Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Comordha wrote: »
    One fear I have is that M.Fennelly will be back in midfield and we all know how much he has dominated S.McGrath over the years.

Shane McGrath was outstanding in 2009 and 2010 All-Irelands. In particular the first half in 2010. Granted Fennelly was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Will we outnumber Cork on hill 16 ?

That was well and truly answered yesterday. Not alone were we outnumbered on the hill but we were outnumbered all over the stadium. Of course all the fair weather supporters will be out in force for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

That was well and truly answered yesterday. Not alone were we outnumbered on the hill but we were outnumbered all over the stadium. Of course all the fair weather supporters will be out in force for the final.

To be fair you could say the same for any county in a final. Look at Kerry in football.

Thought we'd a good crowd there. Corks a bigger county too. We will outnumber the cats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Ref is going to be a massive factor in this game too. A ref that lets a lot go will completely suit KK and they will use it to their advantage. Even though the whistle blowing the whole time might ruin a game I think it is what Tipp need. Barry Kelly would be a good one to get.

I would agree about the role Gar palys, it is very important. I couldn't believe how much he was helping out at half-back. Kind of like what Larkin does for KK nowadays. Could Dennis Maher be airdropped in to do a Walter Walsh in the final? He's a big yoke of a thing, he could probably go along way to taking Brian Hogan out of a game and even win a few in the air off him. One thing is for sure, all forwards will need to score against KK to win. Callanan and Bubbles are very targeted men right now.

Backs were immense though, Bergin was sweeping up nicely too, he needs to improve his distribution though, can scuff the connection a bit much. One fear I have is that M.Fennelly will be back in midfield and we all know how much he has dominated S.McGrath over the years.

Are we sacrificing a an extra threat up front at that rate though? We will need to be alot more creative and potent up front the next day and make it extremely difficult for Kilkenny to get in good clearances. We cant be giving them time to look up and pick out a run from their forwards or we will be slaughtered by the stripey men.

As for Shane McGrath, he has showed glimpses of his old self the last two games. The issue the next day is that the play will be tighter so it will be interesting to see how he copes with that.

Kilkenny have snuffed out our goal threat in the last few meetings so cohesion and speed of interchange is going to be vital in the final.

For once though im actually relaxed about this final. We are in a good place going in. There is some belief in the panel now and we are their most troublesome opponent. Always love the atmosphere and buzz around the village when there is a final dawning and in particular when its our nearest and dearest Kilkenny. After a two year final hiatus it will be nice to be reaquainted in September again although i hope im not forced to eat my words :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Gar dropping like that creates the space up front that Bubbles, Callanan and Corbett (the old Larry anyway) thrive on. KK won't fall for this though, it will be tight as it always is with them. In the past KK have targeted weaker links in the Tipp back line to do early psychological damage, Shefflin on John O'Keefe in 2011 is a very good example but this time round all 6 Tipp backs look sharp and hardy so this is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Get in a bit of Practice before the Final.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Gar dropping like that creates the space up front that Bubbles, Callanan and Corbett (the old Larry anyway) thrive on. KK won't fall for this though, it will be tight as it always is with them. In the past KK have targeted weaker links in the Tipp back line to do early psychological damage, Shefflin on John O'Keefe in 2011 is a very good example but this time round all 6 Tipp backs look sharp and hardy so this is a big difference.

Don't think it matters how good the backs are if they are under constant pressure they are going to creak at some stage and it may not neccessarily be the most inexperienced of them that does so first either.

The forwards need to work the shít out of those Kilkenny backs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Ref is going to be a massive factor in this game too. A ref that lets a lot go will completely suit KK and they will use it to their advantage. Even though the whistle blowing the whole time might ruin a game I think it is what Tipp need. Barry Kelly would be a good one to get.

