Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Sounds like a load of...

You're allowed say it evolving tipperary, it sounds like a load of shyte. Probably someone who wants to sounds like they have the "inside scoop" so if any of those players do get dropped they can say I told you so.
    Where is premierstone? Surely he can enlighten us...

tippspur wrote: »
    Is the football a double header with the hurling next Saturday night ?

It is indeed. For season ticket holders that's a mere €10 for two do-or-die championship games. Bargain. A football win would be the ideal tonic for the hurlers as it would get the crowd pumped and confident (should they actually bother showing up)

As for Fireballs post earlier, it appears the rumour is seemingly true. The latest i have on it is that the panel have been cut to 26 and that 6 have been culled. Eoin, Thomas Hamill, Paul Curran, Michael Breen, Conor Kenny and Jason Forde have been cut but may be added again if Tipp win. I think there is an official requirement from the county board to management to cut the panel at a certain stage prior to matches as a cost cutting measure. I could be wrong but that is the story i got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

. I think there is an official requirement from the county board to management to cut the panel at a certain stage prior to matches as a cost cutting measure. I could be wrong but that is the story i got.

If true it's a sad end to the career of our greatest player of his generation, eoin Kelly. Just curious but does this culling go on in other counties. I'd find it strange that lads would be cut like this. Surely the cost of the 6 couldn't be that much? They've the gear already and food /expenses for another 2.5 months-hopefully- wouldn't be that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I read that 5 or 6 players have left the Tipp hurling panel? Any truth to that?

And have they been replaced?
    Yeah 5/6 gone from squad. Don't see much issue with it. Don't see need for such a wide squad and if more are needed you can always add 1/2 when required
    digzy wrote: »
    If true it's a sad end to the career of our greatest player of his generation, eoin Kelly. Just curious but does this culling go on in other counties. I'd find it strange that lads would be cut like this. Surely the cost of the 6 couldn't be that much? They've the gear already and food /expenses for another 2.5 months-hopefully- wouldn't be that much?
    Costs for food etc for perhaps 2 months and there would be extra gear over that time would add up especially for 6 players

digzy wrote: »

Just thinking today, You have testimonials in soccer but in hurling you have guys who are amateurs that give everything for years without a cent in return. There should be some sort of testimonial for hurlers considering the joy they give to supporters and the knocks they take, both physcially and mentally.

We might have seen Eoin Kelly and Paul Curran for the last time on a Tipperary panel which is extremely sad given what both have given the cause. Brendan Cummins the same.

When you think of pro athletes in soccer on huge wages being made god for a night its tragic way of dividing things.

Even if the hurler kept most of the proceeds from that night it might go some way of making up for the slaps of hurleys across the body taken throughout a career. I feel priveleged in particular that I witnessed both of these fantastic two men and that they represented my club and still continue to do so with distinction. Even looking over the border in Kilkenny and all the jubilation they received from the likes of Shefflin, DJ Carey, etc over the years it would make you think how sad it is that some just go quietly into the night when they retire. If you have over 40 appearances for your county then you have something right and should get a proper chance to say goodbye to the supporters.

• Advertisement

Just thinking today, You have testimonials in soccer but in hurling you have guys who are amateurs that give everything for years without a cent in return. There should be some sort of testimonial for hurlers considering the joy they give to supporters and the knocks they take, both physcially and mentally.

We might have seen Eoin Kelly and Paul Curran for the last time on a Tipperary panel which is extremely sad given what both have given the cause. Brendan Cummins the same.

When you think of pro athletes in soccer on huge wages being made god for a night its tragic way of dividing things.

