Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Sh1t or bust time for this Tipp team,also management will know if this game is lost their out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I think Michael Fennelly was a big loss to KK against Galway - he could be asked to fill center back before the summer is out yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Mick Fennelly is a huge loss for them, he had Shane McGrath and many others in his pocket over the years and dominates midfield. Usually contributes 1 or 2 points from play too.

I think Tipp will likely beat Galway if they get them, very strong record against em too. If it is KK then prob 60:40 in KK's favour.
    KK can't afford to lose either Richie Hogan or TJ Reid though, they are so important to their game these days.

Richie Hogan has been head and shoulders their best player this year - that's a player that teams should be making plans for - he is scoring 4 and 5 points from play a game - he's worth man marking - does a lot of damage

Not to mention scoring important goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Not to mention scoring important goals

Ya he's their playmaker in chief great at reading the breaking ball,Very accurate with his point taking to

Sky sports will be showing the Tipp V KK/Galway game it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Getting a right roasting in the intermediate against Cork tonight :(

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Getting a right roasting in the intermediate against Cork tonight :(

Ouch. A roasting alright. Still we've had a good run in that competition.

Would prefer if that particular competition was revamped to include the likes of Carlow, Kerry, Westmeath and perhaps one or two other Christy Ring teams who are out of action for the rest of the summer. Bring a bit of life into it perhaps.

And I think there should be no limitations on who you should pick as long as they didnt appear in the Senior, u21 or Minor hurling championship for the county in the championship the same year. Better standard and a true development squad for the senior managers to work with. If they wish then they can draft as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Football Qualifier Update: Group A: Wicklow, Laois, Longford and Limerick will be drawn against Sligo, Tipperary and Antrim and the losers of Sunday's clash between Dublin and Wexford. Group B: The winners of the four qualifying matches on Saturday night between Tyrone/Louth, Down/Leitrim, Waterford/Carlow and Cavan/Westmeath will be drawn against Clare, Roscommon and the losers of Kildare/Meath and Monaghan/Armagh.

Hope to avoid Laois but glad to avoid Down, Cavan and Tyrone, would very tough games for Tipp.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Well said Liam Sheedy.

Interesting that he has taken a few squad sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

God I miss Sheedy.. His presence on the sideline was inspiring compared to Ó Sheás which seems to have brought a sort of lethargy/apathy among some of the squad..
    I've been defending Ó Shéa from the first but the results during his tenure speak for themselves...

GerB40 wrote: »
    God I miss Sheedy.. His presence on the sideline was inspiring compared to Ó Sheás which seems to have brought a sort of lethargy/apathy among some of the squad..
    I've been defending Ó Shéa from the first but the results during his tenure speak for themselves...

Ya here here sheedy was like a tense tiger prowling the sidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

buggy beag wrote: »
    Ya here here sheedy was like a tense tiger prowling the sidelines

I second that.

Sheedy was always full of passion, had a never say die attitude and never backed down from a fight. It seemed to fuel the players like nothing else.

He knew a good crop of the players coming from Minor in 06/07 and helped them make the transition to senior very quickly.

What I would give to have the man back, Tipp haven't been the same since he left.

The same apathy/lethargy has been there under successive managers. It's the players. I disagreed with O'Shea's squad choices - particularly this year - and his team selections. Substitutions. But he can only deal with what he has...
    He certainly hasn't proved to be a manager with the midas touch...

But these players...how people can leave the blame firmly at the door of the manager - year after year - don't forget people were calling for Sheehy's head after they were beaten in the first round before going on to win it...

The players over the years have just not been as good as the best team in the country or as committed. That's just the way it has been. When Clare and Offaly were dominating - we were second fiddle in the 90s - then it was cork then it was kk - when will this second fiddleness end.....obviously not enough ground work being done...

Don't forget Sheedy left...his choice...

maybe he knew they had shot their bolt...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ompala wrote: »
    I second that.

Sheedy was always full of passion, had a never say die attitude and never backed down from a fight. It seemed to fuel the players like nothing else.

He knew a good crop of the players coming from Minor in 06/07 and helped them make the transition to senior very quickly.

What I would give to have the man back, Tipp haven't been the same since he left.
    Sheedy wasnt the coach he was because of those factors like "Passion" etc and Passion doesn't win you anything. Tipp have not been the same since he left but the reason he succeeded was he built up a clinical team where everyone knew their role and knew what to do and when to fo it. Their is an uncertainty around players now and lack of confidence.
    The same apathy/lethargy has been there under successive managers. It's the players. I disagreed with O'Shea's squad choices - particularly this year - and his team selections. Substitutions. But he can only deal with what he has...
    He certainly hasn't proved to be a manager with the midas touch...

But these players...how people can leave the blame firmly at the door of the manager - year after year - don't forget people were calling for Sheehy's head after they were beaten in the first round before going on to win it...

The players over the years have just not been as good as the best team in the country or as committed. That's just the way it has been. When Clare and Offaly were dominating - we were second fiddle in the 90s - then it was cork then it was kk - when will this second fiddleness end.....obviously not enough ground work being done...
    The players are not good enough possibly. Is club championships and its format etc not helping produce the players? We have way too many senior clubs and while attempts are being made to reduce the number of senior clubs should more be done to make stronger club championships/?

Sheedy wasnt the coach he was because of those factors like "Passion" etc and Passion doesn't win you anything. Tipp have not been the same since he left but the reason he succeeded was he built up a clinical team where everyone knew their role and knew what to do and when to fo it. Their is an uncertainty around players now and lack of confidence.

