Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

Ladies football crisis. 19 players walked off the panel. How in the name of god Leahy is keeping his job in all of this is bizarre to say the least. A very badly ran setup and it looks as if Mr Campbell the chairman hasnt been painted in a good light

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/tipp-ladies-in-crisis-as-19-players-leave-panel-267642.html

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

First games in the County Senior Football Championship played over the weekend . Wins for JK Brackens and Aherlow . Was at the McDonaghs - Loughmore match , very poor , some terrible shooting from both sides . Darragh Egan was number 14 for McDonaghs . Some man to take a free from distance , very accurate , also made a good target man , the wet ball didn`t help though . Surprised more long ball wasn`t played to him as he broke some good ball to the other forwards when they did . George Hannigan looked the best player on the night . Loughmore put in a strong finish to win it though . Arravale beat Commercials by a point in what was a good battle from what I hear . Interesting as Commercials have 4-5 County players , all Forwards , while Aravale have 4-5 County men , all Defenders . Nice start for Arravale who I have backed at 5-1 to win the Title .
    3 more first round games on Wednesday night , clashing with the Munster Minor Football Semi Final , Tipp v Kerry in Thurles . Seems most of the Senior Football Championship matches will be played on Wednesday evenings !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Wherever Leahy goes...controversy follows...just seems to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Really enjoyed sundays contest between the two heavyweights would have liked a draw and another day out. Thought the referee favoured kilkenny for a lot of frees and then tried to even it up and gave a free to tipp just before the end of normal time. All you want really is a ref that isnt noticed and doesnt make obvious wrong calls as the ref on sunday did. Both teams lasted 90mins really well and the pace only dropped slightly as it wore on.

Tipp have found 3 good ones in barrett, barry and niall o meara. denis maher will get another chance im sure and is teak tough and contributed on the score board. the subs for tipp were poor though apart from gearoid ryan who had a brilliant game when he came on. bonner maher did the work of two men, he was outstanding.

For kilkenny richie hogan hit ball all day long as did reid and jj delaney. both teams sized up well but i thought kilkenny subs offered more than shane bourke or shane macgrath or john o brien. I would have liked to see seamus kennedy, ronan maher, conor kenny and mich breen get a run out from the bench rather than the above as we need to improve our bench options and unless we have new players from the bench we will keep playing second best. Michael fennelly hadnt got a puck off Woodlock but when woody went off he picked off two points and had a lot more room.

At least when paddy stapleton and lar corbett come back we will have more options. is paddy stapleton a viable option for midfield as a sub should bergin or woody run out of steam or get injured? We are weak on options there as shane macgrath and conor o brien havent played well there for a few years. even if stapleton went corner back would it free up michael cahill or perhaps we are safer having michael cahill gelling the full back line together.

Tipp should get over limerick and kilkenny over offaly without too much fanfare. limerick lloked to be building a nice team but losing donal o grady must surely have set them back. tipp and clare are scheduled to meet in the munster final unless cork topple clare and so that means that kilkenny could be looking at tipp or clare in an all ireland semi final. Of course the dubs and galway will have a say too and will fancy their chances and have great players so it is any number of teams that will fancy their chances.roll on championship.

Talk of Bubbles goal shouldn't have stood either. Apparently you are not allowed in the square before the ball from a set play but are from open play.

EDIT: The exception KK took is to Niall O'Meara being in the square but on the basis he was nowhere near the ball they have a very poor case.

• Advertisement

IN 2011 ALL-I Final - the killer fennelly goal just before half time came from a quick sideline worked up along the wing from similar position as last Sunday - it's a set piece they seem to have - only this time the players involved were Shefflin and Brennan - worked into Fennelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Live commentary on tonights minor game on Radio Kerry.

Updates on Tipp FM

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

IN 2011 ALL-I Final - the killer fennelly goal just before half time came from a quick sideline worked up along the wing from similar position as last Sunday - it's a set piece they seem to have - only this time the players involved were Shefflin and Brennan - worked into Fennelly

Our lads would really want to mark up from sidelines from time to time in fairness. Bad enough they got caught out in a final but just to reassure us they didnt learn a thing from it they were caught 3 times on Sunday. 2 times alone the first 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Minors well beaten tonight, a hammering really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cork absolutely walloped Limerick and kerry hammered clare so given this result we won't be progressing far at this level.
    :confused: Id dearly love to know how you have come to that conclusion? What exactly is the correlation between the results?
    Xenophile wrote: »
    I regret your lack of confidence, remember in 2011 the team beat Cork and Kerry and put up a very credible performance against Cork Under 21's last week. Do they have to play Cork or Kerry in the next round ?, if not and they are not Munster winners the back door is a great idea. Wish you would express lots more encouragement to the team to do the business, and who knows maybe they will.

I guess the proof was actually in the pudding!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Disappointing night for the minors especially in Thurles. Hoping we can respond in a positive way to this next year as opposed to just abandoning the project. Id still reckon there is some good footballers there. Not easy when you have the dual players. One cancelled out the other and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Talk of Bubbles goal shouldn't have stood either. Apparently you are not allowed in the square before the ball from a set play but are from open play.

