Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I was a huge fan of the great Nicholas English as a player and have to say its a pleasure to listen to his completely fair, honest and un-biased commentary on TV even when his beloved Tipperary are involved....class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

There is a world of difference between the career trajectory and performance of Padraig Walsh and Denis Maher - John Power is benefiting from injuries - he also has the type of pace that Denis Maher can only dream of and is so important to the way the game is played these days...

Gar RYan has won an All-Ireland medal - played an important part in it - he got 1-2 against Limerick from play - he plays very accurate and brilliant ball into the forwards - he offers far more than Denis Maher - Denis Maher is still learning his trade at this level - I would definitely see Niall O'Meara ahead of him - also let's not kid ourselves Denis Maher is one of the boyos who likes to enjoy himself - which is fine - but he is not as committed to hurling as say bonnar, gar, or Niall O'meara (who hopefully won't go down his brother's path). I don't see any other basis or proof for Denis Maher's inclusion in the forward line ahead of Gar Ryan - who has the engine to get up and down the field and shore things up -

As for point about him being dropped - i felt he deserved it - i wasn't convinced - a lot of people have said the same to me - I don't think remember any large outcry - people have their favourites - I just don't buy the denis maher over gar ryan argument at all - just no - does not offer as much - gar ryan is an all round better player - aerial ability is one thing - stamina, reading of the game, speed are three more things - I think if Gar Ryan was fit for the league we would have saw a lot less of Denis- for me Denis has a bit to go yet - still a work in progress regarding championship

Donal Og Cusack - "Tipp take a long time to get over both the bad days and the good days..."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The highlights on the Sunday game make us look like world beaters.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Five weeks and no game - coming off four losses - winning was everything. Let's not to be too negative - they won. Let's give them a chance to keep improving and go forward...who knows...it's a work in progress - but there's an opportunity there for the team to go forward let's see what they can do - hopefully they can iron out the problems before they meet a top top side...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Ya the win was the main thing.we were rubbish against offaly And wexford in the 2010 qualifiers so we'll just take it one game at a time

Five weeks and no game - coming off four losses - winning was everything. Let's not to be too negative - they won. Let's give them a chance to keep improving and go forward...who knows...it's a work in progress - but there's an opportunity there for the team to go forward let's see what they can do - hopefully they can iron out the problems before they meet a top top side...

Not having a go at you in particular but i cant fathom the extreme jubilation in the stands at winning yesterday. Alright perhaps it was relief from the supporters but in all honesty that performance wouldn't fill me with much confidence going forward. Callanan looks brilliant against hapless defences but if he was up against Kilkenny today he'd revert to the Callanan we all know.

I know its a results game but i think the only thing we're really consistent at is inconsistency. Its stop-start with us. Useless in the first half of the league and brilliant in the latter half. Useless against Limerick and quite useless in parts against Galway. The same problems that festered under Declan and Tommy, remain to fester under O'Shea. the team look to have no cohesiveness or fluidity whatsoever at times.

Same stupid errors yesterday. Failing to mark leaving Joe Canning (of all people) unmarked, not putting a hurley up for those long balls into Glynn.

Going by the events of this weekend Kilkenny will see us off in their sleep to be honest but we dont even get that far

buggy beag wrote: »
    Ya the win was the main thing.we were rubbish against offaly And wexford in the 2010 qualifiers so we'll just take it one game at a time

We were never in fear of losing either of those games. We beat Wexford by 14 points then and the game was over by half time. We were also 9 points up against Offaly in the dying stages before they got a goal.

Different this time though. Our whole season pretty much flatlined in the 51st minute yesterday. I think Galway pretty much gave us the kiss of life themselves with their willingness to allow so much space in the forwards. We were in a winning position v Limerick and pretty much caved in.

People are basing our credentials on having won the all ireland four years ago but fact is this current crop are well overrated. Wait and see them against a team that close down the space. They'll head for the hills

That's all fair and obvious. But form is a tricky thing...hopefully we can hit it in August - time it right...

I don't think we were useless against Limerick - I think there were certainly a few players who were useless. We lost by two points. That's not useless. It was the manner in which we lost - being outfought - that's hard to swallow.

We have a lot of confidence players - seamie and noelie in particular - there does not seem to be a break in between extremes.

The outpouring I can understand - as we had not won a championship game in so long - if we have lost again - it would have meant the end for players - young players - lads in their mid-twenties.

To win by a margin meant something - and there is always jubilation when you look like you are going to get well beaten and then turn it around.

Seamie will never play like that against KK - nobody does. Apart from Lar - all those years ago.

We have the long range point takers and striking to get past KK - in a one off game - one of the few teams - right now we are way off - the hope is we can solve the problems through games in the backdoor before we hit the big teams - stay away from kk for a while...

It's a hope - its not logic... at this stage...

There was a kk man in the stands yesterday - giving dogs abuse to Tipp players - violent abuse - couldn't believe it - celebrating when tipp players got injured and roaring at seamie and bubbles everytime they missed - YOU'RE NOT T.J. Reid - wearing his kk hat and jersey - when padraic maher was flattened at one stage - he celebrated and roared -that's it stretch him out - give to em gALWAY - give it to em...

