Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Look at the positives as far as underage football is concerned Tipperary are second best in Munster..........to score....3.08 against Cork tells it's own story.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Xenophile wrote: »
    Look at the positives as far as underage football is concerned Tipperary are second best in Munster..........to score....3.08 against Cork tells it's own story.

Yep, sounds like a great effort. Could be a very good Cork side.
    Cadogan ran amok from the sounds of it.

Great commentary in particular by Oisin Langan and very well aided and honestly abetted by Waltie Moloney.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

It was always going to be difficult in Pairc Ui Rinn,against a team capable of beating Kerry at home.We didn't get enough points;perhaps a lack of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Fair play to the U/21s tonight,they put in a good effort but it wasn't good enough to beat a strong Cork team,they can hold their heads up after that.

Best of luck to the minor hurlers tomorrow night against Limerick,their up against a good team down in the Gaelic grounds.

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    Great commentary in particular by Oisin Lang an and very well aided and honestly abetted by Waltie Moloney.

Should of course say that is live commentary was by Tipp FM and sponsored by a Gents Clothing shop in Nenagh. So thanks to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Wildly off topic of Tipperary hurling but within the confines of hurling and fans on here. Any thoughts about the structures in place for the current Hurling League, in particular with Division 1B and 2A? I'm saddened by the Kerry hurling team's plight. Now I am biased towards Kerry because I like what's happening down there (see this post for further information: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88497388&postcount=24) but it's nonsensical to me.

Kerry have had a tremendous League campaign, going undefeated in five games, scoring 14-92 and have looked very strong but are getting screwed over by the absolutely awful League structure in place by the GAA. They got over Carlow in the group and then had to play them again in a promotion playoff but for want of a better word, it's a precursor to another playoff. They beat Carlow and must now play Offaly who could end up in 1B. That's incredibly unfair on Kerry. To have a good season and logically, they should be in 1B they're now facing the uphill task of playing Offaly (no matter how poor they are, they're playing better competition).

Now, let's step back and view the wider situation. Cork won four games, drew one and finished on the top of the table and earned promotion. No playoff or further game.

Kerry did the same in 2A but no promotion up, instead they've to play two more games.

In 1B, Antrim who finished pointless played Offaly in a relegation match when Antrim should have went down because they were the worst team in the group/division.

Why can't it be uniform across the board? The situation in football is much more fluid (and logical): Tipperary finished on top of the Division and enter into Division 3. It should be the same with hurling. It's an unfair and unbalanced system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

How is hurling supposed to spread and evolve throughout the counties when this is Kerry's reward for their efforts...

Their minors were savaged by Cork tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

What do people expect from Tipperary's minor team?

Wildly off topic of Tipperary hurling but within the confines of hurling and fans on here. Any thoughts about the structures in place for the current Hurling League, in particular with Division 1B and 2A? I'm saddened by the Kerry hurling team's plight. Now I am biased towards Kerry because I like what's happening down there (see this post for further information: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88497388&postcount=24) but it's nonsensical to me.

Kerry have had a tremendous League campaign, going undefeated in five games, scoring 14-92 and have looked very strong but are getting screwed over by the absolutely awful League structure in place by the GAA. They got over Carlow in the group and then had to play them again in a promotion playoff but for want of a better word, it's a precursor to another playoff. They beat Carlow and must now play Offaly who could end up in 1B. That's incredibly unfair on Kerry. To have a good season and logically, they should be in 1B they're now facing the uphill task of playing Offaly (no matter how poor they are, they're playing better competition).

Now, let's step back and view the wider situation. Cork won four games, drew one and finished on the top of the table and earned promotion. No playoff or further game.

Kerry did the same in 2A but no promotion up, instead they've to play two more games.

In 1B, Antrim who finished pointless played Offaly in a relegation match when Antrim should have went down because they were the worst team in the group/division.

Why can't it be uniform across the board? The situation in football is much more fluid (and logical): Tipperary finished on top of the Division and enter into Division 3. It should be the same with hurling. It's an unfair and unbalanced system.

I aired my opinion on this in the Carlow gaa thread already and your right it's totally wrong. Problem with hurling is that it's becoming a closed book and it's not the Tipperary, corks and kilkennys that feel threatened but the div1b counties who have fallen on hard times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

One thing I will say about the league is that division 1a and 1b is closest to championship hurling that the league has ever been.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

What can we expect from your minors tonight? We have a pretty strong team, but when these sides met at U-16 level, there was only 2 points between them... and even last year when we had a very strong team, we only beat ye by a goal. Very likely that it's going to be close again.

