Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Any ideas if the footballers are on TV tonight or anyone got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

digzy wrote: »
    Any ideas if the footballers are on TV tonight or anyone got a link?
    Not a chance. RTE/TG4 have rugby pro12 final on

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lonestar 74

glued wrote: »
    Tipp team v Limerick:Gleeson Barrett P Maher Cahill Barry B Maher O'Mahony Bergin Woodlock G Ryan P Maher O'Dwyer N McGrath Callanan O'Meara

Disappointed to see Denis Maher dropped. Think that's a mistake he's a different kind if hurler and someone that will win his own ball in that half forward line.
    Ya I like the line out. This game is no forgone conclusion and should carry a sever health warning. Limerick have some good hurlers and will be well up for this 1 and get their Munster title defense off to a winning 1. I remember watching them in the warm up before the game last year and thinking they were going to hit the ground running and take the game t Tipp. Our backs are going to have a difficult afternoon and if they can keep the shackles on Hannon, Downs, Tobin and co it'll give us a good chance. Our forwards are going to have to take their chances and give options to the player in possession. Up the Premier (:-)

Super performance by the footballers in Limerick. 2-8 to 6 points so far.

Fúck missed a penalty there. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

2-12 to 0-08 in favour of Tipp so far, can follow it on Twitter https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA

• Advertisement

Not a chance. RTE/TG4 have rugby pro12 final on

Yeah, it's very important to accommodate those rugby supporters who don't have any English. Great win. It's our first Munster championship win for ages

Yeah, it's very important to accommodate those rugby supporters who don't have any English. Great win. It's our first Munster championship win for ages
    Why the childish go's at rugby??
    It was a great win from the reports on twitter...

Why the childish go's at rugby??
    It was a great win from the reports on twitter...

Relax.
    I was simply pointing out the silliness of showing the same game on 2 of the national stations. I watched the rugby on 2 like I assume most did. I suppose the powers that be didn't feel the football match was of sufficient importance unfortunately.

Now pick a fight with someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Well done to the Tipp footballers tonight,great win.Looking forward to our hurlers doing a weekend double over the treaty in Semple tomorrow......up the premier!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Are both terraces open tomorrow ?

• Advertisement

Relax.
    I was simply pointing out the silliness of showing the same game on 2 of the national stations. I watched the rugby on 2 like I assume most did. I suppose the powers that be didn't feel the football match was of sufficient importance unfortunately.

Now pick a fight with someone else!
    Its not silly. Its part of deal that league signed and well thought of part of deal as increases exposure of league in all 4 countries...
    Im not picking a fight with anyone. Game shown on 2 stations is just like champions league games being shown on several stations... part of deal during group stages/league part where games are shown across several channels and all channels get to show the final.
    Assume they will. Any reason why they wouldn't??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well done to Tipp tonight, no complaints from me, ye were the better team for sure. Moved the ball very well, had the support lines in attack worked out to protection and you also had the option of the long ball, the inside line were able to win it one-on-one against their markers.

There was way too much space between our full-back and half-back line, and the likes of Austin and Fox were just tearing through. You also had won most of the breaking ball and high ball.

I'd say we had the majority of possession tbh, but our build-up was too slow, your defence sat deep and we couldn't break it down. The only thing that worked was the direct ball inside to Boris, who did have the beating of his man- won a few frees, but there was a protective screen most of the time. Gearoid Hegarty did make a big impact when he came on, and launched a bit of a comeback, but unless we got another goal, we were never going to pull it back.

I will say that your first goal was very soft, and definitely took the wind out of our sails. Big mix-up in our defence, and Grogan tapped it home. I would have had Austin as your best player, but O'Riordan, Hanningan, O'Brien, Fox, Grogan and Quinlivan were all very good too.

You got a black card early on, you'd think that would have helped us, but no. Key players for us were off-form. I'd say ye'll test Cork, but obviously you want have as much space to attack against them.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Well done to Tipp tonight, no complaints from me, ye were the better team for sure. Moved the ball very well, had the support lines in attack worked out to protection and you also had the option of the long ball, the inside line were able to win it one-on-one against their markers.