KK fear us. They shouldn't - but they know if on the day our forwards click we can beat anyone...

The current pattern of the side suggests they will head for the hills - that's what eamon and the team are trying to change - a win helps - its only one...- but three wins before we play KK - maybe we can find form - maybe we can shore up teh defence - Eddie Brennan said we need a dog like curran in full back - I agree - Barry or O'Mahony at center back - Padraic Maher at sweeper - Curran at full (maher can protect his lack of pace by protecting the space in front of him)- I think that might work...

You don't have to convince me about KK credentials - I've said they're favs from the start. That's a fact. But it's a long season yet...maybe they might get unlucky with injuries or the form might dip...

maybe we might get more injuries and never get better....but we are still in it...we'll see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The highlights on the Sunday game make us look like world beaters.

I am sure you are referring to the footballers :) :cool:

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Does the Cork collapse today take away from Tipp's performance against them? I watched the football - they looked good. Had a set pattern to their play - could play - passing was good. Looked fit and organised. Longford were brutal though...

Does the Cork collapse today take away from Tipp's performance against them? I watched the football - they looked good. Had a set pattern to their play - could play - passing was good. Looked fit and organised. Longford were brutal though...

Longford went out with the intention of playing the blanket defence from the start and exploit us on the break with speedy players if/when we surrender possession but credit Tipp. They didnt panic and were patient. We got the first goal which unsettled Longford and in turn we grew in confidence.

As for Cork, the pundits reckon the whole dual player conundrum could be catching up with them. The dual players today looked tired. The Tipp game took a bit out of them perhaps. Factor in the Waterford and Clare matches in the hurling and all the training involved for both codes and then the duty for their respective clubs then i suppose its a logical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

So it's Offaly in the hurling (neutral venue) and Laois away in the football. Any chance they'd put it as a double header in Portlaoise? Was great to be able to go to both games Sat night. Hon Tipp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Conelan wrote: »
    So it's Offaly in the hurling (neutral venue) and Laois away in the football. Any chance they'd put it as a double header in Portlaoise? Was great to be able to go to both games Sat night. Hon Tipp!

I'd say Tipp vs Offaly could be anywhere. Maybe Nowlan Park. The football will be on in Portlaoise and I can't imagine a double header there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mags85

Was hoping for a double header in Portlaoise as well. Any chance either will be on rte? I think rte are televising the replay of clare and wexford so maybe they would have either the football or hurling depending on times?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Perfect draw really. Another chance to build confidence ahead of the all Ireland quarter final.

For the footballers, tough enough draw, laois are a much better outfit them Longford and being away from home will make it even harder. Still, well capable of beating them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If Tipp we can get three wins under the belt we might become very dangerous - if we can build confidence and sort out the spine...who knows

If Lar, Bonnar, Bubbles, and Noel McGrath can hit form it might free Seamie with more space...

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Very nice draw for us

We would want to start using the ball better when we are on top though

It took us far too long to look up and start aiming the ball in at Calllanan, when he got it he wreaked havoc

It shows the difference confidence can make, he won a lot of similar ball vs Limerick, but his finishing was awful

Saturday night it was much much better

O Dwyer also had a superb game, hit a few wides but was always showing for the ball

If Tipp we can get three wins under the belt we might become very dangerous - if we can build confidence and sort out the spine...who knows

If Lar, Bonnar, Bubbles, and Noel McGrath can hit form it might free Seamie with more space...

Do You think lar should start next day?offered nothing really bar the two points an one or two lay offs wouldn't even known he was playing in the first half

• Advertisement

I think that he lifts the crowd - really gets the tipp support going -- because he is that type of figure - he had one fabulous pass to Bubbles in the first half - Galway stuck very close to him - freed space for others

I'd start him every time - he has that bit of class- that point from the sideline was unbelievable and you could then feel the belief starting to pulse through the crowd and team - I think he's essential to the team if we're to make into August

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Do You think lar should start next day?offered nothing really bar the two points an one or two lay offs wouldn't even known he was playing in the first half

The ball going into Lar and Callinan in the first half was shocking. The best ball delivered into the forwards in that half was by Lar himself just before half time, he came out the field, won the ball and put a lovely low ball in front of Callinan (I think) which resulted in a free. You would hope that the Galway game will have brought Lar on and that he will be better again the next day. Looking down the road it's hard to see us doing anything against a Cork or Kilkenny without Lar in the team and at something like his best.

Lar did have heavy strapping underneath the knee you could see it bulging out from his sock - hopefully that injury can be managed correctly

Lar did have heavy strapping underneath the knee you could see it bulging out from his sock - hopefully that injury can be managed correctly

Ya true I'm lars biggest fan just felt he didn't add much first half but like ye said they didn't get much service And he is only coming back from injury.ya cracking points he got And really did lift the place And at just the right time to.he's kind of our shefflin figure in that he always gets massive roar from the crowd Who i Thought were in great voice.

Things though had been down more than up for Tipp since Eamon took over at the end of 2012. This then was a must-win game for Tipp, for the management and players.

