exposed.

Yeah i think NOM will go wing forward and Denis Maher will go corner or maybe Noel. Looking forward to seeing how Bill and James Barry will get on. Barry has been playing with unbelievable confidence this year for UCC and gave a tour de force when he came on last week.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

The Tipperary SF Team to play Leitrim :

1 Paul Fitzgearld
    2 Ger Mulhair
    3 Paddy Codd (Captain)
    4 John Coghlan
    5 Robbie Kiely
    6 Peter Acheson
    7 Donagh Leahy
    8 Steven O Brien
    9 George Hannigan
    10 Philip Austin
    11 Barry Grogan
    12 Ian Fahey
    13 Brian Fox
    14 Michael Quinlivan
    15 Conor Sweeney.

O.k . Same team from the last day v Antrim even though Barry Grogan is in Australia for his brothers wedding :confused: . Anyway , best of luck to the lads , I will be there along with a Bus load of die hards . Win tomorrow and we are up !

The Tipperary SF Team to play Leitrim :

1 Paul Fitzgearld
    2 Ger Mulhair
    3 Paddy Codd (Captain)
    4 John Coghlan
    5 Robbie Kiely
    6 Peter Acheson
    7 Donagh Leahy
    8 Steven O Brien
    9 George Hannigan
    10 Philip Austin
    11 Barry Grogan
    12 Ian Fahey
    13 Brian Fox
    14 Michael Quinlivan
    15 Conor Sweeney.

O.k . Same team from the last day v Antrim even though Barry Grogan is in Australia for his brothers wedding :confused: . Anyway , best of luck to the lads , I will be there along with a Bus load of die hards . Win tomorrow and we are up !

Like Sheldon in that episode of the big bang theory he might be there as a virtual presence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Anyway , best of luck to the lads , I will be there along with a Bus load of die hards . Win tomorrow and we are up !

Well done Brave Hearts, hope plenty of "Slievenamon" and good craic all the way and for our away games and next year we will need a few more buses!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great start for the footballers, 1.1 to no score so far 8 minutes gone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

5-11 (26) to 0-13 (13) in favour of Tipperary so far. Brilliant.

Conor Sweeney with two goals. Ian Fahey, Philip Austin, Brian Fox all with one goal each.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

That was a great win for the footballers Hopfully the hurlers follow suit MON DA PREMIER!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Ridiculously open game - very enjoyable - lot of experience being gained for the newer lads - poor jason forde is zapped of all confidence - he'll come good though

Good win for the hurlers, 3:25 to 4:19

Got off to a great to a great start but failed to capitalise and let Cork back into the game.

Another 4 goals conceded. For me curran will have to start against Limerick even if we have to push him out in a wheelchair. Darragh Egan didn't do himself any favours in the goals and was at fault for at least 2 goals.
    Stand out performers for me were bubbles, noel and callinan in the forwards, woodlock worked hard in midfield while brendan maher, James Barry and conor o'brien were the pick of the backs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Ya Thought barry played Very well good find he is.jason forde does seem.short of confidence Not much went right for him when.he came on.noel mcgrath put in a good shift an seamie played well.when.he was ff.gleeson.is defo a better keeper imo egan has Very poor distribution doesn't seem to have the confidence to try it that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good day all round for Tipp fans.very loose game of hurling but enjoyable,well done to the new lads Niall O Meara and Dennis Maher both played well and Shane Burke got a couple of fine points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

5-11 (26) to 0-13 (13) in favour of Tipperary so far. Brilliant.

Conor Sweeney with two goals. Ian Fahey, Philip Austin, Brian Fox all with one goal each.
    We're Tipps goals due to good forward play or bad defending?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Hard to know what to make of today's game to be honest.
    And very well done to the footballers.

Ompala wrote: »
    And very well done to the footballers.

So Tipperary Footballers outscored every team in any division and will top the table.

So next year let's move up another division playing all our home games in Semple Stadium. No more talk from hurling folk about not it not being viable to open the Stadium for the footballers. No harm to put on record how many Tipp hurling folk left the stadium before the football game against Clare. Dyed in the wool hurling supporters can stay away from the football games if they wish, that's their perogative, just give the stadium to the football team and they will do the business. I am aware that this post will be divisive but the time comes when you "must tell it as it is".

