Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Are there any players in particular that people would like to see get a game before championship is all that is left?

Are there any players in particular that people would like to see get a game before championship is all that is left?

John Meagher if possible and it would be great if O'Shea could have a proper look at David Collins from Drom. Thought he was excellent for the u21s down in leeside in 2012 and said to have been doing very well in both training and the challenges early on in the year. Im not saying he is the second coming, but h definitely deserves a look.

I have a feeling we could see retirements or perhaps even cuts yet so there could be vacancies on the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What's the story with Paul Curran lads?

Red Crow wrote: »
    What's the story with Paul Curran lads?

Recovering from a hip operation i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Conor O'Brien is playing well this year too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Comordha wrote: »
    Conor O'Brien is playing well this year too

O'Brien always seems to have a good league, it's the championship in the summer where he tends to get found out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

John Meagher if possible and it would be great if O'Shea could have a proper look at David Collins from Drom. Thought he was excellent for the u21s down in leeside in 2012 and said to have been doing very well in both training and the challenges early on in the year. Im not saying he is the second coming, but h definitely deserves a look.

I have a feeling we could see retirements or perhaps even cuts yet so there could be vacancies on the panel.

John Meagher is not involved and wont be untill the u21 Football campaign is over, David Collins was let go from the panel roughly 3-4 weeks ago.

Seamus Kennedy and Michael Breen look the most likely of those that havent seen gametime as of yet.

John Meagher is not involved and wont be untill the u21 Football campaign is over, David Collins was let go from the panel roughly 3-4 weeks ago.

Seamus Kennedy and Michael Breen look the most likely of those that havent seen gametime as of yet.

I heard that Collins had been dropped and there was apparently a bit of surprise amongst the panel about it too but sure i suppose thats just rumours. Still hope he gets another crack at it because he looks to have a bit of potential from what i can see. He is a tough forward who is well able to win his own ball and thats what we have been lacking all along.

Meagher probably wont see the league but may championship action yet which wouldnt surprise me.
    I would have thought Kennedy would be in the same boat as Meagher at the moment no? Breen was mentioned by O'Shea in that newstalk aftermatch interview alright. To be honest id totally forgotten about Breen. Was very good for the u21s last year and could well make an appearance yet. Andrew Ryan was another man who had a good partnership and understanding with both Barrett and Breen last year. Would you think he could be an option to draft in for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I heard that Collins had been dropped and there was apparently a bit of surprise amongst the panel about it too but sure i suppose thats just rumours. Still hope he gets another crack at it because he looks to have a bit of potential from what i can see. He is a tough forward who is well able to win his own ball and thats what we have been lacking all along.

Meagher probably wont see the league but may championship action yet which wouldnt surprise me.
    I would have thought Kennedy would be in the same boat as Meagher at the moment no? Breen was mentioned by O'Shea in that newstalk aftermatch interview alright. To be honest id totally forgotten about Breen. Was very good for the u21s last year and could well make an appearance yet. Andrew Ryan was another man who had a good partnership and understanding with both Barrett and Breen last year. Would you think he could be an option to draft in for the future?
    Surprised Dave's gone from squad. He'll get another shot, he doesn't mind winning ball dirty if he has to to get scores.
    When you say Andrew Ryan to draft into the squad?? Do you mean "Locke" Ryan from Toome or am I naming another Andrew Ryan

Surprised Dave's gone from squad. He'll get another shot, he doesn't mind winning ball dirty if he has to to get scores.
    When you say Andrew Ryan to draft into the squad?? Do you mean "Locke" Ryan from Toome or am I naming another Andrew Ryan

Yeah Andrew from Toomevara that was u21 the last two years? Played at full back. Not sure about his nickname. Think he has a brother that was minor last year or something.

• Advertisement

Was talking to two members of the panel recently and another who was on the extended panel, and they were all shocked that Collins was let go, and all felt he was a real dark horse for the championship 15, I have heard since that it was not for hurling reasons, but that could be just idle gossip, I have nothing to back it up.

Meagher is an extreme talent but he has been very unfortunate with injuries and seems very prone to set backs, I think he was right to concentrate on one code, and even at that I have heard he is only 50/50 for the Munster Final, with the re-occurence of a quad injury.

Seamus Kennedy was togged out in Salthill for the league game anyway, I didnt really notice at other games and he played a massive part in pre season friendlies and teh Waterford Crystal, he never excluded himself like Meagher, but yes Im sure for the moment Football is been given precedence.

