Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Will we outnumber Cork on hill 16 ?

They have the population and always bring a huge crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

We haven't had a good turn out for any of our matches this year so I'd imagine we'll be out numbered

OAOB wrote: »
    We haven't had a good turn out for any of our matches this year so I'd imagine we'll be out numbered

Well then it's time to get the finger out! I'll be on the hill anyway.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Well then it's time to get the finger out! I'll be on the hill anyway.:)
    Me too............hon Tipp :cool:

How many Tipp fans will turn up tomorrow? For a proud hurling county we should have 25k+ there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

How many Tipp fans will turn up tomorrow? For a proud hurling county we should have 25k+ there.
    well if previous semi finals and finals are anything to go by we'll easily have that amount there. Best of luck to the boys tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

well if previous semi finals and finals are anything to go by we'll easily have that amount there. Best of luck to the boys tomorrow.[/QUOTE

Tipp supporters get plenty criticism for being harsh on the team but to be fair they're great to support the team on the day- though limerick in thurles seemed an exception!Since I can remember it's only cork that really outnumber us at games.the last few kk games we outnumbered them 2 to 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

2nd game in a row I have no idea what to make of that
    Don't think anyone saw that coming, at least I didn't anyway
    Tipp clearly the better team, got little from Owens, luckily this match wasn't close in the end
    Great to see Callanan playing so well, much improved from Limerick match, but still makes occasional bad decisions
    Backs were superb, Paudie Maher gave an exhibition of catching the ball
    What happened Cork though? They completely imploded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Charlie69

To say Cork didn't perform is to do a serious disservice to Tipp, thought ye were excellent today and looked like a team on a mission.

What do the anti-O'Shea men say now!?!??!

Tipp are hitting form at the right time...

August and sept is the time for form - been saying it all year...

Hopefully now they'll hit fifth gear on the 7th

Think that's one of the greatest performances of a Tipp team from 1 to 9. Paudie was immense, best I've seen him. I was afraid for Shane McGrath before throw in but he'd a blinder.

Bubbles and seamie were fantastic, thought bonnar did well enough getting stuck in.

Being a tad harsh I felt Lar left two goals behind him and looked a bit off the pace. Noel wasn't great until the match was won when he got a few points. Gar Ryan was our worst player. Tbf who can come in for him? Maher came on for him and performed his usual cameo of getting surrounded in possession, eoin Kelly's past it-think his only touch was conceding a free, and forde was anonymous!

Dunno if we can carry 3 forwards against the cats?

Fair play to the lads. A lot of us here were pretty harsh on them after the limerick game.

Complaining after a performance like that! Are you for real? No player played badly. That's a fact. G R did a lot of dirty work. Re-watch it

Forde came into a game that was dead and buried (as did Kelly) - the fizz was gone - and you're singling him out for abuse? A young tipp player trying to learn his trade at inter county level? Eoin Kelly who has as much credit as anyone who ever played the game and you're singling him out as well? The game was dead when he came on. People leaving.

After today’s great win in Croke Park the management of the county senior hurling team spoke with the officers of the county C.C.C and expressed their worries of players playing three games in one week and the effect it would have on the preparation for the All Ireland senior hurling final
    The officers of the C.C.C considered their worries and agreed that preparation could be hindered by the number of games fixed so they decided to call off the following games fixed for Wednesday night the 20th.
    Clean Ireland Recycling County Senior Hurling Championship
    Toomevara v Loughmore Castleiney
    Silvermines v Borris Ileigh
    Thurles Sarsfields v Portroe
    Clean Ireland Recycling County Senior Football Championship
    Éire Óg Anacarty v Killenaule
    All other games fixed for Tuesday and Wednesday the 19th/20th will go ahead and divisional semi finals fixed for the weekend of the 24th will also go ahead as fixed.
    Thanks to all for your co operation
    Is mise
    Tomas O Meachair
    Runai C.C.C an Chontae

Complaining after a performance like that! Are you for real? No player played badly. That's a fact. G R did a lot of dirty work. Re-watch it

Forde came into a game that was dead and buried (as did Kelly) - the fizz was gone - and you're singling him out for abuse? A young tipp player trying to learn his trade at inter county level? Eoin Kelly who has as much credit as anyone who ever played the game and you're singling him out as well? The game was dead when he came on. People leaving.

Buy yourself a dictionary

"No player played badly. That's a fact" are you for real do you know what fact means. Your statement is an opinion which is not a "fact".

"Abuse". Once again do you know what that means? Where did I abuse anyone? Saying someone played bad or past it isn't abuse. I've posted here before my admiration for eoin Kelly when someone suggested he was dropped off the panel. Guys a legend, best Tipp hurler I've ever seen.

