Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

He got us on the road against Galway, Offaly and Dublin - was poor against Cork - but worked hard off teh ball making runs - a better touch - here and there and he'd have 2-1 - Lar is not finished - he's maintaining an injury - he is a vital presence and voice in this team. I completely disagree - going into next season this becomes a debate - but going into AL Final...with a team that he has been a part of ....crazy talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

Ompala wrote: »
    I don't think its that unpopular myself tbh, I would have liked to have seen Niall O Meara get more games this year but he has been desperately unlucky with injuries, Forde seems off form atm, who would you start instead of him?

Dennis Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

He got us on the road against Galway, Offaly and Dublin - was poor against Cork - but worked hard off teh ball making runs - a better touch - here and there and he'd have 2-1 - Lar is not finished - he's maintaining an injury - he is a vital presence and voice in this team. I completely disagree - going into next season this becomes a debate - but going into AL Final...with a team that he has been a part of ....crazy talk

A sneaky score on Lar first goal Sunday to prove a few lads wrong. Lar ain't finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

It was more Callanan who did the damage vs Galway to be fair, Offaly were awful this year, he scored two fantastic scores vs Dublin but then faded out completely.
    His touch is off, his chance in the first half vs Cork in the semi should have been buried but he didn't manage to rise the ball. Sunday is going to be tight and we can't afford to screw up chances like that (not saying others wouldn't screw them up either or anything), thought myself he should have been taken off in the 1st half vs Cork.

Having said all that I'd love for him to play a stormer on Sunday :D

I never said he did the damage against Galway - personally i think it was his point from the sideline which gave team belief and killed Galway that day- i said he got us on the road against three teams - it takes a squad effort - then you just repeat what I said...

we all want him to have a stormer - but if he scores nothing and lays off a lot of scores (say a goal and a point) and creates space with movement - job done.

• Advertisement

There are three changes on the Kilkenny senior team to play Tipperary in Sunday's All Ireland Final. Eoin Murphy gets the nod for the goalkeeper position behind an unchanged defence and midfield. Up front Walter Walsh will wear the no 13 shirt replacing Padraig Walsh with Richie Power replacing Mark Kelly at the edge of the square.

Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    Paul Murphy Danesfort
    J J Delaney Fenians
    Jackie Tyrrell James Stephens
    Joey Holden Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Brian Hogan O Loughlin Gaels
    Cillian Buckley Dicksboro
    Richie Hogan Danesfort
    Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    Michael Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    T J Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon
    Richie Power Carrickshock
    Eoin Larkin James Stephens

David Herity Dunnamaggin
    Kieran Joyce Rower Inistioge
    Brian Kennedy St Lachtains
    Padraig Walsh Tullaroan
    Lester Ryan (Capt) Clara
    Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    Henry Shefflin Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Aidan Fogarty Emeralds
    Mark Kelly O’Loughlin Gaels
    Jonjo Farrell Thomastown
    John Power Carrickshock

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Richie Power won the game for KK against Limerick when he came on imo, and will be a real handful I feel
    Dunno what to make of Walter Walsh coming in, thought Padraig Walsh was having a good season and surprised hes on the bench
    Not surprised Herrity is dropped tbh

I suppose when you look at our full-back line we have no tall men - so what your looking at is - I'd imagine - is an aerial bombardment - power is good in the air - walter walsh is - both fennellys - I'd imagine they'll rotate the full forward line and see what works best in there - they'll pack the defense and try and choke the space - at they always do against our full forward line - then just go direct - probably even go short off puck outs to corner backs and wing backs then launch the long bombs - if that does not work - they can always bring on speedsters then like P. Walsh, Fogarty

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

Has the Tipp match day panel been decided on and if so where could I find it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I wont resort to crying (lying)about what happened in a game 3 years ago anyway lough, win lose or draw. Hope we can do it but not feeling confident.

Lying? Were you there looking at it? Absolute disgrace. Even the ref got a slap off tommy Walsh FFs:rolleyes:

As I said already you don't see if on TV . As the ad says " you can't beat being there" to see the thuggery of the kk backs in 3d

Usually not announced - the first I usually see of it - is in the programme

Martin567 wrote: »
    Cop onto yourselves. Bitter nonsense.

It's also very amusing to hear this sort of thing coming from Tipp given your own history. My father always says Tipp would have won very little in the 50s & 60s if tv coverage had existed like now. He saw John Doyle & co in the fullback line battering everything that moved whether the sliotar was in the vicinity or not

What relevance have matches from 70 years ago got to do with Sundays game. There are plenty players from the 2011 all Ireland involved on sunday. Is there many from the time you refer to?:eek:

You'd want to educate some of the young tipp posters on here about them,D

Why? Were you around in the 50s watching games. Fair play to ya. Once again, what relevance has that to Sundays game? None!

