Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

I am loving all this talk of starting sheflin in the replay, Barrett would completely destroy him. He has to be a nominee for young hurler of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

i don't get the Kilkenny fans' desire to start Shefflin and Walsh, they've got very little match fitness and sharpness between them. Even the best players surely need a run around or a few matches to get up to their best level. I'd go so far and say that starting those players would be an advantage to us too.

abutler101 wrote: »
    I am loving all this talk of starting sheflin in the replay, Barrett would completely destroy him. He has to be a nominee for young hurler of the year.

Shefflin does not have the legs for 70 mins and especially not that level of intensity. Granted while he is their spiritual leader for want of a title, he wont provide much leadership to them over the course of the match if his legs are tiring after no length.

He just cant cover the same ground he once did. Still very useful on the squad in terms of leadership and as an example in the same manner Eoin and Johno provide an example to our lads but even his introduction didnt deter us from making a comeback. Time waits for no man - not even a great like Shefflin.
    Now thats not to say he cant have any impact on this replay. i just cant foresee him having the desired impact if he starts.

As for ourselves while i have the utmost respect and praise for O'Shea and the management i would hope that he wont bring on Eoin in such a crucial juncture of the game similar to Sunday again. Its all very well and good giving him the few minutes against Offaly - Hell you could have even given his father who is in his 70s a few minutes in that game - but to ignore the likes of Denis Maher or even Shane Bourke in such a scenario like Sunday was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

He did bring on Forde - he got a point - an important one - and made a block down

He did bring on Forde - he got a point - an important one - and made a block down

He done really well. Ill admit he'd be a lad id be a bit wary about coming on because he isnt blessed with pace and seems to get a bit nervy but that score and block could hopefully do wonders for him. He is a good wristy hurler to his credit.

• Advertisement

I don't share your worry about his pace. At half time a guy said to me he was mentally weak and a bit soft. Nonsense. He's a leader and our most impressive underage hurler in the forwards in a long time. Probably since Kelly. I have no worries for him.

Saw Eamon O'Shea out walking the prom in Salthill tonight. Looked like a man on top of the world - i saw him cycling it the week of the Limerick game - he was worried looking. Seems in top form now....

I don't share your worry about his pace. At half time a guy said to me he was mentally weak and a bit soft. Nonsense. He's a leader and our most impressive underage hurler in the forwards in a long time. Probably since Kelly. I have no worries for him.

I dont think he is soft but he might be lacking that little bit of confidence. He doesnt have the burst of pace though that a Lar or Callanan would have and a quick corner back would get away from him with little bother but similar to Bubbles he has good wrists. He has the ability to be every bit as good as Bubbles but maybe just lacks the bit of confidence in his own ability. Bubbles being a bould Killenaule man has no shortage of it. :)

Do you think perhaps the burden of captaincy leaned heavy on him for the u21s this year?

Saw Eamon O'Shea out walking the prom in Salthill tonight. Looked like a man on top of the world - i saw him cycling it the week of the Limerick game - he was worried looking. Seems in top form now....

Great to hear that.
    I think though that first win against Galway was a gorilla off his back. He took over a team with very little confidence and faced a serious challenge in getting them back to anything resembling the level that they were at. Once the team began to win under him in the championship, the wheels began to loosen up and the locomotive began to motor nicely.

We're in a good place now. The fans are behind the team and the management and it seems that despite the turbulence that the team were firmly behind the management and bought into their system much in the same way that the Donegal players buy into Jim Mcguinness way of playing.

I don't think so, at all. I think he was one of our lead performers on the night. He took the game to Clare - was out top scorer. He's been doing that for two years now.

Callanan is 6ft 4 - has an unreal length of stride. Who has Lar's pace? Lehane? Your comparing him to freakishly fast players. Took Lar a long time to get to grips with county as with Seamus...people forget that. I just don't understand how people are questioning Forde...can't see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIygLRk7rjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNIGTIaNmkk

Niall O'M plays an important part in both clips but there are question marks over his mind like his brother Niall. Is it on the game...

They are both machines when the mind is right and when in shape. Both, like Seamus Hennessy, have suffered tragedy early in life. I just hope they can make the best out of their potential which is huge...

IN comparison, Forde is a safe bet for a long fruitful career. Led Nenagh CBS to all-ireland - their first - led the Silvermines to senior level...and all-ireland intermediate semi - he's a winner.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, at all. I think he was one of our lead performers on the night. He took the game to Clare - was out top scorer. He's been doing that for two years now.

Callanan is 6ft 4 - has an unreal length of stride. Who has Lar's pace? Lehane? Your comparing him to freakishly fast players. Took Lar a long time to get to grips with county as with Seamus...people forget that. I just don't understand how people are questioning Forde...can't see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIygLRk7rjI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNIGTIaNmkk

Niall O'M plays an important part in both clips but there are question marks over his mind like his brother Niall. Is it on the game...

They are both machines when the mind is right and when in shape. Both, like Seamus Hennessy, have suffered tragedy early in life. I just hope they can make the best out of their potential which is huge...

IN comparison, Forde is a safe bet for a long fruitful career. Led Nenagh CBS to all-ireland - their first - led the Silvermines to senior level...and all-ireland intermediate semi - he's a winner

Granted he looked a real bright prospect back in 2012. Was very impressive for the u21s. Now admittedly i havent seen much of his club performances but he has put in some fantastic performances at under 21. He settled into that game v Clare in the end but his shooting was off that same night. I think he might be just a young player finding it hard to adjust to the life of a senior intercounty hurler. Once he becomes more accustomed he could really take off.

As Herb Brooks (former Olympic Gold medal winning US Ice Hockey coach) once said back in 1980.......