There was way too much space between our full-back and half-back line, and the likes of Austin and Fox were just tearing through. You also had won most of the breaking ball and high ball.

I'd say we had the majority of possession tbh, but our build-up was too slow, your defence sat deep and we couldn't break it down. The only thing that worked was the direct ball inside to Boris, who did have the beating of his man- won a few frees, but there was a protective screen most of the time. Gearoid Hegarty did make a big impact when he came on, and launched a bit of a comeback, but unless we got another goal, we were never going to pull it back.

I will say that your first goal was very soft, and definitely took the wind out of our sails. Big mix-up in our defence, and Grogan tapped it home. I would have had Austin as your best player, but O'Riordan, Hanningan, O'Brien, Fox, Grogan and Quinlivan were all very good too.

You got a black card early on, you'd think that would have helped us, but no. Key players for us were off-form. I'd say ye'll test Cork, but obviously you want have as much space to attack against them.

Foxy and Quinlivan were suberb , we should have put Limerick away early in the second half . We will give Cork a good game but we have to take our goal chances when we get them though . It`s a great sign when we could take O`Brien off with 15 minutes to go and have someone on the bench like Cathal Dillon and give him a couple of minutes at the end of the the game . There is a serious panel there now !

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Yes both terraces will be open for this, think its only when they're expecting a crowd of less than 20k that they leave one terrace closed. Should be much more than 20k there today

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Very good win for the footballers, full back line was solid enough despite losing macDonald early with a black card.
    Half back line were outstanding, they all scored from play. Colin o riordan was my man of the match, hard to believe he's doing his leaving cert next week, some athlete.
    We were strong at midfield, was Stephen o briens best performance at senior level i thought. After he went off limerick came back into it a bit, I don't think Seamus grogan is mobile enough for midfield but could do a job in the forwards.
    Fox and especially Austin were real livewires in the half forward line, limerick backs just couldn't keep up with them.
    Barry grogan had a good game, passed the ball around a lot more than usual. Looked unsure prior to the penalty, think he missed another one not so long ago, might be better to let Quinlivan take them.
    On another day we could have had another 3 goals at least, also dropped a few short into keepers hands. O riordan in the first half and grogan in the second had efforts waved wide that both players thought were points. On both occasions the umpires didn't seem to have a clue. For grogans one the umpire on that side nodded to the man with the white to wave it but he just stood there like a statue. Eventually after about 20 seconds of no signal the first umpire reluctantly waved it wide, looked like he was sure it was a point but the man with the flag wouldn't wave it.
    On to cork now and hopefully we'll give them a good game, hard to see us winning. We need to take every chance we get and can't be missing goal chances like we did last night.
    Finally well done to all the squad and management, have trained very hard this year and we seem to be moving up a level, the last 4 years of losing to Kerry in the first round was harsh on them, great to see what can happen with a more favourable draw

Its not silly. Its part of deal that league signed and well thought of part of deal as increases exposure of league in all 4 countries...
    Im not picking a fight with anyone. Game shown on 2 stations is just like champions league games being shown on several stations... part of deal during group stages/league part where games are shown across several channels and all channels get to show the final.
    ?

Are you honestly saying that by putting the game on tg4 as well as rte 2 was "increasing exposure of the league". I doubt there's too many houses in the country who don't have rte 2 but have tg4. Given that they're 'national broadcasters" why don't rte show the munster/Leinster games simultaneously with tg4. It's fairly obvious which channel would have the higher viewership. I find it frustrating that gaa and rugby games are shown in irish, a language a minority understand while if they were in English a vast majority could understand them. Re the champs league, itv pick their exclusive game and sky show the rest bar the final. Tbf sky isn't in every house in the uk as it's subscription based. We all have tg4

Now it took a while for the penny to drop re the ref in the league final...here we go again unfortunately.

Enjoy the game today.