I suppose when you look at our full-back line we have no tall men - so what your looking at is - I'd imagine - is an aerial bombardment - power is good in the air - walter walsh is - both fennellys - I'd imagine they'll rotate the full forward line and see what works best in there - they'll pack the defense and try and choke the space - at they always do against our full forward line - then just go direct - probably even go short off puck outs to corner backs and wing backs then launch the long bombs - if that does not work - they can always bring on speedsters then like P. Walsh, Fogarty

Excellent analysis.
    I recall tommy Walsh picking out shefflin repeatedly in 2011 while being'Marked" by o keeffe. Cody will stick the big men onto Stapleton and Barrett especially with it being his first all Ireland. To be fair to our backs, they're the most solid looking bunch we've had in a decade. We've excellent mobility there but I wonder does that mean we loose out in size.

Think o Shea made a good call keeping Cahill in reserve irrespective of fitness. It'd be cruel on the lads who did so well so far to cut them for the final. They'll know there's a top man in reserve if anyone isn't on his game

Looking through that Kilkenny team and subs there. That's a serious bench they have and it would be one area i think they are definitely ahead of us.

I think Padraig Walsh can feel very hard done by. This year, from my recollection he has played wing back, midfield and wing forward and done very well in all three in general. If i was Cody id probably be slotting him in Wing back instead of Joey Holden. I just think Walsh might cope better with his marker. He is like a younger version of Tommy if you like.
    But I'm just that bit happier he hasn't.

Walter Walsh is going to be a huge test for us. Id imagine he might go in on Barry or possibly Barrett. Barry done fairly well on Pa Cronin last day out but Walter offers far more.

Either way it will be a very tough game for us. Our forwards need to work like dogs. It is absolutely sinful if a Kilkenny man is allowed to pick a forward out from the wing back slot.

The best analogy i could come up with for this All Ireland with the nice colourful atmosphere building up, well its like anticipating Santa only you have as much chance of getting a few lumps of coal as you do of getting presents. On Sunday unfortunately 1 team will get coal while the others will get a nice silver present and all that goes with it...i just hope we don't get anymore coal.

abutler101 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how popular/unpopular the opinion is that lar is well past his best and shouldn't start on a Sunday, especially with IMO better options on the bench. He has been a great player for tipp but I just don't think he has the speed, the touch, the accuracy or even the confidence he had a few years ago.
    Its an interesting question. In one way there are younger hungrier and fresher players like Niall O'Meara and Denis Maher chomping at the bit but both are inexperienced and to be honest I would probably go with starting Lar due to the fact i would say he is aching for a chance to play them and settle the score.

He has vast experience and is a cool finisher on a day when we need cool heads. I dont think confidence is an issue with him. He had an off day the last day but i think that is all it was. I thought he started well against Dublin but lacked the service thereafter.

Id probably edge toward starting him although when you see the psychological impact Shefflin or Tommy could have coming off the bench then your mind shifts the other way :) but on the balance of things id start him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serious Arial ability in that kk team.
    It's the one area along with work rate and strength which they've used to beat us year after year.

If we get parity in these areas we will definitely win.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A sneaky score on Lar first goal Sunday to prove a few lads wrong. Lar ain't finished yet.

66/1 to score a hat trick :D Sure throw a tenner and if you lose its only a tenner

Id say the curtain will come down on many careers on Sunday on both teams whether win lose or draw.

For Tipp you have Paul Curran, Eoin Kelly, John O'Brien and Lar Corbett. I think it is the swansong for all four on Sunday. They are just about hanging in there to see can they get the medal. Whichever way the result will go i think we may well have seen the last of these men in Tipp gear come twenty past five on Sunday evening.

For Kilkenny you have Shefflin (who i reckon will definitely call it a day be it ten or nine celtic crosses), JJ Delaney and Brian Hogan may also decide that they have had enough either way. Then you have Larkin, Tyrell and Tommy Walsh who are 50/50 i would guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

digzy wrote: »
    Lying? Were you there looking at it? Absolute disgrace. Even the ref got a slap off tommy Walsh FFs:rolleyes:

As I said already you don't see if on TV . As the ad says " you can't beat being there" to see the thuggery of the kk backs in 3d

Calm down digzy. you're full of anger and resentment , that'll be the nerves, we're all feeling it, enjoy the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Oh the oul beal bocht from a kk man!!!! And they after winning all round them for over a decade, have won more than lost in that time against tipp - won the league, won leinster, are favourites, had a tough game in the semi which sets them up perfectly - and yet you're not confident!?!?!?! Ah come on now!!! Who you fooling?

Not confident at all ET, this is a very different team to the one that won all around them and as you say we've had such a great record v Tipp in recent times I just feel it's Tipp's turn this time.