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Just in from Carrick on Shannon , great day . Decent Tipp support there . Forwards were brilliant , Conor Sweeney with 2-7 . We won at a canter for a finish , the difference in class was evident . Tipp should be well able for Division 3 next year . Alan Maloney got a run with 20 minutes to go and didn`t look sharp but good to see him back and when fully fit we will have some amount of quality finishers . Michael Quinlivan was moved out to midfield in the second half as was done against Clare and I feel that this is his best position . Really Looking forward to Limerick and the Championship now .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭swoofer

Is it just me or was that ref for the tipp hurling game pretty poor? I watched on tv.

And I am sure that goalkeeper taking the penalties was fouling the ball, ie throwing it with the hurley. A free is lift ball and strike. Look at callinan or others .

but a great win and I would have been gutted if we lost. That first cork penalty was a joke. A s for John O' Dwyer = awesome.

Next its Clare and that will be a corker. soory

Very good performance today. For the first time in this league our attack looked lethal for all of 70. Denis Maher and Niall O'Meara were a real tonic and at the real right time. They can only help not only the team but competition for places. O'Meara will be a huge player for Tipp in the coming years. He has all the attributes. I would hope the county are looking at Niall as the type of player that we need to be producing if we are to compete with the likes of Kilkenny, Dublin, and Clare. He is versatile, physical, and very skillful and proved that his reaction is very quick when he scored his goal.
    Noel and Seamie are playing like born again hurlers. Cant help thinking the bit of O'Shea psychology might have dropped the penny for them at long last.

In terms of bench options the lack of strength in depth may catch us out but hopefully we're on the road to recovery at last. I had a feeling this team were only competing at 30% of what they were truly capable of and i think they can only get better.

Well done to the footballers today on a wonderful performance up in Leitrim and credit to those who travelled up. Fair deuce ye're true blues (and golds).

HON THE PREMIER!!!!

swoofer wrote: »
    Is it just me or was that ref for the tipp hurling game pretty poor? I watched on tv.

And I am sure that goalkeeper taking the penalties was fouling the ball, ie throwing it with the hurley. A free is lift ball and strike. Look at callinan or others .

but a great win and I would have been gutted if we lost. That first cork penalty was a joke. A s for John O' Dwyer = awesome.

Next its Clare and that will be a corker. soory

The Nash 21 is an amazing bit of skill but i just think a 21 should be taken from the 21 yard line and not the 14 yard line. If he is allowed steal a few yards then surely the opposition backs should also be allowed the same privileges from the line?

I thought Egan had a poor game between the sticks. Cummins was agile as a cat even at 39 but Egan didnt even react to one or two of those shots. He conceded a penalty and made a cock up for the fourth goal when we looked to be nearly home and dry.

We've seen this before exciting wins and putting up high scores in the league. Hopefully it transfers to championship - Hopefully this time - it is a case of younger players playing themselves into the championship team and producing in championship. Or the extra competition causes players in possession of championship starts onto greater work-rate and performances due to the competition in the squad.

Eoin kelly really struggled to get on the ball when he came on...

Brendan Maher really dropped deep and protected the full back line - got a super point.

I really liked James Barry's distribution into the forwards when he was at wing back - very good.

Hopefully Seamus and Bourke can carry that form and work-rate of running into the championship.

Electric from O'Dwyer.

Egan was poor - he is no where that bad - just goes to show what pressure does sometimes - Glesson will get a chance now again I'd imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I couldn't see the need in replacing 4 of the forwards who had all scored as we were running up a cricket score at the time.:confused: None of the replacements helped things and this could have cost us the game.It was at the other end that a few changes might have been more warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

The Nash 21 is an amazing bit of skill but i just think a 21 should be taken from the 21 yard line and not the 14 yard line. If he is allowed steal a few yards then surely the opposition backs should also be allowed the same privileges from the line?

I thought Egan had a poor game between the sticks. Cummins was agile as a cat even at 39 but Egan didnt even react to one or two of those shots. He conceded a penalty and made a cock up for the fourth goal when we looked to be nearly home and dry.

As soon as a player touches the sliotar the free is taken so the players should be able to charge down the free, they would have to run 7-10 yards and on nash before he strikes.

