Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

digzy wrote: »
    I know I'll get shot for this but I can't agree with bringing lar for o meara. Lars best days are well behind him.
    I would agree with you a small bit,it's disappointing that young lads like Dennis Maher and Niall O Meara are not in the team and we still have to rely on the old guard,hopefully Lar and the rest of them will prove us wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Same Team that played Cork :

1 Paul Fitzgearld
    2 Ger Mulhair
    3 Paddy Codd (Captain)
    4 Ciaran McDonald
    5 Colin O Riordan
    6 Robbie Kiely
    7 Peter Acheson
    8 Steven O Brien
    9 George Hannigan
    10 Philip Austin
    11 Ian Fahey
    12 Brian Fox
    13 Conor Sweeney
    14 Michael Quinlivan
    15 Barry Grogan

digzy wrote: »
    I know I'll get shot for this but I can't agree with bringing lar for o meara. Lars best days are well behind him.

Yeah i think Lar might have a better part to play from off the bench. Think both Niall and Denis can feel very hard done by. Both great ball winners. Denis height and aerial ability is a big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Yeah i think Lar might have a better part to play from off the bench. Think both Niall and Denis can feel very hard done by. Both great ball winners. Denis height and aerial ability is a big loss

Think I read somewhere Niall was carrying a knock coming into this one so maybe hes just not fully fit?
    Denis can feel very hard done by, was great in the league but getting overlooked twice now for the championship. Great man to win turnovers.

Ompala wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere Niall was carrying a knock coming into this one so maybe hes just not fully fit?
    Denis can feel very hard done by, was great in the league but getting overlooked twice now for the championship. Great man to win turnovers.

An aspect we are hugely hugely lacking in. The mind boggles. Does O'Shea actually want to win a game at this stage?

Picking all the fly by nights who only want loose ball. Who'll win the ball now that there is 2 less ball winners in the forwards. Gar Ryan to his credit is quite good but lacks the aerial ability of Maher. Tbf to Niall, he could be carrying a knock. Looks a great prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well O'Shea has kept with the same players who have proven themselves to be not good enough over the last few years.

Has he learned anything from his two years in charge? They say you learn more in defeat than winning so he's had plenty of time to learn.

Hopefully last week's defeat to kk may affect the Galway team as I think that's our only hope of victory. If they bring their A game then we'll be in big trouble.

Best of luck to the footballers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Well O'Shea has kept with the same players who have proven themselves to be not good enough over the last few years.

Has he learned anything from his two years in charge? They say you learn more in defeat than winning so he's had plenty of time to learn.

Hopefully last week's defeat to kk may affect the Galway team as I think that's our only hope of victory. If they bring their A game then we'll be in big trouble.

Best of luck to the footballers.

The one area we were really beaten vs Limerick was midfield.

He's after making 2 changes here. What more do you want?

We aren't too far away. We'll get over Galway.

looder wrote: »
    The one area we were really beaten vs Limerick was midfield.

He's after making 2 changes here. What more do you want?

We aren't too far away. We'll get over Galway.

To be fair though, Woody had established himself before he became ill on the eve of the Limerick game and now thankfully he has been restored to the team. He may not have enough hurling in him but the Limerick game perhaps showed the importance of a James Woodlock to certain situtations. The lad himself deserves huge credit for having the mental strength and discipline to come back from such a horrific injury that he endured 5 years ago.

Bergin will be disappointed. One bad game and he's chopped. Others can have several and fail to deliver and yet O'Shea is persisting with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The overlooking of Denis Maher is a bit bizarre but then again so was leaving Bonnar in the full forward line for 36 minutes and the tactic of letting Gar Ryan do whatever he wants against Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

COM is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

glued wrote: »
    COM is out

Any word on who's replacing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Saint into the corner, Barrett to the wing, B Maher to centre back

Good start from the footballers, 1-5 to 2 points, 26 minutes gone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

1:10 to 4 points, should be home and hosed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Well done Tipp!