Even if the hurler kept most of the proceeds from that night it might go some way of making up for the slaps of hurleys across the body taken throughout a career. I feel priveleged in particular that I witnessed both of these fantastic two men and that they represented my club and still continue to do so with distinction. Even looking over the border in Kilkenny and all the jubilation they received from the likes of Shefflin, DJ Carey, etc over the years it would make you think how sad it is that some just go quietly into the night when they retire. If you have over 40 appearances for your county then you have something right and should get a proper chance to say goodbye to the supporters.
    Maybe but just don't see it happening.
    Pro rugby players etc don't have reliable job prospects after their career as player and a limited time as a player and all but a small few have to go into another career once they finish playing and don't get testimonials. Hurlers/Gaelic footballers will have been in a career working most/all of their career as a player and will continue in that career. Not at all denying that players make huge sacrifices to play inter county but its very different to finishing playing pro rugby/soccer etc.
    Perhaps 1 of the pre championship warm up friendlies or pre season friendlies right before Waterford Crystal games the year after a player has retired some of gate given to player who's retired? But specific game not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

When did this cut happen? In the last two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'd play Bergin at wing back instead of O'Mahoney, midfield doesn't suit him and the game passes him by at times. He was solid on the wing last year for us

There's no way I'd replace O'M with Bergin - Bergin has never performed to a level in a championship game to date to justify that

• Advertisement

Maybe it is true - it's not unusual to trim squads - I know Kelly's days are before him - but, if it's true, he's a huge figure in Tipp hurling and we could do with such experienced voices in the dressing room. I'd include Curran in that too

If Sheedy and Ken Hogan are around the squad now...there should be a room for the voice of Eoin Kelly

The best motivation speech Joe Canning will ever get for this weekend:

http://balls.ie/gaa/ger-loughnane-harsh-words-joe-canning/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

You could kind of regard the Ken Mcgrath All Star Challenge last Saturday as a send off for a lot of past players. Cummins played the second half and unfortunately let in 4 goals (though the backline did nothing for him). I agree that maybe do some sort of testimonial for past players, it was good seeing all the old all star lads from the last 10 years on a pitch at one time. Though the skill level was a bit lacking.

Yeah 5/6 gone from squad. Don't see much issue with it. Don't see need for such a wide squad and if more are needed you can always add 1/2 when required

Costs for food etc for perhaps 2 months and there would be extra gear over that time would add up especially for 6 players

How much would it add up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Previous posts jog my memory a bit to reflect on the subject of gratitude in respect to players who retire or are dropped from the panel after many years of terrific service to the county.

As far as Brendan Cummins is concerned timing was good..........and you would expect that from a goalkeeper.

I would like to see Eoin Kelly setting himself the goal of Minor or Intermediate or Under 21 Hurling manager in the near future.

Thanks to all who are leaving the Panel now and I take this opportunity to wish them the very best for the future.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Too much talk from this tipp camp altogether - just perform - how can a team who has lost as many championship games in a row as the current tipp team be serious contenders....are these lads for real? - the task is simple - give 100% percent - no talk no titles no bull****

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamon-oshea-players-determined-to-do-themselves-justice-30399801.html

Too much talk from this tipp camp altogether - just perform - how can a team who has lost as many championship games in a row as the current tipp team be serious contenders....are these lads for real? - the task is simple - give 100% percent - no talk no titles no bull****

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamon-oshea-players-determined-to-do-themselves-justice-30399801.html

Well to be fair, the media have to get their pound of flesh (in the form of soundbytes) in the week of a do or die game.

I just cant see though how he claims that Tipp became 'anxious' and 'nervous' the closing stages. I mean we are not an inexperienced side at this stage. We have won four Munster's and an All Ireland. Limerick put the squeeze on us and a few of our lads ran, its as simple as that. I hope O'Shea isn't relaying what he is saying in the press to the players.

That's true but there is a way to play the media too. He should be downplaying the players chances - taking the pressure off - you get no sense of the crisis within Tipp senior hurling at present - we could be about to lose five championship games in a row...FIVE...that's rock bottom stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That man is deluded

Seven Worlds will Collide

Tipp have spent a weekend training in Carton House since their two-point loss to Limerick.

They played Galway in a behind-closed-doors challenge game less than three weeks ago, on a Tuesday night in Salthill, when Lar Corbett scored 2-3 but he has been troubled by a knee injury since which has lessened his chance of starting.

Conor O'Brien (dead leg) and Niall O'Meara (ankle) picked up knocks in the past week but both are expected to be available.

Galway spirits may be down after their replay loss last Saturday but a new county supporters' club called 'Tribesmengaa' was launched in the city last night.

