Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

And if they view him as a pushover who is to blame there? Whose attitude is that?

Primarily the players ET, although the manager needs to assert control at the same time. If the likes of Cody was Tipp manager he would have sent many of our lads packing. Sheedy to be fair to him also accepted nothing but the best. O'Sheas one foible is his loyalty - loyalty to players that have fundamentally failed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Galway it is so.kilkenny wit 8 to spare

buggy beag wrote: »
    Galway it is so.kilkenny wit 8 to spare

Galway highly indisciplined it would seem although a few giving out about the ref too.

They have three games under the belt to our one but hopefully will be disconsolate after today as we know Galway can tend to do be after a defeat. However i think it will a tough proposition and they are due a win on us.

Galway highly indisciplined it would seem although a few giving out about the ref too.

They have three games under the belt to our one but hopefully will be disconsolate after today as we know Galway can tend to do be after a defeat. However i think it will a tough proposition and they are due a win on us.

Will they bring a big crowd i wonder seeing as its an evening game

Will they bring a big crowd i wonder seeing as its an evening game

I wondered the same thing myself Buggy and to be honest i cant really see them doing so.

Tbf it would be very hard for them to turn up that time of evening and then take the long journey home around 8 or 9, especially people with children. They might surprise me and turn up in droves but i expect us to outnumber them. Hopefully we can outnumber them on the scoreboard but thats all i really have - hope.

• Advertisement

I wondered the same thing myself Buggy and to be honest i cant really see them doing so.

Tbf it would be very hard for them to turn up that time of evening and then take the long journey home around 8 or 9, especially people with children. They might surprise me and turn up in droves but i expect us to outnumber them. Hopefully we can outnumber them on the scoreboard but thats all i really have - hope.

Ya to true pal to true might even have a cheeky prayer haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

But is that Not the problem the team.isn't winning games so there Not coaching the team to win games.if your looking over at your manager And he's standing doing nothing it doesn't really inspire You out on the field.it might work for some teams Not for us i think we need sumone to be firing us up
    You shouldn't be looking over at your coach to inspire you. If you are looking to the side-line for inspiration then why are you on the pitch. Look to your team mates and those who'll be doing the work on the pitch as they are the one's who have to do it.
    The players are not firing at all yet coaching set up getting so much blame. While they are at some fault the players have to take majority of blame as its been similar under several different coaching set ups

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There will be 15000 at most.Tipp supporters have been woeful in recent times

You shouldn't be looking over at your coach to inspire you. If you are looking to the side-line for inspiration then why are you on the pitch. Look to your team mates and those who'll be doing the work on the pitch as they are the one's who have to do it.
    The players are not firing at all yet coaching set up getting so much blame. While they are at some fault the players have to take majority of blame as its been similar under several different coaching set ups

The current set up And the declan ryan/tommy dunne set up have been the only set ups since sheedys tenure so several there hasn't been.yes agreed that once the players cross that white line its primarily their function to get the job done but if your short on leaders on the field then the manager has got to be doing some inspiring from the sideline he is the general of the troops.I've loads of time for eos i just wish he was a bit more ruthless an vocal at times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Hopefully we can get a good crowd out for it. A sunny evening combined with the game being on sky rather than Rte could give it a boost. We badly need to get behind the team though. We were dreadful in the first game. I felt like I was in the gaelic grounds we were so outnumbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

I see mention on the Galway Gaa thread of a "trimming" (their words, not mine!!)they gave Tipp in a challenge game a few weeks ago. Apologies if I missed it here but any info out there of how that match went, were both teams at full strength? Any other pointers for game next Sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Conelan wrote: »
    I see mention on the Galway Gaa thread of a "trimming" (their words, not mine!!)they gave Tipp in a challenge game a few weeks ago. Apologies if I missed it here but any info out there of how that match went, were both teams at full strength? Any other pointers for game next Sat?

All I know about it was that they stuck in 3-27 against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

There will be 15000 at most.Tipp supporters have been woeful in recent times

Attendance is a function of a teams success generally. Success has many fathers. One thing that will p1ss off supporters is a perceived lack of effort. I think most of us here bemoaned the application levels of some players.
    We all heard about the big attendances watching the cats training in Nolan park.
    There wouldn't be too many if they were as successful as us
    When the team delivers the support will return.

Funnily enough, Any time we played in Croke park when I was there we outnumbered the cats by at least 2 to 1. So you'd wonder how many of their fans would show up if they had a few years in the doldrums.

digzy wrote: »
    Attendance is a function of a teams success generally. Success has many fathers. One thing that will p1ss off supporters is a perceived lack of effort. I think most of us here bemoaned the application levels of some players.
    We all heard about the big attendances watching the cats training in Nolan park.
    There wouldn't be too many if they were as successful as us
    When the team delivers the support will return.

