Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Tipperary Minor Football team v Waterford on Wednesday night at Fraher Field , Dungarvan , 7pm :
    Jack Brady (Ballina)
    Danny Owens (Moyle Rovers)
    Liam Ryan (Clonmel Commercials)
    Colm O’Shaughnessy (Ardfinnan)
    Willie Connors (Kildangan – Captain)
    Cathal O’Mahony (St. Patricks)
    Jack Skehan (Holycross-Ballycahill)
    Tommy Nolan (Drom and Inch)
    Stephen Quirke (Moyle Rovers)
    Emmet Maloney (Drom and Inch)
    Padraig White (Clonmel Commercials)
    Ross Peters (Clonmel Commercials)
    James Bergin (JK Brackens)
    Jack Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
    Paul Maher (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)

Best of luck to Willie Connors and the lads .

You'd make decent hurling team out of that!

The headline could lead many astray and lead people to believe there was a bit of divilment involved wheres in reality Bugler didnt really say anything with the intention of being disrespectful to Tipp. I think he probably meant that the Tipp players he spoke to were jealous on the basis of last year alone. In the overall scheme of things sure most of our hurlers have won as much as theirs.

Broadsheet newspapers are growing this uncanny ability to create headlines out of nothing stories like their tabloid counterparts. Thankfully i read the article or i would have had a pop at Mr Bugler :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I know newspapers need to grab attention...but lord...I'm sure Bugler would have been fuming when he saw that headline - everything he says is fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I know newspapers need to grab attention...but lord...I'm sure Bugler would have been fuming when he saw that headline - everything he says is fine!

Yeah it's a prime example of gutter journalism.

I see Lar won't be back for a while either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Pity about Corbett, will be hard to get up to speed now for Championship if he recovers but we know his skills and ball reading ability will never leave him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Well done to the Tipp Minor Football team

These guys will help Tipperary into the big time as Seniors.

Final Score.

Waterford 2.07 Tipperary 2.11

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cork absolutely walloped Limerick and kerry hammered clare so given this result we won't be progressing far at this level.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cork absolutely walloped Limerick and kerry hammered clare so given this result we won't be progressing far at this level.

:confused: Id dearly love to know how you have come to that conclusion? What exactly is the correlation between the results?

I regret your lack of confidence, remember in 2011 the team beat Cork and Kerry and put up a very credible performance against Cork Under 21's last week. Do they have to play Cork or Kerry in the next round ?, if not and they are not Munster winners the back door is a great idea. Wish you would express lots more encouragement to the team to do the business, and who knows maybe they will.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Well I'm all for getting behind the lads but when a kerry team wins by 15 and a Cork team wins by 23 points us beating a Waterford football team by 4 points doesn't exactly instill confidence.

II'll admit I know little about the footballers apart from the few lads who play hurling. It's years of being annihilated by Cork and kerry which influences my opinion.

All the best to the lads in the next round.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Is our minors a young team this year? What i mean is do we have mostly first year minors around 15/16 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Is our minors a young team this year? What i mean is do we have mostly first year minors around 15/16 years old?
    Don't think there is any more under 16s than usual. Maybe a few more under 17s but nothing extraordinarily young

Don't think there is any more under 16s than usual. Maybe a few more under 17s but nothing extraordinarily young

The minor hurlers apparently a very young side. They probably need time to gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Well done to the minor footballers,always good to beat the blahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Tipp v Kerry in Semple stadium on the 14th of may at 7pm..hon Tipp

tippspur wrote: »
    Tipp v Kerry in Semple stadium on the 14th of may at 7pm..hon Tipp

Jeez only for ive an exam right the next day id love to have been able to go to that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Hopefully - we can get someone like Niall O'Meara more game time due to Lar's injury - I don't mind him missing League games at this stage of his career - but he'd really need to start serious training at this stage to be ready for championship...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

II'll admit I know little about the footballers apart from the few lads who play hurling. It's years of being annihilated by Cork and kerry which influences my opinion.