We didn't have any problem with those penalties when declan Ryan was hitting the back of the net.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

mags85 wrote: »
    As soon as a player touches the sliotar the free is taken so the players should be able to charge down the free, they would have to run 7-10 yards and on nash before he strikes.

Totally agree with this though werent Clare apprehended in the AI final from doing it if i recall? Bizarre really.

We didn't have any problem with those penalties when declan Ryan was hitting the back of the net.

Nash is right to play to the rules but was Declan Ryan stealing 7 yards and hitting them at that type of ferocious power? A 21 is a 21 at the end of the day

As i said great bit of skill but if a striker is allowed steal 7 yards then so should the defenders as Mags said. Sauce for the goose and all that.

Nash is right to play to the rules but was Declan Ryan stealing 7 yards and hitting them at that type of ferocious power? A 21 is a 21 at the end of the day

As i said great bit of skill but if a striker is allowed steal 7 yards then so should the defenders as Mags said. Sauce for the goose and all that.

Declan Ryan wasn't hitting them as good as Nash but he was definitely stealing yards.

Personally I think the who penalty needs to be looked at.

I mean If the forward goes around the goalkeeper and has a tap in but then the goalkeeper brings him down, instead of having a tap in the forward now needs to beat 3 players from 21 metres. I find that a little unfair.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We've seen this before exciting wins and putting up high scores in the league. Hopefully it transfers to championship - Hopefully this time - it is a case of younger players playing themselves into the championship team and producing in championship. Or the extra competition causes players in possession of championship starts onto greater work-rate and performances due to the competition in the squad.

Eoin kelly really struggled to get on the ball when he came on...

Brendan Maher really dropped deep and protected the full back line - got a super point.

I really liked James Barry's distribution into the forwards when he was at wing back - very good.

Hopefully Seamus and Bourke can carry that form and work-rate of running into the championship.

Electric from O'Dwyer.

Egan was poor - he is no where that bad - just goes to show what pressure does sometimes - Glesson will get a chance now again I'd imagine...

Funny you mention that because i was just wondering is there similarities with Dublin in that when Cluxton was sent off then all of a sudden you had a goalkeeper on with little senior experience in at the deep end in Croker.

Egan is a better goalkeeper then he showed yesterday and was excellent for the intermediates last year and id agree he probably needs more games in the league next year along with both Gleeson and Logue. The deputies might be suffering from lack of experience because Cummins was just so ridiculously good for so long. That said i think the current goalies have better puck out distribution. For me, Cummins needed to vary it slightly more.

mags85 wrote: »

A very good point indeed, in fact a player could be on top of him before he gets a second touch, just worried a little about the safety concerns of the onrushing player.

hawkwing wrote: »
    I couldn't see the need in replacing 4 of the forwards who had all scored as we were running up a cricket score at the time.:confused: None of the replacements helped things and this could have cost us the game.It was at the other end that a few changes might have been more warranted.

Unless the forwards were spent. Personally i would have left both Denis Maher and Niall O'Meara on anyway. Didnt see the sense in bringing on Eoin or JOB. The team needed to maintain the pace of their attack.

O'Shea has definitely learned from last year especially about not showing your hand (hopefully):

http://www.newstalk.ie/AUDIO:-Tipp-boss-Eamon-OShea-on-beating-Cork-and-their-evolution-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

Great win for Tipp yesterday and a very entertaining game. This will be a tonic for the team and management who had supporters on their back the week before last. Competitive games are the best way to improve a team so here's hoping we can get one over on the Banner in 3 weeks and reach a league final. I thought the forwards did very well, there was the right balance of grafters and finishers. Denis Maher worked very hard and uses his size and strength well. Callanan's workrate has come on a ton during the league and it was good that he continued to work hard after hitting three wides late in the first half; on other occasions his head might have dropped and he would have been called ashore, but he kept plugging away and scored more in the second half. Bubbles is a natural forward, he can find space and is very accurate. It was great to see Noel McGrath and Brendan Maher back to their best. Along with Padraig Maher, these lads will be the ones to lead this team in the months ahead. Noel showed some terrific vision and grafted hard when the game was in the balance. Brendan Maher's point in the second half was pure inspiration. We have the hurlers in Tipp and as long as they apply themselves and work hard they will be contenders in 2014.

Advertisement