Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

KILKENNY

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    JJ Delaney
    Brian Kennedy
    Joey Holden
    Jackie Tyrrell
    Cillian Buckley
    Michael Fennelly
    Padraig Walsh
    Richie Hogan
    Colin Fennelly
    TJ Reid
    Richie Power
    Mark Kelly
    Henry Shefflin
    Substitutes
    16. David Herity
    17. Tommy Walsh
    18. Brian Hogan
    19. Kieran Joyce
    20. Conor Fogarty
    21. Michael Walsh
    22. Lester Ryan
    23. Walter Walsh
    24. Eoin Larkin
    25. Aidan Fogarty
    26. Jonjo Farrell

No theories at all digzy, they simply were'nt good enough end of. It seems to be the last possible reason Tipperary people are willing to accept but it's the most obvious.

Since 2008 the only county to have knocked Tipp out of championship hurling is KK, widely regarded as the greatest team of all time, sometimes 2+2 does equal 4!

The difference i feel ultimately is that Tipperary dropped their standards from 2010 whilst Kilkenny responded and drove on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

KILKENNY

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    JJ Delaney
    Brian Kennedy
    Joey Holden
    Jackie Tyrrell
    Cillian Buckley
    Michael Fennelly
    Padraig Walsh
    Richie Hogan
    Colin Fennelly
    TJ Reid
    Richie Power
    Mark Kelly
    Henry Shefflin
    Substitutes
    16. David Herity
    17. Tommy Walsh
    18. Brian Hogan
    19. Kieran Joyce
    20. Conor Fogarty
    21. Michael Walsh
    22. Lester Ryan
    23. Walter Walsh
    24. Eoin Larkin
    25. Aidan Fogarty
    26. Jonjo Farrell
    Looks like a good few new lads starting but that's some subs bench:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Diarmuid Kirwan has got the chop. Thankfully he won't be near one of our games again. Awful referee.

On the subject it's amazing that another Offaly man Brian Gavin is still there considering his poor fitness levels.

• Advertisement

Tipp SH v KK - Gleeson; Barrett, P Maher, Cahill; Barry, B Maher, OMahony; Bergin, Woodlock; D Maher, P Maher, ODwyer; N McGrath, Callanan, N OMeara

“The whole thing happened so quickly for us,” he says now of Tipperary’s rising.
    “A few of us came in and we were so busy that we didn’t have much time to think about it. I was chatting to Noel on the bus coming home from a league game a few weeks ago and we were just saying how much easier it was at that age. We didn’t really care, like. We were just playing and being successful.
    “It is gas: you get the few years experience and you begin to think about it and maybe put more pressure on yourself. We had good years but we didn’t see ourselves as being ‘up there’. Even in our dressing room, we saw players like Brendan Cummins and Eoin [Kelly] and Larry [Corbett] so we didn’t think or ourselves on that level. It was only around 2011 and 2012 when expectation started to rise in Tipp that we were nearly expected to win the All-Ireland every year. That aspect of it was a bit strange.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/premier-hero-p%C3%A1draic-maher-relishing-another-kilkenny-test-1.1782105?page=1

Double hip surgery - hopefully he can have an injury free few years now - he deserves it...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ryanrsquos-road-to-recovery-267360.html

glued wrote: »
    Diarmuid Kirwan has got the chop. Thankfully he won't be near one of our games again. Awful referee.

On the subject it's amazing that another Offaly man Brian Gavin is still there considering his poor fitness levels.
    That's good news.

Hon Tipp tomorrow.......looking forward to beating the cats for once, (hopefully:))

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Hon Tipp tomorrow.......looking forward to beating the cats for once, (hopefully:))

If were in with a shout and can weather that storm from 35-50 minute then i think we could sneak it. If we are chasing the game though and or going long periods without getting a score we are toast

Performance tomorrow, beat them in the championship, thank you very much. In fact, no. Just beat them - all the time -from now on. Thank you very much.

All about the performance on the pitch today. Obviously I'd love to win but the most important thing today is to perform well and show more progress.

Also would love to see Gar Ryan get a good chance today too.

H'on Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

glued wrote: »
    All about the performance on the pitch today. Obviously I'd love to win but the most important thing today is to perform well and show more progress.

Also would love to see Gar Ryan get a good chance today too.

H'on Tipp.