I known it doesn't work like that but its just a feeling I have ,allied to the team Cody picked which I think has a few weakness's that Tipp can exploit.
    Hope I'm wrong . Enjoy the game.

Not confident at all ET, this is a very different team to the one that won all around them and as you say we've had such a great record v Tipp in recent times I just feel it's Tipp's turn this time.

I known it doesn't work like that but its just a feeling I have ,allied to the team Cody picked which I think has a few weakness's that Tipp can exploit.
    Hope I'm wrong . Enjoy the game.

Rubbish!

Where is the weakness in the kk team. They've picked their best keeper, the full back line are savages-Paul Murphy is one or the most underrated backs in the game. Hogan while not as mobile always plays well against us at cb. Richie hogan is on for player of the year in midfield. Further up the fennellys are top class. Colin played really well against us in the league. Larkin is always good for a goal and works like a tiger. Richie power is another underrated fwd, excellent player. Walter Walsh is huge and will give ye an Ariel option. Tj Reid is having a great season too.

They are all players who've delivered consistently at the highest level in pressure situations. The limerick battle showed they've huge spirit and will to win.

Callinan while having a great season has a history of poor games against ye. Lar hasn't played well since 2011. Noël mc garth isn't going great either. Bubbles is relatively inexperienced but I think he'll play well- top player.Woodlock is a worker but I wonder has he the class of his opponent. Shane mc grath has done well the last few games but I wonder will he have the physicality needed against those beasts!

Our backs have done really well the last few games but have they faced a test like this one yet?

If I was a kk man I'd be ver confident. That 2012 game still gives me nightmares

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

100% agree with that digzy. I honest think/dread we're looking at a repeat of the 2012 semi. We could take a right hammering. Hope I'm wrong though!

I think it's a good tactic by Cody - an obvious one. I think we drop our half-backs back deep so that will be give kk space to operate on the half back line if they are quick with their puck outs.

I think both teams will play tight and defensive - i think it will be low scoring. I think long range point taking will be the decider - if both defenses hold, obviously. Hannon got five points off HOgan the last day - so maybe Tipp can make hay there - Bonnar is not the type to take long range points - so i think we'd be better served by putting noelie in there - that's if he manages to hit form - as Hannon was in a rich vein of form- bubbles or Lar might do a job in there.

It's a good move by Cody because if they pull it off and start making hay with long balls from deep - it will force the tipp wing forwards to push up out of going deep to stop the source.

Callinan does not need to go to Town like he has been doing all year - he needs to give us 2 to 3 points from play - and win just as much ball as JJ - win a few frees for himself. That'll be great. He got no score from play in the league final. He just needs to get a few points and contribute - its time for noelie, lar, bonnar, or gar to get an oul goal and a few points. That said I don't expect a high scoring game. It might be an idea to put Bonnar in teh full forward line with him - practically to win Callinan ball and just look after him in the physical stakes

I wonder has it ever happened before in a final that six forwards are bigger than their opposition backs?!?! A mobile back unit versus a big mobile forward unit....it's a worry!!!! But, I think Cody has looked at the Limerick and Galway games for Tipp where Tipp were beaten in the air in the full back line and said that's where we can win this game - and when legs are tired he can bring on henry, fogarty, and padraig walsh for long range points.

I hope it's as good as the 2009 game with a better result for tipp!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think it's a good tactic by Cody - an obvious one. I think we drop our half-backs back deep so that will be give kk space to operate on the half back line if they are quick with their puck outs.

I think both teams will play tight and defensive - i think it will be low scoring. I think long range point taking will be the decider - if both defenses hold, obviously. Hannon got five points off HOgan the last day - so maybe Tipp can make hay there - Bonnar is not the type to take long range points - so i think we'd be better served by putting noelie in there - that's if he manages to hit form - as Hannon was in a rich vein of form- bubbles or Lar might do a job in there.

It's a good move by Cody because if they pull it off and start making hay with long balls from deep - it will force the tipp wing forwards to push up out of going deep to stop the source.

Callinan does not need to go to Town like he has been doing all year - he needs to give us 2 to 3 points from play - and win just as much ball as JJ - win a few frees for himself. That'll be great. He got no score from play in the league final. He just needs to get a few points and contribute - its time for noelie, lar, bonnar, or gar to get an oul goal and a few points. That said I don't expect a high scoring game.

I wonder has it ever happened before in a final that six forwards are bigger than their opposition backs?!?! A mobile back unit versus a big mobile forward unit....it's a worry!!!! But, I think Cody has looked at the Limerick and Galway games for Tipp where Tipp were beaten in the air in the full back line and said that's where we can win this game - and when legs are tired he can bring on henry, fogarty, and padraig walsh for long range points.

