Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

A mixed day for Ryan no doubt given that his home club were relegated. Hopefully a win for Tipp tomorrow will 'tipp' the balance and put him back into happy mode :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Really looking forward to the match tomorrow. I couldn't afford to go but I'll watch it on the box. I really do think this is our year. Hoping for a good match and for our lads to put it up to KK and kick their butts. I have to say that since the dark days that followed the defeat to Limerick the Tipperary hurlers have restored my pride and faith. They've got to the Final via the long way round and no matter what happens tomorrow I'll be proud of them. Up the Premier!! Go on Tipp!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Sunday at last, this week was a slow one.
    Hoping/expecting a good game but today I really only care about the result. I do think we'll do it but as in 2010 it'll require a massive effort and I really do think we need to be loud in the stands today. Momentum is huge in these games and if the crowd can get their voices behind the lads and drive them on I honestly think it's worth about 3 points to us so be vocal today lads.
    First Sunday in sept and we're involved, it's a great feeling but we need to finish them today. 100% for 70 mins and we'll do it, I can't ****ing wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, my heart!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Awh guys I can't cope. Just back from the match. So close at the end. Tremendous heart from the lads to draw it level. I thought we'd it lost after the third goal but we stood up to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just back from the game myself. One of the best games I've ever seen played with great spirit and fair play as well. Great comeback to pull back from 4 points down to draw.

It's this simple. We go again!!! Up tipp!!!

We didn't win anything. However, pride and respect was restored! That Tipperary squad and management are magnificent. Onward!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

We didn't win anything. However, pride and respect was restored! That Tipperary squad and management are magnificent. Onward!

Fair dues to ya regards Corbett, ya stuck with your guns and he played exceptional today, so unlucky not to score that goal!
    Heres hoping we take more than just 1 goal chance the next day, cos if we knocked in more today, then we would have another All Ireland right now

Confident bunch, aren't they!??!?!

Latest News
    Home Coming
    Kilkenny GAA wishes to confirm that the Home-coming hosted by Kilkenny County Council will not now go ahead on Monday evening. The victorious Minor Team will be honoured with the senior team after the replay.
    It has also been confirmed that next weekend's Intermediate and Junior club championship matches will go ahead as scheduled. Senior games scheduled for following weekend have been postponed until after the replay.
    Watch out for further details on Minor fixtures.

• Advertisement

Fantastic heart shown from the boys. Open game today. Thought Bubbles snatched it in the dying seconds. Was going mental when i seen the Cusack erupt only to have my bubble burst seconds later(no pun intended :) )

Would have probably have been very harsh on either team to lose it today if im being honest but hoping we can go and believe we can bring this cup home now.

PREMIER AND PROUD! :)H'ON TIPP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair play to Tipperary today, it takes a good team to concede 3-22 and miss 2 penalties and still not lose the game.

I thought our lads should have closed it out but the tipp forwards got some magnificent scores to draw the game so a draw was prob a fair result.

Thought Bubbles was immense today and some of the scores he and Callinan got today were a joy to watch.

Also thought B Kelly was a little hard on us today in my hugely biased opinion, but what a game from two fantastic teams with not a dirty stroke all day.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Fair play to Tipperary today, it takes a good team to concede 3-22 and miss 2 penalties and still not lose the game.

I thought our lads should have closed it out but the tipp forwards got some magnificent scores to draw the game so a draw was prob a fair result.

Thought Bubbles was immense today and some of the scores he and Callinan got today were a joy to watch.

Also thought B Kelly was a little hard on us today in my hugely biased opinion, but what a game from two fantastic teams with not a dirty stroke all day.

Fair play to you Charlie and FWIW it would have been probably very hard on both Kilkenny and Tipp to lose that one. Both teams were absolutely excellent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Charlie you're the third KK I heard blaming Barry Kelly, I've asked neutrals and they all thought he had a great game. I'm missing the harshness Kelly is getting, he left some flow to the game!

Between the 44th and the 72nd minute there were no wides. Crunch time and no one buckled. That says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Loughc wrote: »
    Charlie you're the third KK I heard blaming Barry Kelly, I've asked neutrals and they all thought he had a great game. I'm missing the harshness Kelly is getting, he left some flow to the game!

Well tbf I did say my opinion could only be biased lough, he doesn't seem to like E. Larkin in particular who I thought was the victim of a couple of obvious fouls that went unpunished, but I also think it would be a shame to talk about the Ref after magnificent performances from two great teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

also think it would be a shame to talk about the Ref after magnificent performances from two great teams.

Yet you couldn't help yourself.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Well, that was crazy. My first All Ireland and it was certainly memorable. I haven't watched it on TV but watching that comeback from the stands was like something out of a movie, it was heroic. When we were down by four points with a few minutes to go I was devastated but my hopes were resurgent when we popped over point after point. It was exceptional. Then everything went still for the hawk eye verdict and now, looking at that picture, if a gust of wind blew into the Cusack stand we would be champions, but neither team deserved to lose. I was shaking after the game. Hurling has utterly ruined any other sport for me. It is the best in the world. No contention.