Tbf gar Ryan has been our poorest player today, and it's a toss up between lar and noël for 2nd worst. The other 13 were sensational. To be fair I opened with that on my last post which has so upset you!

Even the bloody manager stated 'the fwds didn't play as well as I wanted'. And that's a fact! Callinan and bubbles were fantastic, bonnar was top class but maybe a little short of his usual high standard. That leaves noël, lar and gar Ryan. Now !

Hope to god we beat the cats like you. Hopefully our backs play that well again and we'll have a good shout. But if lar misses 2 goal chances like today and gar Ryan players in a similar manner I can't see us beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

digzy wrote: »
    Buy yourself a dictionary

"No player played badly. That's a fact" are you for real do you know what fact means. Your statement is an opinion which is not a "fact".

"Abuse". Once again do you know what that means? Where did I abuse anyone? Saying someone played bad or past it isn't abuse. I've posted here before my admiration for eoin Kelly when someone suggested he was dropped off the panel. Guys a legend, best Tipp hurler I've ever seen.

Tbf gar Ryan has been our poorest player today, and it's a toss up between lar and noël for 2nd worst. The other 13 were sensational. To be fair I opened with that on my last post which has so upset you!

Hope to god we beat the cats like you. Hopefully our backs play that well again and we'll have a good shout. But if lar misses 2 goal chances like today and gar Ryan players in a similar manner I can't see us beating them.

Lar had an off day and his touch seemed off. I think you are being unfair on Ryan though, he got through an unreal amount of dirty work most of it between the 2 65s. Nothing flash but very effective nonetheless.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Lar had an off day and his touch seemed off. I think you are being unfair on Ryan though, he got through an unreal amount of dirty work most of it between the 2 65s. Nothing flash but very effective nonetheless.

Think lar fluffed a decent goal chance against limerick too? I wouldn't be his biggest fan though. He scored 2 belters at the start of the Dublin game but didn't see much if him after. I'm not one of those idiots that only rates a fwd on how much they score. But lars game isn't about hooking and blocking etc. if he's not on the ball he tends to be pretty ineffectual, unlike bonnar. I just fear for him with the likes of kks fb line flaking him for the AI final.

As regards Noël, I reckon there's a big game in him. I just feel he hit some poor wides and didn't see him win much ball or Harry the cork backs- then again it's not his game.

As regards gar Ryan, I just didn't see the performance in him today. Hope he's MOTM next day, best of luck to him.

I wouldn't have much faith in our subs. Tbf though they haven't got much game time.

Thought the ref made a few bad calls. Good job we didnt loose by a point!

At the risk of labouring the point if our backs play that well next day we'll have some shout. If our 6 fwds click we could score anything!

• Advertisement

Not every word usage on a forum is used in a dictionary manner. That's a fact is a euphemism in conversation - you've probably come across it, I'd say....

Listen - you're over the top. Singling out lads on a day like today - Lar made a lot of fantastic runs today - and no did not score - but he dragged his man all over and created a lot of space. Lead the way against Dublin and got good scores against Galway and Offaly too when the team confidence was brittle. At 33 he will not do it everyday - simple as that.

Gar Ryan did the business - he has a thankless job getting up and down. Back from years of injury - had a double hip injury did year - and is building himself up - very important role for the team. i lost count of how many times he was in the wing back position - made things very difficult for cork. He put in some very quick and fast ball into the forwards too. We need him badly against KK - any time we have gar on the team we're better for it. Can't agree he played badly - or noelie - who played some delightful ball in and got three scores. Bonnar got injured in the first ten minutes - had massive strapping around his ribs and back - still had a stormer.

Just being too negative I feel!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed you moved away from focusing on Kelly and forde to the three boys!

But, I listen I disagree. Great performance all round - whipped them. If we can keep taking the long range points that force opposition backs to follow out our wings, midfield then we'll win- and oh yeah - if Seamie can do something he has never done before or anyone really - break JJ in championship...the last man to do that? Gar Ryan in 2010...dragged him everywhere

The manager focused on one aspect of the forward play:

Tipp hammered the Munster champions at Croke Park by ten points, though O’Shea says improvement will be required before next month's final with Kilkenny (7 September).

“I’m not trying to downplay the performance or appear any way calm about this; I think the performance was really good,” he explained.

“I’m just saying they are not happy with their movement and their coming on to the ball.

“In terms of where it came from, these guys are calm. They are calm about what they do. They don’t pay much attention to what is being said or written about them.

Lar is there to score, Gar Ryan and bonnar are there for the "dirty work" in general. Tbf can you remember the last timid he hooked,blocked or dispossessed an opponent.
    Lar touched the ball about 6 times in the 2010 final and scored a hat trick and made Noel's goal.
    He got on more ball today. His touch was off for both goal chances. Dunno is it down to a confidence issue or whatever but it's not because he's 33!