Funnily enough, Any time we played in Croke park when I was there we outnumbered the cats by at least 2 to 1. So you'd wonder how many of their fans would show up if they had a few years in the doldrums.

In fairness Digzy, the attendance against Limerick was poor despite being on the back of a whole hearted display in the league final. My opinion is that the supporters thought, 'We'll hold off til the Munster final'. Personally I couldnt forsee a defeat to Limerick, at home, 2 years on the spin.

Tipp fans have been known to fall into that trap (as tbf others have also but we've been caught more times then i can remember) .

I can remember them anticipating a cake walk against Dublin back in 2011. People had got carried away after we tonked Waterford in the Munster final. Very nearly backfired not that the supporters can ever do alot about whats going on on the pitch but as Lar Corbett said its very hard to become mentally tuned in for a match when people are continously telling you 'ye'll win handy'. Adds that extra pressure and creates anxiety all round when things are not going well. In addition, its rocket fuel to the opposition.

I would agree though that winning teams have the snowball effect of gaining support too. Take our minor football team for example. I dont buy into the argument that we are only a hurling county as Westside and others suggested. We outnumbered the Dublin, Cork and Meath fans back in Portlaoise in 2011 and brought a huge number to the semi and final that year. Its a case of 'if you build it they will come'. Had we beaten Cork last week, i feel we could have brought a decent crowd to the Munster final which probably would have been in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just wondering about Sturdays team, would ye start Noel Mcgrath?
    Based on his championship form(as opposed to what he is capable of doing)over the past 3 or 4 championship games I don't think he could be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got Longford in the football draw. They're a decent team but no reason why we cannot go and beat them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Got Longford in the football draw. They're a decent team but no reason why we can put go and beat them.

Is that home or away do You know?

Just wondering about Sturdays team, would ye start Noel Mcgrath?
    Based on his championship form(as opposed to what he is capable of doing)over the past 3 or 4 championship games I don't think he could be selected.

Id agree with you. Time to drop him

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

Matthew Ryan [Templederry]

Barrett--- Breen [Ballina]---- Cahill
    Barry-- John Meagher [Loughmore]--- Paudie Maher

Brendan Maher-- Noel McGrath [Woodlock/ Ronan Maher]

Gearoid Ryan---- Bonnar Maher--- Niall O Meara
    Denis Maher-- John O Dwyer--- Seamus Callinan. /[Adrian Ryan]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

My guess is you're a Templederry man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

I would love to see John Meagher on that team, but my heart goes out to the lad because he is possibly the most unlucky hurler in the county with injuries!

Agree we should drop McGrath, he had an unholy nightmare against Limerick.

Callanan did well to get on the ball in the Limerick match, but his shot selection was woeful (which seemed a general theme in that match)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

All-Ireland SFC qualifiers Round 2A

Wexford v Laois
    Tipperary v Longford
    Limerick v Antrim
    Wicklow v Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

My guess is you're a Templederry man!!!

No--- Borrisoleigh actually-- but I have a fondness for Templederry hurlers I'll admit.

I think that Gleeson, and Egan certainly, are not county standard. Young Logue from Ballingarry didn't impress me as an u21. On the basis that the heart and committment of any Annacarty player ever could never be questioned, I wouldn't say no to young Mooney. And that Fox chap isn't a bad hurler either.
    Gallagher who plays centre forward for Kiladangan, I like his style but is he much different to a lot of what we have already. Colin O Riordan is a fine hurler, strong, and good in the air. --I suppose what is really wanted is another Eoin Kelly but from what I've seen on the club scene, I think we'll be waiting another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I read that 5 or 6 players have left the Tipp hurling panel? Any truth to that?

And have they been replaced?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I read that 5 or 6 players have left the Tipp hurling panel? Any truth to that?

And have they been replaced?

Source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Source for that?

No credible source, just some user on hoganstand, not sure of his track record... that's why I came here for verification.

The names mentioned were Eoin Kelly, Paul Curran, Jason Forde, Conor Kenny & Michael Breen. Not on hoganstand myself, but sometimes read it to see what the opposition are thinking :P

EDIT- Oh, and it should be mentioned that he said they were cut from the panel, rather than they walked out.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No credible source, just some user on hoganstand, not sure of his track record... that's why I came here for verification.

The names mentioned were Eoin Kelly, Paul Curran, Jason Forde, Conor Kenny & Michael Breen. Not on hoganstand myself, but sometimes read it to see what the opposition are thinking :P

Right, fair enough. Didnt hear anything to be honest. Where is Premierstone with all the inside track when you need him eh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Sounds like a load of...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Is the football a double header with the hurling next Saturday night ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

tippspur wrote: »
    Is the football a double header with the hurling next Saturday night ?
    Yes
    Football 4.45
    Hurling 7

Advertisement