The players are not good enough possibly. Is club championships and its format etc not helping produce the players? We have way too many senior clubs and while attempts are being made to reduce the number of senior clubs should more be done to make stronger club championships/?

True it doesn't, but you can't say Ryan or O Shea showed passion to anywhere near the same level. Interviews with Ryan after matches were particularly dull. It might not win you anything, but you have to have passion, hunger etc. in order to win.

Undoubtedly the team of 09/10 were clinical. If they had gotten the goal chances we created vs Limerick on June 1st we would be in a Munster Final now. Of that I am certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Undoubtedly the team of 09/10 were clinical. If they had gotten the goal chances we created vs Limerick on June 1st we would be in a Munster Final now. Of that I am certain.

Missed goal chances cost us the All-Ireland in 2009 and made an All-Star out of PJ Ryan.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Missed goal chances cost us the All-Ireland in 2009 and made an All-Star out of PJ Ryan.

To be fair to PJ Ryan his save from Callanan was top drawer. Arguably Seamie could have took it further but it was a game where you had little time on the ball up to that point so perhaps he felt he had to be decisive there and then. Eoin then slipped for the second chance. A real pity but thats the game for you

robbiezero wrote: »

Was pretty much going to say the same as below tbh, and remember that team put 6 past Limerick in the Semi.
    To be fair to PJ Ryan his save from Callanan was top drawer. Arguably Seamie could have took it further but it was a game where you had little time on the ball up to that point so perhaps he felt he had to be decisive there and then. Eoin then slipped for the second chance. A real pity but thats the game for you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

True it doesn't, but you can't say Ryan or O Shea showed passion to anywhere near the same level. Interviews with Ryan after matches were particularly dull. It might not win you anything, but you have to have passion, hunger etc. in order to win.

So what that they held dull interviews that doesn't impact their ability to coach teams to win games. It doesn't mean they didn't have passion and all that crap.

How do people think the club games will go this weekend? North Championship quarters?? Burgess/Moneygall and Nenagh/Kiladangan

So what that they held dull interviews that doesn't impact their ability to coach teams to win games. It doesn't mean they didn't have passion and all that crap.

How do people think the club games will go this weekend? North Championship quarters?? Burgess/Moneygall and Nenagh/Kiladangan

But is that Not the problem the team.isn't winning games so there Not coaching the team to win games.if your looking over at your manager And he's standing doing nothing it doesn't really inspire You out on the field.it might work for some teams Not for us i think we need sumone to be firing us up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The toilet facilities in the old stand in Sample Stadium are not adequate. Partly contributing to the above are late throw ins and drink being served in the stadium.

Maybe same applies to the new stand?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    The toilet facilities in the old stand in Sample Stadium are not adequate. Partly contributing to the above are late throw ins and drink being served in the stadium.

Maybe same applies to the new stand?

I suppose you wouldn't exactly expect top quality from GAA stadiums outside Dublin to begin with but given the deficit between Croker and the rest of the country you wouldnt think that Thurles being the second biggest ground and also a regular hoster of Munster hurling finals amongst other major games would be so bad.

Eaten apples are soon forgotten...

Does anybody remember the role that O'Shea played in 2010? Does anybody remember how the players spoke of him? At the delight of him getting the job among the players?

He's brought in Ken Hogan, he brought in McGeeney (failure or whatever it is - a small role), he's brought in Sheedy...he's open to new voices and techniques - this is not a man who is trying to do everything himself - he's trying everything...

I might not agree with his selections or tactics - but I respect the man and I certainly don't blame him if Tipp don't win the AL - buck stops with him - but there are things beyond his control - if players heads are not right....not committed who is to blame?

I'll think we'll win the next game through passion alone - when does tipp lose two championship games on the bounce at home in Thurles...(last year both games were away...) - serious **** if it happens two years in a row - you may redo the foundations, sir!!!

Eaten apples are soon forgotten...

Does anybody remember the role that O'Shea played in 2010? Does anybody remember how the players spoke of him? At the delight of him getting the job among the players?

He's brought in Ken Hogan, he brought in McGeeney (failure or whatever it is - a small role), he's brought in Sheedy...he's open to new voices and techniques - this is not a man who is trying to do everything himself - he's trying everything...

I might not agree with his selections or tactics - but I respect the man and I certainly don't blame him if Tipp don't win the AL - buck stops with him - but there are things beyond his control - if players heads are not right....not committed who is to blame?

I'll think we'll win the next game through passion alone - when does tipp lose two championship games on the bounce at home in Thurles...(last year both games were away...) - serious **** if it happens two years in a row - you may redo the foundations, sir!!!

Thats true. One panellist in particular told me 'he was the only man for the job' but Im beginning to wonder if their delight was based on him perhaps being too laid back and relaxed. Maybe they see him as a pushover and judging by one or two of their shabby performances it could prove the basis of a strong argument.

As for getting through on passion alone....its the one (perhaps arguably most important ingredient were missing). Last year apparently some of the lads were looking forward to being knocked out so they could head off to America for the summer. I know its only an amateur game and all but if this is true then that is an abysmal attitude to have. The first day you bring that attitude into the camp is the day you've given your lot for Tipp hurling and its high time to call it a day and let hungrier players come in

• Advertisement

And if they view him as a pushover who is to blame there? Whose attitude is that?

Advertisement