Are you honestly saying that by putting the game on tg4 as well as rte 2 was "increasing exposure of the league". I doubt there's too many houses in the country who don't have rte 2 but have tg4. Given that they're 'national broadcasters" why don't rte show the munster/Leinster games simultaneously with tg4. It's fairly obvious which channel would have the higher viewership. I find it frustrating that gaa and rugby games are shown in irish, a language a minority understand while if they were in English a vast majority could understand them. Re the champs league, itv pick their exclusive game and sky show the rest bar the final. Tbf sky isn't in every house in the uk as it's subscription based. We all have tg4

Now it took a while for the penny to drop re the ref in the league final...here we go again unfortunately.

Enjoy the game today.
    Yes. that's common sense. More channels the game is on the more exposure as there's more chance of game being shown in more homes. I don't see it as frustrating at all as if tg4 didn't show many of the games they do show the games wouldn't be shown at all as RTE/TV3 wouldn't show them.
    And its great games are shown in irish. Only time many people actually listen/hear irish and that's great. No need for the go's at me. So drop the attitude.

Yes. that's common sense. More channels the game is on the more exposure as there's more chance of game being shown in more homes. I don't see it as frustrating at all as if tg4 didn't show many of the games they do show the games wouldn't be shown at all as RTE/TV3 wouldn't show them.
    And its great games are shown in irish. Only time many people actually listen/hear irish and that's great. No need for the go's at me. So drop the attitude.

I'd actually agree that it's better on tg4 than not at all. However, I fail to see the benefit of broadcasting games in a minority language. People won't start speaking it because it was on TV.

Perhaps you might point out where I had a "childish go at rugby"? It's pretty clear my point was regards the simultaneous broadcast. As it happens i actually played the thing until recently enough.
    Where did I have a 'go' at you? You're the only one with the "attitude". As I said already you're deliberately misinterpreting my post re the broadcast of the game to pick an argument.

The point you've made re the simultaneous broadcast on 2 free to air channels is ridiculous. Anyone watching that game watched it on 2 and in hd if they had it. I can't imagine there were too many rugby supporters watching in irish. Tg4 show some fairly low interest gaa club games. I'd imagine there'd be greater interest/viewership in last nights football game. Tbf I don't know if they've the rights to show live championship games. Rte were always going to show the rabo final last night as one would expect.

Now if you want to continue an argument about nothing pm me and save the other posters. It's high time we came back to the Tipp gaa discussion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Since Woodys out, would have started dennis maher and brought gar ryan out to the wing rather than start shane macgrath.

I'd actually agree that it's better on tg4 than not at all. However, I fail to see the benefit of broadcasting games in a minority language. People won't start speaking it because it was on TV.

Perhaps you might point out where I had a "childish go at rugby"? It's pretty clear my point was regards the simultaneous broadcast. As it happens i actually played the thing until recently enough.
    Where did I have a 'go' at you? You're the only one with the "attitude". As I said already you're deliberately misinterpreting my post re the broadcast of the game to pick an argument.

The point you've made re the simultaneous broadcast on 2 free to air channels is ridiculous. Anyone watching that game watched it on 2 and in hd if they had it. I can't imagine there were too many rugby supporters watching in irish. Tg4 show some fairly low interest gaa club games. I'd imagine there'd be greater interest/viewership in last nights football game. Tbf I don't know if they've the rights to show live championship games. Rte were always going to show the rabo final last night as one would expect.

Now if you want to continue an argument about nothing pm me and save the other posters. It's high time we came back to the Tipp gaa discussion thread.
    Coverage of games in Irish is better than nothing and people will by just hearing more of the language be more understanding of the language(that's fairly easy to comprehend). accommodating rugby supporters who don't have irish et al was where I had an issue...
    Im not deliberately picking an argument at all
    Point made about simultaneous argument Is not ridiculous. More coverage on more channels leads to greater share overall of viewers...
    RTE were always going to show the rugby as were TG4 as per contract they signed for rights to the competition.

Intermediate Semi-Final Result - Tipperary 3-17 Limerick 1-22 AET
    Good to see Intermediates into final in few weeks time

• Advertisement

2 points down while not playing great. Backs fouling too much, callinan found wanting on a few occasions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Tactics all wrong and EOS didn't change it up. Really disappointing display today. Loads of poor performances but trying Bonner as a full forward for the first half was an incredibly stupid decision.