I hope it's as good as the 2009 game with a better result for tipp!!!

I doubt Hogan will mark the centre-forward at all. He will sit just in front of JJ cutting off any low supply to Callinan. Bonnar or whoever plays at centre-forward will be picked up by deep lying midfield, half-forwards.
    It can be hard to get this right, as we know from league final and likewise KK know from Limerick game.

I agree with you that you need a good long range point taker to be the attacker if the centre-back is doing the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

digzy wrote: »
    Rubbish!

Where is the weakness in the kk team. They've picked their best keeper, the full back line are savages-Paul Murphy is one or the most underrated backs in the game. Hogan while not as mobile always plays well against us at cb. Richie hogan is on for player of the year in midfield. Further up the fennellys are top class. Colin played really well against us in the league. Larkin is always good for a goal and works like a tiger. Richie power is another underrated fwd, excellent player. Walter Walsh is huge and will give ye an Ariel option. Tj Reid is having a great season too.

They are all players who've delivered consistently at the highest level in pressure situations. The limerick battle showed they've huge spirit and will to win.

Callinan while having a great season has a history of poor games against ye. Lar hasn't played well since 2011. Noël mc garth isn't going great either. Bubbles is relatively inexperienced but I think he'll play well- top player.Woodlock is a worker but I wonder has he the class of his opponent. Shane mc grath has done well the last few games but I wonder will he have the physicality needed against those beasts!

Our backs have done really well the last few games but have they faced a test like this one yet?

If I was a kk man I'd be ver confident. That 2012 game still gives me nightmares

The only solid player for Kilkenny this year has been Richie Hogan. Colin Fennelly? Is this the guy Brendan Maher marked out of the league final? Michael Fennelly hasn't really featured this year and really looks like he's lost a big edge to his game with all the injuries. Paul Murphy was fairly solid all season but was poor against Limerick. This is a far cry from the Kilkenny team from 2006-09. I don't see why you're painting such a graceful picture of Kilkenny hurling and such a bleak one for Tipperary.

This is the first time we'll go into a game against Kilkenny in a long time where I really fancy our match ups. Both teams have their problems and both teams are carrying players. Tipperary play the same silly tactics that they did in 2012. Your post is full of hyperbole and nonsense it's really hard to see how you have watched much of either side this year. Lar Corbett was excellent against Kilkenny in Nowlan Park last year before coming off injured. You're exactly the type of fan that typifies the defeatist and over-critical supporter that the media always refer to.

Either way that does not change the point - center forward can get scores from long range due to this KK tactic - just like Hannon did- as you've said

glued wrote: »
    The only solid player for Kilkenny this year has been Richie Hogan. Colin Fennelly? Is this the guy Brendan Maher marked out of the league final? Michael Fennelly hasn't really featured this year and really looks like he's lost a big edge to his game with all the injuries. Paul Murphy was fairly solid all season but was poor against Limerick. This is a far cry from the Kilkenny team from 2006-09. I don't see why you're painting such a graceful picture of Kilkenny hurling and such a bleak one for Tipperary.

This is the first time we'll go into a game against Kilkenny in a long time where I really fancy our match ups. Both teams have their problems and both teams are carrying players. Tipperary play the same silly tactics that they did in 2012. Your post is full of hyperbole and nonsense it's really hard to see how you have watched much of either side this year. Lar Corbett was excellent against Kilkenny in Nowlan Park last year before coming off injured. You're exactly the type of fan that typifies the defeatist and over-critical supporter that the media always refer to.

Leave out the personal abuse. Not interested.
    Colin fennellys had a great game against us in Nolan park in the league. The kk players I mentioned have inflicted some damage on us over the years. Dunno if you've noticed. Lar isn't going well. Most posters here concur. If you think he's doing well I'm happy for you. He had a poor touch in the lead up to his goal in Nolan park in 2013 qualifier but fair play to him he stuck it in afterwards. Thuggish activity forced him off injured. We both know lar isn't the lad to start a barney. I've watched lar often enough to know his game. He's not one of these guys who'll dominate a game. He's a finisher if he gets the right ball.hes no hook and block merchant. I've said it before here, he actually only touched the ball a few times in 2010 all Ireland but fair play to him he stuck his goals that won the game for us.

I'm actually happier with our backs now than a few years ago. Think the introduction of Barry and Barrett have improved that division hugely. I'd be a little wary of bergin all the same.

I'm naturally pessimistic but I sincerely hope we beat the cats and that lar or anyone else I've questioned play blinders and win motm.

• Advertisement

A Tipperary Gentleman. I used to see him around the university when he was injured. Jesus, he looked depressed. He's on top of life now.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/thats-how-winning-is-done-285196.html#.VArDgxAM9fc.twitter

Advertisement