You must have missed the last 4 years so Buddy, we have been the dominant force in minor football for the last number of years. :D

You must have missed the last 4 years so Buddy, we have been the dominant force in minor football for the last number of years. :D

4 years... Exactly my point!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Hopefully - we can get someone like Niall O'Meara more game time due to Lar's injury - I don't mind him missing League games at this stage of his career - but he'd really need to start serious training at this stage to be ready for championship...

Dont forget Lar only rejoined the panel back in May of 2012 after a three month hiatus and was meant to be involved with sprints the first night. He has naturally good fitness. I think even if he was involved at the latter stages of the championship should we be fortunate enough to make it then that could be a huge bonus.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

They are the normal mix for Minor , Alan Tynan was missing last night due to a hand injury , he was one of our top performers last year when he was 15 ! The future is still bright at under age level and it will be seen with the Seniors in the years to come :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Know it's off topic but this carry on is widespread
    Look at the size of the Armagh footballers a decade ago.
    They were monsters!

Players at the highest level in rugby, soccer
    Cycling etc are all at something I'm convinced.
    I see guys at the gym busting their asses who
    While in good shape haven't the serious body changes
    Of the prominent athletes. Barca are full of it.
    Nobody wants to know cos they're all at it at various
    Levels

digzy wrote: »
    They were monsters!

Players at the highest level in rugby, soccer
    Cycling etc are all at something I'm convinced.
    I see guys at the gym busting their asses who
    While in good shape haven't the serious body changes
    Of the prominent athletes. Barca are full of it.
    Nobody wants to know cos they're all at it at various
    Levels

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill, mistakes do and will happen, the Tipperary official put his hand up and took the blame for the error.

As long as GAA remains an amateur game with people of integrity overseeing the welfare of all players young and old, parents can feel confident that their children will come to no harm through substance abuse.

They were monsters!

Players at the highest level in rugby, soccer Cycling etc are all at something I'm convinced. I see guys at the gym busting their asses who
    While in good shape haven't the serious body changes Of the prominent athletes. Barca are full of it. Nobody wants to know cos they're all at it at various Levels
    Id retract a lot of that as you haven't a clue. Cycling was a problem sport and was for decades but while it still is a small issue the sport has had to change or it wouldn't have survived at a pro level.
    Rugby has never really had big problems and wont with the way that players are tested/looked after. The guys bursting their asses off in gyms are not professional athletes who's sole aim in work is to look after themselves physically.
    Xenophile wrote: »
    Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill, mistakes do and will happen, the Tipperary official put his hand up and took the blame for the error.

As long as GAA remains an amateur game with people of integrity overseeing the welfare of all players young and old, parents can feel confident that their children will come to no harm through substance abuse.
    Amatuerism in your last paragraph doesn't come into it as your last paragraph is the same for all sports professional or not.

Id retract a lot of that as you haven't a clue. Cycling was a problem sport and was for decades but while it still is a small issue the sport has had to change or it wouldn't have survived at a pro level.
    Rugby has never really had big problems and wont with the way that players are tested/looked after. The guys bursting their asses off in gyms are not professional athletes who's sole aim in work is to look after themselves physically.

Amatuerism in your last paragraph doesn't come into it as your last paragraph is the same for all sports professional or not.

Pull out Tyler Hamiltons book the last race. Look up the balco lab and the Barcelona links to it.
    Cycling still has issues. Ask Paul kimmage. He knows more about it than you.
    It's nieve in the extreme to think cycling is the only problem sport!I'd be the first to accept that gaa players ain't in the same level as the pro athletes but there is more to their change in physiques than just the gym and a good diet. Did you not see the video footage of cannavaro at juventus with syringes sticking in to him. Why did rio miss that drug test a few years ago but United stood by him whereas when mutu tested for coke Chelsea booted him out.

I've more respect for lance Armstrong because they were all at it and he won. Sean Kelly tested positive a good number of years ago and I can still remember Stephen roches come back in the mountains in the 87 Tour de France.

I'm not saying all the gaa players are on drugs but there's no way performances and physiques change so much down to diet and training alone.