“There is no point in trying to down play the significance of the game for them and I am not trying to do that. I am trying to put it in perspective that although the win is thrilling, so was the way they went about their game and they stayed at their game. Neither am I saying that this is the beginning of a glorious two or three months. It’s a game won. We’re training tomorrow again at 12pm and then we go on from there but it will be worthless if we don’t put in another performance whenever we play again. Sport at this level is a cruel master. If you are not ready for it you get dumped out of the competition; we have to be ready.”

What did ye think of our puck outs saturday night?fella behind was giving gleeson wicked abuse telling him drive it down the field but sure if your forwards can't win that primary possession then surely You have to persevere with the shorter puck out

Yes - its a very nervous moment in the crowd when goalkeepers and backs play short passes -some people can't handle it -I think Gleeson was good - some people are far too quick to jump on him - what can you do when full forwards are catching balls over lads heads and shooting from close in....nothing really

As for the goal from the free - lads were giving him abuse they thought it was direct from the free - but as we now know David Burke got a sweet connection - it was the full back lines fault - It was always going to be hard to follow Brendan - But people are definitely quick to jump on Darren as you've pointed out...

Yes - its a very nervous moment in the crowd when goalkeepers and backs play short passes -some people can't handle it -I think Gleeson was good - some people are far too quick to jump on him - what can you do when full forwards are catching balls over lads heads and shooting from close in....nothing really

As for the goal from the free - lads were giving him abuse they thought it was direct from the free - but as we now know David Burke got a sweet connection - it was the full back lines fault - It was always going to be hard to follow Brendan - But people are definitely quick to jump on Darren as you've pointed out...

Ya i like darren an think he's Very accurate.when the player recieves the ball from the puck out its up to him to make sure he doesn't get himself into bother And distribute it wisely.ya nothing he could do with the free like You said was a sweet connection And the other two was paudie mahers fault simple as ,happened in the limerick game to And we were lucky the goal was disallowed even tho it shouldn't have been he never looks assured under a high ball in full back

• Registered Users Posts: 1 devilsbitipp

Regarding Lar, fair enough he was relatively quiet in the first half and didn't really get involved, but that said, he set up a point for Bubbles and also arguably contributed to Seamie's goal as he made a great run (and was fouled) which seemed to cause a bit of confusion in the Galway backs and Callanan's finish was great, despite getting a hurley broke off him as he turned. Also, Lar's pass to Noel on the stroke of half time was sublime, and the subsequent free drawn put us on level terms at the break. So in my view, that's 1-2 that Lar was involved in.
    In the second half, he drew a foul for a pointed free and also contributed 2 points himself. IIRC, the 2nd point from out the sideline put us into the lead and also raised the decibels in the stand which seemed to lift the team and there was only going to be one winner then. I'd definitely start Lar the next day, apart from letting the ball bounce off his hand for a sideline to Galway, everything else he did/got involved in led to a score. Not wanting to tempt fate, or be disrespectful to Offaly, but if Lar started and bagged a goal or 2 and a few points, it would do him the world of good.

Also, here's my assessment of the other 14 on the night:
    Gleeson - not really at fault for the 4 goals, although needs to be a bit more vocal - I thought his puck outs were fairly ok on the night.
    Saint - solid throughout, slotted in well considering he was a late call up
    Paidi - well documented he was caught under a few high balls, but finished strong and may see out the rest of the season in the half back line
    Cahill - solid as ever, but caught twice in possession running out the field, maybe a look-up for a short pass to a man in space might have been better
    Barry - solid game, didn't give too man frees and continues to build his reputation
    Barrett - Keen to get involved and comfortable with short-passing and also a fairly tight maker who didn't give too many frees
    Brendan - a good game, way more disciplined than v Limerick on the fouling and looked solid throughout
    Ronan - a disappointing debut start, but is young and will learn and will have many great days
    Woodie - industrious throughout and full of running, scored a great point but took the wrong option of shooting a couple of other times,
    Gar - given the space he got, should've maybe contributed more and clearly rated by EOS
    Bonnar - what can we say - the heartbeat of the team.
    Bubbles - accurate with his shooting, great awareness of where to find space and with a bit more fine-tuning, will soon be another pivotal player for us
    Noelie - some lovely shooting, but would be concerned if he's tightly marked in the future. Also, has to eradicate the short sidelines (led to a goal v Limerick and also cost us on sat night - this is one for mgt to address as he seemed to get direct instructions from M Ryan to to short which didn't really work out)
    Seamie - hard to argue with 3-8, took his goals well and let's hope this is the start of his year really igniting now.
    Lar - see above.

One other comment, I was glad to see the absence of the OTT fist pumping when a free was won - the tendency to just get up put the ball down and get on with it showed a more mature attitude by the players which was good to see.

Great performance by the footballers too - every chance of taking Laois.

• Advertisement

I would say for Galway's last goal - Darren should have come off his line and closed down the space, making himself big - but it still favours the forward in that situation - but he had to come off his line rather than stay - but i mean he would be coming off his line from a standing position while the galway lad was moving - the odds were stacked against him - i felt it would have been better if he had come off his line...

Advertisement