Its almost on a parallel with the challenge that Tipperary faces in this replay.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Kilkenny players and management did not attend the post-match reception in the players’ lounge situated in the bowels of the Hogan Stand.

Traditionally, players from both sides mingle there after big games but Kilkenny headed straight for the team bus, and stayed there, as Tipperary availed of light refreshments.

Wives and girlfriends of the Kilkenny players were present at the post-match event but left when it became clear that their partners would not be joining them.

Don't agree. Can't see how he settled into the game- he was one of our main performers on the night- or how he is finding it hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He done really well. Ill admit he'd be a lad id be a bit wary about coming on because he isnt blessed with pace and seems to get a bit nervy but that score and block could hopefully do wonders for him. He is a good wristy hurler to his credit.

Hello Cyril :)

Cyril

"now we`re hurlin Ger"

"they dont call him fast eddie for nuttin ger"

Don't agree. Can't see how he settled into the game- he was one of our main performers on the night- or how he is finding it hard...

Drove quite a few wides that night if i recall ?

robbiezero wrote: »
    Hello Cyril :)

Good wristy hurler, little flick o'de wrist....BANG! Twas Brillant! :D

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Kilkenny players and management did not attend the post-match reception in the players’ lounge situated in the bowels of the Hogan Stand.

Traditionally, players from both sides mingle there after big games but Kilkenny headed straight for the team bus, and stayed there, as Tipperary availed of light refreshments.

Wives and girlfriends of the Kilkenny players were present at the post-match event but left when it became clear that their partners would not be joining them.

That suggests to me that they are a little bit anxious about that result and are disgusted they didnt close out the game. They are also out of their comfort zone. The Kilkenny teams from a few years back would have drove on in such a position. A 3 point lead would be as good as a 30 point lead.

I think Cody is trying to generate an us and against everyone mentality - where he can get an atmosphere going that can produce a backlash

• Advertisement

Forde certainly got more than he missed-he was top scorer for tipp and from play- he was still outstanding - I think TJ Reid missed a few the other day too - was still outstanding- one where he hit the post from not that far out or that far wide of the goal

if you're comparing him to Bubbles - bubble sis two years older - made his championship bow at 21 - whereas Forde is knocking over long range points in the melting pot of an ALL-Ireland final at 20 - he's classsssssssssssss

I think Cody is trying to generate an us and against everyone mentality - where he can get an atmosphere going that can produce a backlash

They have been relatively quiet. Even the training sessions in the run up to this game were behind closed doors. They learned alot from the circus that erupted in the build up for the drive for five that time. They'll be hoping to suffocate that space the next day out id imagine while distributing perfect long ball down to their forwards akin to 2011 but id imagine they were hoping for that the last three weeks prior to Sunday gone too. If it becomes a dog fight the next day then unfortunately they will more than likely come out on top but if we can somehow go back to the well and find the way to open them up again we'll get over the line this time. Its keeping that back door shut though is the key. We left it far too ajar last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Brian Gavin is ref for the replay.:D

Oh no....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Oh no....

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

What a player Cathal barrett has turned out to be, he has been fantastic for Tipp all year and was brilliant in the final again.

A lot of people in Kilkenny point to Henry's performance in the league final as proof that he's not capable of 70 mins anymore at this level, young Barrett certainly gave Shefflin the run around that day but having seen his subsequent performances on some quality forwards including a bang in form Patrick Horgan, maybe we were a little hard on Henry.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    What a player Cathal barrett has turned out to be, he has been fantastic for Tipp all year and was brilliant in the final again.

A lot of people in Kilkenny point to Henry's performance in the league final as proof that he's not capable of 70 mins anymore at this level, young Barrett certainly gave Shefflin the run around that day but having seen his subsequent performances on some quality forwards including a bang in form Patrick Horgan, maybe we were a little hard on Henry.

Barrett has done really well this year for a young fella however i think the Henry of a few year ago (Say prior to that injury in 2010, or even the 11 and 12 version) might have been a step too soon for him. That said he is quite a prospect.

I was pretty much braced for Gavin getting this game so no real surprise.

Generally i think the quarter final refs always get either the final or a replay ( should it be needed). Kilkenny will indeed be very happy and upbeat about this. There is letting it flow and then there is just letting all sorts of fouls off.

Having said that though we didnt lose the 2011 final because of Brian Gavin. True, he certainly didnt help matters on that day but we lost that game because we never turned up and both management and players were just not prepared for the intense battle Kilkenny were going to bring that day. 16 mins before our first score was registered told its own story really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I was pretty much braced for Gavin getting this game so no real surprise.

Generally i think the quarter final refs always get either the final or a replay ( should it be needed). Kilkenny will indeed be very happy and upbeat about this. There is letting it flow and then there is just letting all sorts of fouls off.

Having said that though we didnt lose the 2011 final because of Brian Gavin. True, he certainly didnt help matters on that day but we lost that game because we never turned up and both management and players were just not prepared for the intense battle Kilkenny were going to bring that day. 16 mins before our first score was registered told its own story really.

This is a bit of a myth imo, I mean Kilkenny and Tipp have just played not only one of the best AllIreland Finals of all time but also one of the most intense games of hurling ever played with not one dirty stroke all through.

I thought this might put the "dark arts" rubbish to bed at last so to suggest B.Gavin will suit Kilkenny's style of play because he lets "all sorts of fouls off" is wide of the mark and a bit of an insult really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Gavin isn't an ideal appointment but I'm going to forget about it until/if he makes a considerable mistake that decides the outcome of the game. For now, it's the 30 guys on the field I'm focused on.

Advertisement