Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

digzy wrote: »
    I know it's against the consensus here but the non inter county lads who put in a huge effort all year don't deserve getting messed about either. Like everyone else might may think it'd be a disaster if anything happens to an Tipp player but it's a risk worth taking as the gaa isn't just about the 30 fellas involved in an inter county panel.

There was a ridiculous situation in west Tipp a few years ago where the football and hurling championships were placed on hold over Conor o briens involvement with the inter county panel. Very unfair to all the other players inho.

Its not so much the refusal to move these fixtures but rather the failure to actually plan for the possibility of getting to the All Ireland final that bothers me. I understand the whole fixtures pile up issue and i see the argument in that its unfair on non intercounty players etc but really did the Tipp county board not entertain the possibility in the slightest that we might be good enough to reach an All ireland final and that a certain number of games need to be played in such a scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd say they weren't planning for an all Ireland after the limerick defeat;)

True enough point taken. I was just looking at if from the pov of non inter county players

digzy wrote: »
    I'd say they weren't planning for an all Ireland after the limerick defeat;)

True enough point taken. I was just looking at if from the pov of non inter county players

Few of was were being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Kilkenny had a full round of club hurling championship last weekend,won't have another round until late September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭carey2010

Don't like to be too positive going into a final but I think the team is In a good place and the win last Sunday will motivate the players.... Don't like hearing this from the Kk side tho I think their being a bit cocky and harsh on our players

Give over,Jackie will have bubbles in his pocket from the off. Lar wont be inside to long before he runs away from Paul Murphy. Callahan has been trying for years to beat JJ to no avail. Every year since 2009 we hear how the Bonner or Noel McGrath are going to destroy Brian Hogan Ain't happened yet an wont happen either this year. Cillian Buckley is not just a superb hurler he is as tough as they come and nothing will come easy off him. Joey Holden has proven himself and no way if moved out is Bubbles even close to being a player capable of destroying him.
    Tipp can have all the plans they like to run at, run over or run through Kilkenny. It don't matter. For any plan to work you must have the ball so where are the great dirty ball winners on this Tipp team while at the same time all nine Kilkenny forwards know how to win dirty ball. Paudric Maher is so totally over rated at this stage it is a joke. He has been tried at just about every back position, hurls great for a game or two gets destroyed and is put into a new position, hurls great again for a game or two until he gets destroyed again and is moved again.We know this Tipp team they are no different to 2009.2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

One thing's for certain, the interest in club hurling is going to be a lot higher than usual for the coming weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Tipp have had a very easy quarter final and a very easy semi final.
    Dublin and Cork were both dreadful in their respective ties against Tipp.

I hope it's a good final. I suspect that the GAA want to see Henry win his 10th All Ireland medal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

hinault wrote: »
    I hope it's a good final. I suspect that the GAA want to see Henry win his 10th All Ireland medal though.

What the THe GAA will want to see first and foremost
    1)A great game that it can showcase on the world stage.

2)A Draw.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

hinault wrote: »
    Tipp have had a very easy quarter final and a very easy semi final.
    Dublin and Cork were both dreadful in their respective ties against Tipp.

I suppose if you are wrapped up for the winter and only hurl for your county for a couple of hours a year then you could win loads of awards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

carey2010 wrote: »
    Tipp can have all the plans they like to run at, run over or run through Kilkenny. It don't matter. For any plan to work you must have the ball so where are the great dirty ball winners on this Tipp team while at the same time all nine Kilkenny forwards know how to win dirty ball. Paudric Maher is so totally over rated at this stage it is a joke. He has been tried at just about every back position, hurls great for a game or two gets destroyed and is put into a new position, hurls great again for a game or two until he gets destroyed again and is moved again.We know this Tipp team they are no different to 2009.2010, 2011, 2012, or 2013.

I hope this team is no different to 2010, that was a mightly ALL Ireland Victory! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Found this on the KK board, be interested to hear what ye thought? It scores possible match ups. I wound agree with most, I think need another scoring threat, Corbett not able to tag the big scores on anymore, I would have Dennis Maher in there, himself and Callanan together would present a world of height trouble.