EDIT: The exception KK took is to Niall O'Meara being in the square but on the basis he was nowhere near the ball they have a very poor case.
    I watched the replay on TG4 a few times and it looks to me that Bubbles ran into the square,if you watch it from the other camera angle you can see for sure that he definitely does.

We must also remember re minors that Jack O'Connor is a huge plus for Kerry minors as manager. One of the games shrewdest men. He done it all with the senior team having won 3 All Ireland's (04,06 and 09).

tippspur wrote: »
    I watched the replay on TG4 a few times and it looks to me that Bubbles ran into the square,if you watch it from the other camera angle you can see for sure that he definitely does.

By the rules of the law actually it does look like that. I think the rule from a set play is that you cannot be in the square before the ball is and he was. Open play is different i think. You are allowed in there once the ball leaves your teammate's hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

By the rules of the law actually it does look like that. I think the rule from a set play is that you cannot be in the square before the ball is and he was. Open play is different i think. You are allowed in there once the ball leaves your teammate's hurley

I don't think there is any difference.
    But these are never given once there is any evidence of movement from outside the square into the square as the ball is travelling. It would be impossible to get it right without a video replay.
    Generally the square ball is only ever given when the attacker is fairly stationary in the square or is right in on top of the end line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

robbiezero wrote: »
    I don't think there is any difference.
    But these are never given once there is any evidence of movement from outside the square into the square as the ball is travelling. It would be impossible to get it right without a video replay.
    Generally the square ball is only ever given when the attacker is fairly stationary in the square or is right in on top of the end line.

I can picture the fun skysports will have with this rule:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Disappointing night for the minors especially in Thurles. Hoping we can respond in a positive way to this next year as opposed to just abandoning the project. Id still reckon there is some good footballers there. Not easy when you have the dual players. One cancelled out the other and vice versa

We have had 3 good years , unlucky last year , lad was sent off early in the Munster Final . A good scatter of last nights panel still underage for next year , a year older , wiser , fitter and stronger !

Wouldn't hugely agree with that article. That final reminded me very much of the 2009 final. Also I wouldn't be surprised at all if we didnt see the two best teams in the country this year playing that final.

Last years final was a poor affair. Kilkenny comfortably the better side without being especially good themselves.

Wouldn't hugely agree with that article. That final reminded me very much of the 2009 final. Also I wouldn't be surprised at all if we didnt see the two best teams in the country this year playing that final.

Last years final was a poor affair. Kilkenny comfortably the better side without being especially good themselves.

There is suggestions from our neighbours that we 'showed our hand' last Sunday. Absolute horse manure. But im happy for them to go with that belief somehow. There is definately more in us im convinced. There was space to be exploited on one or two occasions in that first half and we took the scores instead. Definitely another 10-15% performance in us.

• Advertisement

There is suggestions from our neighbours that we 'showed our hand' last Sunday. Absolute horse manure. But im happy for them to go with that belief somehow. There is definately more in us im convinced. There was space to be exploited on one or two occasions in that first half and we took the scores instead. Definitely another 10-15% performance in us.

Would agree.
    Before we go "hiding our hand" we need to find out if we have one first.

Would agree.
    Before we go "hiding our hand" we need to find out if we have one first.

Id be confident we would. Last year O'Shea was clearing the rubble. This year the foundations are in and there is a few rows of blocks laid already. Hopefully the roof will be fully slated the end of September :)

Id be confident we would. Last year O'Shea was clearing the rubble. This year the foundations are in and there is a few rows of blocks laid already. Hopefully the roof will be fully slated the end of September :)

Me too. I think we saw last Sunday that we can be very hopeful of a long run in the championship.

Tipperary v Kilkenny u21 challenge taking place in Grangemockler tomorrow evening (Sunday) at 6.30PM

Under 21 Hurling Challenge - Kilkenny 1-12 Tipperary 1-5 - HT Score

Under 21 Hurling challenge game result - Kilkenny 1-18 Tipperary 1-17

• Advertisement

Under 21 Hurling Challenge - Kilkenny 1-12 Tipperary 1-5 - HT Score
    Under 21 Hurling challenge game result - Kilkenny 1-18 Tipperary 1-17

Was at it there. Bit of a lottery tbh as wind a huge factor and we were against it in the first half. My god it was unreal windy. It was swirling around as opposed to blowing one straight direction.

Our decision making done us no favour either. Gallagher skinned their backs for pace and ended up going for goal and getting blocked in the first half when we probably should have been just happy to keep the score board ticking over.

Still though loads to come on to the team. Meagher, O'Riordan, Ronan Maher, John Mcgrath, Mark McCarthy could stake a claim yet, Stephen O'Brien, Cathal Barrett. Not sure how much Kilkenny can call upon but we'll certainly be better come summer. We had way more of the ball. Need to get an end product.

On the basis of tonight i was very impressed with Odhran Floyd and Conor Hammersley who along with Bill Maher worked tirelessly. Forde laid off some nice touches but could have been better.

Advertisement