Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sterling10

Think it was more of a case of "Pa can you come in to make up numbers in a training match" that he refused rather than return to the panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

In some ways he may have been a bit shafted but in other ways I'm not sure he's the type of player that O'Shea is building towards. O'Shea realizes from watching all those loses to KK in recent years what type of player the modern game demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Atlethic and built like a tank with an engine - you can have one Pa Bourke to a team - but right now that's Seamie - You can't have two or three luxury players in a side anymore

1. Nickie Quaid (Effin), 2. Seamus Hickey (Murroe/Boher), 3. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), 4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry),5. Paudie O Brien (Vice Captain) (Kilmallock), 6. Wayne McNamara (Adare), 7. Gavin O Mahony (Kilmallock), 8. James Ryan (Garryspillane), 9. Paul Browne (Bruff), 10. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh), 11. Donal O Grady (Captain)(Granagh/Ballyingarry), 12. Declan Hannon (Adare), 13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock), 14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh) 15. Sean Tobin (Murroe/Boher).

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Tipperary (SF v Limerick)

Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard)
    Ger Mulhair (Arravale Rovers)
    Paddy Codd (Killenaule – Captain)
    Ciarán McDonald (Aherlow)
    Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)
    Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers)
    Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers)
    Steven O’Brien (Ballina)
    George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers)
    Philip Austin (Borrisokane)
    Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials)
    Brian Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty)
    Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen)
    Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials)
    Barry Grogan (Aherlow)

Delight to see Colin O`Riordan make a start .

• Advertisement

Best of luck to both the Senior hurlers and footballers this weekend.

“We met the following day and said we had to move on because Championship is a completely different animal. You can’t compare league with Championship - I know that from the amount of years I have been there and the older guys try and impart that onto the younger guys and tell them."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/tipperaryrsquos-paul-curran-is-far-from-finished-270461.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He was great in teh league up until the final - JJ had him under wraps then - the limerick full back is probably their best player - i know he's only back from injury but....

I think Ritchie McCarthy is grossly over rated to be honest and wouldn't be worried about Seamie in that duel at all.
    Is it true that Pa was invited back in but refused?

Yeah, he was asked to join the training panel about 2 months ago when Tipp had a number of injuries and he declined, can fully understand why and he certainly has more to offer than some of the forwards in the current panel.

Well Seamus had to be subbed against MCcarthy last year...
    And while Seamus had a great league - it is just that - a great league - his championship form remains yet to be seen - the same goes for every player

I dearly hope he carries his league form in with the same kind of scoring productivity - that would be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Best of luck to both the Senior hurlers and footballers this weekend.

a tipp double wouldnt be a bad bet over the weekend something like 7/4 , however i wouldnt trust the outcome of the game sunday , all logic would point towards a tipp win but i would have said the same thing last year in limerick ( or last week for that matter)

surely the footballers will be too strong for limerick tomorrow night i know its division 3 v division 4 and it is an away game but for all the work done over the years its now it would want to start showing its face , i would expect ye to give cork a good game in the semi final as it stands

• Advertisement

A Limerick double for long odds is better again - No pressure on teh limerick hurlers whatsoever - nobody expects them to win - bookies give them no chance - no pressure just go out and hurl - nice position to be in

O'Shea and Tipp under all the pressure - mainly as they been upping the game, saying it is their main focus all year - but O'Shea knows if he loses he will be gone - unless he wins the AL through the backdoor

surely the footballers will be too strong for limerick tomorrow night i know its division 3 v division 4 and it is an away game but for all the work done over the years its now it would want to start showing its face , i would expect ye to give cork a good game in the semi final as it stands

We have had a good build up to the game , played Kildare 2 weeks ago and beat them by 5 points , they scored a last minute penalty to make the score look respectable .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

We have had a good build up to the game , played Kildare 2 weeks ago and beat them by 5 points , they scored a last minute penalty to make the score look respectable .

yeah i heard that , that made the case stronger in tipps case aswell as that there has been a sharp decline on underage football on limerick at the moment plus the clare juniors hammered the limerick juniors last week in a challange as well (an area where we are not very strong) shows that the strength in depth might not be great either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That's a very good result tbf.

yeah i heard that , that made the case stronger in tipps case aswell as that there has been a sharp decline on underage football on limerick at the moment plus the clare juniors hammered the limerick juniors last week in a challange as well (an area where we are not very strong) shows that the strength in depth might not be great either

Outside of the Limerick seniors, the setup and work put into Limerick football is a bit of a joke... at club level, there are some decent teams. I mean, out west Limerick it's all football really- Fr. Casey's, NCW, St. Kieran's, Ballysteen... all fairly strong clubs who should be producing players at all levels. But when it comes to county structures at underage, and junior level, it's a complete joke.