Anyone would be better than yesterday's ref! Owens was pretty bad yesterday. He missed blatant fouls yet blew up for other imaginary ones. I thought he was actually from Cork, the amount of frees he gave them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

There are two ways of approaching it - I guess - and Eamon opts to pack the defensive space - rather go with 6 on 6 pressure -

KK tend to go with 6 on 6 for 50 minutes - and if they have the lead like against Limerick they then pack the defensive space and choke you out

It depends on how the game is going too - Cody is pretty good at identifying when the other team is on top and when to go defensive and when to go all out .... he switches it up

We are short on work horses so we don't have that luxury of players getting up and down and i think Eamon is right to pack the defense

• Advertisement

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Anyone would be better than yesterday's ref! Owens was pretty bad yesterday. He missed blatant fouls yet blew up for other imaginary ones. I thought he was actually from Cork, the amount of frees he gave them!

It would be hard to pick from Gavin and Owens. Not an competent ref between the two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Blondie919 wrote: »

Ah stop, gave some awful decisions against Tipp

Noel flicking the sliotar into his hand off the ground, a free Nash scored a point from

Paudie Maher shoulder on Cahalane on the sideline

Woodlock dragged back by Walsh when running through (think Walsh had arm around the Woodlock's hurley)

Free to Harnedy when he was going through and lost the ball to Woodlock

Only ones I can think of off the top of me head, all in the 1st half.
    Horgan should have got a free in at one point too.
    Tipp only scored 1 point from placed balls yesterday, says it all.
    Ref will be forgotten about however, because the match was so one sided, but he was woeful.
    Heres hoping we get more joy in the final

I think Cody will put the two Fennellys on Barry and Barrett - but then again he might fancy the idea of such a big man as Michael Fennelly on Brendan Maher at center back

First Cork V Tipperary championship match in Croke Park 17th. August 2014.

So now its a case of Cork beaten and the harvest saved.

What a good year so far for Tipp hurling and the harvest!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Something that I always look forward to on all Ireland Sunday when Tipp are involved is going to Talbot street at noon, to the plaque that commemorates Sean Treacy-over Guineys shop. There is always a fine crowd and after the few prayers theres a rendition of 'Tipperary so far away'. I often thought that if the panel were brought there to witness this it would give them another insight into what it means to be a Tipperary man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Xenophile wrote: »
    Get in a bit of Practice before the Final.

Not forgetting:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Gavin would be a disaster for us if he's reffing the final,not a fan of Barry Kelly but he would be a better option because he takes no s**t from KK and they definitely don't like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

marvin80 wrote: »
    Not forgetting:

That's more like it

• Advertisement

That last line....ouch...

Jesus - Cork will be like Tigers next time they play Tipp - BRING IT ON!!!!

Tipperary will only ever have one Anthem and this is it. Great version have a listen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Such a silly move by the county board. Disappointed by that decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Is this decision absolutely final? I understand that postponing so many club games creates a backlog but surely the risk of injury is too great for the county players.

Loughc wrote: »
    GerB40 wrote: »
    Is this decision absolutely final? I understand that postponing so many club games creates a backlog but surely the risk of injury is too great for the county players.

The same apes who voted against the cancellation of these games would be the very ones calling for O'Shea's head if we had a poor final. Surely to god all of these scenarios could have been planned for well in advance?

We are ran by dopes. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Loughc wrote: »

Anyone know what kilkenny are doing in the run up?

Heard recently that no club game is played in donegal until their county team is knocked out of the championship*

*open to correction.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

Kilkenny always play round of championship games between semi and all-Ireland final. It's only fair on all the non inter county players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

CATwalk wrote: »
    Kilkenny always play round of championship games between semi and all-Ireland final. It's only fair on all the non inter county players.

I know it's against the consensus here but the non inter county lads who put in a huge effort all year don't deserve getting messed about either. Like everyone else might may think it'd be a disaster if anything happens to an Tipp player but it's a risk worth taking as the gaa isn't just about the 30 fellas involved in an inter county panel.

There was a ridiculous situation in west Tipp a few years ago where the football and hurling championships were placed on hold over Conor o briens involvement with the inter county panel. Very unfair to all the other players inho.

Advertisement