Firstly I'll say that I haven't been the biggest fan of this team but I must say fare play to both the players and management on a very good performance. Delighted for eamon O"shea to finally get his first win. 6 points down with 20 minutes to go and we ended up winning by 9. I honestly thought the game was over when we went 6 points down.

Some very good performances all over the field, most notably from padraic maher, Bonnar, bubbles, noel and callahan. There's no doubt that the lack of fitness from the Galway hurlers had a major contribution towards the scoreline, but we still had to show fight and determination to get back in it.

Still badly need to find a full back, all four of the Galway goals came from high balls into the full back line. O'Mahony is the only player I can think of that can do it. Onwards and upwards.

AAlso, congratulations to the footballers on a terrific result. Didn't get to see this one but by all accounts they were very impressive. Hopefully they can put a good run in the qualifiers together and maybe take a big scalp along the way.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Any chance Joe Canning got - he took - but he didn't get many. I thought Barry played manfully - first at center back then at full back when he went back to clean up Maher's mess. Has a cool head - intelligent player - a lot stronger than he looks

Maybe the best role for Padraic Maher is the sweeper role that Brendan was asked to play before?

Fantastic comeback. There was one point out on the wing when Noel McGrath and Tannian were racing for a ball - noel saw him out of the corner of his eye and pulled out of the challenge - I thought we're afraid of our own shadow - I nearly left - we were six down

Then Noel just changed his game - totally moved away from trying to win ball and physical challenges - just concentrated on what he is good at - waiting for loose ball and taking long range points...- maybe that's not the total hurler - but it is what Noel is...

It looked like Forde was coming on for Lar then Lar got a point and another quick one (one a wonder point) - Just before this Bubbles had two wides in quick succession - he had got about 4 points at this stage - lar and noelie seemed to have words with him after he got these two wides - for not feeding them - from the body language of the players involved - Bubbles seemed to tell them both where to go or else questioned their own input - Lar seemed shocked by the backchat - they were definitely arguing - its about time someone on the team told Noelie to get the finger out

Wonderful ball from Gar Ryan for the first goal - Gar has been asked to do a job - particularly in the second half - go deep and get a stranglehold on the game - he did not get on much ball - ran all over the place - i felt he was living a charmed life in terms of not being subbed - but I think i understand what O'Shea is doing with him - how can you argue with the way Tipp shored up the defence by packing it - Gar goes back and marks space - shored it up - it freed up space for bubbles and Callinan by dragging out the wing back - Noel and Callinan and Bubbles and Lar got the scores we missed against Limerick

gar has been out for a long time with injuries - we have to patient with him...- he is a busy intelligent player - there's more in him...

Bonnar gonna Bonnar - man is a beast

Great to see the Tipp players and fans really celebrate a win...

Great to see Tipp win - it was very loose though - VERY LOOSE - hopefully we can get a nice draw now and build confidence again and keep getting closer to our best team -

Congratulations to Seamus - Fantastic - he delivered.

For me it was between Bonnar and Barry for MOTM - I'd give it to Barry he kept his head and shored up the defence when a lot of lads were looking like headless chickens - Jonathan Glynn looks like he is going to a massive player

But we can't have Padraic Maher Full back anymore - he must be wing back or sweeper - nothing else - you can't have someone in a center position who drops balls....and he's poor at overhead striking... O'Mahony at center and Barry at full? or other way around?
    (Was Lar lucky regarding his overhead pull yesterday? don't know how the Galway lad's arm was not broken...)

As for the six player cut from the panel....ah come on now lads!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

I agree Paudie should never be a full back. What was he doing standing in front of his man for the 2 goals! a defender should never be in front.

Well done to the team though, they finally pulled it out of the bag. Hopefully this win will build their confidence and things get better from here.

I actually thought paudie played very well, apart from the high balls that came. He cleared loads of ball. He simply isn't a full back though. Wing back is probably his position if he could just stop those pointless runs forward. He reads the game so well so maybe that sweeper role would suit him down to the ground.