Since the early 2000s, we've been woeful at underage, and it will come back to bite us. But we've still brought through a few good players in that time, and we still have some of the Liam Kearns crop.

Had a poor year last year after winning Division 4 (ahead of Tipp, it must be said) but Brudair's done really well in my opinion. Considering some of the players he's missing- I mean Eoghan O'Connor and Bobby O'Brien are two of the brightest talents that have come through in recent years and they're not on the panel; not to mention experienced heads like Stephen Kelly, Stephen Lavin and Jim Donovan retiring before their time..... or players playing hurling like Jim-Bob Ryan or Stephen Walsh. He's brought in a load of players and they've impressed. Picked an inexperienced team, but we'll have a serious bench to call on and the youngsters seem to have responded well to them.

Tipp had a serious league, but if we can hold strong through the middle of our defence, I give us a real chance. Don't write us off quite yet.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That's a very good result tbf.

Outside of the Limerick seniors, the setup and work put into Limerick football is a bit of a joke... at club level, there are some decent teams. I mean, out west Limerick it's all football really- Fr. Casey's, NCW, St. Kieran's, Ballysteen... all fairly strong clubs who should be producing players at all levels. But when it comes to county structures at underage, and junior level, it's a complete joke.

Since the early 2000s, we've been woeful at underage, and it will come back to bite us. But we've still brought through a few good players in that time, and we still have some of the Liam Kearns crop.

Had a poor year last year after winning Division 4 (ahead of Tipp, it must be said) but Brudair's done really well in my opinion. Considering some of the players he's missing- I mean Eoghan O'Connor and Bobby O'Brien are two of the brightest talents that have come through in recent years and they're not on the panel; not to mention experienced heads like Stephen Kelly, Stephen Lavin and Jim Donovan retiring before their time..... or players playing hurling like Jim-Bob Ryan or Stephen Walsh. He's brought in a load of players and they've impressed. Picked an inexperienced team, but we'll have a serious bench to call on and the youngsters seem to have responded well to them.

Tipp had a serious league, but if we can hold strong through the middle of our defence, I give us a real chance. Don't write us off quite yet.

Club Football is stronger in Clare , Limerick and Waterford compared to Club Football in Tipp but we have a decent County side ! The work at underage is key with Michael Quinlivan and Colin O`Riordan coming through now . 12 of the Tipp Junior panel are Under 21s and David Power is the Junior Manager also .

Well Seamus had to be subbed against MCcarthy last year...
    And while Seamus had a great league - it is just that - a great league - his championship form remains yet to be seen - the same goes for every player

I dearly hope he carries his league form in with the same kind of scoring productivity - that would be fantastic

It had zero to do with McCarthy who didn't touch a ball in the first 35 mins, Seamie beat him to the 4 balls that went in, it was his finishing rather than McCarthy that let him down.

People love using the ''its only the league'' card when it suits, I didn't hear too many saying it after the game in Salthill or after the final. Its very clear that Seamie has improved hugely under O'Shea and is a very different player to 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Club Football is stronger in Clare , Limerick and Waterford compared to Club Football in Tipp but we have a decent County side ! The work at underage is key with Michael Quinlivan and Colin O`Riordan coming through now . 12 of the Tipp Junior panel are Under 21s and David Power is the Junior Manager also .

Yeah Tipp have done super work at underage level, and it's bound to pay off eventually. Over the past 5 or so years, I would say ye have been ahead of Kerry in underage football.

Underage success doesn't always translate to senior success, but it certainly can't hurt and Tipp's work should be an example to Limerick. Liam Kearns almost single-handedly dragged Limerick football from the doldrums, he was helped by having some hugely talented players come through together (who all definitely benefited from Kearns' coaching at underage) but we've gone backwards since he left. Shambolic stuff really.