"Herity v Gleeson even 0

Murphy v Corbett adv KK 1

Delaney v Callanan adv KK 1

Tyrell v McGrath even 0

Holden v Dwyer adv Tipp 1

B Hogan v Patk Maher even 0

Buckley v G.Ryan even 0

R Hogan v Woodlock adv KK 1

Fogarty v S McGrath even 0

Reid v B Maher even 0

C Fennelly v Barry even 0

M Fennelly v Bergin adv KK 1

Larkin v Barrett adv Tipp 1

R Power v Paud Maher even 0

Shefflin v Stapleton adv KK 1

Kilkenny 5 v Tipperary 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Comordha wrote: »
    Found this on the KK board, be interested to hear what ye thought? It scores possible match ups. I wound agree with most, I think need another scoring threat, Corbett not able to tag the big scores on anymore, I would have Dennis Maher in there, himself and Callanan together would present a world of height trouble.

"Herity v Gleeson even 0

Tyrell v McGrath even 0

Holden v Dwyer adv Tipp 1

Buckley v G.Ryan even 0

R Hogan v Woodlock adv KK 1

Fogarty v S McGrath even 0

Reid v B Maher even 0

C Fennelly v Barry even 0

M Fennelly v Bergin adv KK 1

Larkin v Barrett adv Tipp 1

R Power v Paud Maher even 0

Kilkenny 5 v Tipperary 2"

Very optimistic from a KK point of view, but only to be expected.

I would be disappointed if Seamie doesn't at least break even with JJ and its one I well feel Tipp could win.
    If Lar hits form he could do well on Murphy, was having a good game on him last year in Nowlan till his hamstring went.

Very optimistic here for KK and again I would be disappointed if Bonnar doesn't win this battle fairly comfortably.

Richie Power and Paudie even
    One I would also be disappointed with if it happens, I expect Paudie to win his battle in this game.
    I doubt Shefflin will start and would be delighted if he does, would expect a Tipp win here no matter where he plays.

A lot of those match ups may not happen anyway, particularly the KK forwards and Tipp backs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Based on the 5 mins Shefflin played against limerick I'd be delighted if he starts. He looked off the lace completely. The Henry of old would have pointed that chance he had on the hogan side in his sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

So what way do people think we will line up?
    Gleeson
    Barrett Barry Cahill
    B. Maher P. Maher Bergin
    McGrath Woodlock
    Ryan Bonner Bubbles
    McGrath Callanan Lar

I think Paddy Stapleton should play, he deserves to and he has that little bit of a dirty stroke in him that Kilkenny have in abundance but the problem is that he's occupying the position that our best back plays in - Micky Cahill. With Saint and COM to come on if needed I think we're looking pretty well in the backs. I think the lucky survivors from the Cork game will be Noel McGrath and Lar Corbett both of whom put in sub-par performances. Both did lots of work and Noel got two points towards the end but they played very poor. The reason they will start is due to experience and Lar especially is a confidence player. Against Cork at the start he couldn't rise the ball and lost possession and that seemed to knock him. He'll have a point to prove against Kilkenny and I'm sure he'll be better the next day out. McGrath will start but if he's not doing his job around the middle then I can see him being taken off for Denis Maher or Shane Bourke.

Also I can't believe how good James Barry has been this year. Himself and Cathal Barrett have been fantastic. Bubbles has really stepped into his potential and has shown those class wrists. What has me excited is the re-emergence of Shane McGrath. That shows the morale and progress being made in the camp. Even if we get beaten in the final it has been a good season overall and there is plenty to look forward too. There is plenty to build on from this year and after a sluggish start in the Championship against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Long time, no talk fellas. Moved to the capital for a job so I've been busy, coupled with that my laptop broke so my nearly sole connection to this thread has been severed, so I'm typing this in work (sssh, don't tell anyone).

I'm still a little bit surprised we're in an All-Ireland final right now. If you had told me that when we were fairly brutal in the League, I would've disbelieved you enormously. We've tightened the ship up and moved in the right places; I wouldn't disregard the notion that Galway and Dublin were that bad (they weren't great) but we still had to hurl against them and make a show. I think we did that.

The similarities with 2010 are evident if you look deep enough. Knocked out in Munster that year, went into the qualifiers and tore everyone apart relentlessly and got to the final. In 2014, Limerick dumped us out and now we've beaten Galway, Offaly, Dublin and Cork and now in the final; while playing a similar high-octane attack.

The game against Cork was a joy to watch, some great work rate on display, interplay was fluid and they seemed really hungry. Some of those components were missing before. Glad they're back. John O' Dwyer's hook-and-score, Bonner's assist for Callanan, the latter's two goals, Woodlock and McGrath's half a dozen points from midfield, the defense on top, it was lovely stuff to watch. I'm also delighted at the renaissance of Callanan, he is serious altogether.

