Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Well yesterday was a bit of a kick in the ar$e. I tried to refrain myself from being too negative but here we go again. I thought Shane McGrath played well as did Brendan Maher. Both of whom came off at half time and that really seemed to upset us. Also the forwards were very poor in the second half. We made six changes at half time but still we had about 11 of our starters on the field conceding 5 goals and losing by 9. Hard to really read into it.

My XV for the Championship would be:
    Gleeson
    Barrett Paudie Cahill
    Barry BM S. McGrath
    Woody Bergin
    Denis/Lar Bonner Bubbles
    Noel Callanan O'Meara

I think that teams gives us plenty of options and there is lots of change. I still worry about the forwards. At least now with Lar coming back that might just give a few lads that extra bit of competition. Ronan Maher tried hard against Wexford and was switched from Midfield to Wing back at half time. I think he's another good option from the bench. Also Gar Ryan will surely get a bit more hurling under his belt against Limerick. That Wexford match shouldn't be taken too seriously but we still need to learn lessons. You get the feeling that we may have been getting a bit carried away after the League Final and hopefully that brings a few heads down to earth.

I'm not delighted with the midfield pairing but they're a good dynamic set of players. Having Bonner in front of them gives them far more space and that can really suit a runner like Woodlock. Also Brendan Maher at centre back is a huge plus for that midfield too. Hopefully they'll compliment each other nicely.

Again the main worry is in the forwards. I hope we start with Denis Maher and then change it up if needs be. Lar can have the impact from the bench but it's important that Eamon O'Shea sticks with the likes of O'Meara and Denis Maher in there because we need to get a nice mix of players in there. It's a pity Pa Bourke isn't available for selection and I think that's something himself and O'Shea will have to sort out after the Championship. He's playing some lovely stuff for Sars and he is definitely somebody who could be used.

Limerick are in turmoil. After the county board acting up and Donal O'Grady resigning it's hard to see Limerick being too confident. The senior panel was badly beaten by the under 21's in a challenge match and by all accounts a few bad pulls from some frustrated senior players led to a bit of a scuffle. But they certainly will be out to prove a point. I'd be disappointed to lose against Limerick as I don't think they'll be in the mix come September. This is a game Tipperary have typically lost over the years but I don't think we'll underestimate them this time around and surely a few guys will want to right the wrongs of last year in the Gaelic Grounds.

My two cents is personally that i wouldn't read too much into yesterdays result. There is still some heavy training involved at this time of the year, the bit of shadow boxing and one eye on the next important game.

Still though i don't think we should dismiss Limerick. I fancy us to win should we play to our very best potential but if the attitude is poor on the day then we could be beaten. We need to start with some intent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

No Conor O'Mahony? Or Saint?

No Conor O'Mahony? Or Saint?

Well I don't think O'Mahony is a wing back. Paddy Stapleton is an excellent corner back but Cathal Barrett was fantastic during the league and really deserves his place in the team. No doubt both players will still play a huge part for Tipperary this year.

• Advertisement

Personally I would take O'Mahony at wing back over Shane Mac any day - We're light enough as it is without O'Mahony - I hear you that Barrett deserves his chance - has earned it - great to have competition between the players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Been thinking about the upcoming match a fair bit. Rough lineup prediction here:
    Gleeson

Barrett, P. Maher, Cahill.

Barry, B. Maher, O' Mahony.

Bergin, Woodlock.

O' Dwyer, Patrick Maher, D. Maher/Ryan.

N. McGrath, Callanan, O' Meara/Corbett.

I'm finding it difficult to predict half back, half forward and corner forward. O' Shea likes Lar and I think he could play him if he's fit. O' Meara has been good but I wonder would the occasion get to him but he has hurled an awful lot between this season and last so he might be fine. Stephen Walsh could mark him and although he's decent, O' Meara might be fine. The battle between Seamus Callanan and Richie McCarthy should be immense.

I think (judging if my analysis is correct this season) the game play could go like this:

Barrett, Maher, Cahill in a fixed full back line.

B. Maher as sweeper

Barry, with Bergin dropping back, O' Mahony

N. McGrath with Woodlock at midfield.

O' Dwyer, Bonner, D. Maher

Callanan, O' Meara.

Or a traditional back six with Bergin, Woodlock, McGrath at midfield.

The possibilities are endless! Just a lot of surmising at this stage. I would like to see a traditional scrap of 15 on 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

I know - this is a fact - good times - a lot better hurler than he is a predictor - i think he just hates kk and let's that get ahead of him....