No I don't accept that. I remember him being an excellent player - a goal scoring machine in his first few years with Tipp - in championship - then he went backwards - Sheedy never trusted him for a starting place when he won the all-ireland.

We see many players perform in the league and not in the championship

He has had a great league. It's a big test for him. I hope he does it. But the league is a different beast.

Only his finishing? How important is finishing to a forward? It's all about dealing with pressure and taking the chances when they come?

I hope he does go well- but his championship form of the last few years dictates he won't. Certaintly not against the top four

Funnily enough I've never heard anyone one say 'It's only the championship....' On a previous post I posted on the last page it quotes Paul Curran who states the League is miles away from championship

No I don't accept that. I remember him being an excellent player - a goal scoring machine in his first few years with Tipp - in championship - then he went backwards - Sheedy never trusted him for a starting place when he won the all-ireland.

He has had a great league. It's a big test for him. I hope he does it. But the league is a different beast.

Only his finishing? How important is finishing to a forward? It's all about dealing with pressure and taking the chances when they come?

I hope he does go well- but his championship form of the last few years dictates he won't. Certaintly not against the top four

Funnily enough I've never heard anyone one say 'It's only the championship....' On a previous post I posted on the last page it quotes Paul Curran who states the League is miles away from championship

I honestly think the Declan and Tommy regime set Seamie back an awful lot both confidence wise. After suffering an 18 point humiliation to your nearest rivals and the team that is probably your bitterest rivals, it was always going to play on your mind. While Callanan could always be accused of being a lazy sod i solemnly believe Sheedy kept him on his toes as proved in his 2010 final cameo whereas he suffered badly under the new regime.

I do agree that the acid test is championship but surely both Noelie and Seamie have proved that at the very least they are hungry for battle? At the end of the day thats all we can ask. I mean plenty of superlatives are used to describe how class Padraig Walsh is for example and very few are saying there that its only the league.

I'm sure there are lots of lads in KK saying it - including Tommy Walsh!

I don't tend to into the media hype about Padraig but he is potentially excellent. Progression from underage to Senior hurler at inter county is difficult. Seamie's career is up and down like a yoyo. But, yes, his workrate is up - I just can't help of thinking of last year - missed opportunities and missed frees. The League final was an improvement in terms of frees. I just don't think he is a full forward at this level. Corner or wing.

I just hope he performs - we will need him to. I just won't accept that Seamie is a massive championship player and turned the corner until I see it. Then I'll be delighted. Otherwise it's hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Tipp team v Limerick:Gleeson Barrett P Maher Cahill Barry B Maher O'Mahony Bergin Woodlock G Ryan P Maher O'Dwyer N McGrath Callanan O'Meara

Disappointed to see Denis Maher dropped. Think that's a mistake he's a different kind if hurler and someone that will win his own ball in that half forward line.

I like it - I like the Gar Ryan move- he's a busy hurler with pace and power - get involved - Denis is a nice option off the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

Would you be able to get tickets in thurles tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hector there be plenty of tickets around tomorrow. Ya'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hector122 wrote: »
    Will be no problem getting them at gate.. No issues tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Centra have tickets too, but there shouldn't be any problem buying them at the gate.

He started the 2009 AI final under Sheedy and was first sub introduced in 2010, he scored 5 points between the two finals, I think you are been very hard on him, he is still only 25, you are talking as if has been around for years and contributed nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

You might be better off picking them up in a super valu or a centra. There'll be right que over there for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I just hope he performs - we will need him to. I just won't accept that Seamie is a massive championship player and turned the corner until I see it. Then I'll be delighted. Otherwise it's hype.

Jesus I think you're a bit harsh on him too. I think he's one of our most gifted players. Trouble being that in the 'battles' he sometimes doesn't front up. I've seen him play magnificent stuff over the years in championship. However, the kk games be it league or championship wouldn't be highlights of his career. He needs space which is at a premium in the games against the top oppositions.
    I think a few of us have been critical of him here over the past while, hopefully o Shea brings out the best in him and makes us all eat our words.

Ps was there any truth to the story regarding him and Declan Ryan's bro?

Advertisement