I like Andrew Ryan as a hurler and he has a physical no non-sense type of game, but the one concern I would have for him at this level is a lack of pace, which is unfortunately one thing you can't train!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Overall league top scorers :

Conor Sweeney, Tipperary 5-36 (51)
    Mark Lynch, Derry 2-33 (39)
    Sean McCormack, Longford 2-30 (36)
    Donal O'Hare, Down 1-32 (35)
    James O'Donoghue, Kerry 5-20 (35)
    Emlyn Mulligan, Leitrim 1-32 (35)
    Conor McManus, Monaghan 0-34 (34)
    Adrian Marren, Sligo 0-34 (34)
    Barry Grogan, Tipperary 5-19 (34)

Conor`s well out in front , Barry slipped from 2nd to 9th due to missing the Leitrim game . I still can`t get over how much Conor has improved this year .

Overall league top scorers :

Conor Sweeney, Tipperary 5-36 (51)
    Mark Lynch, Derry 2-33 (39)
    Sean McCormack, Longford 2-30 (36)
    Donal O'Hare, Down 1-32 (35)
    James O'Donoghue, Kerry 5-20 (35)
    Emlyn Mulligan, Leitrim 1-32 (35)
    Conor McManus, Monaghan 0-34 (34)
    Adrian Marren, Sligo 0-34 (34)
    Barry Grogan, Tipperary 5-19 (34)

Conor`s well out in front , Barry slipped from 2nd to 9th due to missing the Leitrim game . I still can`t get over how much Conor has improved this year .

Will Tipp put out a second string on Sunday given that promotion is already sealed and they will probably want their top players fit for the league final?

Will Tipp put out a second string on Sunday given that promotion is already sealed and they will probably want their top players fit for the league final?

Michael Quinlivan and any other U21 player that would have been playing will/should certainly be rested but I cant see a complete new team, the team has seriuos momentum built up and it would be important to enter the league final with that positivity, so I would say a few fringe players may start but nothing too wholesale and maybe introduce a few more in the course of the game.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Michael Quinlivan and any other U21 player that would have been playing will/should certainly be rested but I cant see a complete new team, the team has seriuos momentum built up and it would be important to enter the league final with that positivity, so I would say a few fringe players may start but nothing too wholesale and maybe introduce a few more in the course of the game.

The Under 21s will be missing , Joe Hannigan was going nuts last Sunday that they weren`t taken of sooner and that Quinlivan played the full 70 minutes . Alan Maloney should start and Ciaran McDonald , one of the top defenders in the Country when fit , will probably play at some stage , returning after an injury that nearly ended his Footballing career . Conal McCullagh will probably start also , so far hasn`t lived up to expectation , having played Minor and Under 21 for Tyrone .

The Under 21s will be missing , Joe Hannigan was going nuts last Sunday that they weren`t taken of sooner and that Quinlivan played the full 70 minutes . Alan Maloney should start and Ciaran McDonald , one of the top defenders in the Country when fit , will probably play at some stage , returning after an injury that nearly ended his Footballing career . Conal McCullagh will probably start also , so far hasn`t lived up to expectation , having played Minor and Under 21 for Tyrone .

McCullough might need the next year to get settled in I suppose. On top of that id imagine seeing a lad from a perceived strong footballing county suddenly competing for their place might have acted as a driver for the rest of the lads in particular when you see how Sweeney and Grogan are performing. Grogan has gained a new lease of life and certainly caused hell for Clare the day i seen him while Sweeney is almost a football version of Seamie Callanan/Noel Mcgrath the way he has suddenly decided to take charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Watched the Cork - Tipperary game again. There was some really lovely passages of play in it e.g the build-up to Niall O' Meara's goal. The connection between Noel and Bubbles was brilliant.

Brendan Maher was absolutely imperious. I'm not sure if it's because he spent some of the game in sweeper-mode and sweepers become famous for the seventy minutes they're active: Durkin vs. Waterford last week, Palmer for Laois this season, Pat Donnellan for Clare last year but Maher was solid. Great hands, vision, toughness and eye for points - his point last Sunday was fantastic. Maher is brilliant the way he can play positions 5 to 11 and could probably go into the full back and forward lines too!

James Barry looks good at wing back or half back, what you want to call it. Is it me or are they're a distinct lack of good number fives in the country? Brendan Bugler is excellent there and Brian Murphy has retired. Any others? It'd be great if Barry developed into half back. We've seen the position in a state of flux in recent years. Shane McGrath has played there, Conor O' Brien and Tom Stapleton too as well as Bergin and B. Maher last season. Barry is strong, physical and smart. The latter came out in some decent distribution and one play in particular where I think James Woodlock (who is hurling well himself) was in a melee looking for the ball. Instead of wading in to get it, Barry remained outside and stayed in support. Woodlock passed him the ball and Barry brought it out. I like seeing smart play like that.