Still, despite my optimism, it is Kilkenny. We lose it whenever we play them so the approach has to be catered for that they're another team, give respect, but another team just like the qualifiers that we have to get over. Do not underestimate!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

. Even if we get beaten in the final it has been a good season overall and there is plenty to look forward too. There is plenty to build on from this year and after a sluggish start in the Championship against Limerick.[/QUOTE]

We need to knock the above on the head straight away. I for one am sick and tired of losing to kilkenny. Too many 'close calls' 'taking them to extra time' etc. We need to beat those boys and beat them out the gate if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

. Even if we get beaten in the final it has been a good season overall and there is plenty to look forward too. There is plenty to build on from this year and after a sluggish start in the Championship against Limerick
    We need to knock the above on the head straight away. I for one am sick and tired of losing to kilkenny. Too many 'close calls' 'taking them to extra time' etc. We need to beat those boys and beat them out the gate if at all possible.

I get your point but you're losing sight of progress over history. This has been a good season for Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I think ye are right about Shefflin, he'd be far less a worry than that Taggy Fogarty lad. Taggy has inflcited some amount of pain on Tipp over the years. He'd start any forward line in the country and is a sub for KK.

glued wrote: »
    I get your point but you're losing sight of progress over history. This has been a good season for Tipp.

Fair point but if we lose this game we'll have lost four championship games (two of them All Ireland finals) against Kilkenny since 2009 as well as two league finals, and three league meetings.

It would probably be harsh to call it a bad season but a defeat could end many intercounty careers. RDB is spot on, we really have to win this. Defeat would be sheer heartbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

In terms of this season getting to the final is a great achievement considering the disaster that was the Limerick game.
    If we look at it in a wider view we should be contesting and winning finals regularly considering the calibre of play we have.
    I think the fact that it's kk makes this a must win for us, we cannot be beaten by them again. The media talk of the rivalry between both of us but it's only a rivalry if both teams are winning regularly. With the exception of 2010 kk have had our number for over a decade and its about time we start winning our fair share. I'm 100% certain our players are good enough, its about attitude and endeavour on the day and that's something that's been improving all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair point but if we lose this game we'll have lost four championship games (two of them All Ireland finals) against Kilkenny since 2009 as well as two league finals, and three league meetings.

It would probably be harsh to call it a bad season but a defeat could end many intercounty careers. RDB is spot on, we really have to win this. Defeat would be sheer heartbreak.
    3 league finals

Charlie69 wrote: »
    3 league finals

Apologies yes 3 league finals - 09, 13 and 14. We also took a severe beating in Nowlan back in March 2009 before being unlucky in the All Ireland final that same year.

The early part of the noughties seen us lose in the All Ireland Semi final narrowly in 2002 then a trimming in 2003 and then we lost the league final in 2003 as well as league meetings in 05 and then two league defeats in 06 not that those early noughties league and championship games are relevant really at this stage given the changes in personnel since.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I've heard there has been an emergency Co Board meeting called tonight.

Sure to cancel all club games this weekend?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've heard there has been an emergency Co Board meeting called tonight.

Sure to cancel all club games this weekend?

Any outcome from the county board meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Do not underestimate!

We've lost 10 of the last 11 games v kk so don't think there's any chance of us underestimating them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

We've lost 10 of the last 11 games v kk so don't think there's any chance of us underestimating them.

Yes I get you but because we're in some brilliant form which hasn't been seen since 2011 maybe? then there might be a tendency to get cocky especially when there is a perception that Kilkenny aren't as strong as they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Yes I get you but because we're in some brilliant form which hasn't been seen since 2011 maybe? then there might be a tendency to get cocky especially when there is a perception that Kilkenny aren't as strong as they once were.

We have needed to be 7 or 8 points better than Kilkenny to beat them. We hurled them off the field in 2010 and yet the match was not over until almost injury time or when Benny Dunne put over that point to put us 5 ahead. A similar performance to that will be needed to beat them this year. It is one thing running them close like in 2009, the league final this year, or Limerick this year, it is a fairly big step to go from that to actually beating them.

Has Johnny B got the pen and paper out yet? :)

A revisit to one of my old time favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Loughc wrote: »
    Any outcome from the county board meeting?

Games go ahead. Strange calling an emergency meeting and then not calling games off.

• Advertisement

Games go ahead. Strange calling an emergency meeting and then not calling games off.

The board could be split down the middle on this though. On one side you could have those of the mindset that over 1m of resources are pumped into intercounty teams and by not cancelling these games you are potentially harming this investment and facing a public backlash. The other side i would imagine are rooting in the corner of the clubs and the disruption this 'inconvenient' all ireland is causing to the club championship :rolleyes:

Advertisement