Come summer time most of us won't even remember the score of this game, maybe who won. I'd agree with you regarding the importance of the performance today in the normal course of events but given the opposition and our poor results against them in the recent past I feel a win would be more important from a psychological point of view. It'd give great confidence to the team who up until the cork win were getting awful stick from numerous sources. It'd be nice to see lads who were quiet in the cork and Clare games come good today. Surely noël mc garth is due a big one?

digzy wrote: »
    Come summer time most of us won't even remember the score of this game, maybe who won. I'd agree with you regarding the importance of the performance today in the normal course of events but given the opposition and our poor results against them in the recent past I feel a win would be more important from a psychological point of view. It'd give great confidence to the team who up until the cork win were getting awful stick from numerous sources. It'd be nice to see lads who were quiet in the cork and Clare games come good today. Surely noël mc garth is due a big one?

Noel McGrath had a very impressive 45-50 minutes against Kilkenny in Nowlan Park in February. The potential in our forward line is excellent IMO. The problem has been that it's mostly been Callanan and one of Bubbles or Noel playing with him. If EOS can get Bonnar, Bubbles, Noel McGrath and Callanan playing as a unit then we have the making of a serious forward line if we can get the likes of Shane Bourke, Gar Ryan, John O'Brien, Lar Corbett, Jason Forde, Denis Maher, Niall O'Meara... involved too.

The biggest thing for me today is Brendan Maher. How will he do with Colin Fennelly. There is no doubt that Brendan has improved by moving into CB but there still is question marks of that midfield. Are Bergin and Woodlock good enough? I think the combination of allowing Brendan Maher and Noel McGrath to move back,or up in Brendan's case, has worked well for us in the last couple of games. Bergin played well against Kilkenny from midfield in the Championship too last year if I remember correctly.

What would be ideal from today would be a team performance that gives us more assurances about our biggest positional needs going into the Limerick game. I'm not sure we necessarily need to win this game and I understand the context of being beaten twice by Kilkenny wouldn't be ideal for morale but the players know what they have to do; It's all about Limerick. We're in bonus territory for preparation now and every game we get tells us more about this team. Kilkenny are still doing a lot of reshuffling of the decks so I'd be wary of taking too much out of this game either. I think we're probably nearly nailed on for our Championship team bar maybe one or two spots but there is still a month of training to go before Limerick and I'd be happy just to see another small bit of progress today.

Lads doing well so far. How on earth are we not ahead by more? Noel McGrath doing very well. Some class touches from him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Good game so far. P Maher really doing well, really is glue to the side..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,696 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would've been cruel to not get the draw with how long we were ahead for in the whole game coupled with the last free hitting the post.

Roll on ET. .

I'm loosing the faith:cool:

I'm losing the faith:cool:
    Why?
    Hopefully we can get the win but if we lose no real complaints.

• Advertisement

Why?
    Hopefully we can get the win but if we lose no real complaints.

Faith in us winning the game!

Bloody ref is killing us

Faith in us winning the game!

Bloody ref is killing us
    He has been frustrating but he has been the same to them. Wont be difference between us winning and losing

What the fcuk was that from Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sickened

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He has been frustrating but he has been the same to them. Wont be difference between us winning and losing

What game are you watching? Did you not see the free given to shefflin earlier along with the one against Bonna on Paul Murphy. Though I accept your more familiar with the ira lovers forum.
    They're even on about it on radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

As a galway man viewing the match on tg4 ,that game ranks in the 'great games of all time' category as close to number one. It really showed why hurling if played as a world sport could be massively popular field game.

A draw would have been a disaster. It's an improvement. I don't think we'll see Holden or Kennedy in their championship side. Or Shefflin. Tommy Walsh, Larkin and the second Power to start.

Do we have similar improvement to make to our side...

Will the lads gain more belief or feel they can't beat KK no matter what...

Two costly mistakes - Gleeson's quick free and not marking up at the sideline - think Noel was catch ball watching...

Glad to see Gar Ryan play well - not sure about going back to lads like Johno O'Brien and Shane Bourke...

If we keep improving we'll go close. As to whether we'll be up to Kilkenny in the summer remains to be seen - I just feel we are a player or two behind - a real dominant midfielder or wing forward behind...

but a lot closer than last year

What game are you watching? Did you not see the free given to shefflin earlier along with the one against Bonna on Paul Murphy. Though I accept your more familiar with the ira lovers forum.
    Same one as everyone else but i'll repeat what I said earlier he wasn't the difference between the teams he was the same for both.
    There was plenty of decisions both sides could argue/complain about but that happens in all games.
    Really a need for ****e about ira...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I would not be quite as strong as that Digzy. He gave a few very poor decisions at key times against us, he also gave a few soft frees to us as well. Overall I would say he favoured KK slightly more but he was just a little inconsistent in general. To be fair the decisions he got wrong were nearly all ones where he was a bit of distance away, which is never easy for a hurling ref.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mod: Guys, Please keep this on topic. Thanks

Advertisement