The county previously had separate supporters' clubs for their hurlers and footballers but this new body, which can be joined online, is a new entity to cover all Galway GAA activities and is being chaired by Padraig O Ceidigh.
    - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/james-woodlock-back-to-lift-premier-as-rising-star-ronan-maher-set-for-summer-debut-30396125.html#sthash.SPDfLf0E.dpuf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I can't see anything wrong with what O' Shea said.As long as the players are kept away from the media in the days leading up to a big game that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just looking at the odds on p power who have us odds on favourites at 1/2 while Galway are big outsiders at 15/8.

Would love to know how the bookies have come up with those odds considering that we haven't won a championship game since 2012.

Our footballers are also odds on favourites at 8/11 while Longford are 11/8. I know that they performed very well against Cork but Longford beat a decent Derry side who had been in the league final. Maybe home advantage is the reason but I find those odds strange.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just looking at the odds on p power who have us odds on favourites at 1/2 while Galway are big outsiders at 15/8.

Would love to know how the bookies have come up with those odds considering that we haven't won a championship game since 2012.

Our footballers are also odds on favourites at 8/11 while Longford are 11/8. I know that they performed very well against Cork but Longford beat a decent Derry side who had been in the league final. Maybe home advantage is the reason but I find those odds strange.

Mental odds. Tipp and Galway are too very similar teams in terms of ability and mindset. Apart from home advantage, i cannot think of anything else that could be in our favour. Home advantage could also prove an extra pressure and a burden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mental odds. Tipp and Galway are too very similar teams in terms of ability and mindset. Apart from home advantage, i cannot think of anything else that could be in our favour. Home advantage could also prove an extra pressure and a burden

Timing I would think is a big advantage. Galway 1 week to recover for a fairly major loss and playing for the 3rd time in 3 weeks.
    Tipp with 5 weeks break, should be rearing to go.
    It is possible the extra matches may help Galway, but the football qualifiers more so than the hurling have shown that the team out again a week after losing is at a major disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Who will be the 6 forwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Just wondering with regard to cutting the squad down to 26... I know counties do do that, but what happens if someone gets injured? You have 26 in your match day panel... bringing in someone from outside is hardly ideal really, is it? Would it not be better just to keep 30 or whatever, and pick the matchday panel.

I know Limerick had a 28-man panel for most of John Allen's Championship tenure; the current one must be over 30. There'd always be a couple of injuries, and people sitting out sessions and stuff.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Just wondering with regard to cutting the squad down to 26... I know counties do do that, but what happens if someone gets injured? You have 26 in your match day panel... bringing in someone from outside is hardly ideal really, is it? Would it not be better just to keep 30 or whatever, and pick the matchday panel.

I know Limerick had a 28-man panel for most of John Allen's Championship tenure; the current one must be over 30. There'd always be a couple of injuries, and people sitting out sessions and stuff.
    If an injury you may call someone up but you don't have to depending on position, what cover you have for that position. Bringing someone in is fine and not exactly troublesome regarding preparation is it?
    EOS clearly knows his squad and can just work with that group towards the next game and preparation is easier for him I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Tipp team v Galway: Gleeson Barrett P Maher Cahill Barry O'Mahony B Maher R Maher Woodlock G Ryan P Maher O'Dwyer N McGrath Callanan Corbett

Brendan and COM swap positions. Ronan Maher gets his debut and Corbett is in for O'Meara.

H'on Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

glued wrote: »
    Tipp team v Galway: Gleeson Barrett P Maher Cahill Barry O'Mahony B Maher R Maher Woodlock G Ryan P Maher O'Dwyer N McGrath Callanan Corbett

Brendan and COM swap positions. Ronan Maher gets his debut and Corbett is in for O'Meara.

H'on Tipp

happy enough with that team bar maybe noel mcgrath dont think he deserves his place but then again he could end up having an unbeliveable game thats just the way he is.is o meara injured?

• Advertisement

buggy beag wrote: »
    happy enough with that team bar maybe noel mcgrath dont think he deserves his place but then again he could end up having an unbeliveable game thats just the way he is.is o meara injured?

I know I'll get shot for this but I can't agree with bringing lar for o meara. Lars best days are well behind him.

Advertisement