Really need to regroup and look at some guys that haven't been doing it for Tipp in the Championship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

We didn't deserve to be that close. We wasted so many chances for goals by trying to walk it in. Stuck in traffic getting out at the moment but it was an embarrassment to be outnumbered by limerick supporters in our own stadium, shocking turnout from tipp supporters.

glued wrote: »
    Tactics all wrong and EOS didn't change it up. Really disappointing display today. Loads of poor performances but trying Bonner as a full forward for the first half was an incredibly stupid decision.

Really need to regroup and look at some guys that haven't been doing it for Tipp in the Championship.

Woodlock was badly missed I felt, stupid decision to play Shane McGrath, hes past it.

With all the frees we conceded, we still created more than enough chances to win it, the lack of composure our forwards showed today was very disappointing, wasted some great goal chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Huge pressure on EOS now. Very disappointing. Seemed to underestimate Limerick. They simply wanted it more. Ran more, worked harder ran faster.
    Some very strange decisions on the line.
    Haven't won a championship game since 2012...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm sure there are lots of lads in KK saying it - including Tommy Walsh!

I don't tend to into the media hype about Padraig but he is potentially excellent. Progression from underage to Senior hurler at inter county is difficult. Seamie's career is up and down like a yoyo. But, yes, his workrate is up - I just can't help of thinking of last year - missed opportunities and missed frees. The League final was an improvement in terms of frees. I just don't think he is a full forward at this level. Corner or wing.

I just hope he performs - we will need him to. I just won't accept that Seamie is a massive championship player and turned the corner until I see it. Then I'll be delighted. Otherwise it's hype.

I'm so sorry! What a I disaster. We came back from the cork defeat in 2010 but it's hard to see us going too far this year. Given it was the same opposition as last year and all we'd heard about was this game for the last 9 months, you'd think that if we were to loose today it wouldn't be from a lack of desire.

Fair play to limerick, best team won. They won't go too far either I'd say. The ref made a poor call on their disallowed goal.

Could our keeper have done more for either goal?

Well folks that was a very very disheartening performance.

Firstly take nothing away from Limerick they were well and truly up for this and arguably should have scored more then their final tally. The disallowed goal looked very harsh to me in real time at least but i havent had the benefit of tv replay yet.

But we were guilty of wasting opportunities ourselves. Callanan who let those who were foolish enough to have faith in him down with a bang, had a man roaring for it in space and went for his own goal and got blocked down. Bonnar squandered another chance. Poor wides drove at a vital time.

We were caught YET AGAIN not marking up from a sideline. And very guilty of leaving Limerick players unmarked all over the field. Downes looked a threat on a one on one with Paudie all game and here we were like a couple of absolute tits leaving wingbacks and midfielders unmarked in order to play the perfect ball into him. Will we ever ever fúcking never learn?

At the end of the day, despite an inept performance we only lost by two points but im so unoptimistic at this point we may have lost by twenty two. What looked so promising a few weeks ago has gone completely to shít. Id be very very critical of O'Shea's omission of Denis Maher. Denis will feel extremely hard done by at having a very good form coming into this game and then being dropped today. As for the other few....too many piano players and not enough lifters. The battlers, Bonnar, Gar and NOM all played well but the fancy Dans took a hiatus yet again.

varberg wrote: »
    Since Woodys out, would have started dennis maher and brought gar ryan out to the wing rather than start shane macgrath.

Woody was a big big loss today but i have to say Shane McGrath played reasonably well. I will say though that Bergin who is normally solid, had an off day.

A bit off topic lads, but could anyone tell me what the moment of silence was for at the start of the match.
    Was watching it with the father and heard the name Nealon mentioned - anyone able to help me out here?

• Advertisement

Ompala wrote: »
    A bit off topic lads, but could anyone tell me what the moment of silence was for at the start of the match.
    Was watching it with the father and heard the name Nealon mentioned - anyone able to help me out here?

Donie Nealons wife passed away. RIP

Advertisement