Callanan was superb along with Lar and Bubbles. Bonner's goal was calmly struck but his hand passing was off, however he never gave up. Defense was lacking at times but stood up at the key moments and Stapleton, Mahers, and Bergin were great at bringing the ball forward. I will add more when I watch the game.

Now the hunt is on for the replay tickets. Those lads did themselves so proud yesterday, the mental strength must be at an all-time high. Looking forward to the next outing and while I fear we mightn't take them in the replay I won't lose the faith. Up Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Unreal performance by all the lads, pleasure to be there and witness it in person. I've never seen a game of such pace and everyone on both teams were spot on.
    Credit to everyone involved, best game of hurling ever in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Formosa

So Tipp lads, what will ye do with Ml Cahill the next day?

He's just to good to leave off IMO...probably the only one who played below par yesterday for ye was Gar Ryan, will he be demoted and a bit of rejigging done?

BTW, how did Brendan Maher go, I had to watch it on telly with a baby pulling out of me & whinging, so was distracted, but I didn't notice him a whole lot? Was he a bit down on his usual high standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I was surprised yesterday when an attendabce of 82K + flashed up on the big screen, there seemed to be a good few empty seats in the upper tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Formosa wrote: »

He's just to good to leave off IMO...probably the only one who played below par yesterday for ye was Gar Ryan, will he be demoted and a bit of rejigging done?

BTW, how did Brendan Maher go, I had to watch it on telly with a baby pulling out of me & whinging, so was distracted, but I didn't notice him a whole lot? Was he a bit down on his usual high standard?

How was geroid ryan below par?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

just rewatching the game there - had a segment where claire went in and interviewed Barry Kelly before the game. He's a decent man. He did a good job yesterday - in a game that was unbelievably fast. he allowed it to be that fast. Lost his wife last year - this is a human being - and the likes of Eddie Brennan trying to heap pressure on him last night was in bad taste in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Right now, Barrett and Stapleton are also too good to leave off. Do you throw away form for Cahill? Not knocking Cahill, fantastic but Barrett/Stapleton have the spots locked down and I would be very surprised if O' Shea changed it up. No opinion on Gar Ryan now but will watch again.
    OAOB wrote: »
    Unreal performance by all the lads, pleasure to be there and witness it in person. I've never seen a game of such pace and everyone on both teams were spot on.
    Credit to everyone involved, best game of hurling ever in my opinion

The pace was literally breathtaking! Hands down the best sporting event I've seen, let alone hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Well tbf I did say my opinion could only be biased lough, he doesn't seem to like E. Larkin in particular who I thought was the victim of a couple of obvious fouls that went unpunished, but I also think it would be a shame to talk about the Ref after magnificent performances from two great teams.

Larkin has been expert at drawing frees for years and his reputation probably preceded him. I haven't watched the first call he had for a free yesterday, but it looked like a dive, so that might be why he was given nothing else for the rest of the game.

Holy god above ladies and gentlemen what we witnessed yesterday was truly and utterly magical. Ive a smile on my face even thinking about it. Jesus it was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'd start Cahill midfield next day drop G Ryan and put woody in corner forward.
    Brendan Maher did ok but wasn't as prominent as he was in other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

just rewatching the game there - had a segment where claire went in and interviewed Barry Kelly before the game. He's a decent man. He did a good job yesterday - in a game that was unbelievably fast. he allowed it to be that fast. Lost his wife last year - this is a human being - and the likes of Eddie Brennan trying to heap pressure on him last night was in bad taste in my view.
    Brennan was a disgrace on the SG,if he can't keep his bias to himself he shouldn't be on the show.

I don't if he was a disgrace! He's not Joe Brolly! But, I don't think his comments were in-keep with the general sportsmanship of yesterday. Highlighting that KK had only won 2 from 6 encounters that Kelly has reffed and that Paddy Stapleton should have been sent off was below the belt...

• Advertisement

I don't if he was a disgrace! He's not Joe Brolly! But, I don't think his comments were in-keep with the general sportsmanship of yesterday. Highlighting that KK had only won 2 from 6 encounters that Kelly has reffed and that Paddy Stapleton should have been sent off was below the belt...

I normally like Brennan and think he is a fairly insightful pundit but he was way off the mark with that comment about Kilkenny not crossing the line whenever Kelly is officiating last night.

Think back to Cathal McCallister in 2012. Totally lost control of that game. It became a shambles. Think of Brian Gavin in 2011 who 'let it flow' despite melee after melee, missed a blatant trip on Bonnar and of course the farcial situation where he is right in front of Tommy Walsh, takes a belt in the face yet fails to take the appropriate action.

Kelly was far from perfect yesterday but he done the very best that anyone could have given the intense tempo of the game. I half hope Gavin does get the replay because if we can sneak a win then it will be against all the odds and there will be absolutely no ambiguity then whatsoever.

Advertisement