• Advertisement

I know - this is a fact - good times - a lot better hurler than he is a predictor - i think he just hates kk and let's that get ahead of him....

True to pal alto i was neva da greatest fan of his either haha

ah stop you wouldn't see me for 6 months if that happened:mad:

Hopefully, we're going to get a good hard physical battle - we'll find out a lot about these new players and the apparently resurgent ones such as Callinan -
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/limerick-lsquoin-good-shapersquo-for-tipp-269502.html

So Fennelly going for a Tipp v Clare final and Eddie Brennan going for a Dublin v Cork final?.....hmmmm, I dunno whats giving me the idea but me thinks the Kilkenny men are happy to play down their teams chances this year :)

I think if we have an achilles heel its our bench. Not confident of Shane Bourke, Jason Forde, Paddy Murphy, Mikey Heffernan being able to offer us anything. Both Eoin and Johno are also beaten dockets im afraid.

Lar and Gar Ryan on the other hand are welcome plusses

I think if we have an achilles heel its our bench. Not confident of Shane Bourke, Jason Forde, Paddy Murphy, Mikey Heffernan being able to offer us anything. Both Eoin and Johno are also beaten dockets im afraid.

Lar and Gar Ryan on the other hand are welcome plusses

The problem is this season was about getting lads working together and getting them finding their best roles in the side. It was always going to be hard to align that plan with finding guys to come off the bench too. Hopefully one or two guys outside the usual suspects can stake a claim for a place. Ronan Maher is going very well for Tipperary in training and depending on the Championship we could see a lot of him because I know he's well liked by Management.

glued wrote: »
    The problem is this season was about getting lads working together and getting them finding their best roles in the side. It was always going to be hard to align that plan with finding guys to come off the bench too. Hopefully one or two guys outside the usual suspects can stake a claim for a place. Ronan Maher is going very well for Tipperary in training and depending on the Championship we could see a lot of him because I know he's well liked by Management.

I like Ronan myself. Very dynamic player. Could well make his first championship appearance this year.

I think the difference between ourselves and Kilkenny in 2013 and 2014 has been the bench. Three of our subs from the last day - Bourke, Johno and Shane Mcgrath had no impact on the game and actually took from our performance. We need a bench that are all willing and eager to claim a starting shirt but i cant help feeling we have had a bench that are all too aware of their shortcomings and have no real desire to push on.

He might be jumping the gun...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cummins-tipp-hungrier-and-more-streetwise-30306804.html

How do people feel about Callinan at Full-Forward and taking the frees....

If I was manager I'd have Callanan on frees and in at full forward or at least the corner. He is red-hot right now and is a must-start.

• Advertisement

He was great in teh league up until the final - JJ had him under wraps then - the limerick full back is probably their best player - i know he's only back from injury but....

He was great in teh league up until the final - JJ had him under wraps then - the limerick full back is probably their best player - i know he's only back from injury but....

I dont think a good ball went into him though to be honest and he did force a save from their goalkeeper. Id start him there. He seemed at the very least eager to get on the ball in the league final and tried to make himself available so with the right ball he could do the business.

Well, here's hoping - he had a great chance for a goal last year - did very well to get in for it - then missed - he missed some easy frees too...so this is his chance to rectify - there's no pressure like championship pressure

Cork's Damian Cahalane was great marking Callanan but at least Seamus was getting a flow of ball into him and he eventually turned the tide.

For the League final, factor in that JJ is exceptional and a player will have an off game. Seamie had a great league campaign overall and if he's spluttering on frees, we have other candidates to take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Free taking becoming so vital these days, most teams now have freetakers that are scoring 90%+ of chances. Waterford's O'Mahony, Horgan for Cork and TJ Reid for KK are the most accurate at the moment but Clare have a very high scoring rate too. KK had Larkin before who was deadly also. I think it is an area where it has cost teams like Tipp (good few missed in Nowlan Park last year) and Dublin (Paul Ryan missed some bankers vs. Cork in Semi-Final) in recent years but Callanan seems more accurate than recent Tipp takers so hopefully he keeps it up. I would say he is probably converting around 80% so there is still some room to improve.

Clare's Colin Ryan is the best free taker in the country. He put on a show versus Limerick last year in the semi-final, topped the overall points scorer that season and proved his worth again this year in the League against Kilkenny with a superb free to win it. He's exceptional.

always thought pa bourke to be our best free taker in recent years:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I think TJ Reid may challenge Colin Ryan for most accurate this year. He missed almost nothing in the league.

• Advertisement

Is it true that Pa was invited back in but refused?

Advertisement