Wouldn't be too confident of James Barry at full back. Not sure he's ever played there before. He did do well at full back but he moved back at a time where Galway stopped getting good possession around the field, and the ball going into their forwards was very poor.

A nice draw would be welcome. Build confidence, sort out that full back position and we could be a very dangerous team going into the quarter finals.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

next day?

DG
    BARRETT CO’M MC
    PM JB BM
    NMG WOODLOCK
    N O’M BONNAR GR
    Bubbles Seamie LC

Any chance Joe Canning got - he took - but he didn't get many. I thought Barry played manfully - first at center back then at full back when he went back to clean up Maher's mess. Has a cool head - intelligent player - a lot stronger than he looks

Maybe the best role for Padraic Maher is the sweeper role that Brendan was asked to play before?

Fantastic comeback. There was one point out on the wing when Noel McGrath and Tannian were racing for a ball - noel saw him out of the corner of his eye and pulled out of the challenge - I thought we're afraid of our own shadow - I nearly left - we were six down

Then Noel just changed his game - totally moved away from trying to win ball and physical challenges - just concentrated on what he is good at - waiting for loose ball and taking long range points...- maybe that's not the total hurler - but it is what Noel is...

It looked like Forde was coming on for Lar then Lar got a point and another quick one (one a wonder point) - Just before this Bubbles had two wides in quick succession - he had got about 4 points at this stage - lar and noelie seemed to have words with him after he got these two wides - for not feeding them - from the body language of the players involved - Bubbles seemed to tell them both where to go or else questioned their own input - Lar seemed shocked by the backchat - they were definitely arguing - its about time someone on the team told Noelie to get the finger out

Wonderful ball from Gar Ryan for the first goal - Gar has been asked to do a job - particularly in the second half - go deep and get a stranglehold on the game - he did not get on much ball - ran all over the place - i felt he was living a charmed life in terms of not being subbed - but I think i understand what O'Shea is doing with him - how can you argue with the way Tipp shored up the defence by packing it - Gar goes back and marks space - shored it up - it freed up space for bubbles and Callinan by dragging out the wing back - Noel and Callinan and Bubbles and Lar got the scores we missed against Limerick

gar has been out for a long time with injuries - we have to patient with him...- he is a busy intelligent player - there's more in him...

Bonnar gonna Bonnar - man is a beast

Great to see the Tipp players and fans really celebrate a win...

Great to see Tipp win - it was very loose though - VERY LOOSE - hopefully we can get a nice draw now and build confidence again and keep getting closer to our best team -

Congratulations to Seamus - Fantastic - he delivered.

For me it was between Bonnar and Barry for MOTM - I'd give it to Barry he kept his head and shored up the defence when a lot of lads were looking like headless chickens - Jonathan Glynn looks like he is going to a massive player

But we can't have Padraic Maher Full back anymore - he must be wing back or sweeper - nothing else - you can't have someone in a center position who drops balls....and he's poor at overhead striking... O'Mahony at center and Barry at full? or other way around?
    (Was Lar lucky regarding his overhead pull yesterday? don't know how the Galway lad's arm was not broken...)

No tbf Lars eyes were firmly glued to the ball. Unfortunate accident.

As for the six player cut from the panel....ah come on now lads!!!!!!!

Cut from the 26 but still on the extended panel. Injury to COM and Niall O'Meara facilitated the need for Paul Curran and Eoin Kelly to be drafted back in.
    The way it works is you can be cut from the 26 that has to be named for the match but are still thereabouts.

Denis Maher not even amongst the choice of subs yesterday. This is a guy who gave Cillian Buckley a real hard time at the office in the league final and wasn't yet given a start. How John O'Brien was preferred ahead of him is beyond me.

To be honest im finding it very hard to get any real sense of optimism about this team. I hope im wrong but i cant see us going on any sort of run. The errors and lack of vision are too great. A better team will duly punish us.