Noel was generally poor. Can you remember him winning a single ball in the first half?He fired 3 wides and all his scores came when the match was practically over.

Eoin Kelly's best days were behind him in 2010. He's a peripheral figure now unfortunately. I've yet to see forde deliver at senior level for us either.

Maybe you think that's good enough to beat the cats. I don't. As I said already, we don't have too many subs to come on when a fwd doesn't perform.
    Happy now.

hahah sure, I'm always happy!

WEll, he is 33 - sharpness and stamina can't be what it was. Plus, he has that knee injury that he has to mind.

Forde is 21 - give him time - took Seamie time! took Lar time too adjust. Forde will be a great player for tipp. We have Michael Cahill on the bench!!!! O'Mahony will hopefully back too. Hopefully Pa will come back next year and reinvent himself hard. Can't be too bad. Denis has his abilities too...and is young. Look we don't have KK's panel - but the fight and game that was taken to Cork today is everything. We've been missing that for a while - it's back. I'm glad of it. Joy to be hold - Barrett getting back to take the ball off Horgan today and as you've said - 1 to 9 - the perfect focus, attitude and determination. Let's focus on teh positive. I won't judge Forde and Kelly in a game like today - as they came on when it was over. But yes, Forde is young and Kelly's best days are behind him. Too much positivity about today for me - to be critical.

I don't think anything more can be asked of the lads now other than perform like today - Nobody thought we'd be in the top two this year. O'Shea has done the business as far as I'm concerned - back where we need to be. I believe they can win. And if they don't we have reason to be excited about the next few years.

O'Shea's Tipp has made three finals out of four since he has been in charge- two leagues and the up coming final in two years - not bad at all....especially after suffering some terrible defeats before he came on board- i'd like to see the lads win one now - i think they deserve one

Well what can i say about today. An absolute blitzkrieg. The finest performance I've seen in many a while from us. Since we gave Waterford a 7 goal hiding back in 2011 probably.

1-9 were immense but i felt that the forwards didn't really click as they should do except Callanan, Bonnar and Bubbles. Lar had a bad day at the office and i felt both Gar and Noel were considerably ineffective. Now im open to correction on stats on that tbf. It could and has to be more effective from them the next day out. Otherwise im pleased. After a year of much turbulence we seem to be set in a very good place at last. However our need to win this All Ireland is huge. Its a massive game for us. Anything less then a win could have massive impact on this team. We need to seal the deal this time and get over the line. Easier said than done given the ferocity of this Kilkenny team but it just has to be done. We've lost three consecutive championship and have only won 1 league game out of six to Kilkenny since we beat them in the 2010 All Ireland final. Fingers crossed we get over that line this time.

UP THE PREMIER!!

Gar Ryan did the business - he has a thankless job getting up and down. Back from years of injury - had a double hip injury did year - and is building himself up - very important role for the team. i lost count of how many times he was in the wing back position - made things very difficult for cork. He put in some very quick and fast ball into the forwards too. We need him badly against KK - any time we have gar on the team we're better for it.

You're usually a good man for posting links to every paper article re Tipp hurling.
    Check out the ratings from today's indo. Gar got a 5.lar got a 6. Lowest on the team. Now Tbf it's subjective. Maybe you see something the rest of us and the paid experts don't.

he Indo!!! A forward line must have balance. I just feel that people don't understand the very specific role Gar plays. Rewatched the game last night - Michael Duignan said Gar had a very good game when they snubbed him last night - I've already commented on the role Gar plays in the team in previous posts

If you have a player who has the engine to get continually up and down the field - it kills his marker and it opens up space - Gar was continually in the half back line - crowding space and making a nuisance of himself - he delivered quick ball - but yet if you look at the two goals - he was there in the full forward line for both - making runs - when he gets back and drags his marker with him - it leaves the field open for the midfielders to run into and the full forward line to run out into - you can't break a man with character and stamina like that - determination - that's what been missing when we've gone up against kk the last few years - when Ryan was missing - I'm not saying he is the ten point difference - I'm just saying the team is a far better with him in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I would agree about the role Gar palys, it is very important. I couldn't believe how much he was helping out at half-back. Kind of like what Larkin does for KK nowadays. Could Dennis Maher be airdropped in to do a Walter Walsh in the final? He's a big yoke of a thing, he could probably go along way to taking Brian Hogan out of a game and even win a few in the air off him. One thing is for sure, all forwards will need to score against KK to win. Callanan and Bubbles are very targeted men right now.

Backs were immense though, Bergin was sweeping up nicely too, he needs to improve his distribution though, can scuff the connection a bit much. One fear I have is that M.Fennelly will be back in midfield and we all know how much he has dominated S.McGrath over the years.

Advertisement