I read that only 3 of last year's team are starting tonight, but that isn't always a big indicator, unless you had a particularly strong team the year before. Hopefully it will be an enjoyable game anyway, it's not often I get to go to first-round minor matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Would I be right in saying whoever loses tonight gets a second chance, but after that its knockout for everyone in the competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The reaction to the football loss last night compared to the reaction lets say when the u21 hurlers lost last year is very interesting.....

Ompala wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying whoever loses tonight gets a second chance, but after that its knockout for everyone in the competition?

Thats correct. This time last year we beat Waterford in Walsh Park. They went on to lose the Munster final to Limerick but then beat Laois, Kilkenny and Galway in the All Ireland series. Tbh its a flawed system and id say that even if it was us who benefitted. The footballers have the same system. Take for example we beat Kerry twice in 2012 and lost the quarter final to Mayo. Kerry had a third bite of the cherry while we were out after one defeat.
    The reaction to the football loss last night compared to the reaction lets say when the u21 hurlers lost last year is very interesting.....

I suppose as Tipperary supporters its always been the way that we demand more from the hurlers. We consider ourselves to be a hurling stronghold even if we haven't exactly blazed a trail the past few decades.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Was at the game last night , very disappointed . We started well and missed a couple of decent chances . Level after 10 minutes in the first half Ian Fahy got caught in two minds and kicked high and wide when he could have gone for goal . That was the turning point . Cork rattled of 4 quick points and we were always chasing the game after that . Maybe if we had got another score or two after we drew level in the second half we might have kicked on , but overall Cork were the better side . There is some really good players there and some will play Senior for Tipp and can only add to what is a good Tipp Senior side .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

What amuses and equally annoys me is why supporters who's preference is football always feel the need to somehow play the victim or have a dig at hurling, where does this chip on the shoulder come from?

Last nights team and performance has absolutely nothing to do with hurling, why make the comparison? You are comparing apples and oranges and well you know it, it would be akin to comparing Ireland loosing to New Zealand in Soccer with Ireland loosing to New Zealand in rugby.

Constantly I see Tipperary football supporters lamenting about the treatment the hurlers get and about teh traditional hurling supporters attitude to football, well to be honest from all the evidence I have seen its the football fraternity that seem to have the issues rather than vice versa.

As far as I am aware tonights minor hurling game will be broadcast live on Limerick 95FM...............on the internet only.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Was at the game last night , very disappointed . We started well and missed a couple of decent chances . Level after 10 minutes in the first half Ian Fahy got caught in two minds and kicked high and wide when he could have gone for goal . That was the turning point . Cork rattled of 4 quick points and we were always chasing the game after that . Maybe if we had got another score or two after we drew level in the second half we might have kicked on , but overall Cork were the better side . There is some really good players there and some will play Senior for Tipp and can only add to what is a good Tipp Senior side .

John Meagher was obviously a huge loss for Tipp though Spirit, I couldn't imagine Cadogan for example been allowed to dominate if John had have been there, and even though he seemed to have a fine game I can't imagine O'rirdan can have been 100% either after the week he has had.

John Meagher was obviously a huge loss for Tipp though Spirit, I couldn't imagine Cadogan for example been allowed to dominate if John had have been there, and even though he seemed to have a fine game I can't imagine O'rirdan can have been 100% either after the week he has had.

O`Riordan didn`t look himself last night . Only showed flashes of what he is capable of . Being at that AFL Camp must have been a distraction . Pity about John , badly missed . The confidence of the Cork forwards and their ability to make space and score was in contrast to our laboured efforts . There was a big Tipp support there last night , would be great if they could make it to games on a regular basis , particularly to Thurles .

• Advertisement

Thats correct. This time last year we beat Waterford in Walsh Park. They went on to lose the Munster final to Limerick but then beat Laois, Kilkenny and Galway in the All Ireland series. Tbh its a flawed system and id say that even if it was us who benefitted. The footballers have the same system. Take for example we beat Kerry twice in 2012 and lost the quarter final to Mayo. Kerry had a third bite of the cherry while we were out after one defeat.

It is a flawed system, without doubt. Last year, if ye had beaten us, we wouldn't have even got a 2nd game, which doesn't seem fair- as that is the whole point of having the system as it is. Wouldn't begrudge Waterford the All-Ireland, but they were beaten twice all the same. (They probably should have beaten us easily in the drawn Munster final, but we totally outplayed them in the replay).

Not sure what the solution is, I do think you want to give teams at least a 2nd chance. But you don't want them to play too many games either- players talented enough to be on a county minor team are probably playing minor, U-21 and senior for their club... I think Tipp have an U-16 player in their panel for tonight too.