It is obvious that in professional sport that young people who have a dream of being famous and wealthy one day maybe tempted to use whatever means they can to achieve their aims. So hence the difference between amateur and professional. So here is what Niel Francis had to say on the question of supplements published in the Irish Independent just over a year ago. You can read the full article here.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugbys-obsession-with-bulk-threatening-lives-of-young-men-29165230.html

Rugby's obsession with bulk threatening lives of young men
    The use of creatine to build muscle is a worrying trend in our schools game, writes Neil Francis

In 1995 Jonah Lomu was diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome – a degenerative condition affecting the kidneys. We, the unquestioning, were told it resulted from an un-named congenital condition. In 2004 Lomu received a kidney from Grant Kereama, a local Auckland DJ. If Lomu hadn't received the transplant he would have died. In 2011 the transplanted kidney started to fail and Lomu has spent long tracts in hospital interspersed with dialysis three days a week. If Lomu does not receive a new kidney soon his outlook will be bleak.

Jonah's Auckland Blues team-mate and twice-capped All Black winger Joeli Vidiri also has Nephrotic Syndrome but, unlike Lomu, did not have the benefit of a kidney transplant. Vidiri admits that he is lucky to be alive but will need a transplant soon as his health is failing.

This is pertinent to the GAA as we should immediately learn from the experience of other sports.

Pull out Tyler Hamiltons book the last race. Look up the balco lab and the Barcelona links to it.
    Cycling still has issues. Ask Paul kimmage. He knows more about it than you.
    It's nieve in the extreme to think cycling is the only problem sport!I'd be the first to accept that gaa players ain't in the same level as the pro athletes but there is more to their change in physiques than just the gym and a good diet. Did you not see the video footage of cannavaro at juventus with syringes sticking in to him. Why did rio miss that drug test a few years ago but United stood by him whereas when mutu tested for coke Chelsea booted him out.
    I've more respect for lance Armstrong because they were all at it and he won. Sean Kelly tested positive a good number of years ago and I can still remember Stephen roches come back in the mountains in the 87 Tour de France.
    I'm not saying all the gaa players are on drugs but there's no way performances and physiques change so much down to diet and training alone.
    Ive read Hamiltons book and I know all about the issues and know there is still issues I never said there wasn't I said that the tide is changing.
    I don't know anyone in cycling(I do a bit of racing myself and am likely to go on the Ras this year in support of friends racing) who has any respect for Armstrong. Not all cyclists or even near majority dope so don't know how you could respect Armstrong.
    There is many ways and totally possible for performances and physiques to change down to changes In diet/training/lifestyle alone. Inter county players are nearing professional in so many areas that it very much is possible for drastic changes in performance/physique with radical changes to lifestyle etc

• Advertisement

Ive read Hamiltons book and I know all about the issues and know there is still issues I never said there wasn't I said that the tide is changing.
    I don't know anyone in cycling(I do a bit of racing myself and am likely to go on the Ras this year in support of friends racing) who has any respect for Armstrong. Not all cyclists or even near majority dope so don't know how you could respect Armstrong.
    There is many ways and totally possible for performances and physiques to change down to changes In diet/training/lifestyle alone. Inter county players are nearing professional in so many areas that it very much is possible for drastic changes in performance/physique with radical changes to lifestyle etc

Who should be awarded the tour victories with lances ones stripped off him. Most of his competitors have tested positive too. Google barca FC and drugs. You don't have to delve too deep. I haven't a clue about how frequent athletes are tested in different sports. regarding rugby how many times do prominent players return from injury so far ahead of schedule, without naming names. We constantly hear of a prominent irish players superhuman powers of recovery post injury. I don't like it and would like to think it's not out there but rugby like soccer is a pro game. Guys will do anything for that extra few % as the margins are so fine.

Regarding the initial post about the Tipp hurlers there'd be outrage if it occurred to a pro cycling team. Now I'd be shocked if there was widespread blood doping happening in any gaa team but I'd also be shocked they're all Clean should they be tested regularly. C'mon they've advance notice the test for Christ sake.

I'll take your word re Hamiltons book, but after reading it I'd be so sceptical of sports people at the highest level.

Regarding Armstrong, he's a cheat but so were the rest of them which levels the playing field. At least he raised a few bob for the cancer charity along the way.

Advertisement