Niall O' Meara had quite the debut. Superb instincts for the goal strike. He set up some points too with smart passing. Speaking of, the interplay was fantastic on some occassions. They got the ball and looked around for someone to lay it off to or set another up. While it requires skill and coordination when worked correctly, it's infinitely better than bombing relentlessly it down the field. I hope we can carry some of the play going forward and into the championship.

John O' Dwyer makes it look too easy, I think that's one of the highest compliments you can pay a player. Noel McGrath was also very good along with Seamie. I hope they bring this battling form into June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Watched the Cork - Tipperary game again. There was some really lovely passages of play in it e.g the build-up to Niall O' Meara's goal. The connection between Noel and Bubbles was brilliant.

Brendan Maher was absolutely imperious. I'm not sure if it's because he spent some of the game in sweeper-mode and sweepers become famous for the seventy minutes they're active: Durkin vs. Waterford last week, Palmer for Laois this season, Pat Donnellan for Clare last year but Maher was solid. Great hands, vision, toughness and eye for points - his point last Sunday was fantastic. Maher is brilliant the way he can play positions 5 to 11 and could probably go into the full back and forward lines too!

James Barry looks good at wing back or half back, what you want to call it. Is it me or are they're a distinct lack of good number fives in the country? Brendan Bugler is excellent there and Brian Murphy has retired. Any others? It'd be great if Barry developed into half back. We've seen the position in a state of flux in recent years. Shane McGrath has played there, Conor O' Brien and Tom Stapleton too as well as Bergin and B. Maher last season. Barry is strong, physical and smart. The latter came out in some decent distribution and one play in particular where I think James Woodlock (who is hurling well himself) was in a melee looking for the ball. Instead of wading in to get it, Barry remained outside and stayed in support. Woodlock passed him the ball and Barry brought it out. I like seeing smart play like that.

Niall O' Meara had quite the debut. Superb instincts for the goal strike. He set up some points too with smart passing. Speaking of, the interplay was fantastic on some occassions. They got the ball and looked around for someone to lay it off to or set another up. While it requires skill and coordination when worked correctly, it's infinitely better than bombing relentlessly it down the field. I hope we can carry some of the play going forward and into the championship.

John O' Dwyer makes it look too easy, I think that's one of the highest compliments you can pay a player. Noel McGrath was also very good along with Seamie. I hope they bring this battling form into June.

Nice post Brendan (you're coddin no one!) :-)

Well done Roscrea Community College on winning the All Ireland Post Primary Schools B Final today.

GerB40 wrote: »
    Nice post Brendan (you're coddin no one!) :-)

You got me, Ger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i hope ye have yer strongest team possible out today for the football we might need the favor yet :pac:

i hope ye have yer strongest team possible out today for the football we might need the favor yet :pac:

Clare up three points to nil after 27 minutes plus over nine wides...shocking!

Clare up three points to nil after 27 minutes plus over nine wides...shocking!

it sounds like awful stuff up there and the fact that wicklow are starting to get back into it in semple is doing my nerves no good

it sounds like awful stuff up there and the fact that wicklow are starting to get back into it in semple is doing my nerves no good

Jesus beaten by 2 sorry about that. :o
    I hope Clare won.

EDIT: I see they did...congrats

Jesus beaten by 2 sorry about that. :o
    I hope Clare won.

:eek:.........i was shocked when i heard the final score last time i checked tipp were up by 7 halfway through the second half and the wicklow full back had been sent off

thankfuly we won comfortably enough in the end , croke park it is in 3 weeks time for what will only be a marquee game the important stuff is out of the way but i still would expect ye to win it

:eek:.........i was shocked when i heard the final score last time i checked tipp were up by 7 halfway through the second half and the wicklow full back had been sent off

thankfuly we won comfortably enough in the end , croke park it is in 3 weeks time for what will only be a marquee game the important stuff is out of the way but i still would expect ye to win it

Ah its a great chance for the lads to play in Croker that may never get a chance too unlike their hurling counterparts....plus a piece of silverware on offer too. We didnt beat ye by much in Semple so id imagine it will be a tough encounter. Anyone's game really. Still though number one objective has been achieved for both sides.

Jesus, Tipp threw that away. Three goals in the final few minutes.

Jesus, Tipp threw that away. Three goals in the final few minutes.

Bit careless to be honest. Hope complacency isnt setting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

3 goals conceded in 101 seconds. Would have been nice odds on that in the inplay market.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

3 goals conceded in 101 seconds. Would have been nice odds on that in the inplay market.

Where is Ray Winstone popping up on a big screen in Semple Stadium when you need him eh! :P

Advertisement