Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Is he still injured? Id say regardless of that O'Shea will stick with the 15 who done exceptional the last day but id say he will definately be the first to be sprung from the bench if god forbid we are in trouble

Was fine but last Thursday the knee started giving trouble again. He's not fit for 70 mins is the word. Hopefully he's able to play some part

glued wrote: »
    Was fine but last Thursday the knee started giving trouble again. He's not fit for 70 mins is the word. Hopefully he's able to play some part

Jeez thats a pity. What about Lar?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Weather looks to be very good for Sunday.
    These conditions will suit us better as we like to move the ball quicker. Also will hopefully stop it turning into a physical battle which kilkenny will always win.

Anyone go into the training session?

Teams announced afterwards.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jeez thats a pity. What about Lar?

Hard to say on Lar. Looks in good condition but the touch is off. I'd expect him to react on Sunday.

1. Gleeson
    2. Barrett
    3. P. Maher
    4. P. Stapleton
    5. B. Maher
    6. Barry
    7. Bergin
    8. S. McGrath
    9. Woodlock
    10. Ryan
    11. P. Maher
    13. O'Dwyer
    14. Callanan
    15. Corbett

Team will line out the same as against Cork.

• Advertisement

Yep, wasn't expecting any changes, strong bench though that can make an impact if required.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Who is on the bench?

The following 5 players will play in their first senior All Ireland Hurling Final.

Darren Gleeson
    Cathal Barrett
    James Barry
    Kieran Bergin
    John O Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

glued wrote: »
    Hard to say on Lar. Looks in good condition but the touch is off. I'd expect him to react on Sunday.

Hope you're right. Bar his 2 crackers against Dublin he's had a poor campaign. He would usually stick the 2 chances against cork and limerick. If anything with the pressure from the kk backs I'd be pleasantly surprised if he's a good game.

I was at the 2011 final where he was moving all over the pitch trying to shake off his man-think 'twas tyrell. The whole game yer man was flaking lar with the bas of the Hurley or raking him with the butt. Complete thuggery and the ref did bugger all.

I fear that our fwds will get some off the ball flaking, to be fair I don't think our backs are quite so well up on the dark arts! Dunno it would help anyway against seasoned kk fwds. Bonnar, noël, gar can look after themselves. Hope lar and callinan flake into the fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

digzy wrote: »
    to be fair I don't think our backs are quite so well up on the dark arts!

Try marking Paddy Stapleton :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Hope you're right. Bar his 2 crackers against Dublin he's had a poor campaign. He would usually stick the 2 chances against cork and limerick. If anything with the pressure from the kk backs I'd be pleasantly surprised if he's a good game.

I was at the 2011 final where he was moving all over the pitch trying to shake off his man-think 'twas tyrell. The whole game yer man was flaking lar with the bas of the Hurley or raking him with the butt. Complete thuggery and the ref did bugger all.

I fear that our fwds will get some off the ball flaking, to be fair I don't think our backs are quite so well up on the dark arts! Dunno it would help anyway against seasoned kk fwds. Bonnar, noël, gar can look after themselves. Hope lar and callinan flake into the fcukers.

Ah I don't think this will happen much now particularly with Kelly refereeing which is why Kk are annoyed he is reffing. People have copped on much more to their "tactics".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The following 5 players will play in their first senior All Ireland Hurling Final.

Darren Gleeson
    Cathal Barrett
    James Barry
    Kieran Bergin
    John O Dwyer
    Massive day for these 5 lads,best of luck to them I hope they all have great games on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

What an immature post

Bit of nostalgia for ye - RTE news report on the buildup to the 1991 final

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0904/641357-tipperary-and-kilkenny-prepare-for-1991-all-ireland-final/

Amazing the differences in both Semple and Nowlan since.

In Semple the old stand roof was removed around 2002 and the new stand was renovated around 2007. Nowlan of course have also made huge changes, most notably the seated terrace behind the Hebron road goal

Charlie69 wrote: »
    What an immature post

Bang on the money if you ask me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Try marking Paddy Stapleton :eek:

A sure look, I know there's no room for shrinking violets in inter county gaa.

However the kk backs are on a different level. I can't ever remember seeing the flakings being dished out like the kk backs give. You only see it when you're at a game not really on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

A sure look, I know there's no room for shrinking violets in inter county gaa.

However the kk backs are on a different level. I can't ever remember seeing the flakings being dished out like the kk backs give. You only see it when you're at a game not really on TV.

Cop onto yourselves. Bitter nonsense.

It's also very amusing to hear this sort of thing coming from Tipp given your own history. My father always says Tipp would have won very little in the 50s & 60s if tv coverage had existed like now. He saw John Doyle & co in the fullback line battering everything that moved whether the sliotar was in the vicinity or not

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Martin567 wrote: »

It's also very amusing to hear this sort of thing coming from Tipp given your own history. My father always says Tipp would have won very little in the 50s & 60s if tv coverage had existed like now. He saw John Doyle & co in the fullback line battering everything that moved whether the sliotar was in the vicinity or not

Pot, Kettle, Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Martin567 wrote: »

Hee hee! Even to this day Kilkenny folk have nightmares when they think of Hell's kitchen!

• Advertisement

Amazing how much his voice has seemingly deepened since then. What age was he in the shooting of that video does anyone know? I love the aul vintage footage and memorabilia of GAA that you'd come across from time to time

Just again on the 1991 footage, i couldnt help but laugh at Ollie Walsh's interview. Great guy he was tbf to him but i just couldnt ever imagine Cody saying
    Sure you never know we haven't played well on the day but it would be a great day for it all to come right

:D

Thats not saying anything about Ollie's credentials as a manager but given how assured and meticulous that Cody and many of the other modern day managers are it really goes to show how far the game has come in the 23 years since.

He was 22

Hee hee! Even to this day Kilkenny folk have nightmares when they think of Hell's kitchen!

You're right there Dan, You'd want to educate some of the young tipp posters on here about them, Digzy and buddy holly were going to go home and tell they're Mammy's about all the KK bullies.:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I look forward to reading your comments on Sunday evening Charlie :)

Loughc wrote: »
    I look forward to reading your comments on Sunday evening Charlie :)

I wont resort to crying (lying)about what happened in a game 3 years ago anyway lough, win lose or draw. Hope we can do it but not feeling confident.

Oh the oul beal bocht from a kk man!!!! And they after winning all round them for over a decade, have won more than lost in that time against tipp - won the league, won leinster, are favourites, had a tough game in the semi which sets them up perfectly - and yet you're not confident!?!?!?! Ah come on now!!! Who you fooling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

I'm just wondering how popular/unpopular the opinion is that lar is well past his best and shouldn't start on a Sunday, especially with IMO better options on the bench. He has been a great player for tipp but I just don't think he has the speed, the touch, the accuracy or even the confidence he had a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

abutler101 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how popular/unpopular the opinion is that lar is well past his best and shouldn't start on a Sunday, especially with IMO better options on the bench. He has been a great player for tipp but I just don't think he has the speed, the touch, the accuracy or even the confidence he had a few years ago.

I don't think its that unpopular myself tbh, I would have liked to have seen Niall O Meara get more games this year but he has been desperately unlucky with injuries, Forde seems off form atm, who would you start instead of him?

Advertisement