No that's not right - if that's the way it worked - then why would Denis Maher not be on the subs if he was still on the panel...and kelly and curran were not but drafted in for injuries? not true...what about heffernan and paddy murphy?

Kelly was not drafted onto the subs....Jason Forde and Curran were...

It's just not correct. I know for a fact that Conor Kenny just trained recently with the tipp panel

What was stated was they were let go from the panel to cut expenses - just not true

I know how it works!!!

It was just a load of **** talk coming up to the game - in effect the logic would be that Paul Curran, Eoil Kelly, and Forde were on the bench due to injuries despite being let go from the panel...but there were two injuries - O'Mahony and O'meara - one a sub = 2 into 3 don't go...

Eoin Kelly was on the bench either way regardless of injuries

Paudie held his head afterwards - but he was well bet at full back - two goals and Paddy was beaten by him too - Just had an immense game did Glynn
    I certainly felt that Barry made a better fist of full back when he did go back there

The league final though....it's no measure...Maher is very slow on his feet - that is a concern - got a chance against limerick - hit balls into the keeper or hit it wide - i would like to see him get gam etime - but we don't see what happens in training -johno could be going well -

But looking at kilkenny today - again - just tough tough tough - had a vice like grip on Dublin

Limerick and Cork have looked good...

I think we'd give them a game - no bother - just two points off limerick

But KK that's another story...with Fennelly to come back....depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd fancy cork to beat kk in the AI. We won't be too close I'm afraid.

We were in trouble there before Galway collapsed. You'd be thinking they ran outa gas simply. It would've been interesting if they came into the game with a similar break to us.

I felt frustrated watching the game, we've a fair few issues to solve. I'm not confident with the keeper but I'm presuming he's better than the sub. Paudie should never be stuck at FB ever again. His strengths are most visible from the half back line. So many players took wrong options regarding shot selection, so many wides too. Felt that lar was anonymous till he scored. 'Twas interesting to hear nickys input during the game. We ought have stuck them for 15+. But I'd say we'd all have taken a win by that margin since the draw!

We ought to remember that the usual suspects looked great when space opened up. Unless we draw Offaly we'll never get that space again.

Galway were pretty pathetic, so I wouldn't be getting too carried away just yet. But fair play, they forced the errors on occasion from Galway.

Some result for the footballers, hopefully it'll give them a serious boost for next day.

I don't think anybody is getting carried away - we do have the game plan to beat KK - it's just that they'll beat us 7/8 times out of ten on past and current form...

Everything has to click - galway tired to out-muscle them - Dublin got crushed in the kk vice like we have seen them do to many times - you can only beat them with movement and slick striking and passing - Dublin just wanted too much time on the ball - just half a second too much - but these kk backs are so good at getting in that hook, block, challenge...

Our only hope is building up confidence and movement and a game plan - like in 2010 - finding the best team and system - it's a slim one

Okay - Cork beat Clare and looked good - but where are Clare at? I would still rate KK ahead of Cork - that Cork full back line looks weak to me

I'd be happy with yesterday - winning was all that mattered - no matter what. Far from perfect - but it's a win - it's a start. Big score put up - it's something to build on - let's hope the management and team can build on it - Waterford, Offaly, Clare, Wexford, whoever like... bring them on-

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=evolving tipperary;91157781]The league final though....it's no measure...Maher is very slow on his feet - that is a concern - got a chance against limerick - hit balls into the keeper or hit it wide - i would like to see him get gam etime - but we don't see what happens in training -johno could be going well -
    [/QUOTE]

Well if Brian Cody shared your view about the league final or the league in general then I'm sure he wouldn't have tried Padraig Walsh or John Power in the championship.

Denis turned over the world of ball in the forwards in his league appearances. Totally undeserved to be dropped. He didn't get an awful lot of time against Limerick to make a proper judgement on him. He should have started that game as he was on form going into the match. Gar is a great ball winner and all but Denis offers as much and has great aerial ability.

Advertisement