At the same time, these lads are probably playing plenty of county challenge matches anyway, so would a round robin system of some sort work well at this level? Does kind of take the edge off knockout hurling. But the system at the moment just isn't fair in any way.

What amuses and equally annoys me is why supporters who's preference is football always feel the need to somehow play the victim or have a dig at hurling, where does this chip on the shoulder come from?

It appears that football and hurling have two different organisations. This would seem to be the case also in Cork and Dublin.

By the way it was embarrassing in 2011, in Thurles, on a lovely September evening, to see such a small turn out to welcome home the Tipp Minors after defeating such teams as Cork, Kerry and Dublin of course, among other counties on their way to becoming All Ireland Champions.

Yes Tipperary football needs support but nobody is suggesting that this should be at the expense of the hurlers.

Yes the game is live on the Internet on Limerick 95FM........after 26 minutes Limerick 0 10 Tipperary 0.06

Good honest commentary on the Internet by Limerick 95FM..........final score Limerick 3.17.........Tipperary 2.11

Ye weren't great tonight lads, didn't seem at the races. Closed the gap to a point at one stage but even then, I thought we were much the better side throughout. Full-forward Quirke looked dangerous when he got the ball into his hand, but I think we recognised that, and he barely touched a ball after the opening 15 minutes.

Tynan on the wing was one man who tried to drag ye forward, but it was almost a one-man show at times. I'm sure ye're much better than that, but really didn't turn up today.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ye weren't great tonight lads, didn't seem at the races. Closed the gap to a point at one stage but even then, I thought we were much the better side throughout. Full-forward Quirke looked dangerous when he got the ball into his hand, but I think we recognised that, and he barely touched a ball after the opening 15 minutes.

Tynan on the wing was one man who tried to drag ye forward, but it was almost a one-man show at times. I'm sure ye're much better than that, but really didn't turn up today.

Pretty much agree with your assessment. I think it could have been a case of a bit of experience versus a lack of it but if im honest i thought our lads looked badly coached.

Now you just dont know one day to the next with minors but i would think that Limerick as well as being very good were further along in their development to ours.

O`Riordan didn`t look himself last night . Only showed flashes of what he is capable of . Being at that AFL Camp must have been a distraction . Pity about John , badly missed . The confidence of the Cork forwards and their ability to make space and score was in contrast to our laboured efforts . There was a big Tipp support there last night , would be great if they could make it to games on a regular basis , particularly to Thurles .

Only found out today that Philip Quirke wasnt playing. Now there is a huge huge loss. He lords it in the air for us and would have been a massive plus. Meagher is undoubtedly another as he is a tenacious customer to deal with. TJ Ryan and Dylan Fitzelle were also missing from that All ireland winning minor team which just goes to show really the difference they could have made. Cork to their credit have some real gems such as Mark Sugrue and Cadogan in their ranks

Only found out today that Philip Quirke wasnt playing. Now there is a huge huge loss. He lords it in the air for us and would have been a massive plus. Meagher is undoubtedly another as he is a tenacious customer to deal with. TJ Ryan and Dylan Fitzelle were also missing from that All ireland winning minor team which just goes to show really the difference they could have made. Cork to their credit have some real gems such as Mark Sugrue and Cadogan in their ranks

Quirke seems to have an on going problem with his thigh . He was starting for the Seniors in the McGrath last year and didn`t look out of place . Came on against Clare and I expected him to come on with 10 minutes to go as we were starting to put in the Hail Mary`s at that stage . It is a concern seeing him come and go so often , I hope he doesn`t have to pack it in . Remember him coming on with 15 minutes to go in the Under 21 game v Clare last year and he scored 4 points !

Some club games today i see. Killenaule beat Kildangan by 2, Mullinahone beat Ballingarry by 1. Sars an easy win over Moneygall.

http://people.gaa.ie/club/tipperary/#

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA

• Advertisement

Tipperary Minor Football team v Waterford on Wednesday night at Fraher Field , Dungarvan , 7pm :
    Jack Brady (Ballina)
    Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers)
    Liam Ryan (Clonmel Commercials)
    Colm O’Shaughnessy (Ardfinnan)
    Willie Connors (Kildangan – Captain)
    Cathal O’Mahony (St. Patricks)
    Jack Skehan (Holycross-Ballycahill)
    Tommy Nolan (Drom and Inch)
    Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers)
    Emmet Maloney (Drom and Inch)
    Padraig White (Clonmel Commercials)
    Ross Peters (Clonmel Commercials)
    James Bergin (JK Brackens)
    Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
    Paul Maher (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)

Best of luck to Willie Connors and the lads .

Advertisement